Houston PET

It's the 19th Anniversary for T1B - Fuckin' A

Moderator: Jesus H Christ

Mikey
Carbon Neutral since 1955

Houston PET

Post by Mikey »

Started a new job this week and have been in Texas for training since Monday. Dallas for one day and then down here to Houston - actually I'm in Webster, which is sort of southeast of Houston.

Unfortunately I haven't found anything yet worth taking a picture of, so there's really no PET at this point. What I've learned about the area is that it's flat, it smells bad, the water tastes like crap and it's hotter than shit. But at least they have Rick Perry.

I'll be heading down to Brazosport tomorrow. Maybe I'll get a chance to see some brown water.
Carson
2012 CFB Pickem Champ

Re: Houston PET

Post by Carson »

Mikey wrote:I haven't found anything yet worth taking a picture of, so there's really no PET at this point.
Don't get your hopes up.
poptart
Quitty McQuitface

Post by poptart »

Mikey wrote:it's hotter than shit
Yes.

I've told people before about how incredibly oppressive the summers are in Houston -- and they last for about 6 months, but I don't think anyone really appreciates it unless they actually feel it.
Go walk outside for 10 minutes at 8:00 in the morning and you already feel like your nuts are ready to fall off.

I almost can't believe I ran around out on the tennis courts for 7 or 8 hours a day in that horrendous pit.
Yep, I was fit as a fiddle -- and drinking about 23 gallons of water a day.

If you want to train yourself for hell, go spend a summer in H-town.
Left Seater
36,000 ft above the chaos

Post by Left Seater »

For sure the water will be brown there. The Brazos river meets the gulf there and carries tons of fertile soil into the Gulf.

Houston isn't anything special, plus it is full of folks who just got here. The summer isn't all that hot, as it is usually mid 90s, but the humidity is usually in the 80% range or higher which makes it so uncomfortable.

If you get any free time or get to come back, head to Central Texas and start at Lake LBJ and work west.
Moving Sale wrote:I really are a fucking POS.
Softball Bat wrote: I am the dumbest motherfucker ever to post on the board.
Y2K
Internet Overlord

Post by Y2K »

Don't try and explain it to Mikey. He lives in San Diego and gets to go home.

Hey Mikey!

Kiss my ass.
/s/ the rest of us except Trev
poptart
Quitty McQuitface

Post by poptart »

LS wrote:The summer isn't all that hot, as it is usually mid 90s
That's not all that hot?

The overall average high temperature in America in the summer months of July and August is 85.

http://www.weatherbase.com/weather/state.php3?c=US
missjo
I'm a Fucking Princess

Post by missjo »

I clicked for the pretty pictures & there are none
You Suck
Pic Tease! :evil:
You just can't fix stupid...trust me I've tried
Go Coogs'
Eternal Scobode

Post by Go Coogs' »

Webster is a shithole. Actually, there isn't much that is aesthetically pleasing about the Houston area except maybe parts of Memorial Drive on the bayou and The Woodlands.

The food and the people are awesome. The public transportation infrastructure is improving and Forbes claims Houston is going to be the next great global city. It's phenomenal what's going on down here with all the new ethane crackers and derivative units being built because of cheap natural gas (methane). All the chemical plants are pretty much doubling in size.
88 wrote:Go Coogs' (Regular Season Total Points Champ)
poptart
Quitty McQuitface

Post by poptart »

Go C'o'og's' wrote:The food and the people are awesome.
Viewing all the unabashed lard-@sses waddling around town, yeah, it's hard to argue that the eats are good.

People are awesome?

That depends.

