HiFi Stuff

RIP scritti.

Moderator: scritti

Mikey
Carbon Neutral since 1955

HiFi Stuff

Post by Mikey »

I need some advice from anybody who's familiar with what's out there these days.
Looking for a decent stereo pre-amp to go with some old high-end stuff that I bought years ago. Any suggestions?

Back in 1985 or 86 I came into some $$ and decided to spend some of it on a good stereo. Actually I started out just to buy some new speakers to go with a shitty old receiver I'd had since HS.
So I went into the speaker demo room at the local stereo store (they had big stores back then that specialized in just stereo equipment - amazing huh?) and fell in love with some 12" JBL three way floor standing monitors. If fact they sounded so good I decided then and there to pretty duplicate the system they were using.

So I went home with the speakers plus a bunch of separate components: Denon pre-amp, power amp, CD player and am/fm tuner plus a Sanyo cassette deck. This whole set-up cost me over $2500, which was pretty big back then. But let me tell you, that system could pump out some sound. The combination of the power amp (vacuum tubes, 220 watts RMS per channel @ 8 ohms, weighing in at about 40 pounds) and the JBLs, turned up to about 1/3, could induce pain when played in my little rented house.

Fast forward to today, the only pieces still left are the pre-amp and power amp. My wife made me get rid of the speakers when we moved into our current abode because she didn't want those big ugly things in her beautiful living room. Women just don't understand the male attraction to big sound, but I've always lived by the motto happy wife = happy life and we all have to make our small sacrifices. So I dumped the JBLs and bought a Bose Acoustimass system - you know the little 4" cubes that come attached in pairs that can swivel on each other and a subwoofer. It never sounded adequate but I've lived with them for 16 fucking years. All that wonderful Denon power, vacuum tubes and all, was basically wasted.

We recently put a new floor in our family room, which is the current home of my stereo. With the re-arranging we're doing the Bose speakers, thankfully, just don't work anymore in the room. So I went out and got a pair of these:

http://www.monitoraudiousa.com/products ... /radius-90

They're small (5 x 8 x 5), white, and comply with the required interior design restrictions. Best of all they sound 50 times better than the old Bose speakers. They actually have a great bass response without a subwoofer, though the available matching unit may be a future option. The amp definitely has the balls to drive these and a lot more.

So now, the pre-amp. The volume and balance controls are wearing out. The balance is stuck slightly skewed to the right channel and the volume crackles when you turn the knob. It's almost impossible to find anybody to repair these things. I tried to get the balance repaired last year but it didn't really work out.

The system still sounds good but it's not worthy of the amp and the speakers. So now I'm looking for a compatible pre-amp that won't break the bank. Any ideas?
Last edited by Mikey on Fri Nov 11, 2016 7:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Mikey

Re: HiFi Stuff

Post by Mikey »

Maybe I'll try to replace the PRA-1100 with a used one.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Hmmm... not sure I want to part with my super-pimp NAD, even though it hasn't been turned on in 10+ years.

A few years ago, my buddy came into some Polk Audio SRS-SDAs... you know the ones... they were the ones that gave you a boner when you walked into that mid-80's stereo store:

He ended up buying... well, a few things. But eventually, he ended up with a pretty high end modern tuner/amp. That way, he has surround for watching movies and such, and he uses the outs from that to run front/rear/center, and uses the preamp outs to run two huge monoblocks for the monster Polks. Sounds incredible (except when the volume goes past about 3, then you're deaf, as are the neighbors, whose replacement windows you just bought).

But that's something for you to consider, unless you're pining for old-school.
I got 99 problems but the 'vid ain't one
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

I think I'll make one more attempt at getting it fixed before parting ways with it. Wouldn't mind finding something with remote, though.
Carson
2012 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by Carson »

I had some of the smaller Polk Audio speakers and they kicked ass.

Anybody remember Magneplaners?

