Rank your top 5 uniforms

Fuck Jim Delany

Moderators: 88BuckeyeGrad, Left Seater, buckeye_in_sc

MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Rank your top 5 uniforms

Post by MgoBlue-LightSpecial »

Only stipulation, you have to exclude your own team.

5. TCU - Unlike Northwestern, TCU makes purple look intimidating. Their various helmet designs are always good. Not a fan of the matte helmet trend, but they made that look good as well.

4. LSU - Simple but flashy at the same time.

3. Florida State - Used to be an FSU fan when I was a kid living in Sarasota, so I cop to a certain level of bias here, but always found their unis to be pretty slick. Some of the more recent threads involving black motifs suck ass, however. Gotta keep it rill, yo.

2. Texas - Specifically, the all-white road uniforms. Just a sharp, clean look. Other schools have tried to pull it off, but failed.

1. Penn State - Face it, their gear is so fucking bland it's actually unique. Through decades of resistance and non-conformity, PSU hit a major payoff. I remember Penn St. played a bowl game against LSU a few years ago in a mudslide, and they looked pretty cool all muddied up and shit. That was a football game. The all-whites are even better.

honorable mention: Rutgers (new hydrochrome helmets are bad ass), Kentucky (dig the shiny royal blue), Iowa (even if they did blatantly rip off the Steelers), UCLA, Western Michigan (that's right, it takes skill to make shit brown look good).
R-Jack
Non Sequitur Legend

Re: Rank your top 5 uniforms

Post by R-Jack »

MgoBlue-LightSpecial wrote:Only stipulation, you have to exclude your own team
#1- Iowa

~noj~
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

TCU.....naw.

but, i do agree that some teams that have tried the all-whites look like pajamas. Colorado under Barnett did it pajama style. wasn't great and usually the Barnett era Colorado had sweet threads. simple and clean. black and gold with white lettering. good unis....but the all whites looked weak. UT, PSU, Oklahoma, Bama....works.

winning helps. probably the conclusion one draws. so, Cal #1.

and, yes, Iowa blatant rip of Steelers. KSU, rip of Cowboys...LSU also has a little Cowboy flava. for some reason that one (KSU) surprises people sometimes...but, Snyder was up front about it inna day. that and playing patsies, Darth Bill always a straight shooter. except about injuries.

edit: see my avatar. 1977 OU at Ohio State....Thomas Lott....all white, white shoes even. though inna wishbone, turf era....players taped their shoes as a part of the ankle wrap so heavily didn't matter what the color was. looked white. except for Joe Washington.
""On a lonely planet spinning its way toward damnation amid the fear and despair of a broken human race, who is left to fight for all that is good and pure and gets you smashed for under a fiver? Yes, it's the surprising adventures of me, Sir Digby Chicken-Caesar!"
"
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

i like what Adidas has done with ATM. though, Adidas did TRON out Nebraska in 2002 or something....people forget. and NU went for it....for one year.
""On a lonely planet spinning its way toward damnation amid the fear and despair of a broken human race, who is left to fight for all that is good and pure and gets you smashed for under a fiver? Yes, it's the surprising adventures of me, Sir Digby Chicken-Caesar!"
"
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

King Crimson wrote:TCU.....naw.
It's okay to embrace something from the last 20 years, you know. You can't tell me these aren't slick:

Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

MgoBlue-LightSpecial wrote:Western Michigan (that's right, it takes skill to make shit brown look good).
WMU hasn't worn "shit brown" since 97, asswipe, but thanks for the attention. I do hope that they go back to a dark brown jersey in the future. Black is so 00s.
kcdave wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 8:05 am
I was actually going to to join in the best bets activity here at good ole T1B...The guy that runs that contest is a fucking prick
Derron wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 3:07 pm
You are truly one of the worst pieces of shit to ever post on this board. Start giving up your paycheck for reparations now and then you can shut the fuck up about your racist blasts.
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

I know, but they still incorporate it here and there like when they break out the old helmets:

Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

GT looks like a Pop Warner team. Appropriate since they play like one.
kcdave wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 8:05 am
I was actually going to to join in the best bets activity here at good ole T1B...The guy that runs that contest is a fucking prick
Derron wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 3:07 pm
You are truly one of the worst pieces of shit to ever post on this board. Start giving up your paycheck for reparations now and then you can shut the fuck up about your racist blasts.
The Seer
Just the Facts

Post by The Seer »

I was going to give everyone props for NOT mentioning Organ, but Willie had to fuck it up.
E UNUM PLURIBUS
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

purple is for barney. i can and will tell you they ain't slick. black accents when not part of the school colors are crap. i like the killer frog idea and like Patterson's D....but uni love for the frogs....nope.

