Historic blizzard of 2015

It's the 19th Anniversary for T1B - Fuckin' A

Moderator: Jesus H Christ

War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Historic blizzard of 2015

Post by War Wagon »

Calling for up to 3 ft. of snow on NYC and elsewhere in New England. :shock:

Not gloating and winter is far from over, but we've only had maybe 5" here so far this entire season. The past few years, it seems February is the worst month.

Stay off the roads, 'holic and others likely to be buried.
trev
New Sheriff in Town

Re: Historic blizzard of 2015

Post by trev »

Yowzers. Shorts and yard work here today. I planted my first lemon tree.
poptart
Quitty McQuitface

Post by poptart »

Wagon wrote:Calling for up to 3 ft. of snow on NYC and elsewhere in New England
Good.
mvscal
Blank

Post by mvscal »

War Wagon wrote:Not gloating and winter is far from over, but we've only had maybe 5" here so far this entire season.
We haven't even had that much. It's been in the 40s & 50s for the last two weeks.
Screw_Michigan wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:39 pmUnlike you tards, I actually have functioning tastebuds and a refined pallet.
Wolfman
Dumpater Artist

Post by Wolfman »

Good place for it. Speaking of lemons, our Lisbon lemon tree has had another bumper crop with some good sized ones to boot.
Here is the big and small of it so far. Probably had nearly 70-80 lemons this year.

Snow brings back these memories: CNY 1993 manning my Sear's Craftsman Drift Buster wearing my Rony Seikely Miami Heat hat.

"It''s not dark yet--but it's getting there". -- Bob Dylan

Carbon Dating, the number one dating app for senior citizens.

"Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teaches my hands to the war, and my fingers to fight."
Mikey
Carbon Neutral since 1955

Post by Mikey »

trev wrote:Yowzers. Shorts and yard work here today. I planted my first lemon tree.
My "dwarf" Meyer lemon tree is completely full of fruit. These are about the juiciest and best tasting lemons you can get.

This is after taking a couple of dozen off this morning. And we've been using them almost daily for months for one thing or another.
This time of year we get so many I have to take a bunch to work, and squeeze a lot for juice that I freeze in ice trays.

Funny thing. Lemon trees grow all over the place around here. A lot of people seem to just let the fruit drop on the ground. And they still get $0.50 to $0.75 apiece at the grocery store for lemons with thick skins and almost no juice.
trev
New Sheriff in Town

Post by trev »

I finally got tired of buying lemons. Sometimes they are a buck a piece. Ridiculous! I finally got a dwarf Meyer lemon tree too.! I'm so excited.

I read that if you keep the picked lemons in water they will stay longer in your fridge. Never tried it, so I don't know.

Your lemon tree looks great Mikey! How often do you fertilize it?
R-Jack
Non Sequitur Legend

Post by R-Jack »

trev wrote:How often do you fertilize it?
It depends on how often sirfindafold is posting.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

So far this season, we've had a total of 0" of snow. Yesterday, when I got off the fishing boat after drifting the river, it was 61 and sunny.

Been the easiest winter in a long time. And it's most likely over (although I'm not going to bet the rent). El Nino was good this time around -- it isn't always.
I got 99 problems but the 'vid ain't one
Truman
Eternal Scobode

Post by Truman »

War Wagon wrote:Calling for up to 3 ft. of snow on NYC and elsewhere in New England. :shock:

Not gloating and winter is far from over, but we've only had maybe 5" here so far this entire season. The past few years, it seems February is the worst month.

Huh?

:?

Try traces south of the Missouri. Still awaiting the arrival of winter. Fuck this noise... March can't get here soon enough.
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

trev wrote:

Your lemon tree looks great Mikey! How often do you fertilize it?
I have never fertilized it, and it's been there for probably 12 years.

It's the most iodot-proof tree that I've ever seen. It seems to have lemons in various stages of ripeness just about all year long. So, there's almost always some ripe lemons available for using. It actually seems to produce several crops per year, with the largest in late winter, early spring. It seems to depend a little on how diligent I am in removing the old fruit. It think I'll clear the tree of everything but the small unripe green ones to make room for new buds.

You know those big fruit boxes (mostly for apples) with hand holes you can get at Costco? I once filled one to the top in one session of clearing the tree. Took a lot to work and juiced the rest.

Also, I don't worry about how long they'll keep because I can always pick a fresh one. They'll stay pretty fresh for up to a week on the kitchen counter. If I slice one up and don't use all the pieces I don't bother saving the extras. They go down the disposal (keeps the sink smelling good).
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

Truman wrote:
Try traces south of the Missouri.
There's your clue, Tru.