A large portion of the H-town population is... undesirable.
mvscal
Blank

Post by mvscal »

Mikey wrote:Unfortunately I haven't found anything yet worth taking a picture of,
You won't. It's a shithole.
Screw_Michigan wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:39 pmUnlike you tards, I actually have functioning tastebuds and a refined pallet.
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Post by MgoBlue-LightSpecial »

poptart wrote:A large portion of the H-town population is... undesirable.
Tart, free yourself of all the hate, and love thy neighbor.
Go Coogs'
Eternal Scobode

Post by Go Coogs' »

MgoBlue-LightSpecial wrote:
poptart wrote:A large portion of the H-town population is... undesirable.
Tart, free yourself of all the hate, and love thy neighbor.
Yeah, no shit.

'tart, for someone being so well versed in the bible, you truly are missing the underlying message its sending. Try reading the story of Zacchaeus again.

The people ARE awesome down here.
88 wrote:Go Coogs' (Regular Season Total Points Champ)
mvscal
Blank

Post by mvscal »

Go Coogs' wrote:The people ARE awesome down here.
Sure, if you like assholes. Sorry, dude. Houston blows goats.
Screw_Michigan wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:39 pmUnlike you tards, I actually have functioning tastebuds and a refined pallet.
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

People. They're the worst.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Yeah... my town used to be known as the nicest, kindest, most polite, friendliest city in the country....

so everybody and their brother moved here.

It's not quite as friendly anymore.

The City of Misfit Toys sure attracted some a-holes.

But at least we can throw down a hell of a PET.
I got 99 problems but the 'vid ain't one
Mikey
Carbon Neutral since 1955

Post by Mikey »

Went for a four mile walk at dusk last night when it was cool enough to survive outside. The drivers here don't stop slow down for somebody in a cross-walk. I could have gotten killed if I wasn't sort of expecting that.
Left Seater
36,000 ft above the chaos

Post by Left Seater »

Congrats on the new job.
Moving Sale wrote:I really are a fucking POS.
Softball Bat wrote: I am the dumbest motherfucker ever to post on the board.
trev
New Sheriff in Town

Post by trev »

I've got the doors/windows open here with a wonderful blue sky and late afternoon 70's breeze coming in.

Palm tree's swaying, white children laughing, it's lovely.
poptart
Quitty McQuitface

Post by poptart »

Rumps wrote:'tart, for someone being so well versed in the bible, you truly are missing the underlying message its sending. Try reading the story of Zacchaeus again.

The people ARE awesome down here.
You're right.
The Gospel is necessary for all people -- and I want all people to hear it.

It doesn't mean the people are... awesome.

I visited H-town a few years ago and booked a motel for a few nights.
I remembered it as a nice motel in a nice area.

The first night I was there, the large glass window in the room couple of doors down from me was busted out.

I almost got jumped one day walking in the motel parking lot.
All of a sudden two "awesome" people came running for me.
I slipped around a corner quickly -- and have no idea what the deal was.

I learned that the motel was housing some the "awesome" Nawlins transplants Buttsy asked about.

There are many neighborhoods in H-town that used to be comfortable, safe, and habitable -- but now are totally overrun by... undesirables.

And not to mention, large areas of Harris County have always been a dump.

There are good people in H-town, yes.
There are also a lot of people who are fugged up and/or dangerous.
The Seer
Just the Facts

Post by The Seer »

Mikey wrote:Went for a four mile walk at dusk last night when it was cool enough to survive outside.
You should be sporting mosquito bites on your mosquito bites.
E UNUM PLURIBUS
BSmack
2005 and 2010 JFFL Champion

Post by BSmack »

I was in College Station once. I was doing in store installations in what used to be Ritz Camera. The camera store geek asked me where else in Texas I had been. I said Austin and San Antonio. He asked if I saw the Alamo. I said I did. He asked what I thought of it. I told him I was surprised how small it was. His reply, "I guess you don't like Texas much."

Is Houston friendlier than that?
"Once upon a time, dinosaurs didn't have families. They lived in the woods and ate their children. It was a golden age."

—Earl Sinclair

"I do have respect for authority even though I throw jelly dicks at them.