Shlomart Ben Yisrael
Insha'Allah

Post by Shlomart Ben Yisrael »

"Mostly, I just listen to music on my tablet these days."

Sincerely, Goobs
rock rock to the planet rock ... don't stop
Felix wrote:you've become very bitter since you became jewish......
Kierland drop-kicking Wolftard wrote: Aren’t you part of the silent generation?
Why don’t you just STFU.
Joe in PB
2008 / 2009 JAFFL Champ

Post by Joe in PB »

I'm the opposite, still have my Bose 601s from about 1989.

They only need about 15w per channel for operation, and still sound terrific. Paired them with an inexpensive TEAC (75w per ch) receiver & CD player I found at the price club back then. After about 25 years those went kaput, and replaced them with a refurbished TEAC receiver (100w p ch) and CD player I found online for less than $200. Also added a blue tooth adapter to play mp3s from my phone. In the digital age expensive amplifiers aren't necessary for good sound, but understand you probably use a turntable too.
Maybe I'll try to replace the PRA-1100 with a used one.
Good idea, just not sure how long it will last.

A friend at the office had a catalog from a company that still made amps and preamps with tubes, pricey but perfect for the stereophiles. I'll hit him up for the name of the company. Good luck and enjoy.

I don't think it was Crutchfield
Butkus didn't wear an earring.
Goober McTuber
World Renowned Last Word Whore

Post by Goober McTuber »

Shlomart Ben Yisrael wrote:"Mostly, I just listen to music on my tablet these days."

Sincerely, Goobs
I doubt I could even find the "On/Off" switch.
Joe in PB wrote: Yeah I'm the dumbass
schmick, speaking about Larry Nassar's pubescent and prepubescent victims wrote: They couldn't even kick that doctors ass

Seems they rather just lay there, get fucked and play victim
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

These 12" JBL L100t floor speakers that I had in the 80s would blow your fucking socks off through the Denon power amp.

Also had a pair of these Spica TC50s for a while. Not quite as ballsy as the JBLs but put out a very clean sound.

Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Joe in PB wrote:I'm the opposite, still have my Bose 601s from about 1989.

They only need about 15w per channel for operation, and still sound terrific. Paired them with an inexpensive TEAC (75w per ch) receiver & CD player I found at the price club back then. After about 25 years those went kaput, and replaced them with a refurbished TEAC receiver (100w p ch) and CD player I found online for less than $200. Also added a blue tooth adapter to play mp3s from my phone. In the digital age expensive amplifiers aren't necessary for good sound, but understand you probably use a turntable too.
Back in HS I was craving a pair of the Bose 901s but could never afford them at the time. The first home speaker to use the direct reflecting system.
Joe in PB
2008 / 2009 JAFFL Champ

Post by Joe in PB »

I think the 601s sound better in a home setting if it's not huge. 901s need a lot of juice, hence the company referring to them as loud speakers. A friend would set his up outside on the patio, in the house they were too much imo.

JBL or Polk = good stuff.
Jay in Phoenix
Eternal Scobode

Post by Jay in Phoenix »

I still have these KLH Barons from the '70's. Still sound great.

Joe in PB
2008 / 2009 JAFFL Champ

Post by Joe in PB »

Nice, looks like all of us had/have some good shit. :)
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

Papa Willie wrote:I don't think much emphasis is put on getting good sounds nowadays, as the record companies know that most dumbasses are going to be listening through cute little ear buds & phones - hence - that's why they overcompress everything out the ass.
We're probably splitting hairs here, but they over compress everything because that's how most music is played nowadays, not necessarily because of the earphones themselves.
kcdave wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 8:05 am
I was actually going to to join in the best bets activity here at good ole T1B...The guy that runs that contest is a fucking prick
Derron wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 3:07 pm
You are truly one of the worst pieces of shit to ever post on this board. Start giving up your paycheck for reparations now and then you can shut the fuck up about your racist blasts.
Shlomart Ben Yisrael
Insha'Allah

