It's the 17th Anniversary for T1B - Fuckin' A

Moderator: Jesus H Christ

Steve Jobs
2023/24 3BB Champion, 2022/2023 3BB CoChampion

More San Francisco Killjoy

Post by Steve Jobs »

What fun is this . . .

San Francisco installs nets to stop suicides off Golden Gate Bridge

A definite sense of loss of romance and beauty for frisco. (that pisses off locals to use that term frisco. Frisco, frisco, frisco, vase vaz vaz*)

* see Chewy commercial vas
Mikey
Carbon Neutral since 1955

Re: More San Francisco Killjoy

Post by Mikey »

I don’t get it. Can’t they just climb over the net once they hit it? Might collect a decent amount of trash, though.

Frisco is in Texas, BTW, and there’s a vas deferens between the two. Anyone using that for San Francisco is just showing their geographic ignorance.

Baghdad by the Bay, and “The City” are acceptable if you can’t bring yourself to use the correct name.
FiatLux
Eternal Scobode

Post by FiatLux »

https://youtu.be/gRYZijLZR-Q?si=YEwhFdR2euY03QYV

...song about committing suicide by jumping off the Golden Gate Bridge by band from San Francisco.
Last edited by FiatLux on Fri Jan 05, 2024 6:25 am, edited 3 times in total.
StrawMan
Elwood

Post by StrawMan »

Mikey wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 10:09 pmFrisco is in Texas, BTW, and there’s a vas deferens between the two. Anyone using that for San Francisco is just showing their geographic ignorance.
Well played.
Smackie Chan
Eternal Scobode

Post by Smackie Chan »

Mikey wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 10:09 pm I don’t get it. Can’t they just climb over the net once they hit it?
I was thinking the same thing until I read the article. Says it’d be like jumping into a cheese grater. Net is made of steel. You’d prolly wanna make that second leap post haste.
"I see everything twice!"
kcdave
crusader

Post by kcdave »

As soon as I saw the net was made from "marine grade stainless steel"
I knew that prick was going to be very expensive.
I had no idea it would 224 FUCKING MILLION! :hammer:

ffs
mvscal
Blank

Post by mvscal »

kcdave wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 12:42 am As soon as I saw the net was made from "marine grade stainless steel"

ffs
So whose brother in law got the contract for that? California is completely retarded/corrupt.
Screw_Michigan wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:39 pmUnlike you tards, I actually have functioning tastebuds and a refined pallet.
Diego in Seattle
Rouser Of Rabble

Post by Diego in Seattle »

mvscal wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 1:16 am
kcdave wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 12:42 am As soon as I saw the net was made from "marine grade stainless steel"

ffs
So whose brother in law got the contract for that? California is completely retarded/corrupt.
Perhaps it was someone from Whitefish, MT who's never done that sort of work before....
“Left Seater” wrote:So charges are around the corner?
9/27/22
Dr_Phibes
P.H.D - M.B.E. - O.B.E.

Post by Dr_Phibes »

Smackie Chan wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 12:04 am
Mikey wrote: Thu Jan 04, 2024 10:09 pm I don’t get it. Can’t they just climb over the net once they hit it?
I was thinking the same thing until I read the article. Says it’d be like jumping into a cheese grater. Net is made of steel. You’d prolly wanna make that second leap post haste.

It seems an enormous leap in psychology to go from a telephone prevention hotline to threat of mutilation. How would you keep a statistic on someone who wandered to the bridge, thought 'f*ck that', then found a decent cliff to jump off?

Weird undertones to this.
Diego in Seattle
Rouser Of Rabble

9/27/22
Dr_Phibes
P.H.D - M.B.E. - O.B.E.

Post by Dr_Phibes »

Well not really, there's nothing definitive. Lots of 'some studies show' and 'some people think'. Statistically it's vague. It's an enormous and costly undertaking. More interested in how the rationale evolves - politics and grift do seem the most likely.
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

ffs
Te bridge is 1.7 miles long, so there’s 3.4 miles of netting. That works out to about $66 million per mile, or $12,000 per foot.

I’m sure it’s worth every penny. To someone.
FiatLux
Eternal Scobode

Post by FiatLux »

They say someone jumps every couple of weeks. Its more like every day. One of them almost hit my friend while he was sitting on his board waiting for a wave at Ft. Point. That's where they usually jump from.
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Supposedly there have been about 2,000 since 1937. If it prevents the next 2,000 then that works out to $112,000 per.
Carson
2012 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by Carson »

FiatLux wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 6:45 am They say someone jumps every couple of weeks. Its more like every day.
When's your turn?
The Seer
Just the Facts

Post by The Seer »

Daredevil high diver Ray Woods leaps from Seattle's Aurora Bridge on March 17, 1935.