- Antonio Brown
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

BSmack wrote:
I was in College Station once. I was doing in store installations in what used to be Ritz Camera. The camera store geek asked me where else in Texas I had been. I said Austin and San Antonio. He asked if I saw the Alamo. I said I did. He asked what I thought of it. I told him I was surprised how small it was. His reply, "I guess you don't like Texas much."

So you were curt and dismissive, and expected him to reply back with Mr. Nice Guy? LOL.
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

Mikey wrote:What I've learned about the area is that it's flat, it smells bad, the water tastes like crap and it's hotter than shit. But at least they have Rick Perry.
That's what being open for fucking business looks, smells and feels like, Michael.
kcdave wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 8:05 am
I was actually going to to join in the best bets activity here at good ole T1B...The guy that runs that contest is a fucking prick
Derron wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 3:07 pm
You are truly one of the worst pieces of shit to ever post on this board. Start giving up your paycheck for reparations now and then you can shut the fuck up about your racist blasts.
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

Papa Willie wrote: Streets are for cars, not street walkers.
At least you're fat enough where you'd not only survive a pedestrian-vehicle collision but you'd kill the driver with your girth.
I was actually going to to join in the best bets activity here at good ole T1B...The guy that runs that contest is a fucking prick
You are truly one of the worst pieces of shit to ever post on this board. Start giving up your paycheck for reparations now and then you can shut the fuck up about your racist blasts.
BSmack

Post by BSmack »

MgoBlue-LightSpecial wrote:
BSmack wrote: I was in College Station once. I was doing in store installations in what used to be Ritz Camera. The camera store geek asked me where else in Texas I had been. I said Austin and San Antonio. He asked if I saw the Alamo. I said I did. He asked what I thought of it. I told him I was surprised how small it was. His reply, "I guess you don't like Texas much."

So you were curt and dismissive, and expected him to reply back with Mr. Nice Guy? LOL.
Curt and dismissive? I gave him my honest opinion. It wasn't like I said that the place sucked. I just figured the place would have been somewhat bigger. He took that as an affront to Texas itself. That is fucking grade A stupid. If someone told me Niagara Falls wasn't what they expected, that they thought they would be bigger,I'd let the shit roll.
"Once upon a time, dinosaurs didn't have families. They lived in the woods and ate their children. It was a golden age."

—Earl Sinclair

- Antonio Brown
Wolfman
Dumpater Artist

Post by Wolfman »

The small size of the Alamo (it was a mission, right?) attests to the courage of the defenders. They were outnumbered like 10:1 and held out as long as they did. In my tourist playing, one thing I expected to be larger was Graceland. Elvis held out there for quite a few years. 8)
"It''s not dark yet--but it's getting there". -- Bob Dylan

Carbon Dating, the number one dating app for senior citizens.

"Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teaches my hands to the war, and my fingers to fight."
BSmack

Post by BSmack »

Wolfman wrote:The small size of the Alamo (it was a mission, right?) attests to the courage of the defenders. They were outnumbered like 10:1 and held out as long as they did.

No doubt they were brave, suicidaly so. If I was a Texan, I'm sure I would have spent a lot more time reading about Travis, Crockett, Bowie et all. Just as growing up in WNY, I went to town on the Clinton Sullivan Expedition, Saratoga and Oriskany.
In my tourist playing, one thing I expected to be larger was Graceland. Elvis held out there for quite a few years. 8)
That is a shock. I would figured Elvis would have given his crib the super size treatment. Then again, he did grow up in a shack.

—Earl Sinclair

- Antonio Brown
Wolfman
Dumpater Artist

Post by Wolfman »

Don't get me wrong. Graceland is a decent enough sized spread and the main house (building) is large enough with quite a few rooms. It's just that I was expecting larger rooms on a say "Tara" scale. It was amusing to see the bullet holes in a wall where he shot a pistol inside once. When he bought it the place was in the sticks outside of Memphis. It is now in a crowded commercial area.

