Tonight's the Night

RIP scritti.

Moderator: scritti

Felix
2012 JAFFL Champ

Tonight's the Night

Post by Felix »

no this isn't a thread about rod stewart.....it's a thread about a concert I've been looking forward to for a long time....

guitar virtuoso extraordinaire Joe Bonamossa plays tonight at a venue called the Morrison Center for Performing arts....the place was designed for acoustic perfection and it's seldom that you get the opportunity to see musicians in this setting because of the size (2,000+-seats)......

I'm a huge Bonamossa fan since being turned on to his music about 2 or 3 years ago.....probably one of the best all around guitar players on the planet right now.....tickets were kind of spendy, but what the fuck you only live once right?

looking forward to this.....
get out, get out while there's still time
BSmack
2005 and 2010 JFFL Champion

Re: Tonight's the Night

Post by BSmack »

I thought this was a Neil Young thread.

"Once upon a time, dinosaurs didn't have families. They lived in the woods and ate their children. It was a golden age."

—Earl Sinclair

"I do have respect for authority even though I throw jelly dicks at them.

- Antonio Brown
Shlomart Ben Yisrael
Insha'Allah

Post by Shlomart Ben Yisrael »

BSmack wrote:I thought this was a Neil Young thread.
Sudden Sam was a boring man
He used to load up T1B with spam.
A sparkle was in his eye
But his life was remarkably bland.

:|
rock rock to the planet rock ... don't stop
Felix wrote:you've become very bitter since you became jewish......
Kierland drop-kicking Wolftard wrote: Aren’t you part of the silent generation?
Why don’t you just STFU.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Bonomassa is in incredible talent that plays boring, tired, rehashed music. Not an ounce of originality.

Just mailing in his career.
I got 99 problems but the 'vid ain't one
BSmack

Post by BSmack »

Joe did an album with Beth Hart that was brilliant, but otherwise I have to agree with Dins. He's a technical genius with not much soul.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk 2
"Once upon a time, dinosaurs didn't have families. They lived in the woods and ate their children. It was a golden age."

—Earl Sinclair

- Antonio Brown
Felix
2012 JAFFL Champ

Post by Felix »

BSmack wrote:Jotherwise I have to agree with Dins. He's a technical genius with not much soul.
uh that's not the guy I saw last night.....it was a great concert and Bonamossa is a much better singer than I thought he was.....first half of the concert was all acoustic with a variety of guitars in different tunings......DADGAD and Drop D tunings seem to be his preference on acoustics, although he snapped a sting on his DADGAD tuned Gibson about 3/4 through the second song....I noticed he also had one of his guitars tuned to what I think was an ACDEGA (pentatonic?) weird tuning, but definitely makes for some interesting riffs.....and one tuned in an open G (DGDGBD) which he did some tasty slide work on.....the guy is a genius with harmonics.....great backing musicians too......Gerry O'Connor from the Dubliners was playing banjo, mandolin, and banjo......one of the other guys played and instrument the I'd never seen or heard called a nyckelharpa....very melodic instrument

2nd half he cranked up the electrics.....two custom made Les Paul's, one standard Les Paul, a MusicMan and a Strat that he used for about 1/2 song.....yeah, he's doing a lot of stuff that's been done before but he's hardly "mailing it in".....Slow Train and Dust Bowl (both originals) were tour de force numbers.....amazing watching him play.....the thing is now I won't pick up my guitars for weeks....always happens when I see somebody really really good....
BSmack

Post by BSmack »

Nobody is denying Bonamassa's chops, but when you're jerking off over his tunings? Kinda makes my point for me.

—Earl Sinclair

- Antonio Brown
Felix
2012 JAFFL Champ

Post by Felix »

BSmack wrote:Nobody is denying Bonamassa's chops, but when you're jerking off over his tunings? Kinda makes my point for me.
who's "jerking off" over his tunings? I'm simply relaying what I knew about the acoustic set he was playing.....I've fucked around with DADGAD tuning and it's like playing a different instrument....I've always been fascinated by cats that play in alternated tunings......sorry for providing you more information than you wanted.......I guess all I'm saying is that if you haven't seen or heard any of his stuff for a while, you'd be really surprised at how much better he relates to the audience and that he's writing some great tunes.....
BSmack

Post by BSmack »

I have 3 Bonamassa albums. He's an upstate NY boy from just down the Thruway in Utica. So I was curious. Dust Bowl is good. John Henry is OK and Don't Explain (with Beth Hart) is fucking brilliant. As a solo artist he doesn't have that it thing. Now when he teamed up with Glenn Hughes for Black Country Communion, again he's brilliant.

—Earl Sinclair

- Antonio Brown
Felix
2012 JAFFL Champ

Post by Felix »

BSmack wrote:As a solo artist he doesn't have that it thing.
well I think we'll agree to disagree on that.....defintely one of the better concerts I've been to for a while, although the sound guy should have dialed the instrument amplifiers down, and the vocal amplifiers up.....his vocals were sometimes drowned out by the instrumentation......
Mikey
Carbon Neutral since 1955

Post by Mikey »

Saw Bonamassa a couple of years ago with Black Country Communion. I love his blues playing but, frankly, this show sucked. It was in a concert hall that I know has great acoustics. The volume was so loud in this show you couldn't hear a damn thing except what sounded like a 90 minute train wreck.