Chiefs vs Texans

talking about who was arrested today

Moderators: Shoalzie, Biggie

Go Coogs'
Eternal Scobode

Chiefs vs Texans

Post by Go Coogs' »

Houston's defense is 10x better than that atrocity they had on the field in week 1 against KC. Rahim Moore sucked, Vince Wilfork is being rotated more often, and Andre Hal is one of the best young safeties in the league since replacing Moore. Travis Kelce needs to be accounted for and I think Houston has the scheme and personnel to hold him to a modest performance this time. Maclin is an issue as well, but Jonathon Joseph and Kevin Johnson have the skills to keep him in check, so it comes down to Alex Smith's mobility and extending plays with his legs. Texans struggle with QBs who can scramble as we witnessed with Tyrod Taylor in week 15 against Buffalo, but that was with one handed JJ Watt. The run defense of the Texans is much improved as well because their safeties have a nose for the ball and the Rookie McKinney improved quite a bit throughout the season as well as JaDeveon Clowney. With those two on the field late in the season, opponents struggled to establish the run. Clowney is hurt and his status is unknown for the Wildcard, but most likely he will play. Whitney Mercilus is the x-factor when it comes to containing Alex Smith. If he can feed off the momentum of his 4 sack performance yesterday, then the Texans have the ability to bottle up the Chiefs offense for minimal to moderate success. They are confident as they've held their opponents to 22 points over the past three weeks combined; albeit against inferior competition.

On offense, the Texans are inconsistent, have a QB who can't handle constant pressure in his face, and lack a feature running back. What they do have going for them is Alfred Blue running for over 100 yards the last two out of three weeks, Akeem Hunt being a great change of pace back in special play packages, and Jonathan Grimes & Chris Polk to offer a little bit of everything you want in a running back. Hunt has come on strong lately with his speed and quickness which has helped give Bill O'Brien some versatility in his play calling and also gives the Texans a real pass receiving threat out of the backfield with him and Grimes in the game. It's opened things up for this offense, but again, it all depends on the pressure Hoyer faces. Losing Pro-bowl LT Duane Brown yesterday and for the playoffs plays favorably into the Chiefs' pass rush and they have one of the best in the league. The Chiefs are aggressive in the secondary and are a very opportunistic defense. Marcus Peters is having a good rookie season with those gaudy interception #s (8), but he's also been burned for 7 touchdowns (4th worst among all corners) so he can be caught cheating and pay the price. Seth Smith most likely gets the Nuk assignment with some help from Eric Berry when needed. Houston doesn't really have a threat at TE, so someone needs to step up and make plays for this offense because KC isn't going to give the Texans much to play with. Nate Washington HAS to catch those 50-50 balls, and Jalen Strong needs to continue his improvement in his route running and playmaking abilities. Other than that, I just don't see Houston lighting up the scoreboard.

It'll come down to whoever takes care of the ball and finishes the few successful drives with TDs. On paper KC looks to be the better team by a slim margin, but home field playoff game at NRG tips the scales slightly in Houston's favor.

16-13 Houston
88 wrote:Go Coogs' (Regular Season Total Points Champ)
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Re: Chiefs vs Texans

Post by War Wagon »

Call it coincidence, karma or both, but the last time KC won a playoff game was at Houston - albeit 22 years ago and with Joe Montana but I like their chances.

KC 27
Hou 23
Go Coogs'
Eternal Scobode

Post by Go Coogs' »

At least my myopia doesn't extend to the point of ridiculousness.

After the Miami game, Houston's defense is first in sacks, yards allowed and points allowed. They are also first in NFL in 3rd down defense which means they get off the field.

Nuk managed 1500 yards receiving and 11 Tds with 4 below average QBs throwing him the ball. Sean Smith and Eric Berry may be good, but shutting down Nuk is no a small task. And that lack of running game you talk about, Houston's actually had some success running the ball lately.

You have three advantages in this game. Everything else is pretty much dead even:

1) Pass Rush on Hoyer
2) Alex Smith's mobility
3) Travis Kelce

These are advantages that swing in your favor, but nothing that necessitates a 24-16 drubbing at NRG. The spread open at 3 in favor of KC, but for me the game being at NRG makes it a pick'em. Your secondary may be nearly top notch, but don't go to sleep on ours.

Again, I believe its an ugly, low scoring affair that falls the Texans way.
88 wrote:Go Coogs' (Regular Season Total Points Champ)
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

Ridiculous myopia?

Houston won the pathetic AFC South because, well, somebody had to. You are what your record says you are.
R-Jack
Non Sequitur Legend

Post by R-Jack »

Go Coogs' wrote:At least my myopia doesn't extend to the point of ridiculousness.
But you did say the Texans have a shot in this game, right?
Bucmonkey
2011 CFB Bowl Pic Champ

Post by Bucmonkey »

24-13 KC.
Go Bucs, Gators
kcdave
crusader

Post by kcdave »

Hou 16
KC 13
Jay in Phoenix
Eternal Scobode

Post by Jay in Phoenix »

So, unless Houston plans on waking up sometime this game, this one's going to be a rout.

