REALLY Big Game Week

Fuck Jim Delany

Moderators: 88BuckeyeGrad, Left Seater, buckeye_in_sc

L45B
Commanche Hero

Re: REALLY Big Game Week

Post by L45B »

To Lefty’s point earlier, Ohio St and Oklahoma were very similar this year in that they had lots of offensive firepower but virtually no defense. Can’t speak for OU, although I presume it’s the same as tOSU— loaded with talent on defense, but coaching and scheme were big issues.

I expect Day to pick up right where Urban left off and to have some early success like Lincoln Riley has since Stoops retired. Even with Haskins likely declaring early, the cupboard is still full and more so with the possibility of getting that Fields kid from UGA via transfer.

The rest of the B1G is still messy. Harbaugh is all talk, Franklin at PSU seems to be a great recruiter but an average game day coach. Dantonio arguably the best coach in the league (next to Fitzgerald) but needs to can his OC and literally cannot compete recruiting-wise with the tops in the league year in and year out. Frost may have something brewing in Nebraska before long. Verdict still out on Chryst at Wisky.
“My dentist, that’s another beauty, my dentist, you kiddin’ me. It cost me five thousand dollars to have all new teeth put in. Now he tells me I need braces!” —Rodney Dangerfield
L45B
Commanche Hero

Re: REALLY Big Game Week

Post by L45B »

Sudden Sam wrote:You got Fields.

Isn't Martell damn good, though?

Just came across this:
Good post, Sam. I don’t follow recruiting that closely anymore. The tOSU boards I scan, like any team, has its camps of QB favorites. At one point there was a pretty strong “Joe Burrow should start over Haskins” crowd that obviously died out.

Seems about 50/50 on Martell. Lots of Buckeye fans say he will win an NC no matter where he ends up (OSU or txfr), that he’s a Baker Mayfield-esque competitor. Others say he is the next JT Barrett, in the negative light— that he’s not a passing QB. And thus, Coach Day would pick a pass-first guy over him.

I dunno. All I know is it’s good to have as many horses in the stable in the springtime as possible.
“My dentist, that’s another beauty, my dentist, you kiddin’ me. It cost me five thousand dollars to have all new teeth put in. Now he tells me I need braces!” —Rodney Dangerfield