Overrated players?

talking about who was arrested today

Moderators: Shoalzie, Biggie

Overrated players?

Post by Guest »

Two categories here:

Most overrated player in today's game and most overrated player of all time.

In today's game my vote goes to none other than Charles fucking Woodson.

Dude has been living off his college rep for about 5 years now and simply has not been the impact player than he was supposed to be coming out of college.

I'll give him limited props for recognizing that Alice Davis has some sort of strange sexual attraction for the CB position and using this knowledge to earn over 10 mil this year but overall the dude just doesn't make many plays.

Honorable mentions: Ron Mexico, Warren Sapp, Donovan McNabb.

My all time choice for overrated is none other than Terry Bradshaw.

Dude just happened to be drafted at the right time and benefited from a stellar D and some excellent receivers in Bitchburgh.

It was proven over time that Baldy was about as intelligent as a bucket of wet charcoal and his ridiculous rants on his boring ass pregame show only further strengthen my argument.

Throwing the ball a long was does not a great QB make, if that were the case Jay Schroeder would be a hall of famer.

Honorable mention: Bo Jackson, Kellen Winslow Sr, Troy Aikman.

Thoughts?
BSmack
2005 and 2010 JFFL Champion

Post by BSmack »

Bradshaw won 4 Super Bowls. You can make an argument that the first 2 could have been won with a manequien under center. But the last 2 wins were definitely very much a result of, amongst other things, Bradshaw's play under center.

With that bit of idiocy disposed of...

Most Overrated Player now:

1. Warren Sapp
2. Ray Lewis
3. Jamal Lewis

All 3 of thse guys are living on their past glory.

All Time?

Joe Namath comes to mind. Though he was a hell of a QB when he could walk.
"Once upon a time, dinosaurs didn't have families. They lived in the woods and ate their children. It was a golden age."

—Earl Sinclair

"I do have respect for authority even though I throw jelly dicks at them.

- Antonio Brown

Post by Guest »

Bradshaw won 4 Super Bowls. You can make an argument that the first 2 could have been won with a manequien under center. But the last 2 wins were definitely very much a result of, amongst other things, Bradshaw's play under center.
Spoken like a myopic fan at best.

Let's look at that again:
But the last 2 wins were definitely very much a result of, amongst other things, Bradshaw's play under center.
So he was there and his team won....That makes him a great player?

Even Squeelerfan can only say he partially contributed to the wins and he is biased as fuck.

What does that tell you?
jiminphilly
2014 JFFL Champion

Post by jiminphilly »

mvscal wrote:
BSmack wrote:Most Overrated Player now:

2. Ray Lewis
Idiot
Forgive him, Mvscal, he's a steeler fan.
BBMarley
Eternal Scobode

Post by BBMarley »

BSmack wrote:
2. Ray Lewis
3. Jamal Lewis
Dude- you're a moron. Ray Lewis is arguably one of the best at his position. Now that Baltimore is going back to a 4-3.. Lewis is going to again be at the top of every LB list this season. Jamal Lewis is 1 season removed from a serious Knee injury- and still rushed for 1300+ yards on a team that had NO passing game (with Heap injured last year), and missing a few games for legal troubles.

I know you're a steeler fan- but try to put your bias aside.
Last edited by BBMarley on Mon Jun 13, 2005 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Yeah fuckers.... I'm back
Joe in PB
2008 / 2009 JAFFL Champ

Post by Joe in PB »

Throwing the ball a long was does not a great QB make, if that were the case Jay Schroeder would be a hall of famer.
If the Steelers had Schroeder for their QB they wouldn't have won a single Super Bowl IMO. Schroeder, like Kerry Collins doesn't preform well under pressure, and at that time the AFC was the dominate conference. The Steelers had to go through other championship winners like Miami & Oakland to achieve their four Super Bowl victories. Bradshaw made mistakes, but overall always played well under pressure and in big games.

Unlike Jake the fake......who nobody would say is overrated, but who instead qualifies as one of the biggest underachievers now in the league.

Most overrated now?

I'd probably go with Ron Mexico. The running QB is over hyped and probably always will be. But the bottom line is to have success in the NFL, a QB has to be proficient in the pocket. Ron Mexico isn't......