20 years ain't got nothing to do with it. 4 of your top 5 haven't changed in 20 years much...so lay off the suds there Potsie. purple and black aint' top 5 in the pageantry. nowhere close.

MgoBlue-LightSpecial wrote:
King Crimson wrote:TCU.....naw.
It's okay to embrace something from the last 20 years, you know. You can't tell me these aren't slick:

Last edited by King Crimson on Sat Jul 13, 2013 10:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

if crap brown jerseys is the topic, i like Wyoming. helmet cowboy logo ain't bad either. unique at least.
"
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Horseshit. TCU, LSU, Clemson, Washington, KSU, Northwestern, have been rocking purple well before the child molesting dinosaur came along. And all of them have looked good doing it, with the exception of Clemson's purple on purple which is just atrocious:

But, the same can be said of any uni devoid of contrast. It only seems to work when it's white on white. I'm so racist.

Agree on Wyoming. The shit brown works and the logo is indeed pretty cool.
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Papa Willie wrote:1. Auburn. Yeah - I know I'm doing the homer thing here, but their home uni's are the ultimate in contrast with superior colors. Navy Blue, white & orange just fucking work. Lick my colon, Screwy.
Damn it, Spray, I only instituted ONE rule, and you still found a way to fuck it up. I'm pretty neutral on Auburn's unis. Not bad, just kinda blah. I wouldn't rank them in my top 5 of SEC uniforms, let alone top 5 of cfb.
2. Clemson. Orange helmets, purple shirts, white pants. Just awesome. Your father hates how you suck his dick, Screwy.
Yeah, those are pretty deece. I also like just the standard orange jersey, orange helmet and white pants.
3. North Carolina. Their latest mirror helmet is probably the coolest looking helmet there has ever been. If they wear that, use the Carolina Blue shirts & white pants, that's probably the best uni in the business. Yeah - I know Oregon started the mirror helmet, but Carolina Blue beats green and yellow.
I dig the hydrochrome helmet trend but the giant mangled foot logo is a fucking eyesore. Only thing worse was when Va Tech broke out with this garbage:

Not a fan of UNC's whole getup, really. The calming effect of baby blue doesn't work so well on the gridiron, imo. Works much better on a basketball uni.
Terry in Crapchester
2012 March Madness Champ

Post by Terry in Crapchester »

I'm biased, of course, but I think ND has the best-looking uniforms in college football, bar none. And since 'Spray mentioned Clemson's purple, as alternate uniforms go, ND's green is much better in that it fits in seamlessly with ND's basic uniform construct, unlike Clemson's purple.

A couple of points here as far as uniforms go:

1. Not a fan of any monochromatic combo, including (and I know I'm in the minority here) white-on-white. I like to see a little color in the uniforms, and white-on-white is just too bland for me. As for Penn State's uniforms, yes, they're iconic, but they're not my thing -- far too bland.

2. If a school has silver or gold, or some variation thereof, as a secondary color, the pants should ALWAYS be that color. Period, end of discussion, and not even open for debate.

3. Unless black is part of your school's official color scheme, you should never, ever wear black jerseys.

With that in mind, and keeping in mind Mgo's rule, here's my top five, fwiw (1 1/2 agree with Mgo).

#5. Texas.

One-half agreement with Mgo on this one. I'm going with the home uniforms only. I don't think there's a color more unique to a single college football team than is Texas' burnt orange.

#4. Washington

The classic purple-and-gold look, at least. Washington is a school that has been guilty of breaking two of my rules above -- the monochromatic purple-on-purple look, as well as the black jerseys look. The standard purple-and-gold look, though, is classic and even understated (not easy with that color combo), yet still eyecatching.

