Johnny may need a new name....

Fuck Jim Delany

Moderators: 88BuckeyeGrad, Left Seater, buckeye_in_sc

Harvdog
Eternal Scobode

Johnny may need a new name....

Post by Harvdog »

How dumb can one person be? Dude wins the Heisman as a Freshman and fucks up this bad......

Hey, he's just a 20 year old college kid
Harvdog
Eternal Scobode

Re: Johnny may need a new name....

Post by Harvdog »

If you read twitter, they have the perfect name!

@FauxPelini: Johnny Manziel = the #MoneyBadger.

Classic!
Left Seater
36,000 ft above the chaos

Post by Left Seater »

Here's hoping he isn't suspended for the Bama game. I am planning the double header of ATM vs Bama at 2:30 and Texas vs Ole Miss at 7:30. If he isn't playing the double header doesn't mean much.
Moving Sale wrote:I really are a fucking POS.
Softball Bat wrote: I am the dumbest motherfucker ever to post on the board.
Left Seater

Post by Left Seater »

as long as the athletes are compensated there isn't anything wrong with that.
buckeye_in_sc
Eternal Scobode

Post by buckeye_in_sc »

I figured schmick would be in here talkinga bout 18 scholarship losses, etc, etc and burn A&M to the ground...
Left Seater

Post by Left Seater »

Not going well for the kid right now.

Videos exist of him signing hundreds of items for a dealer. Apparently these brokers video the signings so that it is easier to have them authenticated.

Video does not show any money changing hands but allegedly Johnny is talking about how they can explain the flood of signatures on the market.

So this makes three separate allegations by brokers that he signed for them. These dealers don't necessarily want to get him suspended, but they do want to make sure everyone knows he did sign for them so they can sell their signed gear.
Harvdog
Eternal Scobode

Post by Harvdog »

It is amazing to watch how delusional all the aggys are. They are claiming it is a "witch" hunt and ESPN is looking for a reason to ruin their run at the MNC. I have even heard that ESPN started the investigation to get back at A&M for the Longhorn Network.

Nevermind that the kid has been a world class ass clown since he won the Heisman. Nevermind that he took money in Connecticut and Miami! That doesn't matter. Bottom line is he wanted the publicity and celebrity. He started to believe he was bulletproof. Looks like he will be done and lucky to be a 4th round pick.

Waste of talent. But like they said in Bull Durham....."I know you got a million arm and a .10 head" Way to go Moneybadger!
Left Seater

Post by Left Seater »

ESPN nothing. If any media is going to get the finger pointed at them it is his "local" San Antonio media. However, the media has zero to do with this.

On another note, I am not hearing the same thing from Aggies here. They all seem to realize that he never bought into the Aggie ways and traditions. It was just a player who needed a place to play and ATM was it. They are also saying he has let his hype get to his head. I have heard a couple bad mouth him for ruining what might have been a special season.
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

schmick wrote:As long as they are not taking what the school gives them and then selling it, it shouldnt be an issue. The NCAA is a fucking joke, makes billions off of these kids and forces them to live below poverty level.

A kid getting paid to sign autographs shouldnt be anything the NCAA should concern themselves with, they are only doing so because they are greedy and want all the money
BUT BUT BUT, they ARE compensated! They get scholarships! What are you, a fucking communist?

Sin,

Killitard

Fat Seater
kcdave wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 8:05 am
I was actually going to to join in the best bets activity here at good ole T1B...The guy that runs that contest is a fucking prick
Derron wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 3:07 pm
You are truly one of the worst pieces of shit to ever post on this board. Start giving up your paycheck for reparations now and then you can shut the fuck up about your racist blasts.
Left Seater

Post by Left Seater »

^^^^^^^^^^^^

Exactly. They are and we were. Get back to me when you are living on a full athletic scholarship.

Schmick,

Please explain to me how having access to high end food 15 hours a day, all you can eat, free clothing, free housing, free travel (well besides the SEC), is living below the poverty line.

Oh and just as an FYI, the NCAA isn't making the money, the schools are.
Killian
Good crossing pattern target

Post by Killian »

schmick wrote:The NCAA is a fucking joke, makes billions off of these kids and forces them to live below poverty level.
No, they're not. They are getting free room and board, as well as free meals, all while going to school for free. That isn't even close to the poverty level you simple minded dolt.

