The Map...

Fuck Jim Delany

Moderators: 88BuckeyeGrad, Left Seater, buckeye_in_sc

M2
2005 Cryin' Ryan Winner

The Map...

Post by M2 »

Who would've have guessed that California would have more NFL players than Texas, Oklahoma, Notre Dame, Michigan, Penn State, Alabama, Florida, and Florida State ?

Still the # 1 school in the country, in regards to sending college football players to the NFL.

... and a hearty RACK to Regina

http://i.imgur.com/tMrSsnF.jpg
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Re: The Map...

Post by Screw_Michigan »

Cal scrambling to cover stadium bill

http://www.sfchronicle.com/collegesport ... 604221.php
By Nanette Asimov

June 17, 2013

UC Berkeley's plan to sell special football seats to pay off nearly half a billion dollars in stadium debt has long inspired skepticism, as if Cal were setting up a lemonade stand to finance a home mortgage.

True, each of those chairs at the newly renovated Memorial Stadium costs $40,000 to $250,000 and is yours for 40 or 50 years. But even Cal officials, who had said they would sell all 2,902 pricey seats by this month, grew skeptical of their own claims last fall.

The latest figures show sales have stagnated at 1,857 seats. Declined, in fact. Sixteen buyers gave their seats back this winter, stopping payments and cutting short their ownership deal.

None of that surprises longtime critics of the stadium renovation, like computer science Professor Brian Barsky.

"We said it wouldn't work out. They never should have done this," Barsky said. "The prices are too high. It was doomed to failure."

It's not as if Cal can unbuild the stadium. So campus officials are finding other ways they hope will pay the huge bill. Cal analysts, using numbers supplied by the athletics department, call the effort encouraging, while a Stanford University sports economist says it won't be enough.

$445 million burden

The campus carries $445 million in debt for the renovation of its once-seismically unsound football stadium - which cost $321 million and opened Sept. 1 - and its new student athletic center, which cost $153 million.

Barsky and other skeptics call this debt burden a "noose around the campus' neck" that could prevent Cal from pursuing other worthy projects requiring it to borrow money, like retrofitting buildings that don't meet seismic standards. They also fear it will lead the campus to raid academic funds, and that the University of California regents could raise tuition to pay off debt. Such concerns are fueled by UC's practice of pledging all forms of revenue - "including tuition," according to Cal's fact sheet on Memorial Stadium - when it obtains debt financing.

At the same time, the regents have said debt repayment should come from the intercollegiate athletics budget. That department already uses campus funds, however, relying on yearly contributions from a discretionary account to pay its bills. This year, the campus contributed $4.5 million.

Stadium debt already absorbs 20 percent of intercollegiate athletics' annual income, or roughly $18 million of its $89 million budget. And that pays only the interest.

Cal won't start paying down the principal until 2032, when its yearly payments rise to $26 million, then $37 million, before tapering off in 2051. After a brief respite, Cal will owe a lump sum of $82 million in 2053 alone. Then it will have six decades to pay off the final 17 percent, or $75 million.

"So where's the money going to come from? That's what I'm worried about," Barsky said.

Cal officials wondered the same thing when sales of their "endowment seating" proved less sprightly than anticipated after Memorial Stadium's grand opening on Sept. 1. The Cal Bears' performance, too, was less than sprightly.

The football team lost nine out of 12 games, a record so grim that head coach Jeff Tedford was fired. In all, not the sort of performance that entices many fans to surrender $40,000 for a lifelong seat, much less $250,000 for an even better view of the heartache.

Time for plan B

And even if every endowment seat were sold, Cal would still be short by $134 million, nearly a third of its debt, officials learned recently.

"It became clear that the probability of meeting the expectations was reduced," said John Wilton, vice chancellor for administration and finance at the campus. "So as things folded in, we just adapted the model to a new reality."

It was time for plan B.

The idea was to find new ways to raise money - and hire sales professionals to figure out how.

Until last fall, seating and ticket sales had been managed by Cal's development office - the people who solicit charitable donations from alumni and others.

Cal agreed to pay about $300,000 a year to "professionalize" the efforts, and it's been worth it, Wilton said.

"We were selling tickets in an amateurish way, part time," he said, noting that sales are up and tickets easier to buy. "So you'd have to be an idiot not to hire them."

The professionals are also expanding the sales pitch for endowment seating beyond alumni, to corporations. Campus officials also asked advice from their own Haas School of Business, and from the owners of endowment seats.