Sapp is past his prime....

McNabb is Jonny U compared to Vick.
Honorable mention for all time overrated: Bo Jackson, Kellen Winslow Sr, Troy Aikman.
Just a bad take period.......
Last edited by Joe in PB on Mon Jun 13, 2005 6:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Felix
2012 JAFFL Champ

Post by Felix »

Joe in PB wrote:
Unlike Jake the fake......who nobody would say is overrated, but who instead qualifies as one of the biggest underachievers now in the league.
You'd better take that back--Jake's leadin us to the promised land.....one shitty throw to Jerry Rice at a time
get out, get out while there's still time
Cicero
Unintentional Humorist

Post by Cicero »

Most Overrated Today:

Ron Vick

Most Overrated All-Time:

Michael Irvin
Killian
Good crossing pattern target

Post by Killian »

Now:
Michael Vick
Charles Woodson

Ever:
Joe Namath
Terrell Davis (or any Bronco RB under Shannahan).
"Well, my wife assassinated my sexual identity, and my children are eating my dreams." -Louis CK
Hapday
Eternal Scobode

Post by Hapday »

Overrated now: Warren Sapp and Meshawn

Alltime: Jim McMahon
Otis wrote: RACK Harper.
BSmack

Post by BSmack »

BBMarley wrote:
BSmack wrote:
2. Ray Lewis
3. Jamal Lewis
Dude- you're a moron. Ray Lewis is arguably one of the best at his position. Now that Baltimore is going back to a 4-3.. Lewis is going to again be at the top of every LB list this season. Jamal Lewis is 1 season removed from a serious Knee injury- and still rushed for 1300+ yards on a team that had NO passing game (with Heap injured last year), and missing a few games for legal troubles.

Yea! They're double teaming me!

sin

RayRay

BTW: We're talking about guys who are overrated NOW. I know what their record going into this year was. I'm saying that if you buy their stock NOW, you are overpaying.
"Once upon a time, dinosaurs didn't have families. They lived in the woods and ate their children. It was a golden age."

—Earl Sinclair

- Antonio Brown
Nixhex
Spliffy

Post by Nixhex »

Jeremy Shockey - Big Mouth, little production. Couldn't hold Tony G's jock.

Post by Guest »

Nixhex wrote:Jeremy Shockey - Big Mouth, little production. Couldn't hold Tony G's jock.
Shockey couldn't hold my jock!

Sincerely,

Kellen Winslow Jr.
ChargerMike
2007/2011 JFFL champ

Post by ChargerMike »

Nixhex wrote:Jeremy Shockey - Big Mouth, little production. Couldn't hold Gates jock.
FTFY
JIP said...Hell, Michael Sam has more integrity than you do.

ChargerMike
2007/2011 JFFL champ

Post by ChargerMike »

Fox sports all-overrated team....

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/3244196

KUTTER
Reads more, posts less

Post by KUTTER »

Jamal Lewis is one season removed from running for 2000 fucking yards.

Sin,

Everyone in the northern hemisphere except for BSmack
Now pretty please, with sugar on top, clean the fucking car.
BBMarley
Eternal Scobode

Post by BBMarley »

BSmack wrote:
BBMarley wrote:
BSmack wrote:
2. Ray Lewis
3. Jamal Lewis

Yea! They're double teaming me!

sin

RayRay

BTW: We're talking about guys who are overrated NOW. I know what their record going into this year was. I'm saying that if you buy their stock NOW, you are overpaying.
And if you really read my response- you would see that I am addressing the fact that both them are still deserving of the respect they garner. R Lewis is going back ot the D that suits him most.. and J Lewis is great- even with injuries and legal troubles. Why can't you steeler fans admit when someone other than the Black & gold is decent?
DallasFanatic
Nobody's Punk

Re: Overrated players?

Post by DallasFanatic »

icantstopfarting wrote:

Thoughts?
Troy Aikman?

Why, because the number of his Superbowl wins triples your IQ?

