Re: The "New Normal"

Post by Mikey »

The "Holy Fire" about 35 miles north of my house at Lake Elsinore

Derron
Eternal Scobode

Post by Derron »

Which was an arson started fire.

Friend of mine is Ericksons Senior pilot, which is one of their MD's in the picture. They have worked max hours every day for the last 6 weeks.
Derron
Screw_Michigan wrote: Democrats are the REAL racists.
Softball Bat wrote: Is your anus quivering?
Shlomart Ben Yisrael
Insha'Allah

Post by Shlomart Ben Yisrael »

Can you verify the claim of arson?

Could be some insurance company not wanting to pay out.
rock rock to the planet rock ... don't stop
Felix wrote:you've become very bitter since you became jewish......
Kierland drop-kicking Wolftard wrote: Aren’t you part of the silent generation?
Why don’t you just STFU.
Goober McTuber
World Renowned Last Word Whore

Post by Goober McTuber »

Fire was probably started by Mikey melting.
Joe in PB wrote: Yeah I'm the dumbass
schmick, speaking about Larry Nassar's pubescent and prepubescent victims wrote: They couldn't even kick that doctors ass

Seems they rather just lay there, get fucked and play victim
Joe in PB
2008 / 2009 JAFFL Champ

Post by Joe in PB »

Fires suck, good luck again Mikey. I remember when these huge fires were rare, and most were in National Forests. Now large fires in California with homes burning seems to be a yearly occurance.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
Butkus didn't wear an earring.
Rooster
Eternal Scobode

Post by Rooster »

The sad thing is it doesn’t have to be this way. Go back to cutting timber, allow cattle to graze on the open range, do controlled burns, and bulldoze extensive fire breaks, aka dirt roads through those supposedly pristine woods. You’d think that fire management is some unbelievably difficult concept to wrap your head around, but the reality is environmentalists got the upper hand back in the Clinton administration and those chickens have been coming home to roost for over a decade now. The new normal is an unwillingness to deal with the problem directly— except once the woods are on fire.

(Additionally, the USFS looks forward to summer as the time to pad their bank accounts with overtime by slow walking the process of fire detainment to a crawl. CalFire doesn’t play that game, but Sacramento’s head is so far up the Sierra Club’s ass that the fires end up... burning up the fire management budget early. Sorry, bad pun.)
Cock o' the walk, baby!
Mikey
Carbon Neutral since 1955

Post by Mikey »

Papa Willie wrote:As much fun as I have ragging your old ass, I hate seeing that. Stay safe old friend.
Thanks for the thoughts. This one is really presenting no danger to us but you can see the huge smoke plume from miles around since Monday. That’s not to say that a stray spark and some gusty wind wouldn’t fuck us up in no time. It’s been over 90 here every day since the first week in July. Supposed to cool off a little over the weekend.
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Back in December we had to evacuate for one night. Fire came within about a mile from here. It burned through the Santa Margarita River valley. Took out a horse training center and killed about 40 thoroughbreds.
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Nice job 88. The first one almost looks photoshopped. It seems strange you can see blue sky reflected in the windows.
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

Ronnie James Dio wrote Holy Fire
Mikey wrote:The "Holy Fire" about 35 miles north of my house at Lake Elsinore

kcdave wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 8:05 am
I was actually going to to join in the best bets activity here at good ole T1B...The guy that runs that contest is a fucking prick
Derron wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 3:07 pm
You are truly one of the worst pieces of shit to ever post on this board. Start giving up your paycheck for reparations now and then you can shut the fuck up about your racist blasts.
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Shlomart Ben Yisrael wrote:Can you verify the claim of arson?

Could be some insurance company not wanting to pay out.

Who would think that this guy could ever do something so crazy.

https://bakersfieldnow.com/news/local/m ... o-to-court
Left Seater
36,000 ft above the chaos

Post by Left Seater »

Good luck Mickey. As you said here’s hoping there are no stray sparks or anything.
Moving Sale wrote:I really are a fucking POS.
Softball Bat wrote: I am the dumbest motherfucker ever to post on the board.
Joe in PB
2008 / 2009 JAFFL Champ

Post by Joe in PB »

I've been trying to understand why San Diego and Southern California have been having so many large fires. Southern California has been receiving close to normal rain fall, which granted isn't much. There are more homes now, but all these fires are started by kook arsonists?

Not so sure about that.

Mikey

Re: The

Post by Mikey »

Joe in PB wrote:Southern California has been receiving close to normal rain fall,
Actually, no. we've had one wet winter in 2017 but other than that much drier than usual. This year, so far is one of the driest in history in San Diego.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

I got 99 problems but the 'vid ain't one
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

LOL first comment I saw:
This is why Oregonians aren't allowed to pump their own gas. It's safe for the rest of the country but not Oregonians.
I was thinking something along the lines of no wonder the number meth busts in California have gone down, the tweakers are moving to Oregon.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Mikey wrote:the tweakers are moving to Oregon.
Fail.

