It's the 17th Anniversary for T1B - Fuckin' A

Moderator: Jesus H Christ

poptart
Quitty McQuitface

Michiganders, check in

Post by poptart »

That's a werd, isn't it?

Have a good weekend!

It's easy to get a driver's license up there, eh?

Eh?
matteric
Elwood

Re: Michiganders, check in

Post by matteric »

Easy.

The mods are a tad sensitive when you call them out by region.

Region, pussies.

But, I must admit... those fucking hillbillies, can't drive.
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Post by MgoBlue-LightSpecial »

There were white out conditions yesterday. That's how pile ups happen. You're putzing along and you can't see more than a few feet in front of you. Next thing you know you see a host of red brake lights but there isn't enough distance to safely come to a complete stop due to the compacted snow and ice. Bam, domino effect. Not much you can do to avoid that except not drive on the expressway. Toodles wouldn't last two minutes in his little Prius without getting into an accident or shitting his pants. I'd take the under on both.
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

MgoBlue-LightSpecial wrote:There were white out conditions yesterday. That's how pile ups happen. You're putzing along and you can't see more than a few feet in front of you. Next thing you know you see a host of red brake lights but there isn't enough distance to safely come to a complete stop due to the compacted snow and ice. Bam, domino effect. Not much you can do to avoid that except not drive on the expressway. Toodles wouldn't last two minutes in his little Prius without getting into an accident or shitting his pants. I'd take the under on both.
Mgo is correct but he also forgot assholes are driving way too fast, which is not uniqur to any region.
kcdave wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 8:05 am
I was actually going to to join in the best bets activity here at good ole T1B...The guy that runs that contest is a fucking prick
Derron wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 3:07 pm
You are truly one of the worst pieces of shit to ever post on this board. Start giving up your paycheck for reparations now and then you can shut the fuck up about your racist blasts.
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

It's amazing that only 1 person was killed.
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Screw_Michigan wrote:Mgo is correct but he also forgot assholes are driving way too fast, which is not uniqur to any region.
In the situation I described it doesn't really matter how fast you're going. If a parking lot of cars suddenly appears in front of you out of nowhere you're pretty much toast. But yes, otherwise there are lots of assholes who think they're invincible just because they have 4-wheel.
Dr_Phibes
P.H.D - M.B.E. - O.B.E.

Post by Dr_Phibes »

Nasty region, the 401 coming out of Windsor is the 'highway of death'. One minute everything's fine, then you're blind. You can't get off the road because you don't know where the road is, nasty feeling :shock:
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

That's on my usual morning route to work and thankfully I chose not to drive down to work on Friday. That occurred right around the time I'd go through there. It helps to have a job where I can work from home if necessary. 3 hours of commuting on those roads usually means a home office day.
Diego in Seattle
Rouser Of Rabble

Post by Diego in Seattle »

matteric wrote:But, I must admit... those fucking hillbillies, can't drive.
I'd say that they drive just as well as you Californians do in a Tule fog. :hfal:
“Left Seater” wrote:So charges are around the corner?
9/27/22
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

Dr_Phibes wrote:Nasty region, the 401 coming out of Windsor is the 'highway of death'. One minute everything's fine, then you're blind. You can't get off the road because you don't know where the road is, nasty feeling :shock:
196 along the Lake Michigan shoreline is very similar.
I was actually going to to join in the best bets activity here at good ole T1B...The guy that runs that contest is a fucking prick
You are truly one of the worst pieces of shit to ever post on this board. Start giving up your paycheck for reparations now and then you can shut the fuck up about your racist blasts.
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

MgoBlue-LightSpecial wrote:In the situation I described it doesn't really matter how fast you're going.
The real problem is that you have some idiots driving way too fast for the conditions and then yet others too slow, especially on a 3-lane or bigger Interstate.

Was driving home last Saturday night around midnight on I-70 in an almost blizzard after a poker game at a friends house in Grain Valley, about 25 miles east of downtown KC. As you get closer to the city the road goes from 2 to 5 lanes with plenty of entrance and exit ramps and merge lanes that end.

There were fuckheads driving in the left lane at 75 mph and then cutting over into the center lane if somebody had the audacity to be in the left lane doing 70. Then you have the paranoid fucks doing 40 in the right lanes. It's a clusterfuck and a disaster waiting to happen.

Made it home w/o incident but it was white knuckle all the way, especially with the wife acting like she had a steering wheel and brake pedal on the passenger side.
Mikey
Carbon Neutral since 1955

Post by Mikey »

Michiganders are only the men.

The women are Michigeese.
Bucmonkey
2011 CFB Bowl Pic Champ

Post by Bucmonkey »

What the motherfuck?
Go Bucs, Gators
trev
New Sheriff in Town

Post by trev »

As long as Mgo is still alive all is right with the world.
Dr_Phibes
P.H.D - M.B.E. - O.B.E.

