Waning interest in college hoops

The Madness isn't confined to March here!

Moderators: the_ouskull, helmet, Shine

The Seer
Just the Facts

Waning interest in college hoops

Post by The Seer »

Some valid arguments that I borrowed from another site...

A) The economy. A night at a college game is pretty damned expensive. (At least major colleges. You can still go to a west coast game for $12 and $5 for your kids.) Throw in parking and concessions, and it is easy to spend $200 taking a couple of kids to the game.

B) Season ticket holders. Because of the huge cost in acquiring season tickets, a large portion of season ticket holders are companies and very rich folks. They just don't mind buying tickets they don't use.

C) TV is cheap and easy. No traffic. No uncomfortable seats. Almost every game is televised.

D) Competition. With the proliferation of sports networks, there is a massive amount of sports on TV. It makes every event seem less special.

E) Player turnover. With transfers and early exits, the attachment to the players is less. Who can get all the excited about one & done's when you know he will be gone at the end of the year? The pleasure of watching kids develop over 4 years is greatly reduced.

F) Cynicism. The idealist view of the student athlete is gone. The massive money in college hoops, makes it seem like everyone is for sale.

G) Same suspects every year. Honestly, how excited do you get watching Duke and Kentucky year after year at the top of the rankings.

H) Kentucky. The obscenity that is Kentucky basketball is enough to turn me off to the sport all by itself.

I) Lack of fundamentals. Kids may enjoy AAU basketball with dunks and no defense, but after a while it just looks like a pinball machine. If you love that, you can watch the NBA, where it is done by better athletes.
E UNUM PLURIBUS
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Re: Waning interest in college hoops

Post by Screw_Michigan »

J) Shitty scheduling. Major conference schools rarely play difficult opponents in legit home/road games anymore and those major conference schools won't take risks in scheduling. Take Georgetown and John Thompson's notoriously pathetic scheduling, for example. They'll play one (or two at the most) decent opponents per non-conference slate, but they'll be in New York or Maui. Then the rest of the slate is Elon, Davidson, American, Howard, Navy, etc.
kcdave wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 8:05 am
I was actually going to to join in the best bets activity here at good ole T1B...The guy that runs that contest is a fucking prick
Derron wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 3:07 pm
You are truly one of the worst pieces of shit to ever post on this board. Start giving up your paycheck for reparations now and then you can shut the fuck up about your racist blasts.
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Post by MgoBlue-LightSpecial »

The author left out my #1: game has become a 2.5 hour free-throw shooting contest. I don't want to see things I can do. I want to see things I can't do.
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

Using that logic, Shaq should be a huge college ball fan.
mvscal wrote:The only precious metals in a SHTF scenario are lead and brass.
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

MgoBlue-LightSpecial wrote:The author left out my #1: game has become a 2.5 hour free-throw shooting contest. I don't want to see things I can do. I want to see things I can't do.
good point.

with Oklahoma fan, notoriously bandwagon for hoops despite a lot of success over the last 30 years....i think actual attendance is a function of games being on TV. early start times too, they say on the OU Hoops board. fighting sprawl OKC rush hour traffic to get to Norman on a constantly under construction I-35 is pretty bad. getting in and out of the Lloyd Noble Center has always been a clusterfuck, anyway.

in the case of OU hoops, OK peeps are spending their hoops entertainment dollar on the newish and good NBA Thunder. understandable. i find attending an NBA game interesting for about 45 minutes and then there is just too much "spectacle". i don't need the extra stuff. OSU being a current top 5 team this year is really good for their program. the Thunder are king in OK....but not so good for college hoops in the state i'm afraid.
""On a lonely planet spinning its way toward damnation amid the fear and despair of a broken human race, who is left to fight for all that is good and pure and gets you smashed for under a fiver? Yes, it's the surprising adventures of me, Sir Digby Chicken-Caesar!"
"
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

King Crimson wrote:with Oklahoma fan, notoriously bandwagon for hoops despite a lot of success over the last 30 years
I'd imagine that's all the Tennesseeans attending OU who root for Vandy.
I was actually going to to join in the best bets activity here at good ole T1B...The guy that runs that contest is a fucking prick
You are truly one of the worst pieces of shit to ever post on this board. Start giving up your paycheck for reparations now and then you can shut the fuck up about your racist blasts.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

The Seer wrote:You can still go to a west coast game for $12 and $5 for your kids

Last year or the year before, me and my buddy looked into going to see University of Portland, since I was very frequently right up the street from The Bluffs (Little Notre Dame is on one fine piece of real estate), could have even walked there. $5 for GA tix? Oh HELL YEAH!!! Let's do this every week, WOOHOO! Wow, next game is the Zags!!!! WOOHOO!!!!

