Is aviation completely dead?

It's the 19th Anniversary for T1B - Fuckin' A

Moderator: Jesus H Christ

Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Is aviation completely dead?

Post by Screw_Michigan »

A suicidal pilot decides to drive an airliner full of 150 innocent passengers into a mountain.

An airliner disappears over the Indian Ocean. Completely disappears. 200 people die without a trace.

Passengers are getting shafted left and right because of decreased competition in the market.

Is aviation dead? Discuss.
kcdave wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 8:05 am
I was actually going to to join in the best bets activity here at good ole T1B...The guy that runs that contest is a fucking prick
Derron wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 3:07 pm
You are truly one of the worst pieces of shit to ever post on this board. Start giving up your paycheck for reparations now and then you can shut the fuck up about your racist blasts.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Re: Is aviation completely dead?

Post by Dinsdale »

Screw_Michigan wrote:Discuss.
Aviation is something I'm not too familiar with.

But through the pool I work out of, I got a job tomorrow. I'm getting an obscene amount of money to go meet some delivery guys, and install a clothes dryer. Yup, pull the old one out, hook up the vent, plug it in, make sure it works. Not something I do, since these days I mostly do network/computer installs, but it came up. Don't have to pick it up, nor haul the old one off. I'd do 3 of these suckers a day, and be a very happy man. Hell, I'd become a general contractor again if they lined those fuckers up.

I'll bet you wish I was showing up at your door to "install" a dryer, eh?

As to the topic -- I haven't been on a plane in about 10 years. Here's to another 10, unless someone pays me to do it.
I got 99 problems but the 'vid ain't one
H4ever
Eternal Scobode

Post by H4ever »

Aren't pilots compensated very shittily <--- like that one? if you consider how many lives are at stake on each flight? THought I read how entry level pilots can make more as an asst manager at a Burger King in most states. ?????
Left Seater
36,000 ft above the chaos

Post by Left Seater »

Wow!

My post must have been completely on the mark.

"Looks around the new digs in Screwy's dome, says to self, lots of room but the view sucks."
Moving Sale wrote:I really are a fucking POS.
Softball Bat wrote: I am the dumbest motherfucker ever to post on the board.
Left Seater

Post by Left Seater »

I certainly wouldn't say aviation is dead, but the allure and romance of air travel certainly is.

The airlines are Ina race to the bottom. Up thru some of the 80s airline travel was at least comfortable. Meals were served on most flights, when you bought your ticket that was it no add on fees that doubled the ticket price, no security theater to swell government employment numbers, etc, etc, etc.

Aviation isn't going away, but it is becoming less comfortable daily.
BSmack
2005 and 2010 JFFL Champion

Post by BSmack »

I haven't flown since October 2000. I was on a business trip then, doing software installs on Fuji printers. I went to DC, The high point was getting to meet up with Tom from DC. Good dude. The low point was DC traffic. No matter how far ahead I planned, it was never enough. I was on the 8th floor of a hotel overlooking the Pentagon. I could see the fucking White House from my room. Where I was working was withing 1000 yards of the White House. Average commute? Over an hour one way in the AM. PM traffic was a little better. But not much.

When I flew out I flew out of Reagan. I had a beautiful view of the whole city. I don't think they've been allowed to fly that way since 9/11.
"Once upon a time, dinosaurs didn't have families. They lived in the woods and ate their children. It was a golden age."

—Earl Sinclair

"I do have respect for authority even though I throw jelly dicks at them.

- Antonio Brown
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

BSmack wrote:I haven't flown since October 2000. I was on a business trip then, doing software installs on Fuji printers. I went to DC, The high point was getting to meet up with Tom from DC. Good dude. The low point was DC traffic. No matter how far ahead I planned, it was never enough. I was on the 8th floor of a hotel overlooking the Pentagon. I could see the fucking White House from my room. Where I was working was withing 1000 yards of the White House. Average commute? Over an hour one way in the AM. PM traffic was a little better. But not much.