Post by Dr_Phibes »

Screw_Michigan wrote: 196 along the Lake Michigan shoreline is very similar.
Yeah, probably every highway that hugs any of the Lakes. Only been in one once near Cornwall and it only lasted five minutes, never been more terrified. There's nothing you can do and anything you do is the wrong thing to do.
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

Papa Willie wrote:I thought you cats knew how to drive in shit like that? :lol:

Most of us do know how to drive in the winter. It's when you have other dummies on the road that cause the problems. Also, some people want to be tough guys and drive in horrid weather so it's a risk to slide off the road or get caught in a pileup. If you live in the area long enough, you experience some kind of an incident. I've had a couple slideoffs in my time.

With I-94, it's a big shipping route between Detroit through Indiana to Chicago and up to Milwaukee...a lot of truck traffic. No surprise that almost half the vehicles involved were semis. That stretch of road has a lot of accidents with cars and trucks throughout the year...not just the winter. Usually eastbound has the most backups.
matteric
Elwood

Post by matteric »

Why ?

Can someone answer this for me ?

Why ?
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Cause was most likely a southern truck driver.
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

I have no idea what caused the pile up to begin with, but it's doubtful it was due to trucker, regardless of where he was from. Those are the best drivers on the road, period.
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Papa Willie wrote:I just remember this time last year when all the northern folks gave ATL so much shit. Black ice doesn't work for anybody. Besides - 60% of ATL is from the north. :hfal:
Ice sucks. Now, try driving on ice with a blindfold on. It doesn't matter how skilled of a driver you are if you can't see the road or other cars.

You'll have to trust me on this one. You guys don't know what a white-out is unless it involves a Klan rally.
Left Seater
36,000 ft above the chaos

Post by Left Seater »

Mgo,

I don't disagree with anything you are saying, but the clips I saw on the news here in NM all involve far far too much speed.

Folks were going 40+ and there was no way they could stop based on the visability. You can only go as fast as the visability allows. In other words if you can only see 50 feet, you can only go as fast as your car can stop in 50 feet, in those conditions.

Most were going 4 or 5 times faster than they should have been.
Moving Sale wrote:I really are a fucking POS.
Softball Bat wrote: I am the dumbest motherfucker ever to post on the board.
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

The problem is, you can be driving at a speed that seems appropriate for the conditions, but then out of nowhere, start getting belted with white-out snow. It all happens in a matter of seconds and that's how pile ups occur. Phibes understands. But please continue, I really value a southerner's insight on driving in lake effect snow.

Like I said, they should not have been on the expressway to begin with. I had to drive to Muskegon that day (about 40 miles) and took back roads. It was slow going but much safer.

Friday's conditions were exceptionally bad, even for Michigan. Shit can and will happen.
Left Seater

Post by Left Seater »

MgoBlue-LightSpecial wrote:The problem is, you can be driving at a speed that seems appropriate for the conditions, but then out of nowhere, start getting belted with white-out snow.
So start pumping the brakes as soon as it changes.

[quote="MgoBlue-LightSpecial"But please continue, I really value a southerner's insight on driving in lake effect snow. [/quote]

:meds:

As if only certain regions know how to drive in snow.

Never mind I lived outside Boston, Philly, and DC previously. Nor the fact I drive in the snow yearly for work and on vacation.
Left Seater

Post by Left Seater »

MgoBlue-LightSpecial wrote:The problem is, you can be driving at a speed that seems appropriate for the conditions, but then out of nowhere, start getting belted with white-out snow.
So start pumping the brakes as soon as it changes.
MgoBlue-LightSpecial wrote:But please continue, I really value a southerner's insight on driving in lake effect snow.
:meds:

As if only certain regions know how to drive in snow.

Never mind I lived outside Boston, Philly, and DC previously. Nor the fact I drive in the snow yearly for work and on vacation.
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Left Seater wrote:So start pumping the brakes as soon as it changes.
You think people don't brake? :lol:

That doesn't prevent you from hitting cars you can't see.
Lulz. I'm not talking a run of the mill snow day here. You've never driven in anything like that.
Atomic Punk
antagonist

Post by Atomic Punk »

matteric wrote:Why ?

Can someone answer this for me ?

Why ?
Many have already replied and gave you an answer... even the tards like Pedo about Tule fog. You being in a special category of tardism doesn't surprise me that you have to ask.

People that drive too fast in bad weather are idiots. Now, since you are an idiot and a shitbag, you will never comprehend the reasons previously stated by MGbl0w, screwball and the others.

As far as the Tule fog you are at the mercy of the idiots on the same road at the same time. If you can't see in front of you then you slow down. Doesn't matter if it's a snow white out of Tule fog, etc.

You're welcome for the simple explanation you fucking piece of shit.
BSmack wrote:Best. AP take. Ever.

Seriously. I don't disagree with a word of it.
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

I don't know how they handle blizzard conditions in Michigan but in many states they close the Interstates down for long stretches to avoid pileups like that one.
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

MgoBlue-LightSpecial wrote:
Cause was most likely a southern truck driver.

The one fatality was a French-Canadian truck driver...that couldn't have been his first rodeo.
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

War Wagon wrote:I don't know how they handle blizzard conditions in Michigan but in many states they close the Interstates down for long stretches to avoid pileups like that one.