The modern illicit meth trade came from Oregon.

And I believe that property is within the Urban Growth Boundary, making that 3 acres in West Linn (wealthiest city in Oregon) worth millions of dollars.
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Shows how much I know about our friends to the north.
:?
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Once, while working after hours picking up balls on a driving range, I found a partly full bottle of insect repellent. A while later I came across a yellow jacket nest in the ground and thought that the two would go really nicely together. So I dumped the insect repellent in, stuffed a golf ball in the hole, and then got in my cart and drove away as fast as I could.

I was a dumb kid at the time and didn't own a multi-million dollar piece of property.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Make no mistake -- loading the yellow jacket nest with gasoline and torching it is a great removal technique... just not during the Sahara Season, when it hasn't rained in weeks. And it's done in the evening, when all the wasps are in their nest.
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Papa Willie wrote:Mikey - errrr:

Sorry, dude. That's a desert you're living in. 0.21 inches for three months in the summer? Fuck - I piss more than that when I don't even have to piss!
Actually, it's "coastal sage scrub."
Joe in PB
2008 / 2009 JAFFL Champ

Post by Joe in PB »

trev
New Sheriff in Town

Post by trev »

I think I told you guys last year most of these are arson. That or illegal camp fires. We have had several break out the last 2 months. Very suspicious. I think someone is going around setting them and I hope he gets caught.

Saw a similar picture less than 2 miles away from me that Mikey posted. It was homeless in a canyon what started it.
Derron
Eternal Scobode

Post by Derron »

Dinsdale wrote:Make no mistake -- loading the yellow jacket nest with gasoline and torching it is a great removal technique... just not during the Sahara Season, when it hasn't rained in weeks. And it's done in the evening, when all the wasps are in their nest.
I have made up various mixtures of this sort over the years, combining gas, diesel used motor oil and then torching them off. Just not in this season, which is one of the driest we have seen in years, and all that rain that gives the green growth, now contributes to the fuel loads that are very dry. Kayaking at a local lake this morning looking at dry hillsides with 4 foot tall grass, if Western Oregon gets away with out a major wildland urban interface fire this year it will be a miracle, since everybody still thinks bon fires are a good idea.

As a substitute for the fire portion of burning out the yellow jack nests, I just this evening mixed up 2 five gallon jugs of diesel, old motor oil and then added in some of the various assortments of insect chemicals straight into the diesel, that I pick up at garage sales over the year for just this purpose, and then dump the whole fucking thing down the nest hole,after dark of course. Works great.
Derron
Screw_Michigan wrote: Democrats are the REAL racists.
Softball Bat wrote: Is your anus quivering?
BSmack
2005 and 2010 JFFL Champion

Post by BSmack »

Papa Willie wrote:https://www.theweathernetwork.com/ca/ne ... ek/108007/

The Cali fires don't have jack shit on the BC fires. Smoke from there is in Ontario now. :shock:
I'm hoping for a contact high from all that BC chronic that is going up in smoke.
"Once upon a time, dinosaurs didn't have families. They lived in the woods and ate their children. It was a golden age."

—Earl Sinclair

"I do have respect for authority even though I throw jelly dicks at them.

- Antonio Brown
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Toronto Air Quality Index : 26 - Good

Portland AQI: 118 - Unhealthy for sensitive groups

Spokane AQI: 310 - Hazardous

Looks like we'e heading for a repeat of last week, when AQI was generally 165ish, and it didn't really get very light during the day.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Dinsdale wrote:
Portland AQI: 118 - Unhealthy for sensitive groups

Less tha 2 hours later, up to 126, and climbing. Not so light out.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

schmick wrote:Staying away from liberals keeps my blood pressure down.
I dunno -- cunt-punching Screwey is a good outlet.
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

Dinsdale wrote: I dunno -- cunt-punching Screwey is a good outlet.
You live in a fantasy world.
I was actually going to to join in the best bets activity here at good ole T1B...The guy that runs that contest is a fucking prick
You are truly one of the worst pieces of shit to ever post on this board. Start giving up your paycheck for reparations now and then you can shut the fuck up about your racist blasts.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

You're a doormat here.
Goober McTuber

Post by Goober McTuber »

schmick wrote:At 4chan or at the trolls. Staying away from liberals keeps my blood pressure down.
Excellent advice for Meltspray.
schmick, speaking about Larry Nassar's pubescent and prepubescent victims wrote: They couldn't even kick that doctors ass

Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

Dinsdale wrote:You're a doormat here.
Thanks for proving my point.
Goober McTuber

Post by Goober McTuber »

schmick wrote:
Papa Willie wrote:
schmick wrote:It's not supposed to rain during the summer, that's why it's called summer
YOU'RE IN A FUCKING DESERT!