When I flew out I flew out of Reagan. I had a beautiful view of the whole city. I don't think they've been allowed to fly that way since 9/11.
Why didn't you take the Metro? In 2000, it didn't suck.
I was actually going to to join in the best bets activity here at good ole T1B...The guy that runs that contest is a fucking prick
You are truly one of the worst pieces of shit to ever post on this board. Start giving up your paycheck for reparations now and then you can shut the fuck up about your racist blasts.
Left Seater

Post by Left Seater »

BSmack wrote:I haven't flown since October 2000.

DC had some of the dumbest rules for awhile after 9/11. One restricted anyone from even standing up when the aircraft was within 30 minutes of arrival in DC. The waitresses got crazy with enforcement and people literally wet themselves and shit themselves and had to sit in it until arrival in DC. Saw plenty of waitresses threaten to have passengers arrested during that time.

Arrival and departures now do try to avoid direct overflight of many DC buildings but the biggest factor on routing has become noise mitigation. Many are river arrivals and departures to "keep the noise" over the river.
BSmack
2005 and 2010 JFFL Champion

Post by BSmack »

Screw_Michigan wrote:Why didn't you take the Metro? In 2000, it didn't suck.
I rented a car out of Dulles. I returned to DC in 2005. We took the metro from outside Baltimore. It was much saner.
"Once upon a time, dinosaurs didn't have families. They lived in the woods and ate their children. It was a golden age."

—Earl Sinclair

"I do have respect for authority even though I throw jelly dicks at them.

- Antonio Brown
Left Seater

Post by Left Seater »

BSmack wrote:
Screw_Michigan wrote:Why didn't you take the Metro? In 2000, it didn't suck.
I rented a car out of Dulles. I returned to DC in 2005. We took the metro from outside Baltimore. It was much saner.

Might be because for some unknown reason the Metro still doesn't reach Dulles. How this has taken 40+ years is crazy. Urban planning fail!
atmdad
Elwood

Post by atmdad »

Lefty, do you monitor your yearly radiation dose? Is this something airlines monitor for crew members?
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

Left Seater wrote:
Might be because for some unknown reason the Metro still doesn't reach Dulles. How this has taken 40+ years is crazy. Urban planning fail!
Conservative jerkoff like yourself fail.
Jerkovich
Please pay attention to Me

Post by Jerkovich »

Up until ten years ago I use to have to fly once or twice a month on the company tab. I was young and single so it was almost fun. Now we're in the 21st century, I almost refuse to fly when you can have a meeting with video conferencing, email, conference calling, and live presentations. I haven't been on a plane in 5 years and I hope it's another 5. The last few flights I was on were a pain in the ass and super uncomfortable. Last year I donated all my flight miles to Give a Kid a Dream.
Rooster
Eternal Scobode

Post by Rooster »

In our lifetime (at least some of us) aviation will be completely automated. The day is rapidly approaching where robotics will supplant humans in the cockpit. This is no new trend, but is a steady progression towards automated systems that was only accelerated over the Iraq-Afghanistan wars.
Once the initial hurdle of overcoming consumers' reluctance, the wave will rapidly overtake human pilots. The old aviation joke of having a pilot, copilot, and a dog on the flight deck will be traded for a primary computer, a backup computer, and an IT tech.
Coming soon to an airline near you!
Cock o' the walk, baby!
mvscal
Blank

Post by mvscal »

Screw_Michigan wrote: Conservative jerkoff like yourself fail.
Yes, of course, journalism is dead. Here is 'Exhibit A.' Its practitioners aren't even able to compose grammatically correct sentences. Screwy is probably the dumbest fuck here except for jerkovich and he's a "journalist."

It really makes me laugh.
Screw_Michigan wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:39 pmUnlike you tards, I actually have functioning tastebuds and a refined pallet.
Left Seater

Post by Left Seater »

Screw_Michigan wrote:
Left Seater wrote:
Conservative jerkoff like yourself fail.
Obsess much? That wasn't directed at you, unless you had something to do with urban planning.
atmdad wrote:Lefty, do you monitor your yearly radiation dose? Is this something airlines monitor for crew members?
Good question. No I don't. There really isn't a ton I can do about it anyway. I don't fly as many hours as an airline pilot, but we fly at a much higher altitude which increases exposure. I also don't fly many polar routes which also increase exposure.