Once that river makes an east turn, the weather boundary is astounding. I live a good 15 miles north and my wife insists it's been at least 6" so far.
Moving Sale

Post by Moving Sale »

Mikey wrote:

Funny thing. Lemon trees grow all over the place around here. A lot of people seem to just let the fruit drop on the ground. And they still get $0.50 to $0.75 apiece at the grocery store for lemons with thick skins and almost no juice.
It looks a little lanky. You might want to think about cutting back a few of the tips that have little or no buds or sm fruit on them. And if you see any dead stuff in the interior of the canopy take that out too. Other than that it's looks like it's doing well.
Felix
2012 JAFFL Champ

Post by Felix »

Dinsdale wrote:So far this season, we've had a total of 0" of snow. Yesterday, when I got off the fishing boat after drifting the river, it was 61 and sunny.

Been the easiest winter in a long time. And it's most likely over (although I'm not going to bet the rent). El Nino was good this time around -- it isn't always.
I had a job offer in the U&L working for the feds.....even the cost of living consideration couldn't lure me away....

would have been about a $30k/yr. increase......
get out, get out while there's still time
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Moving Sale wrote:It looks a little lanky. You might want to think about cutting back a few of the tips that have little or no buds or sm fruit on them. And if you see any dead stuff in the interior of the canopy take that out too. Other than that it's looks like it's doing well.
Pretty much agree.

But for starters, as a DISCLAIMER -- I have zero experience growing citrus. And when I say Zero," it's not hyperbole... fully literal.

But I know a bit about growing fruit. And I wouldn't say it was "lanky." From one pic, it appears that after 12 years of root growth, it's in its groove. I'm guessing, from one pic, that the pic was taken facing north (no visible shadows to help). The "lanky" shit on the left is new growth, either from the tree pushing a new bud because it felt like it, or replacing a damaged/overpruned section. Evident from the lighter leaves -- new growth.

But I'll say I'm with MS on pruning. Anything that doesn't have swollen buds and active wood can go, and dude -- it's next to your patio. Prune it to look good, and chop all the lower shit. The low branches get "reject nutrients" (OK, big stretch), and apical dominance dictates that the higher the fruit, the more resources the tree puts into ripening it properly... "low-hanging-fruit," and whatnot. You claim the crop is too humongous (and the pics seem to strongly back the claim), so by limiting the fruiting level (think grapes), you vastly improve the quality of fruit.

Take out the lower branches, and go all old-guy-topiary on that shit. You'll have fun, your yard will look better, and your lemons will taste better.
I got 99 problems but the 'vid ain't one
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

War Wagon wrote:Calling for up to 3 ft. of snow on NYC and elsewhere in New England. :shock:

Highly unlikely I will get buried in anything other than maybe sand. Looks like the OL and I picked the right week to go to Puerto Rico.

If CB doesn't have that shit shoveled when I get home Wednesday night, he'll never block a cock again.
mvscal wrote:The only precious metals in a SHTF scenario are lead and brass.
BSmack
2005 and 2010 JFFL Champion

Post by BSmack »

We're about 12" below normal in Rochester. Buffalo got blasted, Syracuse got blasted, Rochester is just cold.
"Once upon a time, dinosaurs didn't have families. They lived in the woods and ate their children. It was a golden age."

—Earl Sinclair

"I do have respect for authority even though I throw jelly dicks at them.

- Antonio Brown
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Dinsdale wrote:
Moving Sale wrote:It looks a little lanky. You might want to think about cutting back a few of the tips that have little or no buds or sm fruit on them. And if you see any dead stuff in the interior of the canopy take that out too. Other than that it's looks like it's doing well.
Pretty much agree.

But for starters, as a DISCLAIMER -- I have zero experience growing citrus. And when I say Zero," it's not hyperbole... fully literal.

But I know a bit about growing fruit. And I wouldn't say it was "lanky." From one pic, it appears that after 12 years of root growth, it's in its groove. I'm guessing, from one pic, that the pic was taken facing north (no visible shadows to help). The "lanky" shit on the left is new growth, either from the tree pushing a new bud because it felt like it, or replacing a damaged/overpruned section. Evident from the lighter leaves -- new growth.

But I'll say I'm with MS on pruning. Anything that doesn't have swollen buds and active wood can go, and dude -- it's next to your patio. Prune it to look good, and chop all the lower shit. The low branches get "reject cunt cookies" (OK, big stretch), and apical dominance dictates that the higher the fruit, the more resources the tree puts into ripening it properly... "low-hanging-fruit," and whatnot. You claim the crop is too humongous (and the pics seem to strongly back the claim), so by limiting the fruiting level (think grapes), you vastly improve the quality of fruit.