Here's what they came up with:

-- "Corporate Bundles." These are short-term, discounted seats in the University Club section where the price is normally $175,000 - the cheapest tier in the priciest area. Now, corporations can pay $10,000 a seat for a two-year contract, but they have to buy six-seat bundles. Buyers can also write off about two-thirds of the price because it's considered a philanthropic donation, spokesman Dan Mogulof said.

-- "Perk Pricing." Available only to friends of endowment seat owners, this program is meant to entice new long-term buyers with single-season, discounted seats. These cost $2,500 in the University Club, $1,400 in the mid-level Stadium Club, and $700 in the Field Club.

-- Playoff payoff: Beginning in 2014, Cal will get additional TV revenue from college football's new playoff system, and will earmark a portion for stadium debt. It expects another bump-up in 2017 after renegotiating its media contract, and it will use some of that for the same purpose.

-- Landlording: Some of the more glittery new spaces, like the University Club with its romance-worthy views of the bay and Mount Tamalpais, will be rented out for events, while office space in the complex - left unfinished for lack of funds - will be completed and leased to other departments or off-campus agencies.

Cal officials say they've also become conservative about counting seat sales. In the past, if someone promised to buy a seat, Cal added the hoped-for revenue to the books, Wilton said.

"They learned a commitment is not a commitment until you have a binding document," he said. "Now we feel we're better off."

An analysis of the efforts by financial modeling experts at the Haas School of Business - William Fuchs, Richard Stanton and Nancy Wallace - is encouraging.

Big challenges ahead

Yet they warn in their report that the intercollegiate athletics department could be at a disadvantage when trying to lease out "potentially challenging" space, in part because Cal is less equipped to manage its real estate compared with other universities.

They also weren't able to analyze large additional costs associated with raising new revenue - such as completing office space for rental and hiring the professional sales team - and say they don't know if such costs are reasonable.

Taking a grimmer view is Roger Noll, an emeritus professor at Stanford and an expert in stadium financing.

He pointed to less ambitious efforts to finance new stadiums in Michigan and Texas, which aren't going well.

"If Texas can't raise the money, how the hell do you think Cal can?" Noll said with a rueful laugh.

"I hope they succeed, but the chances are not very high," he said. "My guess is the incremental revenue from the stadium is not going to be even close to paying off the structural deficit."

Stadium seating
Of the 2,902 seats in the "endowment seating program," 1,857 had been sold as of March 31. Here is the breakdown:

University Club ($175,000 to $225,000 each): 112 of 425 (26%) sold. Perks include free parking and free catered food, 22-inch cushioned seats, TV and non-game-day access for a fee.

Stadium Club ($75,000 to $125,000 each): 688 of 1,051 (65%) sold. Perks include free parking and free catered food, 20-inch cushioned seats and TV.

Field Club ($40,000 to $60,000 each): 1,057 of 1,426 (74%) sold. Perks include free parking, private bar and TV.

Nanette Asimov is a San Francisco Chronicle staff writer. E-mail: nasimov@sfchronicle.com Twitter: @NanetteAsimov
kcdave wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 8:05 am
I was actually going to to join in the best bets activity here at good ole T1B...The guy that runs that contest is a fucking prick
Derron wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 3:07 pm
You are truly one of the worst pieces of shit to ever post on this board. Start giving up your paycheck for reparations now and then you can shut the fuck up about your racist blasts.
Left Seater
36,000 ft above the chaos

Post by Left Seater »

Hell, with that many players in the NFL, Cal should have zero debt. If each of those NFL players gave 5% of their salary back to the school the debt would soon be gone.

It is also very clear why Cal chooses to bus their team between the Bay Area and LA. They can't afford to fly. An athletic budget of $89 million and they are borrowing from the general fund as well. No need for a $100K charter flight when $20K in busses will get the job done.

Too bad the writer doesn't specifically mention which other stadium projects in Texas and Michigan are having a hard time with funding. Of the two recently completed TCU and Taco Tech, I haven't heard of issues. I know the writer couldn't be speaking of UT since they are turning a profit on their overall athletic budget and are giving between $5 and $9 million a year to the University.
Moving Sale wrote:I really are a fucking POS.
Softball Bat wrote: I am the dumbest motherfucker ever to post on the board.
R-Jack
Non Sequitur Legend

Post by R-Jack »

M2 wrote:

Still the # 1 school in the country, in regards to sending college football players to the NFL.
Try reading the map you posted again you stupid fuck. They aren't even #1 in the state.
Laxplayer
President of the USC hater club
Location: On the golf course because......well, I'm the golf coach.

