Mark Johnson Fired as Head Coach at A&M

PING!

The Tourney has begun!

Moderators: Left Seater, Mr T

indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Mark Johnson Fired as Head Coach at A&M

Post by indyfrisco »

Kind of a shocker, but kind of not. 21 years as head coach at A&M with a .670 winning percentage is pretty damn good. It's been 6 years though since we made the World Series. Still, it will be hard to find a much better coach than Mark Johnson. Kind of like R.C. leaving the program has us in much better shape, I hope the same for our baseball program.

Best of luck and thanks, Coach Johnson.
SunCoastSooner
Reported Bible Thumper

Post by SunCoastSooner »

Any early rumors about the replacement?
BSmack wrote:I can certainly infer from that blurb alone that you are self righteous, bible believing, likely a Baptist or Presbyterian...
Miryam wrote:but other than that, it's cool, man. you're a christer.
LTS TRN 2 wrote:Okay, Sunny, yer cards are on table as a flat-out Christer.
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

I haven’t heard anything. I live in Indiana now and don’t get to listen to local radio like I did in Dallas. I really don’t know anyone in the athletic department. Aggie Gal, if she ever shows up in here, could probably tell you more than I at this point.

I hear Cochell is looking for a job...
SunCoastSooner
Reported Bible Thumper

Post by SunCoastSooner »

Cochell needs to be more worried about his health than getting back in to coaching on the college level.

I hope aggiegal makes her way in here. I also Hope that A&M turns it around quickly. I think I have mentioned before that I have been caught with an A&M cap on my noggin on more than oneoccasion in my life.

See if you can't nudge her along in here.
BSmack wrote:I can certainly infer from that blurb alone that you are self righteous, bible believing, likely a Baptist or Presbyterian...
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

The more I think about it, I'm thinking we will be hiring Chris Rupp, HC at Sam Houston. He knows Texas HS baseball VERY well. He was recruiting coordinator at Rice recently who brought in a ton of the talent they've had in their recent past. Before that, he was at San Jacinto for a few years so he does know a lot of HS coaches.

Oh yeah, he went to A&M as well. I won't say it's a lock, but no one would be surprised if he's the guy.
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

Looking more and more like our top choice is Horton from Cal St. Fullerton and our #2 is Tanner from South Carolina. Personally, I'd rather have Tanner. Coming from the SEC and doing well in Omaha in the past, he's more accustomed to battling with the big schools like we will have to do.

http://greenvilleonline.com/news/sports ... 165490.htm
Goober McTuber wrote:One last post...
SunCoastSooner
Reported Bible Thumper

Post by SunCoastSooner »

IndyFrisco wrote:Looking more and more like our top choice is Horton from Cal St. Fullerton and our #2 is Tanner from South Carolina. Personally, I'd rather have Tanner. Coming from the SEC and doing well in Omaha in the past, he's more accustomed to battling with the big schools like we will have to do.

http://greenvilleonline.com/news/sports ... 165490.htm
The question is would Tanner be willing to leave USC if they get the funding for the new facility?

I didn't read the article but I have heard the plans for the new baseball facilities in Colombia are going to be something to hang their hats on for awhile.
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

Yeah, Tanner basically helped design the new 17.5 mil facility. There are several schools of thought.

- A&M will overpay the guy (doubt this will happen)
- He'll choose the H.S. talent rich Texas school over S.C. (doubt it)
- Horton will see another big name thrown in the mix, and the fact Tanner is onsidering it might make Horton a little more eager to sign for less $. (most likely in my mind)

In either case, I'll be happy with either Horton or Tanner. I'm not saying we're for sure getting either, I'd just be happy with either.
Goober McTuber wrote:One last post...
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

i've got a cousin who played for Golloway at ORU...he thinks he's a great/tough/ no BS coach (went to ORU to play for him). i'm sure Sonny will land on his feet. hopefully at OU, imo.

A&M would be a good job, though.
""On a lonely planet spinning its way toward damnation amid the fear and despair of a broken human race, who is left to fight for all that is good and pure and gets you smashed for under a fiver? Yes, it's the surprising adventures of me, Sir Digby Chicken-Caesar!"
"
SunCoastSooner
Reported Bible Thumper

Post by SunCoastSooner »

King Crimson wrote:i've got a cousin who played for Golloway at ORU...he thinks he's a great/tough/ no BS coach (went to ORU to play for him). i'm sure Sonny will land on his feet. hopefully at OU, imo.

A&M would be a good job, though.
Golloway should be shot for his base coaching.