Take out the lower branches, and go all old-guy-topiary on that shit. You'll have fun, your yard will look better, and your lemons will taste better.
Absolutely, the tree is due for a major haircut and will get one once I clear the fruit.

I've pretty much left it alone for the past year and a half, and this is why - the structure behind it (the picture was taken facing approximately SSW in the very late afternoon) is my solar PV shade structure, which is about 9 feet off the ground. It's "L" shaped and also covers the kitchen right behind the tree. It doesn't cover the tree but is immediately above it just to the south and about 8 ft deep. When built the shade structure the tree lost a lot of its sun, which was unimpeded before. I wasn't sure the tree would continue to thrive and even thought of attempting to move it, but decided just to leave it alone for a while and see how it did. I was pretty amazed to see that there was seemingly no real affect on the amount or quality of fruit. So, now, it's time to prune it back into shape.
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

KC Scott wrote:T-Hanksgiving
Son of a BITCH.
kcdave wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 8:05 am
I was actually going to to join in the best bets activity here at good ole T1B...The guy that runs that contest is a fucking prick
Derron wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 3:07 pm
You are truly one of the worst pieces of shit to ever post on this board. Start giving up your paycheck for reparations now and then you can shut the fuck up about your racist blasts.
Moving Sale

Post by Moving Sale »

Mikey,
Given this new info I say trim the shit out of it. One to make it less lopsided and one is to get the right leaves on it.The leaves on that tree have too much "sunscreen" in them and the new leaves after you trim it will be better able to produce the sugars needed. It will grow back fast but you might lose some fruit in the first year. The only caveat is that dwarfs only live 15-20 years (softball for 88) so it might all be for naught. One thing you can do is get another one and put it in a wine barrel someplace so you have a good replacement when the old one kicks it.
Moving Sale

Post by Moving Sale »

schmick wrote:Traveled north and surfed all weekend. Air temp was in the high 70s and low 80s in Pismo but water tem was in the low 60s so there was some shrinkage
You surfed Pismo? Dude hit me up and I will get you into all of the good locals spots.
Jerkovich
Please pay attention to Me

Post by Jerkovich »

Moving Sale wrote:
schmick wrote:Traveled north and surfed all weekend. Air temp was in the high 70s and low 80s in Pismo but water tem was in the low 60s so there was some shrinkage
You surfed Pismo? Dude hit me up and I will get you into all of the good locals spots.

Uht oh, he wants to get into your good spots.
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

Rumor has it, in real life, moving fail is actually a decent dude. If he was the douche he is here, he'd be dead or locked up.
mvscal wrote:The only precious metals in a SHTF scenario are lead and brass.
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

smackaholic wrote:Looks like the OL and I picked the right week to go to Puerto Rico.
Damn.

I was hoping you'd suffer greatly, lose power and not be able to post for a week.

But it's still fun to sit at home on January 26th and watch the entire region from New Jersey to Maine get pummeled while we in flyoverville enjoy 60 degree weather.

And save it Floridians and Socals, we don't give a flying fuck about your lemon trees. Everything isn't always about you.
If CB doesn't have that shit shoveled when I get home Wednesday night, he'll never block a cock again.
ok, that was pretty good. :lol:
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

War Wagon wrote:

But it's still fun to sit at home on January 26th and watch the entire region from New Jersey to Maine get pummeled while we in flyoverville enjoy 60 degree weather.

And save it Floridians and Socals, we don't give a flying fuck about your lemon trees. Everything isn't always about you.
Looks like you're getting our drought now. Can't you a-holes come up with anything original that didn't happen here first?

Keep celebrating that nice weather until you run out of water.
Moving Sale

Post by Moving Sale »

schmick wrote:
One of my cousins and her boyfriend live at the end of Park so we just hit up the beach in front of their place. My Aunt and Uncle live in Orcutt and my parents have a couple rentals there in Orcutt, I have a rental in Oceano so I had to check on the properties a bit and then only surfed a couple hours while my GF and cousin checked out the shops and had some chowder.
Oceano? Please tell me it's on the beach (read:correct) side of the tracks.
Moving Sale

Post by Moving Sale »

Mikey wrote:
They could always theive it from someone. :mrgreen:
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Post by MgoBlue-LightSpecial »

Moving Sale wrote:Oceano? Please tell me it's on the beach (read:correct) side of the tracks.
Racist.
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

Mikey wrote:Looks like you're getting our drought now. Can't you a-holes come up with anything original that didn't happen here first?