The Alamo of course is smack in San Antonio close to the Riverwalk. Here is the person rumored to be the only survivor of the battle. A volunteer from central NY.

"It''s not dark yet--but it's getting there". -- Bob Dylan

Carbon Dating, the number one dating app for senior citizens.

"Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teaches my hands to the war, and my fingers to fight."
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

John Stockton thinks your shorts are too short.
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

by commercial area, you mean ghetto, right? Don't know about now, but, back in the mid 80s, graceland was in one of the shittier parts of memphis. And that is saying something.
mvscal wrote:The only precious metals in a SHTF scenario are lead and brass.
mvscal
Blank

Post by mvscal »

BSmack wrote:Curt and dismissive? I gave him my honest opinion. It wasn't like I said that the place sucked. I just figured the place would have been somewhat bigger.
Actually, yours is a pretty common reaction. I wouldn't let one douchebucket throw you off. San Antonio and Austin are pretty cool places to visit. All of central Texas Hill country is worth visiting. It is the epicenter of BBQ brisket on planet earth.

Houston is essentially the large colon of Texas.
poptart
Quitty McQuitface

Post by poptart »

mvscal wrote:All of central Texas Hill country is worth visiting.
Definitely.

Beautiful, and it is absent the massive riff raff which plagues Houston.

But you'll sweat your nuts off in Hill Country if it you visit it in the summer.
BSmack

Post by BSmack »

mvscal wrote:Actually, yours is a pretty common reaction. I wouldn't let one douchebucket throw you off. San Antonio and Austin are pretty cool places to visit. All of central Texas Hill country is worth visiting. It is the epicenter of BBQ brisket on planet earth.
I really wish I hadn't been working 8-10 hours a day while I was in Hill Country. Particularly when I was in Austin.
Houston is essentially the large colon of Texas.
Hard to argue with that.

—Earl Sinclair

- Antonio Brown
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

mvscal wrote:Houston is essentially the large colon of Texas.
While Beaumont, about 45 minutes east, is a polyp. And don't even talk to me about Texas BBQ or brisket, they haven't a clue. You might be able to get a good taco there...

San Antonio is awesome, though. Not for the Alamo as it was a bit disappointing but the river walk was amazing. At least it was in 1980 when we got a day pass from Lackland AFB and basic training. I'm sure it's probably even better now.
mvscal
Blank

Post by mvscal »

War Wagon wrote: And don't even talk to me about Texas BBQ or brisket, they haven't a clue. You might be able to get a good taco there...
You have uttered an astonishing number of stupid things over the years, but this one might your masterpiece.

Stunning ignorance is gracefully intertwined with bovine stupidity and beautifully accented by brainlessly narrow-minded provincialism. A truly remarkable example of KC imbecility.
Carson
2012 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by Carson »

I thought he was referring to brisket in Beaumont.

That's not hill country, that's coonass country.

They smoke opossum, not beef.
poptart
Quitty McQuitface

Post by poptart »

Stunning ignorance is gracefully
intertwined with bovine stupidity
and beautifully accented by brainlessly
narrow-minded provincialism.

War Wagon posts are the toy department
of life.
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

mvscal wrote: Stunning ignorance is gracefully intertwined with bovine stupidity and beautifully accented by brainlessly narrow-minded provincialism. A truly remarkable example of KC imbecility.
Oh now you did it. Like that little boy kicking the McDonald's woman punching his mom in the face, Duhhron will be by any time now to run some IKYABWAI smack.
mvscal
Blank

Post by mvscal »

Carson wrote:I thought he was referring to brisket in Beaumont.

That's not hill country, that's coonass country.

They smoke opossum, not beef.
Well, he said Texas not Beaumont.
Ace
Elwood

Post by Ace »

mvscal wrote:
Sure, if you like assholes. Sorry, dude. Houston blows goats.
This x100000