Building a new deck

It's the 17th Anniversary for T1B - Fuckin' A

Moderator: Jesus H Christ

War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Building a new deck

Post by War Wagon »

But first have to demolish the one I built 25 years ago that was intended to outlive me.

It hasn't, due to the fact that I scabbed on to the original deck joists which seemed like a good idea at the time. So I'm out there swinging a sledgehammer while I'm not in the same shape at 53 as I was at 28. But I will get it done, no matter how painful it is to take out something you built back in the day. My back hurts.

No, I'm not building the new one. I'll buy the lumber and have a friend of a friend pro erect it.

Might need some advice from 'holic on which materials to use... should I go with the 6 x 6 posts or will 4 x 4's do?

What about the joists? 2 x 10's or 2 x 8's?

This one will certainly outlive me, but not my lesbian daughter. I want to leave her something sturdy but not get too expensive or needlessly over built.
Diego in Seattle
Rouser Of Rabble

Re: Building a new deck

Post by Diego in Seattle »

:dins: should be along shortly to let you know what screws you should buy...
“Left Seater” wrote:So charges are around the corner?
9/27/22
Carson
2012 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by Carson »

Demolish?

- smackaholic
Y2K
Internet Overlord

Post by Y2K »

4X4 posts on a concrete riser is fine.
2X8 joists are fine (use joist hangers)
You can use a 2X10 or 12 on the perimeter, depends on how high the deck sits off the ground.

BTW-- Stain and then seal the wood with a good Marine Varnish ahead of time. McCloskey's Man-O-War marine varnish is excellent.
Goober McTuber
World Renowned Last Word Whore

Post by Goober McTuber »

I built my own deck about 15 years ago. Home Depot had just opened in the neighborhood and gave a 10% discount on everything. My deck was going to be 13.5' by 19.5'. I special ordered 20' deck planks, so I'd have no joints on the deck. (Save your pot jokes, I'm not reading them.) My local AP took off 10% whenn I ordered and another 10% when the lumber arrived.

4X4 for the posts is fine as long as your name isn't Go Coogs'.
Joe in PB wrote: Yeah I'm the dumbass
schmick, speaking about Larry Nassar's pubescent and prepubescent victims wrote: They couldn't even kick that doctors ass

Seems they rather just lay there, get fucked and play victim
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

I went with 10s for joists, 6x6 posts. It was overkill, given the span, but I like overkill when it comes to structural matters. The one thing I did that I regret was composite decking. I bought Lowe's brand in grey. They had an absolutely ridiculous deal on the stuff. I found out why later. They don't carry it anymore. If I need to replace any or extend the deck, I will have a hell of a time trying to match it. Think I would go with PT if I had it to do over. Yeah, ya gotta stain it every few years, but, that is a good beer drinking activity on a warm spring day. And when you gouge the shit out of it, hit it with a belt sander. Try that with composite fake grain and see how it looks.
mvscal wrote:The only precious metals in a SHTF scenario are lead and brass.
Wolfman
Dumpater Artist

Post by Wolfman »

Sorry I can't resist.
"It''s not dark yet--but it's getting there". -- Bob Dylan

Carbon Dating, the number one dating app for senior citizens.

"Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teaches my hands to the war, and my fingers to fight."
R-Jack
Non Sequitur Legend

Post by R-Jack »

smackaholic wrote:If I need to replace any or extend the deck, I will have a hell of a time trying to match it.
You can't match it. That little thing called oxidation. I extended the deck in my old house and it looked like shit.

Composite sux and is gax. Lesson learned.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

I believe my work here is done.

Except put something nasty on the tops of the joists -- coal tar, or some such nasty thing. That's where the rot happens.

And do what Y2K said -- stain it in advance. Takes much longer, makes it last much longer when you actually have stain on the ends.
I got 99 problems but the 'vid ain't one
Mikey
Carbon Neutral since 1955

Post by Mikey »

Sudden Sam wrote:I've got a big deck.
Compared to what?
BSmack
2005 and 2010 JFFL Champion

Post by BSmack »

Goober waxes his deck.
"Once upon a time, dinosaurs didn't have families. They lived in the woods and ate their children. It was a golden age."

—Earl Sinclair

"I do have respect for authority even though I throw jelly dicks at them.

- Antonio Brown
Goober McTuber

Post by Goober McTuber »

Goober makes good bank. Goober pays a lovely young lady to wax his deck.
schmick, speaking about Larry Nassar's pubescent and prepubescent victims wrote: They couldn't even kick that doctors ass

Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Goober McTuber wrote:Goober makes good bank. Goober pays a lovely young lady to wax his deck.
So you hire your neighbor's kid to service your yard?
Goober McTuber

Post by Goober McTuber »

Mikey wrote:
Goober McTuber wrote:Goober makes good bank. Goober pays a lovely young lady to wax his deck.
So you hire your neighbor's kid to service your yard?
Some things I like to do myself.

smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

Dinsdale wrote:I believe my work here is done.