Post by Laxplayer »

It is also very clear why Cal chooses to bus their team between the Bay Area and LA.
Does than mean when they lose those games they blame it on bus lag?
M2
2005 Cryin' Ryan Winner

Post by M2 »

Ahhh, the initial attempt at a derail in the first post and the follow-up post falling right in line (sheep).

R-Jack wrote:
M2 wrote:

Try reading the map you posted again you stupid fuck. They aren't even #1 in the state.

This was such a softball that I thought the first to bite would come from SEC country. Well, it kinda did, being that "Rodeo" is the bay area's version of SEC country.

Note: I stated "school" and not football factory. Can anyone with a straight face... actually call the very few teams ranked higher than Cal, schools ?

Yeah, I didn't think so.

I stand by my original statement.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

M2 wrote:Can anyone with a straight face... actually call the very few teams ranked higher than Cal, schools ?

vsdohrwghowbr gwrjopwgrpgrpupurwg qfenivwy piimbew!!!!!!!!

Sin,
JJ Arrington
I got 99 problems but the 'vid ain't one
R-Jack
Non Sequitur Legend

Post by R-Jack »

M2 wrote: Note: I stated "school" and not football factory. Can anyone with a straight face... actually call the very few teams ranked higher than Cal, schools ?
47% graduation rate says what?

http://m.espn.go.com/general/blogs/blog ... rc=desktop
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

R-Jack wrote:

It says someone just got clowned.
M2
2005 Cryin' Ryan Winner

Post by M2 »

R-Jack wrote:
M2 wrote: Note: I stated "school" and not football factory. Can anyone with a straight face... actually call the very few teams ranked higher than Cal, schools ?

One of the many reasons I had Fatfurd fired.

This is actually a good example of the integrity of the school, where grade inflation is not the norm... whereas, Stanfurd, Northwestern, U$C, and other private institutions that do not give access to grades inflate said grades at a staggering rate.

At Cal, it's sink or swim.

With my recent hiring of ...

I made it perfectly clear that this would be unacceptable, and as you can see, the gpa's of the recent recruits are beyond outstanding.

Oh yeah, it might just be a tad more challenging for student athletes at Cal than other institutions... being that academically it's considered one of the top 5 Universities in the World on a yearly basis.

http://www.timeshighereducation.co.uk/w ... on-ranking

http://www.shanghairanking.com/ARWU2012.html
M2
2005 Cryin' Ryan Winner

Post by M2 »

Jsc810 wrote:Is this when you claim you were recruited by Cal to play football?

Or is that later in the pile on?

You're not very good at this... are you ?

Sin,

Shaq and DeVry University
Killian
Good crossing pattern target

Post by Killian »

It's easy to win arguments when you constantly move the goal posts.
"Well, my wife assassinated my sexual identity, and my children are eating my dreams." -Louis CK
Mikey
Carbon Neutral since 1955

Post by Mikey »

Screw_Michigan wrote:Cal scrambling to cover stadium bill

Stanford built their new stadium for a total cost of around $90 million, pretty much all paid for upfront.

Completed on the site of the old stadium, demolition and construction were completed in less than 10 months, between the end of the 2005 season and the beginning of the 2006 season.

Cal football is an embarrassment to every resident of the state, in just about every aspect you could come up with.
R-Jack
Non Sequitur Legend

Post by R-Jack »

M2 wrote:

Oh yeah, it might just be a tad more challenging for student athletes at Cal than other institutions... being that academically it's considered one of the top 5 Universities in the World on a yearly basis.

So what you're saying is that Cal has been bringing players into the program that are not up to par academically? Kinda sounds like a football factory to me.

You suck at this toolio. Even a Cal football player could figure that out.
M2
2005 Cryin' Ryan Winner

Post by M2 »

R-Jack wrote:
M2 wrote:

So what you're saying is that Cal has been bringing players into the program that are not up to par academically? Kinda sounds like a football factory to me.

You suck at this toolio. Even a Cal football player could figure that out.

Actually, you're not bright enough to realize that half of the college students in this country never end up getting a degree.