#3. Ohio State

Scarlet and grey is a stylish -- and unique (although Rutgers seems to be moving in that direction with the chrome helmets) combination. I also love the individual buckeyes on the helmet to denote big plays.

#2. Florida State

The other part of my agreement with Mgo. Unlike him, I never had a rooting interest in Florida State, but I always thought their garnet-and-gold uniforms were sharp. They would have made #1 on my list but for the squaring off (as opposed to rounding) of the top half of the number 3 on their uniforms. There's a reason I picked out a photo of E.J. Manuel.

#1. Michigan

It may be blasphemous for a ND fan to say anything complimentary about Michigan, but there is something about their uniforms. I know the stripes on the helmet were thieved from Princeton, but they're still cool. And the colors, while not identical to ND's, are close enough to have fooled my mother-in-law.
War Wagon wrote:The first time I click on one of your youtube links will be the first time.
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Terry in Crapchester wrote:Scarlet and grey is a stylish -- and unique (although Rutgers seems to be moving in that direction with the chrome helmets) combination. I also love the individual buckeyes on the helmet to denote big plays.
I like OSU's unis, but unique? Come on. It's "unique" because they opted for gray pants instead of white? Err, uhh, okay, I suppose. With Maryland and Rutgers coming in next year, the Big Ten is going to have six different teams rocking red uniforms, so it's hard to call any of 'em unique. Hell, we could split the divisions by teams with red unis and teams with "other" unis. And that doesn't even count Minnesota who sports maroon.

And since everyone else is homering it up, I guess I'll break down and do it myself. If you want unique, Michigan State is the only team in the conference that wears green. I don't think it gets much sharper than their simple home greens and white pants with the Spartan logo helmet:

I really like the thick stripe on the helmet as it makes it stand out more. Most teams still opt for the thin stripe, which looks fine.

Unfortunately, MSU's road uniforms are every bit as atrocious as their home unis are sharp. Those things need to be jammed into a safe and dropped into Lake Michigan.

And I suppose by that same token Northwestern is also unique, but they really should go back to the threads they had during the Gary Barnett days.
buckeye_in_sc
Eternal Scobode

Post by buckeye_in_sc »

I am a huge fan of the Spartan on the helmet...

I kind of dig USC's helmets as well
Left Seater
36,000 ft above the chaos

Post by Left Seater »

One thing seems to be a common theme to many of the schools listed here. They haven't made changes to the uni much if at all. Penn St, Michigan, LSU, Texas all look like they did when I started watching football. Sure there maybe subtle changes that alums or rivals can point out, but to the average fan they are still the same.

Contrast that with schools that have no uniform tradition because they change each season.
Moving Sale wrote:I really are a fucking POS.
Softball Bat wrote: I am the dumbest motherfucker ever to post on the board.
R-Jack
Non Sequitur Legend

Post by R-Jack »

This has got to be the gayest thread in CFB without an m2 sighting.
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

R-Jack wrote:This has got to be the gayest thread in CFB without an m2 sighting.
Don't you hawk ties and dress shirts for a living? Fuck off. Uniform talk in sports is totally acceptable.
R-Jack
Non Sequitur Legend

Post by R-Jack »

Don't you hawk ties and dress shirts for a living?
Yeah, and you guys are talking like the queens who dress the mannequins.
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Papa Willie wrote:
R-Jack wrote:This has got to be the gayest thread in CFB without an m2 sighting.
Don't you hawk ties and dress shirts for a living? Fuck off. Uniform talk in sports is totally acceptable.

I dunno. He's got a point. I kind of wondered why I felt the urge to suck my dick in this thread.
If you two want to start a thread about stuff that threatens your sexual identity, have at it. This one is about cfb uniforms.
Mikey
Carbon Neutral since 1955

Post by Mikey »

Papa Willie wrote:
If you two want to start a thread about stuff that threatens your sexual identity, have at it. This one is about cfb uniforms.

