Your 10/29 Top 10

Fuck Jim Delany

Moderators: 88BuckeyeGrad, Left Seater, buckeye_in_sc

Shoalzie
WingNut

Your 10/29 Top 10

Post by Shoalzie »

It's more fun to do this when some top 10 teams lose...

1. Alabama (1)...I feel sorry for bye week, they didn't stand a chance.
2. Georgia (2)...so, is the SEC title game going to be an elimination game or will it just determine who is the #1 seed in the playoff?
3. Wisconsin (5)...should have a clean path to Indy but who will face them?
4. Oklahoma (6)...just before Halloween, the Sooners are back to life in the playoff hunt.
5. Clemson (7)...solid showing, ACC Atlantic on the line next week.
6. Ohio State (9)...I don't care how late you take the lead, it's still a season-saving win.
7. Miami (7)...I let the Buckeyes jump them in their bye week but beat Virginia Tech and Notre Dame the next two weeks and they'll get their spot back.
8. Notre Dame (10)...can they declare themselves ACC champs if they beat Miami?
9. Penn State (3)...be the better team in Columbus for at least 3 quarters and have nothing to show for it? The 2016 Wolverines feel your pain.
10. Oklahoma State (NR)...don't get too comfortable with your stay in the top 10.

OUT: TCU (4)

= = = = =

Games to Watch (November 4):
Virginia Tech (7-1) at #7 Miami, TBD (ABC)
#5 Clemson at NC State (6-2), TBD (ABC)
#6 Ohio State at Iowa (5-3), TBD (ESPN)
South Carolina (6-2) at #2 Georgia, 3:30 p.m. (CBS)
#4 Oklahoma at #10 Oklahoma State, 4:00 p.m. (FS1)
LSU (6-2) at #1 Alabama, 8:00 p.m. (CBS)
HMMMMMM
Jake

Re: Your 10/29 Top 10

Post by HMMMMMM »

Ohio State outplayed Penn State for most of that game. PSU just had a few big plays that made it look different. I thought if they could force OSU into a situation where they would have to pass, PSU's defense would take over. They failed. Props to OSU for a great game.
Mikey
Carbon Neutral since 1955

Post by Mikey »

1. Georgia - Better resume than 'Bama. At least they've beaten a couple of top 25 teams
2. Alabama - Maybe the best team but they've only played three teams with winning records, and two of them were MWC. The other isn't ranked.
3. Notre Dame - Two quality wins and only lost by one to Georgia.
4. Oklahoma - Ahead of Ohio State because of head to head result.
5. Ohio State - Ahead of Pedo State because of head to head result.
6. Penn State -
7. Clemson -
8. Wisconsin - Play somebody
9. Miami - Play somebody
10. Washington
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Post by MgoBlue-LightSpecial »

1 Georgia
2 Bama
3 Notre Dame
4 Oklahoma
5 Ohio State
6 Ped State
7 Clemson
8 Wisconsin
9 Miami
10 UCF
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

First CFP Rankings:

1) Georgia
2) Alabama
3) Notre Dame
4) Clemson
5) Oklahoma
6) Ohio State
7) Penn State
8 ) TCU
9) Wisconsin
10) Miami

Clemson seems a bit high considering their loss, but other than that, don't think there's too much to bitch about.
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

I have no problem with Clemson where they are. The loss was pretty bad but they didn’t have their QB, who was out for only that game. Plus Clemson has some pretty good wins.
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Mikey wrote:I have no problem with Clemson where they are. The loss was pretty bad but they didn’t have their QB, who was out for only that game. Plus Clemson has some pretty good wins.
Upon further review, I would have to agree. They have 6 wins vs teams with winning records and two wins over teams currently in the top 15. Who you beat should probably outweigh who you lose to, because anyone can have an off day.
L45B
Commanche Hero

Post by L45B »

As long as Notre Dame keeps winning, it appears UGA could afford losing a tight game to 'Bama and still slide in the #4 spot (or #3, since the committee would likely not pit a rematch in the Sugar Bowl). If that happens, this might happen:

Alabama
_________________|

Georgia
_________________|
“My dentist, that’s another beauty, my dentist, you kiddin’ me. It cost me five thousand dollars to have all new teeth put in. Now he tells me I need braces!” —Rodney Dangerfield
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

L45B wrote:As long as Notre Dame keeps winning, it appears UGA could afford losing a tight game to 'Bama and still slide in the #4 spot (or #3, since the committee would likely not pit a rematch in the Sugar Bowl). If that happens, this might happen:

Alabama
_________________|

Georgia
_________________|
Goober McTuber
World Renowned Last Word Whore

Post by Goober McTuber »

Solid take, Mikey.