And Screw, just shut the fuck up already. You can't come up with a logical solution that pays student athletes that is also in line with Title IX. These kids are leaving school with no debt. If they choose to piss that away and not graduate, that's their fault.
"Well, my wife assassinated my sexual identity, and my children are eating my dreams." -Louis CK
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Post by MgoBlue-LightSpecial »

Killian wrote:No, they're not. They are getting free room and board, as well as free meals, all while going to school for free.
While at a school that many players would not have otherwise gotten into if it wasn't for football.

Screwey, allowing players to be paid will only increase the chasm between the haves and the have-nots in BTPCF and beyond. I'm surprised a MAC guy would be in favor of that.
Left Seater

Post by Left Seater »

MgoBlue-LightSpecial wrote:
While at a school that many players would not have normally gotten into if it wasn't for football.

This is way overblown, just as is the players parents have zero money to send them.

Yes, granted there are players in each signing class that wouldn't be there if they weren't athletes. There are also players who parents really have no extra money. However, these are the exceptions and not the rule. More than half of the recruits in each class at each school would get in without their athletic prowess. Same for the money thing. Far more players get money each month from home than those that do not. I played with a guy that grew up extremely poor and came from a broken home. Both of his parents lived in public housing and got disability money each month. They still sent him money each month as did his brothers and sisters and a few uncles and aunts. Pretty soon that $25 or $50 from 10 different people each month makes pretty good spending money.

Most of the schools in Div 1A are public schools. It really isn't all that hard to get into Alabama, LSU, Nebraska, Oregon, Texas ATM, Florida State, etc, etc.
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Left Seater wrote:More than half of the recruits in each class at each school would get in without their athletic prowess.
Link?
Left Seater

Post by Left Seater »

Impossible to link to due to privacy laws surrounding a persons transcripts.

However, listen to coaches on signing day. When they give their pressers on signing day they tell us how many have already qualified. Some schools also release the average test score for the class.

Also, take your favorite schools most recent signing class. Then google each player and their HS. You will see many of the players from smaller towns with newspaper stories on their signing or graduation etc. These papers will usually list a GPA and their other accomplishments, ie NHS, high class standing, etc. Most of the players are average students or better. Look no further than how many graduate in 4 or 5 years.
Killian

Post by Killian »

I'm guessing that over 95% of Notre Dame's class would not have gotten in if they did not play football. And by over 95%, I mean 100%.
"Well, my wife assassinated my sexual identity, and my children are eating my dreams." -Louis CK
Left Seater

Post by Left Seater »

Ok, so that might be the exception. That would be offset by Army, Navy, Air Force where 100% would get in despite playing football. Then add to that RICE, Vandy, Northwestern, Duke and Wake where 85% would still qualify for school without football.

Plus, you would be surprised by some of the recruits at ND. I am sure there are some that would make it in regardless. Look at your OL first. Those guys usually carry the smarts on each team.
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Left Seater wrote:Impossible to link to due to privacy laws surrounding a persons transcripts.
:lol:

I don't think anybody expected you to link a bunch of transcripts up in here. I figured you had access to some kind of study.
However, listen to coaches on signing day. When they give their pressers on signing day they tell us how many have already qualified. Some schools also release the average test score for the class.

Also, take your favorite schools most recent signing class. Then google each player and their HS. You will see many of the players from smaller towns with newspaper stories on their signing or graduation etc. These papers will usually list a GPA and their other accomplishments, ie NHS, high class standing, etc. Most of the players are average students or better. Look no further than how many graduate in 4 or 5 years.
I would venture to guess that "more than half" is a bit high but I can't say for sure. Even if it's about half or so, add them up at all the schools, and that's still a pretty significant number who are receiving an all expense paid education, and then some, just for being good at football.
Killian

Post by Killian »

Even then, they wouldn't. ND has gotten very elitest when it has come to their regular admissions. I was boarderline 15+ years ago and didn't get in despite being in the top 7% of my class and having good test scores.

Now, unless you are a legacy, you need at least a 33 on the ACT and a 4.0 or better, plus leadership positions on multiple extra curricular activities.

