Trade wars are good and easy to win

It's the 19th Anniversary for T1B - Fuckin' A

Moderator: Jesus H Christ

Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Trade wars are good and easy to win

Post by Screw_Michigan »

Trump's sugar high economy is starting to implode. Everyone saw this coming.

Too bad Chevy is killing the Cruze. Nice car.

MAGA
MAGA
MAGA
https://www.detroitnews.com/story/busin ... /38606867/

General Motors Co.'s restructuring efforts in 2019 will hit the Detroit automaker's backyard, with two of five plants to be idled in Metro Detroit, a third in Ohio and layoffs for nearly 6,000 salaried workers in North America.

The idled plants and buyouts and layoffs among salaried workers will affect 14,300 jobs across the company.

That's not sitting well with President Donald Trump, whose bid for the White House was propelled by voters in the industrial heartland. He said Monday he believes GM's decision "has nothing to do with tariffs" imposed by his administration on China and the European Union.

The plants that will cease production next year are Detroit-Hamtramck, Warren Transmission, Lordstown Assembly in Ohio, Oshawa Assembly in Ontario and Baltimore Operations in Maryland. Work will stop, but plants will not officially close. The future of those facilities will be determined during 2019 negotiations with the United Auto Workers.

GM also will lay off nearly 6,000 salaried workers next year after a buyout program last month only had 2,250 takers, according to a memo sent to employees by CEO Mary Barra and obtained by The Detroit News. The salaried buyouts and the layoffs together will affect 8,000 North American employees and a number of global executives, none of whom are part of the senior leadership team.

The idling of five plants will affect some 6,300 workers globally, including 3,300 in the U.S. GM will indefinitely lay off these workers, who will be given the opportunity to transfer to GM's growth plants. All five of the affected plants are considered "unallocated," which means that at this time these plants don't have a product.

This latest restructuring move by GM — which the automaker says will save the company $6 billion by 2020 — comes as the automotive industry faces rising commodity costs due to tariffs and uncertainty surrounding the North American Free Trade Agreement and trade with China.

Trump said he and GM CEO Mary Barra spoke Sunday to discuss the automaker's plans. “Well, we don’t like it,” he said before he departing for a campaign trip to Mississippi. “I believe they’ll be opening up something else. I was very tough. I spoke to her when I heard they were closing and I said this country has done a lot for General Motors, you better get back in there soon. That’s Ohio and you better get back in there soon. So we have a lot of pressure on them.”

GM says it "remains committed to manufacturing in Ohio." The automaker says it employs 4,000 workers in the state in addition to the Lordstown plant. GM has operations in Defiance, Moraine, Parma, Toledo, Warren and West Chester.
kcdave wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 8:05 am
I was actually going to to join in the best bets activity here at good ole T1B...The guy that runs that contest is a fucking prick
Derron wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 3:07 pm
You are truly one of the worst pieces of shit to ever post on this board. Start giving up your paycheck for reparations now and then you can shut the fuck up about your racist blasts.
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Re: Trade wars are good and easy to win

Post by smackaholic »

Being from Michigan, you really ought to know SOMETHING about the car biz. But then, you know fukk-all about anything else, so why should this be different.

The automobile racket is alive and well. GM, Ford and Chrysler/dagomotors are making piles of cash on SUV/truck sales. They also do well on ponycars. They have put in a pretty good effort at battling the fur-inners in the small/mid-size market, particularly, the last decade or so, but they haven't made one thin dime off it. So, they have decided to concentrate on what they do well and punch out of the rest. Chrysler actually did it a few years ago.

I suspect a fair number of these people will get golden handshaked. Others will find work within the company. And some will find other decent jobs, now that the economy actually is doing well.

As for trade wars being good, no they are not. Using the threat of a trade war to stop the other guy from prison raping you is good.
mvscal wrote:The only precious metals in a SHTF scenario are lead and brass.
Kierland

Post by Kierland »

So shutting plants and firing 10s of thousands of people is a good thing. You are an idiot.
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

smackaholic wrote:And some will find other decent jobs, now that the economy actually is doing well.
Yes, there are plenty of $12-18 hour jobs now available in Trump's economy. Moron.
I was actually going to to join in the best bets activity here at good ole T1B...The guy that runs that contest is a fucking prick
You are truly one of the worst pieces of shit to ever post on this board. Start giving up your paycheck for reparations now and then you can shut the fuck up about your racist blasts.
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

Kierland wrote:So shutting plants and firing 10s of thousands of people is a good thing. You are an idiot.
Yes, if those plants are not making money.