Perhaps I only want to fuck the uniforms? Perhaps I'm asexual?
probably hermaphrodite
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

MgoBlue-LightSpecial wrote:If you two want to start a thread about stuff that threatens your sexual identity, have at it. This one is about cfb uniforms.
I thought it was an attempt to bait me into posting this:

Because it sure as shit reminds me of that shithole.
Goober McTuber wrote:One last post...
Mikey
Carbon Neutral since 1955

Post by Mikey »

IndyFrisco wrote:
MgoBlue-LightSpecial wrote:If you two want to start a thread about stuff that threatens your sexual identity, have at it. This one is about cfb uniforms.
I thought it was an attempt to bait me into posting this:

Because it sure as shit reminds me of that shithole.
You might be able to afford an account upgrade if you go ahead and sell one of your TVs.
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

Papa Willie wrote: the Big Ten is going to have six different teams rocking red uniforms, so it's hard to call any of 'em unique.
i'm no defender of the Big Ten but the SEC has 3 teams called the Tigers and 2 called the Bulldogs....so, hey?

5 teams, 2 nicknames....
"
Truman
Eternal Scobode

Post by Truman »

King Crimson wrote:i'm no defender of the Big Ten but the SEC has 3 teams called the Tigers and 2 called the Bulldogs....so, hey?

5 teams, 2 nicknames....
Can't speak for All-barn, but the origins of Mizzou's and LSU's nicknames date back to the Civil War - and neither one of them had anything to do with the black and gold or purple and gold critter both teams sport on the side of their hats.
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

King Crimson wrote:
Papa Willie wrote: the Big Ten is going to have six different teams rocking red uniforms, so it's hard to call any of 'em unique.
i'm no defender of the Big Ten but the SEC has 3 teams called the Tigers and 2 called the Bulldogs....so, hey?

5 teams, 2 nicknames....
How did that quote get attributed to Spray? :?
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

buckeye_in_sc wrote:I am a huge fan of the Spartan on the helmet...

I kind of dig USC's helmets as well
two "ancient history teams" famous for losing to Athens or the Greeks.

strange thing, that.

cool helmets, sure, when Sparty doesn't rotate back to "S'" when they change coaches...or whatever seasonal thing governs it.
"
Killian
Good crossing pattern target

Post by Killian »

Some people really have a hard time following fucking directions. These are the same people who say, “I know it says 10 items or less and I have 11, but fuck you, my shit is more important.”

Simple fucking rules that can’t be followed. From fans of two schools that can’t follow the rules, so why am I surprised?
"Well, my wife assassinated my sexual identity, and my children are eating my dreams." -Louis CK
Terry in Crapchester
2012 March Madness Champ

Post by Terry in Crapchester »

Terry in Crapchester wrote:Scarlet and grey is a stylish -- and unique (although Rutgers seems to be moving in that direction with the chrome helmets) combination. I also love the individual buckeyes on the helmet to denote big plays.
I like OSU's unis, but unique? Come on. It's "unique" because they opted for gray pants instead of white? Err, uhh, okay, I suppose.
I said the scarlet and gray color scheme was unique, not the jerseys themselves. Though on second thought, Washington State, New Mexico and UNLV all sport unis with similar color schemes (although only one of those teams is BCS-level, and they're among the most obscure of the BCS-level programs).
With Maryland and Rutgers coming in next year, the Big Ten is going to have six different teams rocking red uniforms, so it's hard to call any of 'em unique. Hell, we could split the divisions by teams with red unis and teams with "other" unis. And that doesn't even count Minnesota who sports maroon.
You need Minnesota in the red division to make it an even alignment:

Red Division: Indiana, Maryland, Minnesota, Nebraska, Ohio State, Rutgers, Wisconsin.
Black-and-Blue Division: Illinois, Iowa, Michigan, Michigan State, Northwestern, Penn State, Purdue.

I took a little liberty with the name of the second division, given Sparty's uniforms as well as Northwestern's official colors (although they're at least as likely to sport black jerseys at home as they are to sport purple ones -- every time I see them in a home game they seem to be wearing black). Of course, the B1G has considered just about every other possible alignment, so why not this one? Not much to recommend it if you're Penn State fan, but at least the division names are better than Leaders and Legends.
War Wagon wrote:The first time I click on one of your youtube links will be the first time.