Post by Shlomart Ben Yisrael »

It's not about earbuds. Its about cars. That's also why FM radio compresses the shit out of their broadcasts.
rock rock to the planet rock ... don't stop
Felix wrote:you've become very bitter since you became jewish......
Kierland drop-kicking Wolftard wrote: Aren’t you part of the silent generation?
Why don’t you just STFU.
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Papa Willie wrote:
Next time you listen to something new on a good system, turn around and put something like "Brothers in Arms" by Dire Straits on, and be prepared to be blown away. Yeah - you'll have to turn up your stereo a little bit, but you'll notice that there's a lot more thump from the lows, the highs are higher, and the dynamics (going from loud to quiet) are a LOT more pronounced. You'll notice that the clarity is far superior.
Funny you should mention that. When I bought my new system in 86 I took home 3 CDs (it was also my first CD player).
Brothers in Arms
Dark Side of the Moon
Mozart's Piano Concerto #21

Still three of the best recordings I ever bought.
Joe in PB
2008 / 2009 JAFFL Champ

Post by Joe in PB »

Yeah hooked the DVR up to AUX IN and I have movie theater type sound. It definitely adds to the movie watching experience.

Before my old receiver died I picked up a new copy of Led Zepplin 2. It sounded like shit with a lot of clipping. I remember PW recommending a trying a new receiver. The old receiver lasted about another year. I had the new replacement for about a year and a half before playing the CD again, mainly because I thought it was bad. I was a few songs in before I realized it was the clipper special & there was no clipping with the new receiver by the same company, TEAC.

Agreed the older stuff sound better with a good system. The increased power drives the lower end of a wider audio spectrum.
Last edited by Joe in PB on Wed Nov 16, 2016 1:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Mikey wrote: Dark Side of the Moon
Of all the analog recordings from that early wave of CD conversions in 1986, that was the best that I can think of (Brothers In Arms (shitty album) was the first that was fully digitally recorded, IIRC).

Joe in PB wrote:
Before my old receiver died I picked up a new copy of Led Zepplin 2. It sounded like shit with a lot of clipping.

That's a shitty example. That may be the worst recording job I've ever heard on an album, so the digital conversion was at a disadvatage to start with.
Joe in PB
2008 / 2009 JAFFL Champ

Post by Joe in PB »

An older copy I had but lost, didn't clip.

I'm in agreement that the ear bud generation is driving the volumn wars. That, and hip hop is about subwoofers.
Last edited by Joe in PB on Wed Nov 16, 2016 4:17 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Dinsdale wrote:
Of all the analog recordings from that early wave of CD conversions in 1986, that was the best that I can think of (Brothers In Arms (shitty album) was the first that was fully digitally ping.
Just played DSotM (first time I've pulled that CD out in years) and the Mozart (it was actually #s 26 and 23) and those new 5x8 inch little suckers fucking rock. Amazing clarity, plenty of bass and they fill the house (2600 sf) with the volume at about 1/3. Speaker technology certainly has come a long way in 30 years. Of course it doesn't hurt to have abundant power to drive them, plus I've been sonically deprived for a long time. And I'm an old fart these days.
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

We got a soundbar for the TV a couple of years ago. Not very good but a fuck of a lot better than the TV speakers. Plus it's in the other room and I don't care that much about the TV experience anyway.

I dropped $500 on the new mini speakers. They don't compare to the old JBLs (which I got rid of 15 years ago) but damned impressive considering.
BSmack
2005 and 2010 JFFL Champion

Post by BSmack »

Joe in PB wrote:I think the 601s sound better in a home setting if it's not huge. 901s need a lot of juice, hence the company referring to them as loud speakers. A friend would set his up outside on the patio, in the house they were too much imo.

