Curious As to How Y'all React to This Band

RIP scritti.

Moderator: scritti

War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Re: Curious As to How Y'all React to This Band

Post by War Wagon »

absolutely horrid... can't believe I made it 60 seconds into that faggot song.

the guy sings like a chick.

Let me guess, you like it.
BSmack
2005 and 2010 JFFL Champion

Post by BSmack »

The singer sounds like the woman from Alabama Shakes.

That's a good thing.
"Once upon a time, dinosaurs didn't have families. They lived in the woods and ate their children. It was a golden age."

—Earl Sinclair

"I do have respect for authority even though I throw jelly dicks at them.

- Antonio Brown
Carson
2012 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by Carson »

I thought Drew Carey was doing The Price is Right full-time.
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

BSmack wrote:The singer sounds like the woman from Alabama Shakes.

That's a good thing.
What?

To begin with, Alabama Shakes does not suck. No comparison.

Smackie Chan
Eternal Scobode

Post by Smackie Chan »

War Wagon wrote:Alabama Shakes does not suck.
Since you're such a big fan of bands who do Zep covers, thought you might like this...
"I see everything twice!"
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

In general, DC, I'm not a fan of covers, especially of Zep. But I realize that's hypocritical because LZ themselves did many covers... theirs were just better than the originals. I also realize that imitation is the sincerest form of flattery, so I've got no problem with some of them if they don't butcher it too badly

I'll see your Alabama Shakes cover and raise you one by Built To Spill. They absolutely shred here and I mean that in a good way. Do me a favor and give it more than a cursory listen.

Smackie Chan
Eternal Scobode

Post by Smackie Chan »

War Wagon wrote:I'll see your Alabama Shakes cover and raise you one by Built To Spill. They absolutely shred here and I mean that in a good way. Do me a favor and give it more than a cursory listen.
OK, I did. Best thing I can say about it is I'd rather listen to that than to any of their original material, and I have quite a bit of their stuff. They simply don't do anything for me. Not saying my taste in music is any better or worse than anyone else's, and I've certainly heard worse. But I can't find anything about BtS to get excited about.

As far as the Free Bird clip, I'll just categorize it as pedestrian - a typical bar band cover. It was a a safe choice for an encore; nothing too risky, and it catered to the audience's lowest common denominator. Can't go wrong with it for their core following, basically. My take on covers in general is to make it your own - don't just play the song word for word and note for note as the original. Spray hit it on the head in the Devo thread about their version of Satisfaction, saying it's the best cover ever. I may not totally agree with it, but I get where he's coming from. They totally made it their own in that it barely resembles the original, but it still works. A cover that comes to mind that meets my criterion for a great cover is this one:

MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Post by MgoBlue-LightSpecial »

Smackie Chan wrote:It was a a safe choice for an encore; nothing too risky, and it catered to the audience's lowest common denominator. Can't go wrong with it for their core following, basically.
I've seen BtS four times, and not once did they cover that song or any other for that matter. There's nothing about that song that would appeal to their "core audience" and I would have been agitated to see them waste 7 minutes of my night playing Freebird in lieu of original material.
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

wurd.

I just tossed it out there since the subject matter had turned to covers... I like BTS cover of Freebird way more than Alabama Shakes cover of LZ.

Both are decent, but at the same time, sacrilegious.

You've seen BTS live 4 times, you bastard?

I am one jealous, envious fuckstickle.
Smackie Chan
Eternal Scobode

Post by Smackie Chan »

MgoBlue-LightSpecial wrote:I've seen BtS four times, and not once did they cover that song or any other for that matter. There's nothing about that song that would appeal to their "core audience" and I would have been agitated to see them waste 7 minutes of my night playing Freebird in lieu of original material.
I made some assumptions based on the clip: 1) The concert from which that was taken was a typical BtS show, and 2) the audience was typical of most any of their concerts (a "core audience"). Based on those assumptions, since it didn't appear anyone was booing or seemed too upset over Free Bird being played, with lighters being waved and whatsuch, the song would be received in a most positive manner during pretty much any concert they give. This isn't terribly unusual for any rock band. Free Bird is one of those songs that connects with just about any crowd. I saw the Brian Setzer Orchestra a few months ago, and I'd venture to say that its core audience doesn't go to see them play Free Bird. But when Setzer asked the crowd for requests, guess which song was immediately blurted out. That's why I said it's a safe, risk-free choice. Pretty much can't go wrong with it as long as you don't completely fuck it up.
I wrote:Not saying my taste in music is any better than anyone else's
Well, except for Screwy's, of course.