Roast Chicken

"Hey Mikey"

Moderator: Mikey

mvscal
Blank

Roast Chicken

Post by mvscal »

Just one of many methods. I roasted this bird mostly because I needed the carcass for a batch of stock as base for gravy on Thanksgiving.

Bed of veg, tossed in olive oil, S&P, herbs.

Chicken room temp. Season cavity, stuff with a lemon pierced several times with a fork. Truss. Carpetbomb with salt & pepper. Oven 450.

Done.

Screw_Michigan wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:39 pmUnlike you tards, I actually have functioning tastebuds and a refined pallet.
Goober McTuber
World Renowned Last Word Whore

Re: Roast Chicken

Post by Goober McTuber »

For how long? What is the texture of the veggies when done? Tender crisp or cooked through? Does the cast iron skillet ever move?
Joe in PB wrote: Yeah I'm the dumbass
schmick, speaking about Larry Nassar's pubescent and prepubescent victims wrote: They couldn't even kick that doctors ass

Seems they rather just lay there, get fucked and play victim
Mikey
Carbon Neutral since 1955

Post by Mikey »

Looks pretty good, but I'm sort of surprised it doesn't burn up on the outside at that temperature before completely done on the inside.

I've been using Hazan's lemon chicken recipe for the past couple of years. Foolproof.
I'll be doing a variation of that on Thursday with my turkey as well.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

I've said it before... slow roasted bird rules.

Wrap the chicken in foil (optional). Put it in a 200 degree oven for 4.5 - 5 hours (depending on size of bird... those meat thermometer thingies are useful). Unwrap (if you chose that option), then crank the oven up full bore (475-500) for 15 minutes or so to brown the skin.

Falling-apart-gooey-moist.

You'll thank me later.
I got 99 problems but the 'vid ain't one
mvscal
Blank

Post by mvscal »

Goober McTuber wrote:For how long?
About an hour and a half. Depends on the size of the bird and your oven.
What is the texture of the veggies when done? Tender crisp or cooked through?

Cooked but not crispy.
Does the cast iron skillet ever move?
All the time. That's why it stays out on the stove.
Screw_Michigan wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:39 pmUnlike you tards, I actually have functioning tastebuds and a refined pallet.
mvscal
Blank

Post by mvscal »

Mikey wrote:Looks pretty good, but I'm sort of surprised it doesn't burn up on the outside at that temperature before completely done on the inside.
Don't be. Thomas Keller roasts chickens at that temp and I don't think you'll be finding too many dried out, over cooked birds at his Michelin starred restaurants.
mvscal
Blank

Post by mvscal »

Dinsdale wrote:I've said it before... slow roasted bird rules.
Sure you can do it that way if you want. It isn't really necessary, though. It's a fucking chicken not a brisket. The only time you will ever get a dried out chicken is if you over cook it or you don't let it rest before carving.
Goober McTuber
World Renowned Last Word Whore

Post by Goober McTuber »

Interesting. I would have guessed that after 90 minutes at 450 degrees, those vegetables might be pretty dark and crispy around the edges.

Also, I've cooked a chicken completely through in 90 minutes or so at 375 degrees, though those were actually fryers. Is that a roasting chicken, like 6 or 7 lbs?
Joe in PB wrote: Yeah I'm the dumbass
schmick, speaking about Larry Nassar's pubescent and prepubescent victims wrote: They couldn't even kick that doctors ass

Seems they rather just lay there, get fucked and play victim
mvscal
Blank

Post by mvscal »

Goober McTuber wrote:Interesting. I would have guessed that after 90 minutes at 450 degrees, those vegetables might be pretty dark and crispy around the edges.

Also, I've cooked a chicken completely through in 90 minutes or so at 375 degrees, though those were actually fryers. Is that a roasting chicken, like 6 or 7 lbs?
The pan was pretty crowded and the chicken was sitting right on top of them. That bird was only a little over 4 lbs.
Truman
Eternal Scobode

Post by Truman »

Weeping Jesus...

mvscal bakes a chicken.

:meds:
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

Where do you get the oven-mitt style handles for cast iron skillets? I see they sell the skillets at Target and shit but I can never find the handles.
kcdave wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 8:05 am
I was actually going to to join in the best bets activity here at good ole T1B...The guy that runs that contest is a fucking prick
Derron wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 3:07 pm
You are truly one of the worst pieces of shit to ever post on this board. Start giving up your paycheck for reparations now and then you can shut the fuck up about your racist blasts.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Screw, do you mind clarifying what in the fuck you're talking about? Look like regular skillets to me.
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

I was actually going to to join in the best bets activity here at good ole T1B...The guy that runs that contest is a fucking prick
You are truly one of the worst pieces of shit to ever post on this board. Start giving up your paycheck for reparations now and then you can shut the fuck up about your racist blasts.
mvscal
Blank

Post by mvscal »

Didn't realise there was anything special about the handle. I've had that pan for years I don't remember where it came from. The brand is Lodge and it's pretty common. I see them all the time.
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

Sorry for the confusion. Isn't there like a mitt or a cloth like sleeve that goes over the handle because cast iron skillets get super hot when used? I remember when I used to work in kitchens, we used those skillets but they always had the sleeves that went over them.

Or do you just grab a mitt or a rag?
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Grab a mitt or a hot pad.

If you want a sleeve they're pretty easy to find.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001E9 ... d_i=507846

We have a pair of these. They work really well for small handles on large pots, french ovens, Corningware dishes, etc.

Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

Thanks, as I said I'd go to Target and check out the pans, but there wouldn't be any sleeves.
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

We have one of these large Le Creuset cast iron skillets, and it's heavier than shit. You pretty much need to use both hands to control it if you're moving it from the oven or pouring something out of it. Those small grips come in really handy.

Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Kind of a pain to take on and off, but for mitts, the Ove Glove thingies pretty much rule.
R-Jack
Non Sequitur Legend

Post by R-Jack »

I'm guessing you only see the sleees in commercial kitchens since taking mitts on and off over and over would be too time consuming. Although since I know where screws hands have been mopping, I'd prefer he uses his own mitts.
trev
New Sheriff in Town

Post by trev »

I'm not surprised Mikey owns 2 plastic vaginas.
Shlomart Ben Yisrael
Insha'Allah

Post by Shlomart Ben Yisrael »

trev wrote:vaginas

sweet merciful allah

:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:
rock rock to the planet rock ... don't stop
Felix wrote:you've become very bitter since you became jewish......
Kierland drop-kicking Wolftard wrote: Aren’t you part of the silent generation?
Why don’t you just STFU.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

mvscal wrote:
Dinsdale wrote:I've said it before... slow roasted bird rules.
Sure you can do it that way if you want. It isn't really necessary, though. It's a fucking chicken not a brisket. The only time you will ever get a dried out chicken is if you over cook it or you don't let it rest before carving.

Having done it both ways many times...

uh, no.

No comparison in either tenderness or juice retention between the two methods. Slow roasted isn't just a little better -- it's WAY better. Just got to be around and have the time to do it, certainly not an after-work sort of deal.