Question about graphic content

"Hey Mikey"

Moderator: Mikey

HighPlainsGrifter
Elwood

Question about graphic content

Post by HighPlainsGrifter »

I'm planning to butcher a steer this fall. I grew up the son of a butcher and I know how to break down an animal into edible pieces. I prefer grass fed and grass finished.

I usually buy local and process my own because I don't trust commercial meat producers. My dad is currently a USDA meat inspector for a few huge commercial processors and he tells me some horror stories. I can share those as well but again...graphic. Some of this stuff you might not want to know. Ignorance is bliss and whatnot.

Would there be any interest in seeing my process from hoof to freezer? Of course I won't show the kill shot but what about some of the other imagery? What lines should not be crossed in here? When are graphic warning tags justified?

Talk to me, Goose.
Mikey
Carbon Neutral since 1955

Re: Question about graphic content

Post by Mikey »

I have no problem with that and would be interested to see it. Anything food or drink related is allowed here (well almost anything). I think there’s a flag for graphic content that you can put on the thread title. I’ll have to look into that.

I almost hate to admit that I occasionally participate in the local “NextDoor” app. I’ve had a few posts removed by mods, and even been suspended a couple of times for being “ disrespectful.” :lol: :lol: Usually no more disrespectful than the posts I’m responding to but I guess it’s like the NFL where the reaction often gets penalized instead of the original offense. Where am I going with this? A couple of days ago some guy posted a picture of a baby rattlesnake that he accidentally ran over in his driveway. It was somewhat squished, obviously, but he thought it would be informational, at least showing that the babies may not have any rattles.

Some folks thanked him for it but there were a bunch that said did you really have to post a picture of a dead animal? So disturbing. Some people might be triggered. Couldn’t you just find a stock photo of a baby rattler?

WTF? I couldn’t help myself and wrote that a lot of us eat dead animals almost every day. How is it any less disturbing to see refrigerator cases in the supermarket full of cut up dead cows and chickens?

As far as this forum is concerned, if you don’t like the imagery then don’t open the thread. Please, no dead humans though or pictures of folks with limbs removed at industrial processors.
Roach
The Space Man

Post by Roach »

I would like to see the whole process, but it's Mikey's forum.

And we have a cool insight into the process with HPG. Hell yeah, reality is what it is. Not just pictures, we know your writing skilz.
88BuckeyeGrad
Elwood

Post by 88BuckeyeGrad »

My wife’s father (deceased, unfortunately), had a degree from Cornell’s hotel/restaurant program and could cook like no man I’ve met other than his son. His father was a butcher, and came from a long line of butchers. I’ve watched them break down beef and pork many times. I would like to see your techniques. And I would like to know why you favor grass fed beef. Our experience has been that grass fed beef tastes like ass compared to corn fed beef (of the same stock), and beef finished with barley is off the fucking hook.