Re: lets talk ribs

Post by Mikey »

mothster wrote: damn i'm hungry for some bone
:shock: :shock:
mothster
at moderators discretion

Post by mothster »

there's a new 'chicago for ribs' outfit that opened up in the hood

theres a feast u can order that has 3 types of ribs, wings, shrimp, slaw, onion rings, corn on the cob, beans, cornbread

i plan on scoring it
mvscals blow monkey spunk
Mikey
Carbon Neutral since 1955

Post by Mikey »

Is it a good sordid clambake to cruise for bone?
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

I'm not sure what the difference between all those styles is, but I usually just take some baby back ribs, boil 'em with a mixture of seasonings, grill 'em on medium for a while, slap some sauce on 'em and grill a few minutes more until the sauce starts carmelizing.

Usually comes out pretty good.

One of these days I'm gonna get a large smoker. Once I have that puppy it will be the only place I will cook ribs.
Last edited by Mikey on Thu Apr 28, 2005 10:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mothster
at moderators discretion

Post by mothster »

Mikey wrote:Is it a good sordid clambake to cruise for bone?
bone is as bone does-------

jonas bone
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

mothster wrote:
Mikey wrote:Is it a good sordid clambake to cruise for bone?
bone is as bone does-------

jonas bone
do you prefer bone in or bone out?
mothster
at moderators discretion

Post by mothster »

bone in seems to work on just about everything (pork chops, steaks, chicken, etc)
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

i'm partial to what i grew up with--which is the Oklahoma Texas style. My mom's has an outdoor meatsmoker and her ribs out of this world. (yeah, yeah, i know--mom, meatsmoker.....). corn meal fried okra too.

i could smell that stuff slow mesquite/apple wood smoking from blocks away walking home from school.

i really do like the North Carolina vinegar-based style alot. pulled pork, iz good.

if you get a chance to go to KC: post on tigerboard.com or one of the KSU sites about BBQ places. you'll get *plenty* of feedback.

edit: if in KC: you gots to go to Stroud's Pan Fried Chicken.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Mikey wrote:One of these days I'm gonna get a large smoker.
Moth is cruising for bone. Sounds like you two were meant for each other.
I got 99 problems but the 'vid ain't one
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

King Crimson wrote: if in KC: you gots to go to Stroud's Pan Fried Chicken.
Wrong.

Strouds is ok, but we're talking bbque here.

If you want the best in KC, you hit the Smokehouse on N. Oak in Gladstone.

Case closed, end of story.

Ps: Don't miss the baked beans.
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

War Wagon wrote:
King Crimson wrote: if in KC: you gots to go to Stroud's Pan Fried Chicken.
Wrong.

Strouds is ok, but we're talking bbque here.

If you want the best in KC, you hit the Smokehouse on N. Oak in Gladstone.

Case closed, end of story.

Ps: Don't miss the baked beans.
i didn't say it was BBQ; i said it was a good place to go. have it your way, if it's OK. i like Strouds.

like i said: post on a few boards: "what's the best BBQ in KC?" and you'll get 2 dozen answers as gospel.

and that's why it cool.
mothster
at moderators discretion

Post by mothster »

scored the feast---standouts were the babybacks, chicken and cornbread

the sauce was a tangy sweet type-----carolina?
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

How was the bone?
mothster
at moderators discretion

Post by mothster »

Mikey wrote:How was the bone?
hard, white, and discarded in the trash

beans and corn were good also, slaw was generic

they also provided a nice fruit medley of pineapple and cantalope

gnawing on cold chicken and red wine rite now

tally $37.99
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

mothster wrote:
Mikey wrote:How was the bone?
hard, white, and discarded in the trash
'sall that matters dawg.

Sounds like you had a real good time.
mothster
at moderators discretion

Post by mothster »

also came with fries which i chuked, the onion rings were like a brick broken up
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Re: lets talk ribs

Post by indyfrisco »

mothster wrote:damn i'm hungry for some bone
Another one bites the dust....or bone...
Goober McTuber wrote:One last post...
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

Mikey wrote:One of these days I'm gonna get a large smoker. Once I have that puppy it will be the only place I will cook ribs.
Mikey,

Here's mine. Can't beat it. These babies are so fucking heavy duty and highest of quality. Free shipping too. Click on pic.

I also bought one of these that I use to cook everyday food on over charcoal like steaks, chicken and pork chops. I also take it tailgaiting.

You need to go to http://www.lyfetyme.com to order this model. I would also check out their pricing for the large smoker with firebox.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

That's a bbq, not a smoker.

If that's your deal, then check out http://www.traegergrills.com/.

