Albums you used to have

RIP scritti.

Moderator: scritti

Mikey
Carbon Neutral since 1955

Albums you used to have

Post by Mikey »

Back in the day (in the 70s) I probably had at least 500+ vinyl LPs. Over the years with different roommates moving in and out, households forming and breaking up, I seem to be down to about half that many still on my shelf. Every once in a while I'll go looking for an album I think I have and then remember that I don't anymore.

CSNY Deja Vu
Dylan Nashville Skyline
Elton John Yellow Brick Road
most of my old CCR collection

come to mind, and a whole lot of others

One of the albums I played A LOT but have missed for a couple of decades is Swiss Movement by Les McCann and Eddie Harris, recorded live at Montreaux in 1969. Finally had a yen to hear this song, broke down and bought the CD+download from Amazon Prime.

I was surprised to find a video of this on YouTube. Turn it the fuck up.

Mikey

Re: Albums you used to have

Post by Mikey »

Most of mine are actually in pretty good shape. I still like spinning up the turntable, dropping the needle and sitting down with the album cover.

That being said, I bought a USB turntable a few years ago that has a digital output to try and digitize some of my albums. Thought it would be a great idea. Think I tried it once and gave up. The hisses and pops were too annoying and it's not like copying a file. You have to start the record, turn on the recording and then turn it off at the end. Fuck that. It's too easy and cheap just to DL from Amazon.
Dr_Phibes
P.H.D - M.B.E. - O.B.E.

Post by Dr_Phibes »

I collect, so never lose anything, but did give away an original copy of 'The Johnny Burnette Trio' to a friend (to some regret?). Had a party, she rolled up her shirt-arm and had a Johnny Burnette sleeve job tattoo. I went, got the album and just gave it to her. 'You deserve this more than me', she was over the moon. Thing was, I got the record from a Frenchman who bought it in Malta in the sixties, American troops used to bring over records and Malta was flooded with them.
He eventually had his collection brought from France, so it sat in a box for how many years. Lot of miles on it and on it goes.
Jay in Phoenix
Eternal Scobode

Post by Jay in Phoenix »

At one time, I had almost a thousand albums collected. They were in storage at my fathers house. About fifteen years ago, without telling me, he sold them all for fifty freaking dollars. That led to a nice argument. I've since replaced about a third of them, but some are simply irreplaceable and I don't expect to ever see them again.
BSmack
2005 and 2010 JFFL Champion

Post by BSmack »

I used to have a copy of Led' Zeppelin's Immigrant Song/Hey Hey What Can I Do on Japanese import. It was the only Zeppelin 45 I ever owned. Kind of pissed to lose that one.
"Once upon a time, dinosaurs didn't have families. They lived in the woods and ate their children. It was a golden age."

—Earl Sinclair

"I do have respect for authority even though I throw jelly dicks at them.

- Antonio Brown
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

BSmack wrote:I used to have a copy of Led' Zeppelin's Immigrant Song/Hey Hey What Can I Do on Japanese import. It was the only Zeppelin 45 I ever owned. Kind of pissed to lose that one.
I used to have a copy of the single for The Golden Road (to Unlimited Devotion) / Creampuff War on the old orange WB label.

I was only 12 years old when it came out but I guess I heard it on the local Bay Area AM stations (KFRC and KYA) and thought it was good enough to spend my allowance on. Didn't really become a Deadhead until about five or six years later.

Don't know whatever happened to that single. My mom probably got rid of it at some point cleaning out my old room.

Jay in Phoenix
Eternal Scobode

Post by Jay in Phoenix »

Sudden Sam wrote:Did you bury your father or just scatter his dismembered limbs around the city??
Damn near Sam. We didn't speak for a couple of years after that. Finally did bury the hatchet (though not in his head) right before he passed. Still, that loss stings to this day. Some very irreplaceable stuff that went bye bye.