Last dude I could think of off the top of my head that could have made it in on his own academic merrits was Tim Ruddy. He carried close to a 4.0 in mechanical engineering (I think). He graduated in 1994. I know there have been some since, but not many.
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Someone on reddit posted links to one of the broker's ebay pages with signed memorabilia from other big name players. Some of those players being guys like Clowney, Braxton Miller, Taylor Lewan (Michigan). This may just be the beginning.
Left Seater

Post by Left Seater »

MgoBlue-LightSpecial wrote:
I don't think anybody expected you to link a bunch of transcripts up in here. I figured you had access to some kind of study.

I would venture to guess that "more than half" is a bit high but I can't say for sure. Even if it's about half or so, add them up at all the schools, and that's still a pretty significant number who are receiving an all expense paid education, and then some, just for being good at football.
No doubt, a huge number get a huge gift just to play a game. My point was only that the exceptions to the rule get all the attention. The superstar athlete from the broken home that gets zero support isn't representative of the team as a whole. Far more prevalent is the player who comes from a middle class family that gets a few hundred dollars or so a month. But that story doesn't play as well to the media.

What really bothers me is how the media seems to refuse to connect any dots nor does the public watching most of the time. Take a story from last season on Gameday. The kid grew up in Georgia with nothing. Broken home and the mother has two other kids at home. ESPN shows a shot of the mom standing in front of what we are lead to believe is her home. None of us would ever step foot in it period, much less live there. They explain how the mom works two jobs and hasn't missed a day of work in years. Ok we get it. They are poor. Then the music speeds up and we see her across the country in the stands at a Pac 12 school where her son is playing. They then tell us that she hasn't missed a game of his ever! Going all the way back to pee wee football. Her streak stands at around 120 games at this point and counting. We are supposed to feel all warm and happy for her and him.

But if she is really that poor, how does she travel cross country each weekend and make it back for work at 5:00am on Monday? This takes huge amounts of cash each week. How is that possible given the background you just gave us? Plus, if she has the money to travel to each game, she sure could send a little to her son each month as well.
buckeye_in_sc
Eternal Scobode

Post by buckeye_in_sc »

I saw that report...I think where it comes into play...is the amount and if they are sequential...Johnny Autograph's are in numerical order (and a bunch) and I read where Clowney's were as well...

you know most of these kids are probably doing it for a few bucks...not sure 7500 or whatever for new rims though...
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Thank god nobody wants Andrew Maxwell's autograph.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Life is strange... how weird is it that I'm thanking my lucky stars a Heisman winner, Johnny Meltdown, decommitted from my team?
I got 99 problems but the 'vid ain't one
Killian

Post by Killian »

schmick wrote:1st. Get rid of title ix
Good luck. You know, seeing as it was passed by congress and all.
Left Seater

Post by Left Seater »

Exactly!

Getting rid of Title IX would be about as easy as eliminating the Civil Rights Act. Plus, some states, CA included, have state laws regarding equal treatment of the sexes when it comes to education institutions regardless of their use of federal or state monies.

As for letting athletes earn money outside of the school you just opened the door for boosters to pay them. Here Johnny sign this helmet and I will pay you $100,000.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Left Seater wrote:As for letting athletes earn money outside of the school you just opened the door for boosters to pay them. Here Johnny sign this helmet and I will pay you $100,000.

Oh, I'm all for it -- wonder which school would benefit the most from this?

Hmmmm, let me think long and hard on this one. Which "school" has the largest endorsement budget?

Hint: Toejam already has a big problem with the school in question.

And they already do it, they just wait until the player leaves the school.
Killian

Post by Killian »

Left Seater wrote:Exactly!

Getting rid of Title IX would be about as easy as eliminating the Civil Rights Act.

As for letting athletes earn money outside of the school you just opened the door for boosters to pay them. Here Johnny sign this helmet and I will pay you $100,000.
I am 100% against paying players. But if you were to do it, I can only see two possible scenarios:

1.) Allow the boosters to pay the kids.
-Forget for a second about amature status. This is the only way around Title IX because it is the closest thing to "what the free market will allow." You want to get paid as much as Johnny Football? Play as well as him. But there would need to be some sort of cap put on this. Like you said, what would stop Phil Knight or T. Boone Pickins from telling the #1 RB/QB/WR/Whatever that if they come and sign some autographs, they will pay him $1M the first year. This scenario is very unlikely to happen.