That's a major artery as I mentioned but it's only two lanes so any sorta multi-car wreck will bring traffic to a crawl.
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

major artery or not, can they not close the road? From the looks of those conditions they certainly should've and the result speaks for itself.
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

War Wagon wrote:major artery or not, can they not close the road? From the looks of those conditions they certainly should've and the result speaks for itself.
In Michigan they rarely shut the interstates down. They will shut down US 131 between GR and Kzoo due to drifts (and because it has a fraction of the traffic of 94), but I have never heard of them shutting down 94.

I'm also going to disagree with Mgo about the speed factor. Quite simply, these incidents can be avoided if people simply SLOW DOWN. The problem is people don't want to drive as slow as 25 mph, which I have done in whiteout conditions. It took me 3.5 hours to go from GR to South Bend one year and I went 25 mph the whole way. Took me forever and I was white knuckled most of the way. But I made it.
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

A whole bunch of tough talkers in here who think driving through the devil's icy gauntlet is as simple as mathematics.

If only you knew.

trev, let's go on a road trip. I'll protect you through the elements.
Dr_Phibes
P.H.D - M.B.E. - O.B.E.

Post by Dr_Phibes »

There's no way to predict lake effect, it's spontaneous. In the blizzard of '77, Buffalo got 13 inches of snowfall and 13 feet on the ground. Ontario never closes highways that I'm aware of and Buffalo and Erie County close them only when the situation is untenable.

Pump the brakes? Then you're a sitting duck. Everyone in the Michigan pileup was safely doing zero when they got hit. And usually, momentum is the only way to keep going, stop your vehicle and you won't get traction when you want to leave.

There's no way to control the situation, you're completely out of control and nothing you do is right, obsessive MacGyver you may be.
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

Dr_Phibes wrote:Ontario never closes highways
You speak of lake effect, I would point to Darwin effect.

Drive across Kansas on I-70. Every entrance ramp west of Topeka has gates they will close when a blizzard is forecast. I'm sure it's the same north on I-80 in Nebraska or Iowa and elsewhere northwards.

Just stay off the damn road, how difficult is that? People in flyoverville have this figured out, how do others not?
Dr_Phibes
P.H.D - M.B.E. - O.B.E.

Post by Dr_Phibes »

But that's the thing, people know enough to stay home when they know it's coming so there are no incidents. Lake effect snow just happens and you get trapped and fill your pants :grin:
Dr_Phibes
P.H.D - M.B.E. - O.B.E.

Post by Dr_Phibes »

Papa Willie wrote: The main thing is just stay the fuck away from people...

*This includes well rehearsed Canadians as well...
Deadly! You've but how to say this is accomplished when you can't see and you've solved the problems of the north!
Goober McTuber
World Renowned Last Word Whore

Post by Goober McTuber »

War Wagon wrote:I have no idea what caused the pile up to begin with, but it's doubtful it was due to trucker, regardless of where he was from. Those are the best drivers on the road, period.
That used to be true. Now, they're some of the worst. I can't tell you how many times I've been in the left lane overtaking a semi, and at the last minute the semi cuts in front of me to slowly pass another vehicle. They'll often do it going up a hill where they know they're going to slow down, and it takes several minutes for them to crest the hill, gather enough speed to pass the other vehicle, and then get over to the right lane.

Fuck the truckers.
Joe in PB wrote: Yeah I'm the dumbass
schmick, speaking about Larry Nassar's pubescent and prepubescent victims wrote: They couldn't even kick that doctors ass

Seems they rather just lay there, get fucked and play victim
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Goober McTuber wrote:They'll often do it going up a hill
Where did you find a hill?

A friend of mine was a long-haul trucker. According to him, somewhere between 80-85% of all truck driver have no business driving a truck.

Drove over the Santiam Pass a few years ago with a friend for work. Extremely twisty road over the top. Complete freaking whiteout. Couldn't see 10 feet. And oddly enough, we never cracked about 10MPH. Neither did any of the other vehicles on the highway. Ain't fucking rocket surgery.
I got 99 problems but the 'vid ain't one
mvscal
Blank

Post by mvscal »

Dinsdale wrote:A friend of mine was a long-haul trucker. According to him, somewhere between 80-85% of all truck driver have no business driving a truck.
I'm not a trucker but we employ them. I'll second that. If you have two hands, two feet and can make your mark on a piece of paper, you can get a CDL.
Screw_Michigan wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:39 pmUnlike you tards, I actually have functioning tastebuds and a refined pallet.
BSmack
2005 and 2010 JFFL Champion

Post by BSmack »

Dinsdale wrote:A friend of mine was a long-haul trucker. According to him, somewhere between 80-85% of all truck driver have no business driving a truck.
You're welcome

~J.B. Hunt
"Once upon a time, dinosaurs didn't have families. They lived in the woods and ate their children. It was a golden age."

—Earl Sinclair

"I do have respect for authority even though I throw jelly dicks at them.

- Antonio Brown