Shit That's Blooming Now

It's the 17th Anniversary for T1B - Fuckin' A

Moderator: Jesus H Christ

Mikey
Carbon Neutral since 1955

Shit That's Blooming Now

Post by Mikey »

Spring has just started and some of the native plants have begun to pop.

Ceanothus "Ray Hartman" and verbena lilacina (in the pot)

Ceanothus "concha"

Ceanothus "blue jeans"

Ceanothus "Julia Phelps" (just planted this one a couple of months ago)

Ceanothus "not sure what variety"

Western redbud

Baja nightshade, with desert (apricot) mallow. The mallow will be covered with flowers in a few weeks)

Salvia "bee's bliss"

Hummingbird sage

Red monkeyflower

Blue-eyed grass

Bush sunflower

Deerweed

California golden poppies (our state flower)

Ken
Most epic roll-call thread starter EVER

Re: Shit That's Blooming Now

Post by Ken »

Just returned from the Monterey area a couple days ago. Yes, the flowers are starting to hit their stride. Not much Ceonothus in the area, but I do miss seeing it even if just along the roadsides. Once you get a bit further south into the central coast (Lompoc, Santa Barbara), it is much more prevalent.

The California Poppies were of course excellent. Even flying into Monterey, you could see hillsides vibrant w/their orange color.

Re: Monkey flower (Mimulus)- In the floriculture industry, about 15 years ago, there was a movement to refine and create hybrids of it for home gardens. Several breeding companies did their best, introduced a series or two but they never took hold and went by the wayside. This was primarily due to two things:

1. Still remained an arid climate plant thus limiting its distribution in N.A.
2. Still remained sticky-leaved as shit- an immediate turnoff to the end consumer.

Still not much happening in my gardens with the exception of the Hellebores which are spectacular. Too early here in the 'burgh.
Ken
Most epic roll-call thread starter EVER

Post by Ken »

Oh and btw, Mikey- you should look into some other items for your gardens tailored for your area. There has been a significant amount of breeding in Anigozanthos (Kangaroo Paws), Agastache, and Salvia greggii. All will do quite well in your climate, especially the Anigozanthos. There are some excellent varieties of each of these out there.
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Ken wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 9:16 pm Just returned from the Monterey area a couple days ago. Yes, the flowers are starting to hit their stride. Not much Ceonothus in the area, but I do miss seeing it even if just along the roadsides. Once you get a bit further south into the central coast (Lompoc, Santa Barbara), it is much more prevalent.

The California Poppies were of course excellent. Even flying into Monterey, you could see hillsides vibrant w/their orange color.

Re: Monkey flower (Mimulus)- In the floriculture industry, about 15 years ago, there was a movement to refine and create hybrids of it for home gardens. Several breeding companies did their best, introduced a series or two but they never took hold and went by the wayside. This was primarily due to two things:

1. Still remained an arid climate plant thus limiting its distribution in N.A.
2. Still remained sticky-leaved as shit- an immediate turnoff to the end consumer.

Still not much happening in my gardens with the exception of the Hellebores which are spectacular. Too early here in the 'burgh.
The wild ceanothus here in San Diego County are spectacular right now. Unfortunately the bloom only lasts a few weeks. We're planning on a hike in a local conservancy area (Monseratte Mountain), probably tomorrow. It can be almost overwhelming. Monkeyflowers are funny. We have some red and some yellow (not blooming yet). Some have thrived, some have done OK for a while and some just never made it. They do grow wild in the area.
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Ken wrote: Sun Mar 24, 2024 9:25 pm Oh and btw, Mikey- you should look into some other items for your gardens tailored for your area. There has been a significant amount of breeding in Anigozanthos (Kangaroo Paws), Agastache, and Salvia greggii. All will do quite well in your climate, especially the Anigozanthos. There are some excellent varieties of each of these out there.
I'm not a purist, but pretty much trying to stick to native varieties these days. California natives, if not strictly local. So the salvia would fit, but not the others. I have probably half a dozen salvia varieties now, including several varieties of Cleveland sage, and a lot of salvia apiana (white sage), and hybrids of salvia sonomensis, but just not blooming yet. We have some trees (like like jacaranda and strawberry tree) that aren't native but fit in well with the culture. A bunch of eriogonum varieties (a couple that are endemic to the Channel Islands) and arctostaphylos (manzanitas) as well. Come to think of it, if I put together a full plant list it would be pretty long, including fremontodentron, artemisia, a lot of toyons, coyote brush Tecate cypress, and coast live oaks, to name a few.
Roach
The Space Man

Post by Roach »

Very nice job Mikey! It is still a bit wintery here but I can offer this. A volunteer pansy from last year's hanging basket.

:drink:
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

It's a start...

:drink: