Screwy

It's the 17th Anniversary for T1B - Fuckin' A

Moderator: Jesus H Christ

Sudden Sam
Official T1B Gigolo

Screwy

Post by Sudden Sam »

Do you still live in DC? Writing?

If so, is crime to the point you have to be watching your back when out and about?

I’m not playing politics with the questions. Just curious as to how bad it is.
Innocent Bystander
Koko B1

Re: Screwy

Post by Innocent Bystander »

Sudden Sam wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 11:08 pm Do you still live in DC? Writing?

If so, is crime to the point you have to be watching your back when out and about?

You read about the Secret Service being victims of three attempted carjackings this year, eh?
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

Sudden Sam wrote: Mon Nov 13, 2023 11:08 pm Do you still live in DC? Writing?

Yes, I still live in DC. I've always lived neighborhoods with lots of diversity in income levels and races, so I've never had the sense that nothing could ever happen to me. I still keep my normal routines.

I don't drive so I don't have to worry about being carjacked. I'm rarely out late.

A lot of this is suburban hyseria. All the people who say they won't come into DC because of "crime" are simply suburban hysterics.
kcdave wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 8:05 am
I was actually going to to join in the best bets activity here at good ole T1B...The guy that runs that contest is a fucking prick
Derron wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 3:07 pm
You are truly one of the worst pieces of shit to ever post on this board. Start giving up your paycheck for reparations now and then you can shut the fuck up about your racist blasts.
Sudden Sam
Official T1B Gigolo

Post by Sudden Sam »

IB, a piece about the president’s granddaughter and the Secret Service made me look into the numbers.

Thanks, Screwy. Just wondered if the uptick in crime was altering your routine.

Be safe.

I work part time in Montgomery. Crime there has soared over the past 4-5 years. Gunfire nightly in neighborhoods where stuff like that never used to happen. Shootings seem to be daily. Murders up. People practically begging to work remotely.

Nothing like DC or other large cities, of course, but concerning.
kcdave
crusader

Post by kcdave »

Screw_Michigan wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 12:06 am I don't drive so I don't have to worry about being carjacked.
Elaborate please. How does one live a normal life without driving?
Are you located in some urban center where everything is a block or
less away? Are you like a cripple or something with a caretaker?
Do you have a job? DUI, lost your license?
So many questions that need answers.
Diego in Seattle
Rouser Of Rabble

Post by Diego in Seattle »

kcdave wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 12:54 am
Screw_Michigan wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 12:06 am I don't drive so I don't have to worry about being carjacked.
Elaborate please. How does one live a normal life without driving?
Are you located in some urban center where everything is a block or
less away? Are you like a cripple or something with a caretaker?
Do you have a job? DUI, lost your license?
So many questions that need answers.
Apparently you've never been to DC. Google Metro in DC.
“Left Seater” wrote:So charges are around the corner?
9/27/22
Mikey
Carbon Neutral since 1955

Post by Mikey »

Many people living in big cities don’t drive. They can take public transportation to work or school. My brother lives in NYC with his wife and two kids, and doesn’t own a car. In some areas the cost for permanent parking is almost prohibitive, but you don’t really need one to get around. He also lives in London part of the time and doesn’t need a car there either.

For me in a “semi-rural” area of LoCal, I could not get by without a car. It’s about five miles just to get to a grocery store.

Of course it cost me my testicles to get an EV. Jury is still out on whether or not it was worth that price.
Sudden Sam
Official T1B Gigolo

Post by Sudden Sam »

I can’t imagine not having the freedom of owning a vehicle. Of course if parking fees make it prohibitively expensive, I understand.

Like Mikey, I’m out away from things. 7 miles to nearest gas station. 10 to closest restaurant. So a 4 wheel contraption is a necessity.
mvscal
Blank

Post by mvscal »

Sudden Sam wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 1:45 am I can’t imagine not having the freedom of owning a vehicle.
Screwy is the poster boy for You'll Own Nothing and Like It. He also doesn't have the freedom of doing laundry in his own home. Well, he doesn't own a home either. Rewind. OK. He also doesn't have the freedom of doing laundry in the place he rents from somebody else.

Total loser.
Screw_Michigan wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:39 pmUnlike you tards, I actually have functioning tastebuds and a refined pallet.
kcdave
crusader

Post by kcdave »

Sudden Sam wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 1:45 am I can’t imagine not having the freedom of owning a vehicle.
I can, and it sucked although it was close to 40 years ago.
No car in Basic and no car my first 4 mos in Germany.
The idea of doing so today is preposterous.
I guess it is a little easier to do so today with having
the ability to have virtually everything delivered to your
door, but I would hate not having the freedom to be able
to hop in my car, or my truck and go wherever, whenever.
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

mvscal wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 2:30 am Screwy is the poster boy for You'll Own Nothing and Like It. He also doesn't have the freedom of doing laundry in his own home. Well, he doesn't own a home either. Rewind. OK. He also doesn't have the freedom of doing laundry in the place he rents from somebody else.

Total loser.
I'm a fiscal conservative. Now kiss my ass, flyover hick.
I was actually going to to join in the best bets activity here at good ole T1B...The guy that runs that contest is a fucking prick
You are truly one of the worst pieces of shit to ever post on this board. Start giving up your paycheck for reparations now and then you can shut the fuck up about your racist blasts.
Softball Bat
Eternal Scobode

Post by Softball Bat »

I lived in S. Korea for 17 years and had no car.
88 wrote:I have no idea who Weaselberg is
FiatLux
Eternal Scobode

Post by FiatLux »

I only use my car for surfing or when traveling outside The City. I keep it parked under my building. Don't need it when everything is within a couple of blocks. Walking is your friend.

I rent vehicles for work outside of the state. Texas show is almost over. Then I'll head from Texas to Mexico for a bit where I'll rent a car in Texas and drive in.
Diego in Seattle
Rouser Of Rabble

Screwy;
How often do you use the subway, and does it get you close to a shopping center (Pentagon City comes to mind, but I don't know if there's any grocery stores close by)?
9/27/22
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

Diego in Seattle wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 5:59 pm Screwy;
How often do you use the subway, and does it get you close to a shopping center (Pentagon City comes to mind, but I don't know if there's any grocery stores close by)?
I use it almost every day. I use the bus roughly four times a week.

There's three grocery stores within walking distance. I live in Columbia Heights. A Lidl just opened and I basically only shop there now. The Target in CH is within walking distance and is still pretty good despite all the crazy retail stories in urban centers you've been hearing about.

It's easy to get to the Pentagon City mall via Metro if I need to get there. I'll often just take the bus to the Macy's downtown.
Last edited by Screw_Michigan on Tue Nov 14, 2023 6:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

Softball Bat wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 4:44 pm I lived in S. Korea for 17 years and had no car.
Do you not live there anymore? I know you said you're touring the US but I didn't think you left SK permanently.
StrawMan
Elwood

Post by StrawMan »

FiatLux wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 5:01 pm I rent vehicles for work outside of the state. Texas show is almost over. Then I'll head from Texas to Mexico for a bit where I'll rent a car in Texas and drive in.
Do rental car companies in TX sell collision and comprehensive coverage for traveling in Mexico? Most US insurance companies exclude coverage while driving in Mexico.

Or do you wing it and hope for the best?
FiatLux
Eternal Scobode

Post by FiatLux »

StrawMan wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 7:00 pm
FiatLux wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 5:01 pm I rent vehicles for work outside of the state. Texas show is almost over. Then I'll head from Texas to Mexico for a bit where I'll rent a car in Texas and drive in.
Do rental car companies in TX sell collision and comprehensive coverage for traveling in Mexico? Most US insurance companies exclude coverage while driving in Mexico.

Or do you wing it and hope for the best?

I get Mexican insurance. It runs around $20 a month if I'm using my personal car. I usually use my own car when I head down there after the show. I may still use my own car, I'm just not sure if I'll drive from The City to Texas or fly out to close up.
Softball Bat
Eternal Scobode

Post by Softball Bat »

Screw_Michigan wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 6:26 pm
Softball Bat wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 4:44 pm I lived in S. Korea for 17 years and had no car.
Do you not live there anymore? I know you said you're touring the US but I didn't think you left SK permanently.
I will be in the U.S. until March of next year, and then paln to return to Korea for about 6 months.
In the fall of 2024,I intend to come back to live permanently in the U.S.

This is now a transition phase for me, and I currently have no place I can really say is "home."
Softball Bat
Eternal Scobode

Post by Softball Bat »

Screw_Michigan wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 6:25 pm
Diego in Seattle wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 5:59 pm Screwy;
I use it almost every day. I use the bus roughly four times a week.

There's three grocery stores within walking distance. I live in Columbia Heights. A Lidl just opened and I basically only shop there now. The Target in CH is within walking distance and is still pretty good despite all the crazy retail stories in urban centers you've been hearing about.

It's easy to get to the Pentagon City mall via Metro if I need to get there. I'll often just take the bus to the Macy's downtown.
Autos are a large money hole.

If you are able to avoid owning one, good on you!

Jmo.
Rootbeer

Post by Rootbeer »

Softball Bat wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 8:38 pm I'll often just take the bus to the Macy's downtown.
Even if it's dreary?
Ain't nothin' like the real thing, baby.
kcdave
crusader

Post by kcdave »

Softball Bat wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 8:38 pmAutos are a large money hole.
They certainly can be, but don't half to be.
Savvy shopping i.e. buying used, searching out highly reliable
models, avoiding models with high theft rates or high insurance
replacement costs, etc. can save you a tremendous amount of
$$$. If you do the opposite though, you will pay thru the nose
and keep on paying for years to come.
Biggie
The Great Illuminator

Post by Biggie »

Rootbeer wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 11:02 pm
Softball Bat wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 8:38 pm I'll often just take the bus to the Macy's downtown.
Even if it's dreary?
UNWAR ennui
Rootbeer

Post by Rootbeer »

Biggie wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 1:23 am
Even if it's dreary?
UNWAR ennui
Getting hopped up on moltrins helps.
Ain't nothin' like the real thing, baby.
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

kcdave wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 12:36 am
The point, idiot, is that requiring Americans to pay $900/month (everything included, per AAA) to own and operate personal transportation and thus be a contributing member of society is a huge drain on our economy and a large barrier to upward mobility. Even small towns used to have robust streetcar and public transportation systems before the automakers bought off the politicians, who ripped out the train tracks.

I did the math a few years ago and I estimated I would have half my savings if I was forced to own and operate a personal automobile in DC. I'm fortunate.
Diego in Seattle
Rouser Of Rabble

Screw_Michigan wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 3:03 am
The point, idiot, is that requiring Americans to pay $900/month (everything included, per AAA) to own transportation and thus be a contributing member of society is a huge drain on our economy and a large barrier to upward mobility. Even small towns used to have robust streetcar and public transportation systems before the automakers bought off the politicians, who ripped out the train tracks.

I did the math a few years ago and I estimated I would have half my savings if I was forced to own and operate a personal automobile in DC. I'm fortunate.
At least flying into DC it's considerably cheaper to fly into BWI than the two airports actually in DC. While the MARC can get you to BWI that's more expense for a resident than a visitor when neither has a car. Where do you fly in/out of?
9/27/22
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

Diego in Seattle wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 3:13 am At least flying into DC it's considerably cheaper to fly into BWI than the two airports actually in DC. While the MARC can get you to BWI that's more expense for a resident than a visitor when neither has a car. Where do you fly in/out of?
I have been flying a lot out of DCA recently, but I'll fly out of wherever is cheapest. Used to fly out of BWI for years because SWA had the cheapest fare to GRR.

MARC can be expensive for families. Probably cheaper to get a taxi or simply drive and pay for parking at BWI. It also doesn't run that often at night, so if you miss a train, it might be an hour until the next one.
Biggie
The Great Illuminator

Post by Biggie »

Rootbeer wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 1:59 am
Biggie wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 1:23 am
Even if it's dreary?
UNWAR ennui
Getting hopped up on moltrins helps.
As does soaking the tootsies.
kcdave
crusader

Post by kcdave »

Screw_Michigan wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 3:03 am
The point, idiot, is that requiring Americans to pay $900/month (everything included, per AAA) to own and operate personal transportation and thus be a contributing member of society is a huge drain on our economy and a large barrier to upward mobility. Even small towns used to have robust streetcar and public transportation systems before the automakers bought off the politicians, who ripped out the train tracks.

