LS - Ever had to pull one of these?

It's the 19th Anniversary for T1B - Fuckin' A

Moderator: Jesus H Christ

Mikey
Carbon Neutral since 1955

LS - Ever had to pull one of these?

Post by Mikey »

Seems like it would be a little...umm...disconcerting.

Looks like she was angled about 45 deg to the runway until the last couple of seconds.

https://www.popularmechanics.com/flight ... ate=102218
Last edited by Mikey on Tue Oct 23, 2018 1:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Wolfman
Dumpater Artist

Re: LS - Ever one of these?

Post by Wolfman »

I guess thingsa are better than they were just a few years ago, but I am uneasy with ice and down bursts. Guess I've been watching too many of those Weather Channel shows about plane crashes.
"It''s not dark yet--but it's getting there". -- Bob Dylan

Carbon Dating, the number one dating app for senior citizens.

"Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teaches my hands to the war, and my fingers to fight."
Mikey

Re: LS - Ever one of these?

Post by Mikey »

I have no doubt that pilots train for this kind of crosswind landing but, damn, that just seems pretty wild.
Mikey

Re: LS - Ever had to pull one of these?

Post by Mikey »

Strawman...

:meds: :meds: :meds:
Left Seater
36,000 ft above the chaos

Post by Left Seater »

Yup. That happens a good bit.

A few years ago I posted about flying to Manchester in the UK where such landings are commonplace. In that video you can see just how unstable the final approach is with the plane bouncing around. Compare that with a more stable approach where you can’t tell the plane is even moving.

We do train for such landings and we execute them a good bit. They are more common at smaller airports with single runways, large European airports with dual parallel runways and some US hub airports with multiple parallel runways. Most of you that have flown more than 5 times have probably experienced such a landing. The only real way to notice is if the guys up front set it down still angled into the wind. Then you will feel a slight sideways lurch just after the wheels touchdown and the spoilers deploy, putting the full weight of the plane on the wheels.

On some airliners the company practice is to kick out of the crab at about 30 feet above the runway. This prevents the lurch upon landing but it also makes it imperative that you don’t float. In Mikey’s video you can see just befor the plane touches the runway it seems to hang just above the ground (float) in what is known as ground effect. Float for to long when you have kicked out of the crab and you can end up going off the side of the runway.
Moving Sale wrote:I really are a fucking POS.
Softball Bat wrote: I am the dumbest motherfucker ever to post on the board.
atmdad
Elwood

Post by atmdad »

Left Seater wrote: Most of you that have flown more than 5 times have probably experienced such a landing.
:shock: That is one of those things I could have gone through the rest of my life and be content not knowing.
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

I took the train from Oceanside to SLO a few weeks ago. It was a very enjoyable ride.

Especially the part between Ventura and Pismo Beach. All the landings were smooth and straight.
Carson
2012 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by Carson »

Left Seater wrote:Yup. That happens a good bit.

A few years ago I posted about flying to Manchester in the UK where such landings are commonplace. In that video you can see just how unstable the final approach is with the plane bouncing around. Compare that with a more stable approach where you can’t tell the plane is even moving.
Any thoughts on Schiphol?

Left Seater
36,000 ft above the chaos

Post by Left Seater »

Schiphol is same same as Birmingham. Even though they have 3 parallel runways and 2 cross wind runways they almost always use the three parallels. So if the wind is 90 degrees off the runway heading you get these type of landings.

If you look at the last video and focus on the 3rd and 4th airplanes you will see type and company differences. The 3rd plane is an A380. That beast stayed crabbed until touchdown. Then you can see the huge rudder deflecting to put the nose gear on the center line. The 4th plane is a much smaller 737 and they kick out the rudder just before touchdown.

You can also see a good amount of float on some of these attempts.
Moving Sale wrote:I really are a fucking POS.
Softball Bat wrote: I am the dumbest motherfucker ever to post on the board.