Sure you can go on and on about that offensive line, blah, blah, blah. The bottom line is Aikman was a leader on the field and demanded the best from everyone on his team. Aikman had one of the best RB's of all time in the backfield with him, but that offense was also based on precision passing with excellent timing. Aikman had "it", and there are an awful lot of QB's that don't have "it".
frodo_biguns
gibbering dumbfuck

Post by frodo_biguns »

Most Overrated player:
1: Javon Walker
2: Michael Vick
3: Keyshawn Johnson
4: Byron Leftwich
5: David Carr

Most Underrated player:
1: Tom Brady
2: Kevin Williams
3: Hines Ward
4: Jimmy Smith/Muhsin Muhammad
5: Tiki Barber
BSmack

Post by BSmack »

BBMarley wrote:And if you really read my response- you would see that I am addressing the fact that both them are still deserving of the respect they garner. R Lewis is going back ot the D that suits him most.. and J Lewis is great- even with injuries and legal troubles. Why can't you steeler fans admit when someone other than the Black & gold is decent?
You obviously haven't read many of my posts. I've propped plenty of players from other teams. I just don't think Jamal and Ray Lewis are going to live up to their hype this year. Jamal is injured and was denied proper rehab thanks to his cell phone activates. He's getting older every year and this is the second time he's been under the knife. Do you know a lot of guys who get better the more they are cut on? Furthermore, Brian Billick (a better evaluator than you) thinks so little of Jamal's chances of returning to form that he is paying Chester Taylor 3 million dollars next year to "back up" Lewis. Know many other teams that front 3 mil in cap space to a backup RB?

And anybody who saw last year's Ravens-Chiefs Monday night game now knows the secret to containing Ray Lewis is to bust him in his little bitch mouth. As soon as you do it, he thinks he's being double-teamed. Ray Lewis is like Mike Tyson without the mental illness. In other words, he's made his rep on being the baddest motherfucker alive. Well, last year I saw quite a few teams sit Ray Ray in his place and he didn't have shit to say or do about it other than some whacked out hallucinations. But hey, I'm sure that those blocking backs will forget how to pancake him because this year he's playing in a 4-3 and not a 3-4. :roll:

—Earl Sinclair

- Antonio Brown
BSmack

Post by BSmack »

frodo_biguns wrote:Most Underrated player:
1: Tom Brady
Are you freakin high???

The only way Tom Brady could get more love from the press would be if John Madden dropped to his knees during the Monday Night coin toss and sucked Brady's dick while Hank Jr. and Al Michaels worked him over with a French Tickler in the taint.

—Earl Sinclair

- Antonio Brown
jackass007
Elwood

Post by jackass007 »

You've all heard my Roy Williams rants before. He can't cover,can't shed blocks, can't blitz...On the good side , he's one of the best tacklers in the league.

3rd and 16, receiver catches a 20 yard pass, Roy hits him hard, then gets up and celebrates.... Crowd loves it. He gets voted to the Pro Bowl.

I just know how many games he has cost the Cowboys over the years. It's truely frustrating.

I'll never get it.
Nixhex
Spliffy

Post by Nixhex »

ChargerMike wrote:
Nixhex wrote:Jeremy Shockey - Big Mouth, little production. Couldn't hold Gates jock.
FTFY
Gates has one good year and now he's better than Gonzalez. Do you work for ESPN or something?
BSmack

Post by BSmack »

mvscal wrote:
BSmack wrote: But hey, I'm sure that those blocking backs will forget how to pancake him because this year he's playing in a 4-3 and not a 3-4. :roll:
Actually they will be using a 46 this year and you have just proven that you really don't know shit about football and are simply a ball sucking homer.
And you have proven that you can't read. If you could, you would know that bbmarley was the one who said the Ravens were going to a 4-3 alignment.

Furthermore, you ignorant peice of shit, the 46 is nothing more than a 4-3 with a saftey stuck in the box. But thanks for playing.

—Earl Sinclair

- Antonio Brown
Nixhex
Spliffy

Post by Nixhex »

I wouldn't say Lewis is overrated. However, I will say that the Chiefs Offensive Line PWND him last year on Monday night football.
BSmack

Post by BSmack »

mvscal wrote:
BSmack wrote:
mvscal wrote: Actually they will be using a 46 this year and you have just proven that you really don't know shit about football and are simply a ball sucking homer.
And you have proven that you can't read. If you could, you would know that bbmarley was the one who said the Ravens were going to a 4-3 alignment.