Where in the HELL have you been, old-timer?
At NAMBLA or at the trolls. You know, the regular pedo sites
FTFY.

Goober McTuber

Post by Goober McTuber »

"Dockers" must be people who regularly kick your fat ass.

Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Khaki pants?
Joe in PB
2008 / 2009 JAFFL Champ

Post by Joe in PB »

More screwed up news.

https://www.sacbee.com/news/state/calif ... 33835.html
Firefighters say Verizon ‘throttled’ data, crippling communications during California wildfire

By Dale Kasler

The Sacramento Bee

August 22, 2018 09:49 AM

Updated 2 hours 32 minutes ago

A Bay Area firefighting agency, assisting with the response to the massive Mendocino Complex Fire, says its communications were crippled by Verizon through a controversial practice known as “throttling.”

The Santa Clara County Central Fire Protection District says a communications vehicle it dispatched to the Mendocino Complex, the largest wildfire in California’s history, was rendered essentially useless after Verizon reduced data speeds to a fraction of what firefighters needed.

Santa Clara’s complaint was lodged in a legal brief filed Monday as part of a major lawsuit aimed at restoring “net neutrality,” the doctrine that says all internet traffic must be treated equally. Led by a Trump administration appointee, the Federal Communications Commission last year repealed net neutrality, which had been implemented in 2015 by the Obama administration.

The FCC says net neutrality stifles innovation. But 22 state attorneys general, in their court filing Monday, said net neutrality prevents internet service providers from implementing practices such as “throttling,” in which data speeds are dramatically reduced. Left to their own devices, internet providers “will abuse their gatekeeper roles in ways that harm consumers and threaten public safety,” the court filing said.

They cited Santa Clara’s predicament in the Mendocino wildfire as an example. Anthony Bowden, the Santa Clara fire chief, said in the court filing that its communications vehicle, known as OES 5262, found its data speeds dramatically reduced when it arrived to help with the Mendocino fire, hampering communications. The issue came to a head at the end of July, as the fire was menacing areas of Mendocino and Lake counties.

“These reduced speeds severely interfered with OES 5262’s ability to function effectively,” Bowden wrote. The vehicle is a “command and control resource” that helps direct traffic during big fires and other emergencies, coordinating with other agencies, he added.

The lawsuit over net neutrality is pending in the U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals in Washington, D.C. Santa Clara’s complaint was first reported by Arstechnica, a tech-news website.

The chief said his agency complained to Verizon, but the telecom provider said the Santa Clara fire district had to switch to a more expensive data plan that would prevent throttling. Santa Clara’s firefighters on the scene used other agencies’ internet connections and their personal phones until the agency eventually subscribed to the better plan, he wrote. It wasn’t clear how long that took.

Verizon, in a statement to The Sacramento Bee, apologized for what happened but said it wasn’t related to the fight over net neutrality.

“This situation has nothing to do with net neutrality or the current proceeding in court,” the carrier said. “We made a mistake in how we communicated with our customer about the terms of its plan. Like all customers, fire departments choose service plans that are best for them. This customer purchased a government contract plan for a high-speed wireless data allotment at a set monthly cost. Under this plan, users get an unlimited amount of data but speeds are reduced when they exceed their allotment until the next billing cycle.

“Regardless of the plan emergency responders choose, we have a practice to remove data speed restrictions when contacted in emergency situations. We have done that many times, including for emergency personnel responding to these tragic fires. In this situation, we should have lifted the speed restriction when our customer reached out to us. This was a customer support mistake. We are reviewing the situation and will fix any issues going forward.”

The court filing showed that Santa Clara was no stranger to this issue. In a series of emails included in the legal brief, Santa Clara fire officials complained to Verizon a month earlier that their data speeds were being “throttled” by the carrier. At the time, a Verizon representative told the agency that its data plan included “data throttling limitation” and he suggested a switch to a more expensive plan.

Scott McLean, a spokesman for Cal Fire, said he wasn’t aware of any other firefighting agencies encountering problems similar to Santa Clara’s.

The California Legislature is debating a bill, SB 822, that would require internet companies to reinstate net neutrality in California.

The Mendocino complex, which has burned more territory than any fire in California history, has destoryed 406,532 acres and is 74 percent contained. A firefighter from Utah died in the blaze.
Definitely am for SB 822.

Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

Getting rid of net neutrality was a swell idea. Thanks Trump!
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Joe in PB wrote:

Definitely am for SB 822.
Big-government regulatory over reach.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Screw_Michigan wrote:Getting rid of net neutrality was a swell idea. Thanks Trump!
So, a customer purchased a phone plan (likely for a rate lower than you or I would pay) that included terms involving lower speed once a data-usage threshold was met (just like the plan I've had for many years), and you spin it into a net-neutrality issue?

FAIL

Back on topic -- we're rocking a 154 AQI right now. Not as bad as it's been, but still kinda sucks. Definitely been feeling it in my throat and sinuses.