When Woods announced his jump from the Aurora Bridge in Seattle, he noted that it would be his highest jump yet. The five-year-old bridge had already gained a sad reputation as a spot for suicide jumpers due to its height of 164 feet. No one had yet survived the fall.

At 3:00, Woods climbed on top of a wooden box placed near the bridge railing directly in the center of the span. The crowd cheered as he stepped over the railing, facing the roadway with his back to the water, the sunlight playing off his red hair and red bathing suit. The cheers went silent as Woods stepped backwards, off into space. He bent at the waist as he plummeted downward, flipping his legs up so as to enter the water arms first.

Woods hit Lake Union hard, his body almost at a 45-degree angle, not perpendicular as he had hoped. The crowd remained silent as he floated there without moving, but when he raised his arms to signal that he was okay, the cheers rang out again. Whistle blasts erupted from all of the nearby pleasure boats.

After the daredevil was taken ashore, he was given a quick rub-down by Washington Athletic Club trainer, Ted Dash. Before the jump, Dash recommended that Woods wear a rubber chest protector. Upon examination, he noticed that the protector had burst open in four places, and probably saved Woods' life.

One month after Woods's jump in Seattle, another suicide attempt was made from the Aurora Bridge, but this time the jumper survived. On May 15, a 20-year-old student nurse from Virginia Mason Hospital fell to the water, and suffered only a dislocated hip and a fractured collar bone The Seattle Post-Intelligencer noted that because she jumped from the railing and not the bridge deck, she had beaten Ray Woods's record high dive by three feet.

'bode, nurse.
E UNUM PLURIBUS
Sudden Sam
Official T1B Gigolo

Post by Sudden Sam »

Carson wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 1:40 pm
FiatLux wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 6:45 am They say someone jumps every couple of weeks. Its more like every day.
When's your turn?
:lol:
Diego in Seattle
Rouser Of Rabble

Carson wrote: Fri Jan 05, 2024 1:40 pm
When's your turn?
Wishing death upon someone...very classy.:meds:
9/27/22
Steve Jobs
2023/24 3BB Champion, 2022/2023 3BB CoChampion

Post by Steve Jobs »

I have to Dive deeper into all this, like how exactly do jumpers die? Here is some fun info. Of course nowdays with the new net, and as noted above, folks will be extruded through the steel webbing, then perhaps bouncing off if not oozed through.

The deck of the bridge is about 245 feet (75 m) above the water. After a fall of four seconds, jumpers hit the water at around 75 mph (120 km/h). Most of the jumpers die due to impact trauma. About 5% of the jumpers survive the initial impact but generally drown or die of hypothermia in the cold water. Most suicidal jumps from the bridge have occurred on the side facing the bay.

Over 720 persons are reported to have died jumping from the Golden Gate Bridge. A review of 100 consecutive autopsies showed that, in the majority of cases, massive pulmonary contusion, pneumothorax, laceration or perforation of the heart, great vessels, or lungs by displaced ribs were the causes of immediate death. Irreparable fractures of the liver or spleen were the most common abdominal injuries. The persons fatally injured appeared to have entered the water in a horizontal position, experiencing maximal deceleration. In contrast, six survivors entered the water feet first with more gradual deceleration. These survivors remained conscious but sustained similar injuries of lesser degree; only one sustained rib fractures. Fifty per cent had fractures of the liver or spleen requiring operative therapy. Fifty per cent sustained lung contusions and subsequent pneumothoraces. Suspicion of underlying injuries to the liver, spleen, and lungs is essential during resuscitation of those who survive impact with water.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Suicides_ ... ate_Bridge

https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/7265332 ... e%20death.
FiatLux
Eternal Scobode

Post by FiatLux »

https://www.newspapers.com/article/the- ... /33259283/

This is a guy I used to surf with. Not a friend but knew him from surfing in Marin. I remember a friend saying to me. That diver guy from Marin... Jumped off the bridge and tried to kill himself. Blew my mind. Good looking kid built like a rock. They say the only reason he lived is he was all jacked up from diving etc. The guy actually swam to shore afterwards. Unreal. It was weird seeing him in the water again 3 months later. Didn't say a thing to him about what had happened. But still remember it to this day.
d-townmike
"Q-Town"

Post by d-townmike »

Well, there was the "Frisco Railroad" which was the short name for "St. Louis & San Francisco RR" now BNSF.
Don't blame me, I voted for Trump
kcdave wrote:kicked my own ass many times