Study: Nearly Half Of America’s College Students Drop Out Before Receiving A Degree

http://thinkprogress.org/education/2012 ... ?mobile=nc

The Harvard study’s assertions are supported by data collected by the Organization for Economic Co-operation and Development for its report “Education at a Glance 2010.” Among 18 countries tracked by the OECD, the United States finished last (46 percent) for the percentage of students who completed college once they started it. That puts the United States behind Japan (89 percent), and former Soviet-bloc states such as Slovakia (63 percent) and Poland (61 percent).

Hmmm.... looks like Cal is the only school being honest about academics. The football factory's just pass them on through and odds are they never have to attend class.

Not the case at Cal.
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

Papa Willie wrote:heterophobic
You had to look that one up, didn't you?
I was actually going to to join in the best bets activity here at good ole T1B...The guy that runs that contest is a fucking prick
You are truly one of the worst pieces of shit to ever post on this board. Start giving up your paycheck for reparations now and then you can shut the fuck up about your racist blasts.
Killian
Good crossing pattern target

Post by Killian »

Jsc810 wrote:Yeah he moves the goal posts. But even so, what argument has he won?
Ask him which ones he's lost.

mBitch, how many Cal students don't finish school once they start? My guess is less than 10%, which would still be high at a reputable school.
"Well, my wife assassinated my sexual identity, and my children are eating my dreams." -Louis CK
Left Seater

Post by Left Seater »

M2 wrote:
Actually, you're not bright enough to realize that half of the college students in this country never end up getting a degree.

Study: Nearly Half Of America’s College Students Drop Out Before Receiving A Degree

http://thinkprogress.org/education/2012 ... ?mobile=nc

The Harvard study’s assertions are supported by data collected by the Organization for Economic Co-operation and Development for its report “Education at a Glance 2010.” Among 18 countries tracked by the OECD, the United States finished last (46 percent) for the percentage of students who completed college once they started it. That puts the United States behind Japan (89 percent), and former Soviet-bloc states such as Slovakia (63 percent) and Poland (61 percent).

Actually it looks like you are the one who is not bright enough to understand. Typical.

From your posted link and the supporting link inside that story:
The failure to complete a college education in the United States is especially marked at four-year private for-profit schools, where 78 percent of attendees fail to get a diploma after six years, according to a 2011 report from the National Center for Education Statistics.

That compares with 35 percent of students in nonprofit private schools and 45 percent of students in public colleges who failed to graduate after six years.
The largest four year for profit private schools are:

American InterContinental University
The Art Institutes
Art Institute of Pittsburgh
Capella University
DeVry University
Fashion Institute of Design & Merchandising (FIDM)
Heald College
ITT Technical Institute
Kaplan College
Kaplan University
Miami International University of Art & Design
National American University
Pittsburgh Technical Institute
Post University
San Joaquin Valley College
Strayer University
University of Phoenix

Par for the course for you though to use ITT Tech numbers to inflate your argument.

Also from your linked article:
Reasons for dropping out included: not being prepared for the rigors of academic work; inability to cope with the competing demands of study, family and jobs; and cost, the Harvard report says.
Hmmm, none of those are issues scholarship football players have to deal with as compared to the regular student population.

Scholarship athletes have full time tutors available 24/7, semester progress reports from the profs to the athletic dept, test banks, and the ability to select any class at any time they want. They are in far better position to handle the rigors of the academic work.

Scholarship athletes don't have to worry about jobs, period. If they have a wife and or kid(s) those folks are taken care of as well as far as housing and meals go.

Scholarship athletes have zero cost to worry about.

M2 wrote: Hmmm.... looks like Cal is the only school being honest about academics. The football factory's just pass them on through and odds are they never have to attend class.

Not the case at Cal.
Right :meds:

USMA and USNA might disagree with you for starters.

But hey let's look to one of Cal's former students:
Aaron Rodgers wrote:I'm in this food appreciation class, and there's about 10 football players in the class of 200. Two teachers teaching it — they kind of alternated — anyway, there were breakout classes as well of about 30 that you were in where you went over your papers and got your homework assignments and stuff.
Food appreciation is a real class at Cal. :lol: Nothing more needs to be said.
R-Jack
Non Sequitur Legend

Post by R-Jack »

Left Seater wrote: American InterContinental University
The Art Institutes
Capella University
DeVry University
Heald College
ITT Technical Institute
Kaplan College
Kaplan University
Post University
Strayer University
University of Phoenix
We're laughing at toolio in this thread Lefty, not discussing the SEC's OOC schedule.
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Post by MgoBlue-LightSpecial »