Except they wanted $25 for the same tix for Gonzaga.

Hey, why don't you go fuck yourselves, UP. Just because you get away with raping altar boys, doesn't mean you can do it to me.

King Crimson wrote:i find attending an NBA game interesting for about 45 minutes and then there is just too much "spectacle". i don't need the extra stuff.

I love the games themselves, but the moronic wannabe "family friendly" theme shoved down my throat, the nonstop loud, bad music, and the endless promotion ruins it for me. I'm good for 1 or 2 a year, but I have to get ridiculously liquored beforehand (take the train there), and keeping that rolling at $8 a whack is lame. Then again, plastic flasks don't set off metal detectors, or so I've heard.

I'd love to take in Ducks games, and I even have an acquaintance who lives across the street from the Matt (parking is an absolute nightmare on that part of campus, even if you're willing to pay), but Eugene is a long haul. A football game is one thing, since you make a day of it. Hoops, not so much. I suppose if I showed up with a pile of food and beer in my buddy's buddy's driveway, a tailgate would ensue (I'm freaking charismatic like that), but that's not a huge part of hoops culture.

Portland State? That would be easy-peasy for me... except if the administration and alumni don't give a shit about hoops, it's hard for me to do.
I got 99 problems but the 'vid ain't one
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

Dinsdale wrote: Last year or the year before, me and my buddy looked into going to see University of Portland, since I was very frequently right up the street from The Bluffs (Little Notre Dame is on one fine piece of real estate), could have even walked there. $5 for GA tix? Oh HELL YEAH!!! Let's do this every week, WOOHOO! Wow, next game is the Zags!!!! WOOHOO!!!!

Except they wanted $25 for the same tix for Gonzaga.

Hey, why don't you go fuck yourselves, UP.
Why do you hate the free market? Plus it rewards season ticket holders.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Screw_Michigan wrote: Why do you hate the free market?

Is it possible for you to post without prison-raping yourself?

I have no problem with the free market. In fact, I'm so in favor of it, I choose to not spend my money on policies I don't support, in order to discourage those practices. The $25 wasn't going to break my back, the principle of the matter wasn't in line with my beliefs, so I chose not to support it.

That was Example #1 of you KYOA.

Example #2 is your absolute hatred for all things Notre Dame, yet you just took up for their west campus.

Two fails in a single swoop.
I got 99 problems but the 'vid ain't one
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

As a purchaser of season tickets for a local school here, I appreciate that I can pay $150 for 15 home games and not have to pay extra for prime games.
Goober McTuber
World Renowned Last Word Whore

Post by Goober McTuber »

Screw_Michigan wrote:As a purchaser of season tickets for a local school here, I appreciate that I can pay $150 for 15 home games and not have to pay extra for prime games.
George Washington has "prime games"?
Joe in PB wrote: Yeah I'm the dumbass
schmick, speaking about Larry Nassar's pubescent and prepubescent victims wrote: They couldn't even kick that doctors ass

Seems they rather just lay there, get fucked and play victim
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

As often as Wisky's one and dones in the NCAA tournament, you god forsaken nitwit.
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

back inna day, Colorado hoops was a great bargain. 20$ got you a GA ticket, two beers and nachos. sit wherever you want. see some really good big xii teams from the late 90's/early mid 00's.....Texas with TJ Ford, Durant.....Eddie Sutton OSU teams, Final Four Kansas teams...RMK...the Hollis Price OU teams.etc.

now, they fucked around and are pretty good. and since CU sucks at football, students sell out the hoops games and the AD turned off the freebie pump, jacked up the ticket prices (which is logical, you free market zealots...but, i liked it better before). fun to go here local but the old days of "hey, i'll go to the CU game after work...." snap decision is over. and they don't sell beer anymore

college hoops is not the wane in Boulder, Colorado. never a hotbed for hardwood fans, CU has never been better and people like it.
""On a lonely planet spinning its way toward damnation amid the fear and despair of a broken human race, who is left to fight for all that is good and pure and gets you smashed for under a fiver? Yes, it's the surprising adventures of me, Sir Digby Chicken-Caesar!"
"
Goober McTuber