As for the decision to walk away from the non-SUV/pickup market being wise, time will tell. It it isn’t one made by TGOF. Today it seems pretty wise as the compact CUV has more or less replaced the sedan. They have more space and are very close MPG-wise.

When the automakers start shuttering plants because they can’t sell anything, you may have a point.

Till then, do us a favor and STFU.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

Screw_Michigan wrote:
smackaholic wrote:And some will find other decent jobs, now that the economy actually is doing well.
Yes, there are plenty of $12-18 hour jobs now available in Trump's economy. Moron.
After years of wage stagnation, there actually is detectable wage growth.

“Trump’s economy” trumps “Obama’s economy”.

Will it continue to in 3 years?

Ask me in 3 years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Kierland

Post by Kierland »

Adding jobs is good under Don the Con but not so much when Obama was doing it.
Losing jobs is good under Don the Con but not so much when Obama was doing it.

Sin,
Dumbaholic
L45B
Commanche Hero

Post by L45B »

Kierland wrote:So shutting plants and firing 10s of thousands of people is a good thing. You are an idiot.
How about you either post a pic of your Chevy or shut the fuck up?
“My dentist, that’s another beauty, my dentist, you kiddin’ me. It cost me five thousand dollars to have all new teeth put in. Now he tells me I need braces!” —Rodney Dangerfield
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

Donald J. Trump

Verified account

@realDonaldTrump
36m36 minutes ago
More
Very disappointed with General Motors and their CEO, Mary Barra, for closing plants in Ohio, Michigan and Maryland. Nothing being closed in Mexico & China. The U.S. saved General Motors, and this is the THANKS we get! We are now looking at cutting all @GM subsidies, including....
How very conservative of him.
Sirfindafold
Shit Thread Alert

Post by Sirfindafold »

Screw_Michigan wrote: Too bad Chevy is killing the Cruze. Nice car.
:lol:

I wouldn't take one as a gift.
Joe in PB
2008 / 2009 JAFFL Champ

Post by Joe in PB »

Yawn, the electric car business is waning because they are commuter transportation that have reduced range as time goes on, they're expensive, and possible customers pretty much already own an electric automobile.

As for GM dropping other models, Ford has done the same. If models aren't selling, then it doesn't make sense to keep making them.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
Butkus didn't wear an earring.
Derron
Eternal Scobode

Post by Derron »

Screw_Michigan wrote:
There are a lot. Who should fill these jobs ??
Derron
Screw_Michigan wrote: Democrats are the REAL racists.
Softball Bat wrote: Is your anus quivering?
Killian
Good crossing pattern target

Post by Killian »

Screw_Michigan wrote:
Yes, there are. They may not be where you live and require you to move, but there are thousands of jobs going unfilled that pay much more than $12-18/hr that require little to no experience.
"Well, my wife assassinated my sexual identity, and my children are eating my dreams." -Louis CK
Bucmonkey
2011 CFB Bowl Pic Champ

Post by Bucmonkey »

Corporate tax cuts will trickle down, Tariffs are gud, Mehico will pay for the wall, no collusion, etc...slurp it up middle Merica dumbfucks.
Go Bucs, Gators
BSmack
2005 and 2010 JFFL Champion

Post by BSmack »

L45B wrote:
How about you either post a pic of your Chevy or shut the fuck up?
Nice car = Uber driver owned one.

People in big cities with access to transit and ride sharing services don't need car ownership.
"Once upon a time, dinosaurs didn't have families. They lived in the woods and ate their children. It was a golden age."

—Earl Sinclair

"I do have respect for authority even though I throw jelly dicks at them.

- Antonio Brown
Mikey
Carbon Neutral since 1955

Post by Mikey »

Joe in PB wrote:Yawn, the electric car business is waning because they are commuter transportation that have reduced range as time goes on, they're expensive, and possible customers pretty much already own an electric automobile.

As for GM dropping other models, Ford has done the same. If models aren't selling, then it doesn't make sense to keep making them.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
Actually, the electric car business is what they're staking their future on. The sales of all conventional sedans and smaller have fallen from all time highs, and they don't expect them to come back. That's why Ford has done the same thing. The prices for EVs are coming down, the maintenance is a fraction of what it is for an ICE, and the battery technology is still improving. The big automakers realize that the the day of the internal combustion powered passenger vehicle is coming to an end. They are now concentrating their R&D on electric drive trains and self-driving technologies. Who gives a fuck what President Pee thinks. His tariffs and other stupid job-killing blunders are just hastening that eventuality. These companies are watching out for their bottom lines and have learned that they need to be forward looking to survive.
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

https://www.vox.com/the-goods/2018/11/2 ... rs-layoffs
General Motors is cutting 14,000 jobs and focusing on self-driving and electric vehicles
“Resources allocated to electric and autonomous vehicle programs will double in the next two years.”