Sorry Coogs, not H-Town's day.
BSmack
2005 and 2010 JFFL Champion

Post by BSmack »

KC 38
HOU 0

Sincerely

The Golf Forum
"Once upon a time, dinosaurs didn't have families. They lived in the woods and ate their children. It was a golden age."

—Earl Sinclair

"I do have respect for authority even though I throw jelly dicks at them.

- Antonio Brown
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

Sure feels good to get that 22 year playoff drought monkey off. I doubt either NE or Denver want to play KC. That D is rather stout and Alex Smith is playing well. I sure hope Maclin will be good to go but even if not, they've shown they can over come injuries to star players and not miss a beat.
Jay in Phoenix
Eternal Scobode

Post by Jay in Phoenix »

Major props to all the KC contingent. That was an ass whooping and the rest of the AFC should be paying very close attention. Hope my KC bros take this ride all the way.
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

Props to Chef fan on breaking the skid.
kcdave wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 8:05 am
I was actually going to to join in the best bets activity here at good ole T1B...The guy that runs that contest is a fucking prick
Derron wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 3:07 pm
You are truly one of the worst pieces of shit to ever post on this board. Start giving up your paycheck for reparations now and then you can shut the fuck up about your racist blasts.
atmdad
Elwood

Post by atmdad »

Jsc810 wrote:
Go Coogs' wrote:Houston's defense is 10x better than that atrocity they had on the field in week 1 against KC. Rahim Moore sucked, Vince Wilfork is being rotated more often, and Andre Hal is one of the best young safeties in the league since replacing Moore. Travis Kelce needs to be accounted for and I think Houston has the scheme and personnel to hold him to a modest performance this time. Maclin is an issue as well, but Jonathon Joseph and Kevin Johnson have the skills to keep him in check, so it comes down to Alex Smith's mobility and extending plays with his legs. Texans struggle with QBs who can scramble as we witnessed with Tyrod Taylor in week 15 against Buffalo, but that was with one handed JJ Watt. The run defense of the Texans is much improved as well because their safeties have a nose for the ball and the Rookie McKinney improved quite a bit throughout the season as well as JaDeveon Clowney. With those two on the field late in the season, opponents struggled to establish the run. Clowney is hurt and his status is unknown for the Wildcard, but most likely he will play. Whitney Mercilus is the x-factor when it comes to containing Alex Smith. If he can feed off the momentum of his 4 sack performance yesterday, then the Texans have the ability to bottle up the Chiefs offense for minimal to moderate success. They are confident as they've held their opponents to 22 points over the past three weeks combined; albeit against inferior competition.

On offense, the Texans are inconsistent, have a QB who can't handle constant pressure in his face, and lack a feature running back. What they do have going for them is Alfred Blue running for over 100 yards the last two out of three weeks, Akeem Hunt being a great change of pace back in special play packages, and Jonathan Grimes & Chris Polk to offer a little bit of everything you want in a running back. Hunt has come on strong lately with his speed and quickness which has helped give Bill O'Brien some versatility in his play calling and also gives the Texans a real pass receiving threat out of the backfield with him and Grimes in the game. It's opened things up for this offense, but again, it all depends on the pressure Hoyer faces. Losing Pro-bowl LT Duane Brown yesterday and for the playoffs plays favorably into the Chiefs' pass rush and they have one of the best in the league. The Chiefs are aggressive in the secondary and are a very opportunistic defense. Marcus Peters is having a good rookie season with those gaudy interception #s (8), but he's also been burned for 7 touchdowns (4th worst among all corners) so he can be caught cheating and pay the price. Seth Smith most likely gets the Nuk assignment with some help from Eric Berry when needed. Houston doesn't really have a threat at TE, so someone needs to step up and make plays for this offense because KC isn't going to give the Texans much to play with. Nate Washington HAS to catch those 50-50 balls, and Jalen Strong needs to continue his improvement in his route running and playmaking abilities. Other than that, I just don't see Houston lighting up the scoreboard.

It'll come down to whoever takes care of the ball and finishes the few successful drives with TDs. On paper KC looks to be the better team by a slim margin, but home field playoff game at NRG tips the scales slightly in Houston's favor.

16-13 Houston

You must now be in competition with YAFJ for some sort of award.
Ehhh, I disagree. Coog's actually puts some thought and provides some cognizant discussion behind his blind homerism as opposed to the YAFJ I wouldn't pass on any opportunity to suck Cowboy cock slant on the topic. I am also pretty sure Coog's will man up and be back here sooner than later to take his lumps.