Post by Goober McTuber »

Screw_Michigan wrote:As often as Wisky's one and dones in the NCAA tournament, you god forsaken nitwit.
The Badgers have appeared in the NCAA tournament in each of Ryan's 12 seasons, advancing to five Sweet 16s, including the Elite Eight in 2005. In the history of the NCAA tournament, Ryan is one of just three coaches to lead his team to the Big Dance in each of his first 12 seasons at one school
Of course, I'm sure it doesn't compare to the stellar tournament record of Kalamazoo Tech. Idiot.
schmick, speaking about Larry Nassar's pubescent and prepubescent victims wrote: They couldn't even kick that doctors ass

Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

Goober McTuber wrote: Of course, I'm sure it doesn't compare to the stellar tournament record of Kalamazoo Tech. Idiot.
Apples and fucking oranges, you cunt, unless we're talking hockey. Then the playing field is a little more level, you fucking disingenuous tard.
Goober McTuber

Post by Goober McTuber »

Screw_Michigan wrote:
Goober McTuber wrote: Of course, I'm sure it doesn't compare to the stellar tournament record of Kalamazoo Tech. Idiot.
Apples and fucking oranges, you cunt, unless we're talking hockey. Then the playing field is a little more level
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

Go ahead and laugh, you tedious twit. You're the one comparing MAC basketball to Big 11 basketball. The hockey programs, while in different competitive tiers, are a bit more on a similar level.
Goober McTuber

Post by Goober McTuber »

Back to your original point:
Screw_Michigan wrote:
Goober McTuber wrote:
Screw_Michigan wrote:As a purchaser of season tickets for a local school here, I appreciate that I can pay $150 for 15 home games and not have to pay extra for prime games.
George Washington has "prime games"?
As often as Wisky's one and dones in the NCAA tournament, you god forsaken nitwit.
So George Washington has "prime games" twice in 12 years? Good thing you didn't have to pay extra for those. Thanks for playing, you slack-jawed halfwit.

smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

bath house sanitation engineer wrote:As often as Wisky's one and dones in the NCAA tournament, you god forsaken nitwit.
followed by...
bitter elderly last word cunt wrote:The Badgers have appeared in the NCAA tournament in each of Ryan's 12 seasons, advancing to five Sweet 16s, including the Elite Eight in 2005. In the history of the NCAA tournament, Ryan is one of just three coaches to lead his team to the Big Dance in each of his first 12 seasons at one school
so, screwie calls whisky the king of one and done and goobs defends with 12 tourneys in a row....... with a single S16?

try again you senile old twat.
Goober McTuber

Post by Goober McTuber »

smackaholic wrote:
bath house sanitation engineer wrote:As often as Wisky's one and dones in the NCAA tournament, you god forsaken nitwit.
followed by...
bitter elderly last word cunt wrote:The Badgers have appeared in the NCAA tournament in each of Ryan's 12 seasons, advancing to five Sweet 16s, including the Elite Eight in 2005. In the history of the NCAA tournament, Ryan is one of just three coaches to lead his team to the Big Dance in each of his first 12 seasons at one school
so, screwie calls whisky the king of one and done and goobs defends with 12 tourneys in a row....... with a single S16?

try again you senile old twat.
At least I can still read, you cock-snorkling mongoloid.

smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

I can read as well. I can even comprehend a fair bit of it. So, when someone calls your program a one and doner and your response is 12 apppearances in a row with just one of those appearces going anywhere at all, you look the gibbering mind numbed twat.
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

Rack Suckaholic for getting over on Gobbles McTubesteak.
Goober McTuber

Post by Goober McTuber »

smackaholic wrote:I can read as well. I can even comprehend a fair bit of it. So, when someone calls your program a one and doner and your response is 12 apppearances in a row with just one of those appearces going anywhere at all, you look the gibbering mind numbed twat.
I pointed out that Wisky has been to 5 (count ‘em, 5) Sweet 16s in Bo’s time there. Sweet 16s are not one-and-dones. Neither are second round losses and no, the play-in games are NOT round 1. Let me know if I need to draw a picture for you. You can keep arguing if you want, but you are already widely-recognized as the stupidest motherfucker on this board the internet, so I’m not sure what you’re hoping to gain. The fact that Screwball of all people thinks you’re getting over just reinforces my point.

MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

I was looking at Wisky's B1G schedule, and they managed to avoid having to play MSU or OSU on the road. They should no doubt lock up another "top 4 finish in the Big Ten" -- an arbitrary accomplishment Goobs like to masturbate to. But they always seem to get a very favorable conference schedule. I guess Delany really loves him some Bo Ryan handies.
Goober McTuber

Post by Goober McTuber »

What a bunch of horseshit. Those schedules rotate and I'm sure if you'd care to look, there have been years when they only played Sparty at East Lansing, only played tOSU at Columbus, etc. I am quite pleased that Bo's teams regularly overachieve in relation to where they're picked to finish. I would rather play Sparty and the Buckeyes home and home every year that they're good.

Find something else to whine about.

smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

Well, apparently I can't read. I could have sworn you said they made 1 S16. They made 5. :oops: At least I can admit when I am being a retard. The rest of you fukks should try it sometime.

Serves me right for wandering into this shit forum.

Eject.
Goober McTuber

Post by Goober McTuber »

smackaholic wrote:Well, apparently I can't read. I could have sworn you said they made 1 S16. They made 5. :oops: At least I can admit when I am being a retard. The rest of you fukks should try it sometime.

Serves me right for wandering into this shit forum.

Eject.
Screw_Michigan wrote:Rack Suckaholic for getting over on Gobbles McTubesteak.
What was that you were saying Screwball? Did you have trouble following along with that ballsack repeatedly blocking your vision? Go fuck yourself you cretinous douchenozzle.

MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

:lol:
Smackie Chan
Eternal Scobode

Post by Smackie Chan »

smackaholic wrote:I can admit when I am being a retard.
Gotta be second nature by now.
"I see everything twice!"
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

Boy, congrats, or something, for all those Sweet 16 appearances. Nice commitment to mediocrity you got there, tard.
Goober McTuber

Post by Goober McTuber »

Screw_Michigan wrote:Boy, congrats, or something, for all those Sweet 16 appearances. Nice commitment to mediocrity you got there, tard.
Yes, because making it to the Sweet 16 every other year is just so totally mediocre. Idiot.

Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

If you so consistently make the Sweet 16, don't you, you know, want to get BEYOND that? Loser.
Goober McTuber

Post by Goober McTuber »

Yes. This year. Mongoloid.

Goober McTuber

Post by Goober McTuber »

Quite the battle last night between MSU and tOSU. Sparty blew a 17-point lead in the last 7 minutes on their own floor, and wound up winning in OT. That has to be a bit disconcerting to the Sparty faithful. But they do play FIERCE defense.

smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

Screw_Michigan wrote:If you so consistently make the Sweet 16, don't you, you know, want to get BEYOND that? Loser.
Oh, come now, screwey, ohh fer five is a solid effort. You really can't bang on them till they get to ohh fer double digits.
Goober McTuber

Post by Goober McTuber »

smackaholic wrote:
Screw_Michigan wrote:If you so consistently make the Sweet 16, don't you, you know, want to get BEYOND that? Loser.
Oh, come now, screwey, ohh fer five is a solid effort. You really can't bang on them till they get to ohh fer double digits.
You really are proud to wear that badge of Dumbest Motherfucker On The Internet, aren’t you Corky. Go back and re-read my original post. Again. And understand why you are “ohh fer ferever” when it comes to posting coherent takes. Jesus Christ.

smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

As painful as it was, I did go back and re-read them. Even screwey's (particularly painful).

The bottom line is, 5 times whisky has managed to win 2 games in the dance. Zero times they have won 3, which is generally when you have to start playing respectable teams.

So,while your little program there may be impressive by previous whisky standards, it can't be called anything better than mediocre. Real programs consider it a failed year if they only make it to the S16. Mix in a FF or 3, then get back to us.
Goober McTuber

Post by Goober McTuber »

smackaholic wrote:As painful as it was, I did go back and re-read them. Even screwey's (particularly painful).

The bottom line is, 5 times whisky has managed to win 2 games in the dance. Zero times they have won 3, which is generally when you have to start playing respectable teams.
You are dumber than a motherfucking cinder block. Kill yourself.

Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

Oh so what, one Elite 8 appearance, you fucking pussy. Quit your fucking crying.
Goober McTuber

Post by Goober McTuber »

Do yourself a favor and shut your fucking maw. He's the one person here who makes you look intelligent.