Well I see you're still a fucking prick.

The point, idiot, is that it you don't have to pay anywhere close
to $900/month if you know what the hell you are doing. I pay less than
half of that for 2 SUV's and a crew cab Z71.
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

kcdave wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 10:03 am Well I see you're still a fucking prick.

The point, idiot, is that it you don't have to pay anywhere close
to $900/month if you know what the hell you are doing. I pay less than
half of that for 2 SUV's and a crew cab Z71.
Sure. Every driver says that to defend their love of a car supremacist transportation infrastructure. It's really not THAT expensive!

And of course, you have a ridiculously oversized pickup truck. It's muh freedom!
Innocent Bystander
Koko B1

Post by Innocent Bystander »

Screw_Michigan wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 3:20 am It also doesn't run that often at night, so if you miss a train, it might be an hour until the next one.
This is the appeal of cars.
Sudden Sam
Official T1B Gigolo

Post by Sudden Sam »

Some of us enjoy driving. Or riding motorcycles.

Working on them. Waxing them. Taking care of a piece of machinery.
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

Innocent Bystander wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 5:12 pm
Screw_Michigan wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 3:20 am It also doesn't run that often at night, so if you miss a train, it might be an hour until the next one.
This is the appeal of cars.
Why pay out the ass to park at an airport when you can pay $8 each way and take the train?
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Softball Bat wrote: Tue Nov 14, 2023 8:35 pm
This is now a transition phase for me, and I currently have no place I can really say is "home."
https://youtu.be/6Hfmewfrkn0?si=cRDg_UwlVya2NCO3

Can't seem to embed youtube here anymore?

OK so it works with Edge but not with Chrome. WTF?
Roach
The Space Man

Post by Roach »

The management is working on the video embed problem. I'm told there will be a fix in a week. Or so.
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Roach wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 7:10 pm The management is working on the video embed problem. I'm told there will be a fix in a week. Or so.
Very strange. I can see the embedded video if I use MS Edge, or Safari on my iPhone, but not Chrome.
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

Mikey wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 6:54 pm Can't seem to embed youtube here anymore?
This sordid clambake sucks horse cocks.
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Screw_Michigan wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 8:38 pm
Mikey wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 6:54 pm Can't seem to embed youtube here anymore?
This sordid clambake sucks horse cocks.
That may be a little harsh.
But I see your point.
kcdave
crusader

Post by kcdave »

Screw_Michigan wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 1:20 pm Sure. Every driver says that to defend their love of a car supremacist transportation infrastructure. It's really not THAT expensive!

And of course, you have a ridiculously oversized pickup truck. It's muh freedom!
And with that, I am now aware that you are some sort of
tree hugging whack job.
My "oversized truck," is exactly the size I need to conduct
my side business. It is not a daily driver. I have a more economical
suv for that. My truck is a tool used for making $$ and comes in
very handy if I want to buy something that won't fit in a car.
I don't think I need to go very far out on a limb here, but I am
of the opinion that I don't pay much more per month to own, fuel,
and maintain 3 vehicles than you do bus, taxi, train or Uber your
ass around town, if you have any type of commute and are not
a total recluse. That shit adds up quickly, and time is precious
also. How much time do you stand around with your thumb up
your ass waiting on someone else to take you somewhere, or waste
walking somewhere?
mvscal
Blank

Post by mvscal »

kcdave wrote: Thu Nov 16, 2023 12:57 am
Screw_Michigan wrote: Wed Nov 15, 2023 1:20 pm Sure. Every driver says that to defend their love of a car supremacist transportation infrastructure. It's really not THAT expensive!

And with that, I am now aware that you are some sort of
tree hugging whack job.
Just a regular, garden variety whack job. Has it really taken you this long to figure it out? He lives in a toilet and thinks its a hot tub.
Screw_Michigan wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:39 pmUnlike you tards, I actually have functioning tastebuds and a refined pallet.