Furthermore, you ignorant peice of shit, the 46 is nothing more than a 4-3 with a saftey stuck in the box. But thanks for playing.
Nice melt, fuckhead. When you're finished maybe you can address the fact that it is much easier to keep blockers off your linebackers in a 46 or 43 than it is in a 34.
So what you're saying is that Ray plays football well as long as nobody hits him?

Sounds like Deion Sanders.

—Earl Sinclair

- Antonio Brown
ChargerMike
2007/2011 JFFL champ

Post by ChargerMike »

Nixhex wrote:
ChargerMike wrote:
FTFY
Gates has one good year and now he's better than Gonzalez. Do you work for ESPN or something?
Just drinking Gates kool-ade and havin some fun if ya know what I mean. Yes, Gonzo is still #1

BSmack

Post by BSmack »

mvscal wrote:
BSmack wrote:So what you're saying is that Ray plays football well as long as nobody hits him?

Sounds like Deion Sanders.
He plays well regardless. He will play even better in a scheme more suited to his ability.
He's on the downside of his career. You saw Ray at his absolute peak 2 years ago. He'll never get back to where he was.

—Earl Sinclair

- Antonio Brown
Headhunter
Eternal Scobode

Re: Overrated players?

Post by Headhunter »

DallasFanatic wrote:
icantstopfarting wrote:

Thoughts?
Troy Aikman?

Why, because the number of his Superbowl wins triples your IQ?

Sure you can go on and on about that offensive line, blah, blah, blah. The bottom line is Aikman was a leader on the field and demanded the best from everyone on his team. Aikman had one of the best RB's of all time in the backfield with him, but that offense was also based on precision passing with excellent timing. Aikman had "it", and there are an awful lot of QB's that don't have "it".
That Aikman was on his list isn't surprising, that you fell for the troll job is. Don't you know that Aikman was a product of the system. Emmitt was just average (He had a great line, You know) Irvin? Overrated, plus he pushed off. Deion couldn't tackle. Haley used to grab jerseys and he was a 49'er anyway. Erik Williams cheated on every play by going to the facemask. Harper just benefitted from Irvin pushing off.

The only reason we won any Superbowls was because of the line and Jay Novacek. Everyone else was mediocre at best! Oh, and we had to steal Novacek from the cards. Really, when you get right down to it, the Cardinals are the rightful owners of those Lombardi trophies.
Dinsdale wrote:This board makes me feel like Stephen-Hawking-For-The-Day, except my penis is functional and I can walk and stuff.
Joe in PB
2008 / 2009 JAFFL Champ

Post by Joe in PB »

A good take.......finally. :lol:
The only reason we won any Superbowls .....

Let me guess....you were in charge of carrying the ice bucket in 93?
jiminphilly
2014 JFFL Champion

Post by jiminphilly »

frodo_biguns wrote:Most Overrated player:
1: Javon Walker- not sure he's either over or underrated. Give it a year.
2: Michael Vick- agreed.
3: Keyshawn Johnson- I think everyone is onto him.
4: Byron Leftwich- give it another year or 2.
5: David Carr - have not seen him play yet to determine.

Most Underrated player:
1: Tom Brady- yeah right. :roll:
2: Kevin Williams- agreed. He might lead the league in sacks this year
3: Hines Ward- actually he's become a household name in the NFL.
4: Jimmy Smith/Muhsin Muhammad - Smith is done and very overrated. MM proved he's got some left in the tank. I might agree with you on him.
5: Tiki Barber- his fumbles make him exactly what he is.
Nixhex
Spliffy

Post by Nixhex »

ChargerMike wrote:
Nixhex wrote:
ChargerMike wrote: FTFY
Just drinking Gates kool-ade and havin some fun if ya know what I mean. Yes, Gonzo is still #1
8)
Joe in PB
2008 / 2009 JAFFL Champ

Post by Joe in PB »

IMO, even though Ray Lewis is the heart and sole of the team, he is or was even during their Championship year, overrated. Adams & Siragusa were dominate up front, leaving Lewis free to run to the ball 90% of the time. Rarely did he have to take on blockers, certainly never more than one. The same could be said of Derrick Brooks on the Bucs a year later. Because both players made so many tackles they got most of the credit by most in the media.