Well now, I don't see the Mighty Mo. running dry anytime soon, but you do have a point.

Kansas is talking shit about building a pipeline to tap the river and pump it 3 to 4 hundred miles west (all uphill, of course) to irrigate their western desert since they've damn near drained the Ogalla aquifer.

Fuck Kansas. The only water they can have from Missouri should be pumped, untreated, straight from the KCMO sewage facilities. It's a straight shot to Lawrence.
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

I'm watching video of garbage trucks in downtown Manhattan strapping snow blades on to plow the streets. Maybe this is common elsewhere?

Here, garbage trucks haul garbage. We even have other trucks to haul off recyclables. None of these trucks must needs plow snow. We have other trucks specifically designed to plow snow. Why, they can even spread salt at the same time!
Moving Sale

Post by Moving Sale »

I lived in that part of Oceano for awhile. Sounds like we were neighbors. Beautiful area. Had to sweep the front porch twice a day though, it being in a sand dune and all.
Client of mine is connected to hitching post. I ran up a 400$ bill last time I was there and only had to leave a tip. Good times.
Moving Sale

Post by Moving Sale »

Not even you could visit once a month and it would take all year before I started to run dry of great places to send you, but those are pretty good choices.
trev
New Sheriff in Town

Post by trev »

Easily a year. We are going to hit up SLO soon. We usually stay in Pismo Beach. I miss me some SLO DO CO, Firestone Grill, Apple Farm. Haven't gotten to Jocko's yet, but it's on the wish list. Why oh why does beef taste so much better up there? Happy cows. And seafood? There is this store in Morro Bay that has the best. The place literally does not smell fishy. Everything is that fresh. If I lived up there, I would go there daily for my catch for dinner.
Moving Sale

Post by Moving Sale »

Sorry trev, you missed Jocko's glory days. They don't age their meat the same way. Much better steak houses up here.

The hitching post is in a class by itself and you can hit the one in Buellton if Casmalia is too far away.

In SLO, Luna Red is tops. Novo is great. Side Car, Buena Tavola, Giussepies, the list goes on and on.
Templeton has McPhees. Cambria has Robin's. Cayucos/Ruddell's. Santa Margarita has a new place called the Range. The second best steak house up this way. Paso is littered with great places as is Morro Bay. Same goes for Pismo and Avila.

As ofailurecal once said: The central coast is the sweet vagina of planet earth.
Goober McTuber
World Renowned Last Word Whore

Post by Goober McTuber »

Moving Sale wrote:The central coast is the sweet vagina of planet earth.
Joe in PB wrote: Yeah I'm the dumbass
schmick, speaking about Larry Nassar's pubescent and prepubescent victims wrote: They couldn't even kick that doctors ass

Seems they rather just lay there, get fucked and play victim
Wolfman
Dumpater Artist

Post by Wolfman »

Another case of damned you do -- damned you don't.
Sin,
Hurricane Katrina
"It''s not dark yet--but it's getting there". -- Bob Dylan

Carbon Dating, the number one dating app for senior citizens.

"Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teaches my hands to the war, and my fingers to fight."
Moving Sale

Post by Moving Sale »

Goober McTuber wrote:
Moving Sale wrote:The central coast is the sweet vagina of planet earth.
Do tell
Goober McTuber
World Renowned Last Word Whore

Post by Goober McTuber »

Approximate distance between a vagina and an asshole. Moron.
Joe in PB wrote: Yeah I'm the dumbass
schmick, speaking about Larry Nassar's pubescent and prepubescent victims wrote: They couldn't even kick that doctors ass

Seems they rather just lay there, get fucked and play victim
Moving Sale

Post by Moving Sale »

So you just type stuff no matter if it makes sense or not. No wonder I rarely read your posts.
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

Sudden Sam wrote:Once again, an overhyped storm.
Depends on where you are and who you ask.
Residents of Barnstable on Cape Cod, for instance, had drifts of up to 3 feet and whiteout conditions, said police Sgt. Mark Cabral. At 11:10 a.m. Tuesday, the National Weather Service reported that Framingham, Massachusetts, had 30 inches of snow, with more than 18 inches having fallen about 20 miles east in Boston.

It's not just Massachusetts, with nearly 16 inches reported in Portland, Maine; over 21 inches in Hudson, New Hampshire; and 28.5 inches in Orient on New York's Long Island.
Not much in the way of hype there.