Flight crews tend to have double the melanoma rate of the general population. Is that just from radiation exposure or does it have something to do with airline crews often having layovers in tropical destinations with plenty of free time to do outdoor activities.
Goober McTuber
World Renowned Last Word Whore

Post by Goober McTuber »

Left Seater wrote:Flight crews tend to have double the melanoma rate of the general population. Is that just from radiation exposure or does it have something to do with airline crews often having layovers in tropical destinations with plenty of free time to do outdoor activities.
I believe it's karma.
Joe in PB wrote: Yeah I'm the dumbass
schmick, speaking about Larry Nassar's pubescent and prepubescent victims wrote: They couldn't even kick that doctors ass

Seems they rather just lay there, get fucked and play victim
Left Seater

Post by Left Seater »

How exactly is it karma when a gate agent makes a decision to not allow someone to fly? The gate agent prolly spends less time in the air than you do.
Rooster
Eternal Scobode

Post by Rooster »

http://mobile.nytimes.com/2015/04/07/sc ... &referrer=

The Germanwings crash just reinforces my belief that such events will accelerate the roboticization of aviation.
Cock o' the walk, baby!
Left Seater

Post by Left Seater »

Rooster wrote:http://mobile.nytimes.com/2015/04/07/sc ... &referrer=

The Germanwings crash just reinforces my belief that such events will accelerate the roboticization of aviation.

While I don't disagree that there will continue to be more automation, I don't see how you completely eliminate pilots. Could you safely go to one? Sure. But there are still plenty of things that require a pilot.

For example we don't have a system that can detect clear air turbulence. So how does automation get the plane out of said CAT, which can be very unsettling for the pax, but poses little to no threat to the aircraft?

Take the Air France crash at the airshow a decade plus ago where the automated system in the Airbus refused to allow the pilot to override what was happening and the plane destroyed itself.

What about the aborted landing I had where the right seater saw the Aligator heading to the warm sunny runway as we were trying to land?

Automated systems also don't have a gut feeling. There are plenty of examples of pilots sensing something isn't going correctly despite the instruments reading normal and their gut reaction saved the plane and pax.

Knowing what I do, I Would never ride in a plane that didn't have a human in the cockpit with ultimate control.
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

Rooster wrote:http://mobile.nytimes.com/2015/04/07/sc ... &referrer=

Sure thing, as long as you're willing to hop on a plane without a human pilot. Not me.
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

Left Seater wrote: Obsess much? That wasn't directed at you, unless you had something to do with urban planning.
If you knew what the fuck you were talking about, you wouldn't need it explained to you. Crack a book sometime, idiot.
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

mvscal wrote:
Screw_Michigan wrote: Conservative jerkoff like yourself fail.
Yes, of course, journalism is dead. Here is 'Exhibit A.' Its practitioners aren't even able to compose grammatically correct sentences. Screwy is probably the dumbest fuck here except for jerkovich and he's a "journalist."

It really makes me laugh.
Thanks, 8th grade english teacher. Go fuck yourself, asswipe. Did I write that properly?
Goober McTuber

Post by Goober McTuber »

Left Seater wrote:How exactly is it karma when a gate agent makes a decision to not allow someone to fly? The gate agent prolly spends less time in the air than you do.
It was a joke. I found it funny that that story showed up in the news the same day that you were musing about higher cancer rates in pilots. Lighten up, Frances.
schmick, speaking about Larry Nassar's pubescent and prepubescent victims wrote: They couldn't even kick that doctors ass

Jay in Phoenix
Eternal Scobode

Post by Jay in Phoenix »

Screw_Michigan wrote:Thanks, 8th grade english teacher. Go fuck yourself, asswipe. Did I write that properly?
Ah, what's the matter Screwy, having your poor writing skills pointed out get under your sensitive skin? Is the Enquirer not paying enough for your "work"? By the way, English is capitalized.