If either tOSU or Wisky wins out, Clemson will get bumped. Chances good for tOSU, Wisky not so much so.
Joe in PB wrote: Yeah I'm the dumbass
schmick, speaking about Larry Nassar's pubescent and prepubescent victims wrote: They couldn't even kick that doctors ass

Seems they rather just lay there, get fucked and play victim
L45B
Commanche Hero

Post by L45B »

There's definitely a few ins-and-outs/what-have-yous baked into all these scenarios.

If tOSU wins out but Oklahoma also wins out, then I would expect the Sooners to stay above them. Luckily, the Big XII continues to step on its own dick and may ultimately self-detonate with its CCG rematch.

A lot also depends on what Miami does, given they still have to play both Notre Dame and (likely, in the ACC CG) Clemson.
“My dentist, that’s another beauty, my dentist, you kiddin’ me. It cost me five thousand dollars to have all new teeth put in. Now he tells me I need braces!” —Rodney Dangerfield
Killian
Good crossing pattern target

Post by Killian »

L45B wrote:There's definitely a few ins-and-outs/what-have-yous baked into all these scenarios.

If tOSU wins out but Oklahoma also wins out, then I would expect the Sooners to stay above them. Luckily, the Big XII continues to step on its own dick and may ultimately self-detonate with its CCG rematch.

A lot also depends on what Miami does, given they still have to play both Notre Dame and (likely, in the ACC CG) Clemson.
Miami also has to play VaTech this weekend.

If UGA and Bama both win out and one loses the SEC championship game to the other by close score, I would bet both would be in. If Clemson wins out, as does OSU and ND, my guess is that despite ND's only lose coming by one point to the winner/runner-up in the SEC, OSU will get in over them based on a Big1G championship game win over Wisconsin, despite being boat raced at home by OU.

If that is the case, I will think it's horseshit but won't bitch. The second you lose a game and leave it up to a committee, you lose every right to complain.
"Well, my wife assassinated my sexual identity, and my children are eating my dreams." -Louis CK
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Goober McTuber wrote:Solid take, Mikey.

If either tOSU or Wisky wins out, Clemson will get bumped. Chances good for tOSU, Wisky not so much so.
LOL. Must have hit "submit" instead of "cancel."
Sucks getting old.
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

It's a bit of self-fulfilling prophecy by putting Georgia #1 because you think Notre Dame is #3 and Georgia beat them in South Bend. I have more of a debate over if Notre Dame is #3 than if Georgia is #1. At worst, you can say Alabama and Georgia are 1 and 1a. Notre Dame probably has the best loss of any 1-loss team but does that automatically make them the best 1-loss team?

It's interesting how we look at some of the early season wins and how they affect the rankings as we get further away from when those games were played. Like them or not, Alabama dominated Florida State (with Francois). Georgia won by 1 point at South Bend. Oklahoma crushed Ohio State in Columbus. Both Notre Dame and Ohio State are probably better teams now than at the time of their losses. Meanwhile, Florida State's season has cratered.

Beating Florida State doesn't look impressive but at the time, it was a good win for Alabama. If you want to take Alabama down a peg because they don't have the better 8-game resume compared to Georgia...fine. They'll have their chance to beef up their resume with games against LSU, Mississippi State and Auburn plus a showdown with Georgia.

If BamaFan wants to beef about the rankings...if their team is as good as I think they are, they'll do their talking on the field. The way the schedule shakes out to end this season...I think a lot of the debates will be decided on the field. Obviously, chaos would ensue if Georgia, Alabama, Wisconsin and Miami drop a game and we end up with mountain of 1-loss teams.
Last edited by Shoalzie on Fri Nov 03, 2017 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Bama and UGA will probably win their divisions, but they haven't played.

If only there was some way we could settle which team is better, so the better team could go on to the playoff.

UGA and Bama both in the playoff? Some of you have apparently developed a nasty crack habit.

CCGs are a de facto first round of the playoffs... duh.
I got 99 problems but the 'vid ain't one
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

^ That's kinda my thinking.

These are the spots where it's nice to not have an 8-team playoff. If you had all the major conference champs and a few at-large teams...the loser of Georgia-Alabama still probably gets in. As much as I like to see other teams get involved in the playoff...it would take value out of winning your conference and winning the big out-of-conference games.

Georgia-Alabama...it's practically the Ohio State-Michigan debate from a few years ago...and that was pre-playoff if I'm not mistaken. Potentially another #1 vs. #2 at the end of the season. Regardless if it's a 3-point or 33-point margin...the team that loses should basically be eliminated even if you think the losing team is still the 2nd, 3rd or 4th best team in the nation.

That is the oddity how late season losses are treated versus losing back in September.