JBL or Polk = good stuff.
I had a friend who owned two Bose 901s back in the eighties. Used to put the speakers on tables, point them out the window, and listen to them 200 yards away from his apartment and the would still sound loud as hell, yet still crisp. As for me today, once I get my new house setup I want to see if I can find some old Boston bookshelf speakers.
"Once upon a time, dinosaurs didn't have families. They lived in the woods and ate their children. It was a golden age."

—Earl Sinclair

"I do have respect for authority even though I throw jelly dicks at them.

- Antonio Brown
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

Dinsdale wrote:
Of all the analog recordings from that early wave of CD conversions in 1986, that was the best that I can think of (Brothers In Arms (shitty album) was the first that was fully digitally recorded, IIRC).

Joe in PB wrote:
Before my old receiver died I picked up a new copy of Led Zepplin 2. It sounded like shit with a lot of clipping.

That's a shitty example. That may be the worst recording job I've ever heard on an album, so the digital conversion was at a disadvatage to start with.
Other than BiA being a shitty album (ear of the beholder, I guess) you are correct. It was one of the first CDs I ever bought and I was blown away by the quality of the recording.

And rack the hell out of those Polk SDAs. When I hit the lotto, I'll have a pair in my mancave. I am sure I will enjoy the hell out of them for a few months before I go deaf listening to them at high volume. I had a pair of monitor 5s. I love the sound of old polks. I think PA's high water mark was sometime in the late 80s though. Their stuff from the last 20 years hasn't impressed me much, other than a satellite system I looked at in a store about 10-15 years ago that was kind of nice.

My "friend's stereo story" is from the late 80s. I was in the Navy. One of my housemates was a former squid that was now the cable guy. One benefit was the free cable with ALL the channels. One day he comes home with a pair of klipsch horns. They were at least waist high. He also had an old (probably early 70s) macintosh amp and pre-amp. Bought the whole shebang from some old woman he was putting cable in for. I think he paid 100 bucks or something insane. Those Klipshes would rattle shit off the wall in houses a few blocks away. It was absolutely glorious. Pretty sure any hearing loss I have today comes from the 6 months or so those were in the house before John moved.
mvscal wrote:The only precious metals in a SHTF scenario are lead and brass.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

smackaholic wrote: And rack the hell out of those Polk SDAs. When I hit the lotto, I'll have a pair in my mancave

It was quite a few years ago my buddy got them (and he's a veteran of the 80's stereo stores). It was his (aging) father's new GF who had them, which used to belong to her now-dead husband. They lived in a basement at the coast -- zero ultraviolet damage. And I think the old biddy thinks she took him for a ride when she "gouged" him for $200. Then, as I believe it is now, those things go for what they originally cost in the 80's on EBay -- $2500.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Just pulled out and dusted off my Audionics PZ3. One badassed MF. Was pretty much king of the hill in the mid-70's, and was very expensive in its day. I didn't know that Jim Fosgate went to work for them, and eventually Bought Audionics of Oregon, after he bailed on Rockford Fosgate.

I feed it off a NAD 1020 preamp. It runs a couple of late 80's Polks (I don't know what model, since it doesn't say).

Cool old-school shit that I never use any more.
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Back in the day, when I was running the JBLs off the Denon components (which was the "main" system in the living room) I bought a NAD receiver (not sure what the model was) to run the Spica TC-50 speakers in the master bedroom. That was an excellent sounding system. It didn't have the balls of the Denon but also didn't need to in the smaller room.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Figured it out -- my Polks are Monitor 7B's.

I think all this stuff is actually worth some money.

Sure sounds sweet.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

smackaholic wrote:macintosh amp

From all I've been reading, the Audionics ran circles around the Macintosh, for quite a bit less money. But those were two bigboy names in their day. And then that dude from Connecticut, Mark Levinson got into the game.
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

Fukkin' OLs generally gotta be pissed off about somethin'. May as well be your 40 year old audio equipment.
mvscal wrote:The only precious metals in a SHTF scenario are lead and brass.