Except put something nasty on the tops of the joists -- coal tar, or some such nasty thing. That's where the rot happens.

And do what Y2K said -- stain it in advance. Takes much longer, makes it last much longer when you actually have stain on the ends.
I remember this discussion from back around the time I was building my deck. If I recall, it comes down to what materials are used. We typically use PT SYP. That is very strong, badass stuff. Will a coat of stain or tar hurt? No, but, it won't really add anything. Forget who it was that was familiar with what is used on both coasts.

As for wags and his flyover bretheren, WGAF. :grin:
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

Sudden Sam wrote:
smackaholic wrote:I went with 10s for joists, 6x6 posts. It was overkill, given the span, but I like overkill when it comes to structural matters. The one thing I did that I regret was composite decking. I bought Lowe's brand in grey. They had an absolutely ridiculous deal on the stuff. I found out why later. They don't carry it anymore. If I need to replace any or extend the deck, I will have a hell of a time trying to match it. Think I would go with PT if I had it to do over. Yeah, ya gotta stain it every few years, but, that is a good beer drinking activity on a warm spring day. And when you gouge the shit out of it, hit it with a belt sander. Try that with composite fake grain and see how it looks.
I will not be that dude. I have about a dozen galvanized 1/2 (I think) carriage bolts holding the deck to the sill plate of the house. If the deck falls, the back wall of casa smack is going with it.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

smackaholic wrote:Will a coat of stain or tar hurt? No, but, it won't really add anything.
The problem, which I'm guessing is worse here in the Land of Firs, is that needles and whatnot get between the boards, sit on top of the joists, and stay above freezing and rot all winter -- takes the joist with it sooner or later.

I've seen people put aluminum caps over the joists.
I got 99 problems but the 'vid ain't one
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

I do have a spruce about 50 ft behind the deck, but, no chance of it shedding anything onto the deck. Just about everything else is oak. Those tend not to get between the decking.
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Sudden Sam wrote:Image
Nice big deck. Which one is you?
Y2K
Internet Overlord

Post by Y2K »

Dinsdale wrote:
smackaholic wrote:Will a coat of stain or tar hurt? No, but, it won't really add anything.
The problem, which I'm guessing is worse here in the Land of Firs, is that needles and whatnot get between the boards, sit on top of the joists, and stay above freezing and rot all winter -- takes the joist with it sooner or later.

I've seen people put aluminum caps over the joists.
Yep..see that a lot in the mountain homes.
I do suggest Marine Varnish in places that have a lot of snow and rain, it'll extend the life of the wood big time. No need for shit like thompsons water seal and crap like that. I put my Balcony up over 6 years ago in Redwood, and it still sheds off water like a champ (well when we get get rain and whatnot) and the wood still looks awesome. added time and cost but well worth it. Treat the hell outta the wood close to the ground including the pier blocks or you'll have either termites or rot.
Derron
Eternal Scobode

Post by Derron »

War Wagon wrote:B

So I'm out there swinging a sledgehammer while I'm not in the same shape at 53 as I was at 28. But I will get it done, no matter how painful it is to take out something you built back in the day. My back hurts.

Derron
Screw_Michigan wrote: Democrats are the REAL racists.
Softball Bat wrote: Is your anus quivering?
missjo
I'm a Fucking Princess

Post by missjo »

You just can't fix stupid...trust me I've tried
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

Finished tearing the old deck out yesterday, that was a fucking job. It was hot and I got a sunburn.

Anyways, went to Home Depot after work today with my contractor and bought the lumber....

smackaholic wrote:I went with 10s for joists, 6x6 posts. It was overkill, given the span, but I like overkill when it comes to structural matters.
Same here, because the guy building it insisted he wasn't going to build a flimsy deck using 2 x 8 joists or 4 x 4 posts to save a few bucks. This is the same man who did a fantastic job remodeling my shit hole of a bathroom, at a reasonable price, so I took his advice.

Damnit 'holic, I'll never be able to ridicule you for that over built deck again. :brad:

But I'll still have that thing you call a foundation that's attached to it. :hfal:
poptart
Quitty McQuitface

Post by poptart »

Work Wagon wrote:Finished tearing the old deck out yesterday
Let's get some pictures.
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

Who do you think I am, $cott?

I might be able to get some 'after' pics in a few days but if you want the 'before', all I could give would be what's in the 30 yard container in the driveway.