GM’s shuttering of plants is also a step toward its new focus on producing electric and autonomous vehicles; its new motto is “Zero Crashes, Zero Emissions, Zero Congestion.” In 2017, the company bought Cruise Automation, a San Francisco-based driverless car company. According to a press release, “resources allocated to electric and autonomous vehicle programs will double in the next two years.”
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

Sirfindafold wrote:
Screw_Michigan wrote: Too bad Chevy is killing the Cruze. Nice car.
:lol:

I wouldn't take one as a gift.
The Cruze is a good car. The Focus is a good car. But GM/Ford haven't made a dime selling them.

The fact remains that Americans like station wagons. Problem is, they have been convinced by marketing idiots that station wags are for geeks. Cool people drive SUV/CUVs, which, of course, are tall station wagons. And the mileage difference is rather small, particularly with compact CUVs.

Euros, being rather smart when it comes to cars, will continue to buy station wagons. VW is loving this. They are going to sell a shit-ton of golf wagons over the next few years. Why the fukk no one else makes them, is ridiculous. If Honda built an Accord Station wagon, as they used to, they'd sell boatloads.

And a recommendation to Ford, who has the sense to continue making Mustangs. Offer the fukking thing in a hatchback. It already has a hatchback shape. Make it an actual fukking hatchback and you will increase sales to people who need the added utility once in a while.
Softball Bat
Eternal Scobode

Post by Softball Bat »

smackaholic wrote:Americans like station wagons
War Wagon!
88 wrote:I have no idea who Weaselberg is
Derron
Eternal Scobode

Post by Derron »

Killian wrote:
Screw_Michigan wrote:
Yes, there are. They may not be where you live and require you to move, but there are thousands of jobs going unfilled that pay much more than $12-18/hr that require little to no experience.
Talked to a friend who is a GC in the PDX metro area and he is trying to hire CDL dump truck drivers for $ 30 an hour, medical and 401, plus profit sharing. He is getting a few good applicants and a bunch of morons too.
Derron
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Absolutely.

It’s just a little ironic that, through his trade policies, Trump may inadvertently be speeding up the decline of fossil fuel powered transportation. You want to see oil prices really drop? Just start taking internal combustion engines off the roads.
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

Mikey wrote:Absolutely.

It’s just a little ironic that, through his trade policies, Trump may inadvertently be speeding up the decline of fossil fuel powered transportation. You want to see oil prices really drop? Just start taking internal combustion engines off the roads.
Get out of here with your common sense.
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

Derron wrote: Talked to a friend who is a GC in the PDX metro area and he is trying to hire CDL dump truck drivers for $ 30 an hour, medical and 401, plus profit sharing. He is getting a few good applicants and a bunch of morons too.
Why don't you post a link, friend, instead of serenading us with your anecdotal evidence?
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Screw_Michigan wrote:
Mikey wrote:Absolutely.

Get out of here with your common sense.
Sorry. I don’t know what came over me.
:?
Derron
Eternal Scobode

Post by Derron »

Screw_Michigan wrote:
Derron wrote: Talked to a friend who is a GC in the PDX metro area and he is trying to hire CDL dump truck drivers for $ 30 an hour, medical and 401, plus profit sharing. He is getting a few good applicants and a bunch of morons too.
Why don't you post a link, friend, instead of serenading us with your anecdotal evidence?
Why don't you answer the question I posed to you up in the thread about who should take those $ 12 to $ 18 an hour jobs that are begging for workers ??

I will restate the question so your drug affected brain can process it...Who should take those jobs ??
Derron
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

Derron wrote: Why don't you answer the question I posed to you up in the thread about who should take those $ 12 to $ 18 an hour jobs that are begging for workers ??
I guess laid off GM workers should. I bet they can pay mortgages and support families with these jobs, and they should totally uproot their families to pump gas in meth-town Oregon, right?

Post that link already, douchebag.
Derron
Eternal Scobode

Post by Derron »

Screw_Michigan wrote:
Derron wrote: Why don't you answer the question I posed to you up in the thread about who should take those $ 12 to $ 18 an hour jobs that are begging for workers ??
I guess laid off GM workers should. I bet they can pay mortgages and support families with these jobs, and they should totally uproot their families to pump gas in meth-town Oregon, right?

Post that link already, douchebag.
So the socialist comrade in you says that EVERYONE deserves a GM factory job ? Why not just nationalize all large industry and give EVERYONE those factory jobs ??

It has worked quite well for a lot of countries.
Derron