Don't get me wrong, both were great players, but what really set them apart were the guys in front of them. Their declining performance since seems to prove this point. Although I do agree with mvscal that Lewis despite getting a little long in the tooth should improve his numbers and overall play this season with 4 down linemen upfront..
BBMarley
Eternal Scobode

Post by BBMarley »

mvscal wrote:
BSmack wrote:He's on the downside of his career. You saw Ray at his absolute peak 2 years ago. He'll never get back to where he was.
This scheme suits him to a 'T'.

Barring injury he will be an all pro selection and candidate for defensive player of the year.
Yeah- just like Johnson's scheme sutis this guy- Image

He was good in Philly- did decent in Washington, but not as great- people were calling him overrated. Now he is back in JJ's scheme and is again one of the top LB's in the NFC. Doesn't mean he's not a good LB- they (RL & JT) just excel in certain formats
jiminphilly
2014 JFFL Champion

Post by jiminphilly »

BBMarley wrote:
mvscal wrote:
BSmack wrote:He's on the downside of his career. You saw Ray at his absolute peak 2 years ago. He'll never get back to where he was.
This scheme suits him to a 'T'.

Barring injury he will be an all pro selection and candidate for defensive player of the year.

He was good in Philly- did decent in Washington, but not as great- people were calling him overrated. Now he is back in JJ's scheme and is again one of the top LB's in the NFC. Doesn't mean he's not a good LB- they (RL & JT) just excel in certain formats

Except, even in an off year, Lewis is far better then Trotter or any MLB for that matter.
Dumbass
Elwood

Post by Dumbass »

BSmack wrote:Bradshaw won 4 Super Bowls. You can make an argument that the first 2 could have been won with a manequien under center. But the last 2 wins were definitely very much a result of, amongst other things, Bradshaw's play under center.

With that bit of idiocy disposed of...

Most Overrated Player now:

1. Warren Sapp
2. Ray Lewis
3. Jamal Lewis

All 3 of thse guys are living on their past glory.

All Time?

Joe Namath comes to mind. Though he was a hell of a QB when he could walk.

Bwahahahahaha - Jamal is one year removed from 2000+ yards and a handful of years away from a rookie Super Bowl ring. He may be over amped but rated, don't think so. He is still one of, if not the best running back in the league. In terms of pure power and speed per that build of his, there is not much better. The other thing you have to factor in is that he is playing with a QB that commands no respect and has had little help opening up an offense without a true WR and the loss of Heap last year. When Priest and Tomlinson can carry their teams to the big one against the best defenses in the conference, they'll get the respect.

Ray? Um bwhahaha. Dude missed half a seaosn two years ago and was still going apeshit in it and last year still did quite well in a new 3-4.
Check the schemes and headlines, friend, the Ravens are going to a 4-6 this year and Ray is going to be roaming the fields at will.

Sapp - How high of a rating is he still carrying?
BBMarley
Eternal Scobode

Post by BBMarley »

jiminphilly wrote:
BBMarley wrote:
mvscal wrote: This scheme suits him to a 'T'.

Except, even in an off year, Lewis is far better then Trotter or any MLB for that matter.
Absolutley- just demonstrating a point
jackass007
Elwood

Post by jackass007 »

Just let me throw the Dan Marino name in there.

With out a doubt, he didn't have "it"
Dumbass
Elwood

Post by Dumbass »

1) Kyle Boller - He has a starting job, so he must be over rated.

2) Carnell Williams - Yea, how can I over rate a rookie? Well, I just did. I don't think he'll be worth what is generally expected from a top 5 pick.

3) Ben Roethisberger - He's a modern aged Steeler QB, you know it isn't gonna last.

Overall, I have to say these days, most of the guys getting the recognition deserve it. Guys that don't put up pretty much get called out now. It's improving that is for sure.
Rushville
Elwood

Post by Rushville »

Most overrated in today's game...

I'll agree with the Michael Vick vote. Throwing accuracy trumps speed when you're a QB.

Most overrated all time...

1.) Tony Mandarich
2.) Brian Bosworth - This should trump the Bo Jackson vote.
3.) Ryan Leaf - Remember the whole country thought he was better than Peyton Manning at one point.