Maybe you should crack a book.
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

Jay in Phoenix wrote:
Screw_Michigan wrote:Thanks, 8th grade english teacher. Go fuck yourself, asswipe. Did I write that properly?
Ah, what's the matter Screwy, having your poor writing skills pointed out get under your sensitive skin? Is the Enquirer not paying enough for your "work"? By the way, English is capitalized.

I prolly would have dropped a question mark immediately after screwey.
mvscal wrote:The only precious metals in a SHTF scenario are lead and brass.
R-Jack
Non Sequitur Legend

Post by R-Jack »

smackaholic wrote:
Jay in Phoenix wrote:
Its debateable.
Goober McTuber

Post by Goober McTuber »

smackaholic wrote:
Jay in Phoenix wrote:

Yes, and you probably would have made 3 or 9 other punctuation/capitalization/spelling errors. So you've got that going for you.

Rooster
Eternal Scobode

Post by Rooster »

But that's the thing, Screwy. How often do you ever see the pilots when you board a plane? If the cockpit door was closed when you got on and the flight was uneventful, you'd never be the wiser and would just assume the pilot was skilled. Any autopilot can fly circles around a human pilot any day of the week-- all the way down to touchdown.
Issues like turbulence and weather avoidance could be addressed by more restrictive parameters and procedures.
Cock o' the walk, baby!
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Jay in Phoenix wrote:

For real?

You should consider proofreading what you wrote, then tucking tail.
I got 99 problems but the 'vid ain't one
Left Seater

Post by Left Seater »

Rooster wrote:But that's the thing, Screwy. How often do you ever see the pilots when you board a plane? If the cockpit door was closed when you got on and the flight was uneventful, you'd never be the wiser and would just assume the pilot was skilled. Any autopilot can fly circles around a human pilot any day of the week-- all the way down to touchdown.
Issues like turbulence and weather avoidance could be addressed by more restrictive parameters and procedures.

I guess, but how does the aircraft know what altitude to request for a smoother ride? Is it monitoring ride reports from other airplanes also without pilots?
Goober McTuber

Post by Goober McTuber »

Rooster wrote:But that's the thing, Screwy. How often do you ever see the pilots when you board a plane? If the cockpit door was closed when you got on and the flight was uneventful, you'd never be the wiser and would just assume the pilot was skilled. Any autopilot can fly circles around a human pilot any day of the week-- all the way down to touchdown.
Wasn't part of the problem with the Air France crash the fact that the pilots put too much trust in the autopilot?

Shlomart Ben Yisrael
Insha'Allah

Post by Shlomart Ben Yisrael »

Goober McTuber wrote:...Air France...
Don't do it, Sam. Just don't.
:x
rock rock to the planet rock ... don't stop
Felix wrote:you've become very bitter since you became jewish......
Kierland drop-kicking Wolftard wrote: Aren’t you part of the silent generation?
Why don’t you just STFU.
Smackie Chan
Eternal Scobode

Post by Smackie Chan »

Dinsdale wrote:
Jay in Phoenix wrote:Ah, what's the matter Screwy, having your poor writing skills pointed out get under your sensitive skin? Is the Enquirer not paying enough for your "work"? By the way, English is capitalized.

You should consider proofreading what you wrote, then tucking tail.
...and moving to KC?
"They say that I have no hits and that I’m difficult to work with. And they say that like it’s a bad thing!”

Tom Waits
Left Seater

Post by Left Seater »

Goober McTuber wrote:
Wasn't part of the problem with the Air France crash the fact that the pilots put too much trust in the autopilot?

There wasn't an override, I am taking control right fucking now button. So the plane that was configured to land decided it was going to land regardless of what input the pilots gave it. It fought them as they were trying to apply full power and to raise the gear, etc. The plane "won" and landed itself in trees.
Diego in Seattle
Rouser Of Rabble

Post by Diego in Seattle »

Any idea of where this was, LS?

“Left Seater” wrote:So charges are around the corner?
9/27/22