2.) Put money in an escrow account
-People aren't going to buy #1 Notre Dame jerseys because Todd Lyght and Derick Mays wore them. They are doing it this year because of Louis Nix. So, track all ND #1 jerseys this year and 1% of all #1 ND jerseys is put into an escrow fund that is then given to Louis Nix at the time he is no longer college elligible. This seems like a solution that could be doable, but what about Greg Bryant? Who is Greg Bryant? A five star freshman running back that signed with Notre Dame and is wearing #1 as well. It isn't beyond the realm of possibility that someone would buy that jersey because they want to be the first to have a "Greg Bryant" jersey. So how do you decide if he gets any money? And what if he changes numbers before he is no longer eligible?
Left Seater

Post by Left Seater »

As we all know I am also 100% against paying players.

I don't see how you control #1 unless the payments go thru the NCAA which becomes a major headache.

As for number two, how do you know there isn't someone buying a jersey because of Mays? The purchaser could see the jersey and remember his favorite ND player of all time. What about retired players numbers? Do they get 1% forever? What about when an offensive starter wears the same number as a defensive starter?

The only way that would ever work is to take all the licensed apparel sales for a year and then give each student athlete regardless of sport an equal percentage.
Left Seater

Post by Left Seater »

Dinsdale wrote: Oh, I'm all for it -- wonder which school would benefit the most from this?

Hmmmm, let me think long and hard on this one. Which "school" has the largest endorsement budget?

The same school whose athletic programs would see their budgets cut by 3/4 if this individual/corporation suddenly stopped said endorsements and gifts. 8)
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Left Seater wrote:
Dinsdale wrote: Oh, I'm all for it -- wonder which school would benefit the most from this?

The same school whose athletic programs would see their budgets cut by 3/4 if this individual/corporation suddenly stopped said endorsements and gifts.

Exactly. I'm fairly certain that a certain booster would go scorched-earth if it actually became acceptable to sign players to endorsement deals.
Left Seater

Post by Left Seater »

I don't disagree with you.

Just pointing out the fact that if someday the money dried up or the brand was no longer the most popular, a certain school would be screwed.

That is the problem when college teams have "owners." See also Oklahoma State.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

I don't disagree with you, either.

Although Oregon's Athletic Department (fuelled by football) is much, much, much closer to solvency after "building the brand" with the influx of Uncle's money than they were at the onset of the "brand-building" phase. Actually, I think the latest numbers have them pretty close to solvent (although I'm not so naive to think the books aren't cooked to appease the ultra-leftist-faggot-football-haters in this state, that while a minority, are certainly a vocal one).

But in prior years, your points were certainly the case. Then again, 10 years or so ago, I used to be be able to get nice seats up front for $25-30... certainly no more than $40. I don't think that gets you a parking spot and a shuttle bus ride to the stadium anymore.
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

MgoBlue-LightSpecial wrote: Screwey, allowing players to be paid will only increase the chasm between the haves and the have-nots in BTPCF and beyond. I'm surprised a MAC guy would be in favor of that.
By the time they get around to paying players, the MAC will cease to be part of D-1A.
kcdave wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 8:05 am
I was actually going to to join in the best bets activity here at good ole T1B...The guy that runs that contest is a fucking prick
Derron wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 3:07 pm
You are truly one of the worst pieces of shit to ever post on this board. Start giving up your paycheck for reparations now and then you can shut the fuck up about your racist blasts.
Left Seater

Post by Left Seater »

So that would eliminate damn near every publicly traded company out there.
campinfool
2009 PET Champion

Post by campinfool »

The money factor should not even apply to Moneybadger. His family ain't exactly broke and living in the hood. Dude can't keep his mouth shut especially on Twitter and his dad really can't keep his mouth shut.
Truman
Eternal Scobode

Post by Truman »

Sudden Sam wrote:Won't be nearly as much fun to destroy the Aggies if JM isn't on the field.

:(
Well hell, Sam, why even play the game? :?
Left Seater

Post by Left Seater »

While that makes for an interesting read, it means zero in the autograph case.

Word thru local media, JF's hometown, the NCAA investigation is focusing on the words of JF himself in one of those videos. They are building the case around his own words about explaining how all the autographs hit the market at the same time, what JF would do and say if the signing ever came to light, and what there story would be if ever questioned.

The local news is also running with a story that he may have signed for a local Aggie business owner on a trade basis. The big issue with this is that it happened last Thanksgiving. Meaning if true, the Aggies would have games to forfeit and he would be inelligible for the Heisman like Reggie Bush.