WAR -- U&L
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

IndyFrisco wrote:Smoking is not a process of cooking. It is a process of curing. However, we slow this process down a little more than Barbecuing and call it smoking.
OK, so the person who wrote that agrees with me too.

Glad we got that cleared up. Kinda like how when you swing at a pitch and hit it "we" ignore the fact a pitch was thrown. Got it.

In other circles, "we" call that "indirect cooking."

"Smoking" is done in a "smoker," which advertising gimmicks aside, are an extension of indirect cooking. Ideally, a smoker shouldn't exceed about 165 degrees. "We" call that farenheit. Turning the barbeque down a couple of degrees doesn't mean "we" are smoking. It means "we" turned the temp down on the bbq.

Don't get me wrong, slow raosting shit on the Q with indirect heat is about the second-greatest thing known to mankind, but it's not "smoking."

Are "we" clear now?
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

Po-Tay-Toe….Po-Tah-Toe

I keep the temp in the chamber regulated around 200* and use mesquite or hickory to smoke whatever it is I’m making, be it brisket, ribs, ham, chicken, etc. Like you said, it is an “extension” of smoking which, in my experiences, has the same end result. What you call the process to get the same end result is semantics in my book.

In any case, I looked at the “smokers” in the link you provided. They are pretty sweet, but I have a hard time plugging my “smoker” into a wall for heat. I have been considering opening up a BBQ restaurant in my town here which does not have one. That commercial model that is about $6000 looks pretty nice. Like I said before though, I have a hard time with plugging it into the wall. You are not only married to the company for their pellets, but the fate of the restaurant hinges on a motor, which will most definitely break at some point. Of course, that’s why you’d need probably at least 3 of these things to be successful…
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Actually, I pretty much agreed with you from the get-go. I try to yank people by the short hairs as often as possible. Let's keep that between us though, ok?

Actually, the only heat from electricity in the Traeger is when you start it. It uses an element to get the pellets burning to start the ball rolling. After that, like you said, there's a small electric fan that pushes the heat/smoke from the firebox into the cooking chamber. Pretty sweet setup, actually, but your concerns with the mechanics are valid, imo.

I have a bud or two that uses the Traeger. They've never had any problem whatsoever.....but, they're not using them commercially. And as for the pellets -- I'm not sure if Traeger has a monopoly on those, or what. Round here, it's no big deal, since they're(pretty much) local.

As a matter of fact (and is any post truly complete without an "as a matter of fact"?), we'll be using one for a big wingding tonight. Thanks to YOU, fucker will probably break down in the middle of some grub, you jinxing-ass mofo.

That said, we used to routinely borrow a "smokercue" from a neighbor. It was the inside tank from a water heater, turned on its side. Wood fire under one side(with vent underneath), cooking grill on the other side(with vent above). Takes a long time to get a wood fire ready, so there's a much larger time investment(which is where the Traeger shines....you hit a button, and in ten minutes, you're off and running), but that good ole fashioned unit kicks the living shit out of any other device of its type that I've ever seen. WAY better results. But, without that, the Traeger is a decent substitute, as I'm sure yours is, as well.
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

I want one...

This would be my ultimate back yard fantasy, but it's about $2500...

ImageImage

And then there's the one with the optional motor driven spit for a 150 lb whole hog...

http://www.smokinjoejones.com/shop/index.html
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

Mikey,

Get one. I'm in love with mine. It's perfect for at home use. Those others you posted are great and all, but when will you have the need to cook THAT much at once?

I suggest if you do get one, call the manufacturer and see if they can give you a better price, including shipping. I doubt it though. I got my big one through a dealership and brought it home myself. I got my little picnic grill through the manufacturer and had to pay a hundred bucks shipping, and I lived in the state of Texas at the time! You live in Cali, if I remember correctly, so I would guess shipping on that smoker will be at least $200 or $300.

That free shipping link is a helluva deal.
Variable
Untitled

Post by Variable »

Dins wrote:farenheit
Fahrenheit, too. :D

Texas-style BBQ is okay, but I find the sauce to be too thin and not flavorful enough. For whatever reason, there are a TON of Texas-style BBQ places in SoCal. Most do a better than average job smoking the ribs, but their sauce just isn't good enough for me.

Personally, I like KC-style BBQ, but it's tough to find around these parts.

There's a mini-chain in this area called Lucille's, that professes to have the best ribs in the world (doesn't everyone say that?). They're also supposedly KC-style. The OL and I tried them out a few months back and were totally unimpressed. Half of my rack was burnt on the bone side and the sauce was so sweet that it was like they had coated the ribs with brown corn syrup. Um...no thanks. They must be doing something right though, because the line is out the door there every Fri & Sat night.