Well, with all that NFL talent, certainly the trophy cases in Berkeley must be over stuffed with Pac 12 championships and BCS bowl wins...
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

M2 wrote: The football factory's just pass them on through and odds are they never have to attend class.
Pretty sure this one never got out of continuation school.
The Seer
Just the Facts

Post by The Seer »

Papa Willie wrote:Considering Cali pretty much has about TWICE as many people LIVING in it as the other states you mentioned, you inbred, cock-tweaking heterophobic faggot - it really wasn't too hard to figure out. :lol:
Subtract asians & indians and the math changes.
E UNUM PLURIBUS
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Remember, Toodles is touting the academic superiority of a school/team who accepted a certain RB who couldn't read and write (we know this, because a certain other PAC school had to write dude's LOI for him, since he couldn't... and kinda racked up a major violation for it... ooops. Yet the school that signed the illiterate who was obviously academically ineligible suffered no repercussions, which is ponderous).
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Post by MgoBlue-LightSpecial »

Papa Willie wrote:I actually came up with it while I was seeing a faggot
:shock:
M2
2005 Cryin' Ryan Winner

Post by M2 »

Dinsdale wrote:Remember, Toodles is touting the academic superiority of a school/team who accepted a certain RB who couldn't read and write (we know this, because a certain other PAC school had to write dude's LOI for him, since he couldn't... and kinda racked up a major violation for it... ooops. Yet the school that signed the illiterate who was obviously academically ineligible suffered no repercussions, which is ponderous).

Yeah, don't let the FACTS get in the way of "the truth".

Looks like the only illiterate... was a certain coach on the cal state eugene staff.

Outstanding.

Oregon was in a battle with California for Arrington's services at the time of the violations. On the last night a junior college player could sign, Arrington told Oregon assistant Gary Campbell that he would sign a letter of intent.

However, the midnight deadline passed and Arrington still had not signed. Furthermore, Arrington told Campbell that he had changed his mind and wanted to attend California. Campbell went to the hotel where Arrington was staying, and the player forged his father's signature and falsified the time on the letter of intent.

Oregon released Arrington upon discovering the violations. Campbell, who has been an Oregon assistant for 20 years, was suspended for one week without pay and was not allowed to recruit off-campus for one year.

Oregon Is Handed Two-Year Probation - Los Angeles Times
http://articles.latimes.com/2004/jun/24 ... p-oregon24

Remember, JJ was smart enough to go to Cal and not cal state eugene. The pretty much makes him smarter than any cal state eugene student right off the bat.
M2
2005 Cryin' Ryan Winner

Post by M2 »

Jsc810 wrote:
MgoBlue-LightSpecial wrote:Well, with all that NFL talent, certainly the trophy cases in Berkeley must be over stuffed with Pac 12 championships and BCS bowl wins...
This.

This has been discussed so many times, that it's almost not worth repeating.

Actually, it has even been hinted to in this thread.
M2
2005 Cryin' Ryan Winner

Post by M2 »

Mikey wrote:
Screw_Michigan wrote:Cal scrambling to cover stadium bill

Stanford built their new stadium for a total cost of around $90 million, pretty much all paid for upfront.

Completed on the site of the old stadium, demolition and construction were completed in less than 10 months, between the end of the 2005 season and the beginning of the 2006 season.

Cal football is an embarrassment to every resident of the state, in just about every aspect you could come up with.

Get back to me when you "Google" and find out why you're a complete idiot.

Did you even have a point in this post ?
M2
2005 Cryin' Ryan Winner

Post by M2 »

Left Seater wrote:But hey let's look to one of Cal's former students:
Aaron Rodgers wrote:I'm in this food appreciation class, and there's about 10 football players in the class of 200. Two teachers teaching it — they kind of alternated — anyway, there were breakout classes as well of about 30 that you were in where you went over your papers and got your homework assignments and stuff.
Food appreciation is a real class at Cal. :lol: Nothing more needs to be said.

Aaron Rodgers had a 3.9 GPA in HS and scored 1300+ on his SATs.

It's best if you do your homework before you open your mouth, my extra large friend.
Carson
2012 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by Carson »

M2 wrote:
Jsc810 wrote:
MgoBlue-LightSpecial wrote:Well, with all that NFL talent, certainly the trophy cases in Berkeley must be over stuffed with Pac 12 championships and BCS bowl wins...
This.
This has been discussed so many times, that it's almost not worth repeating.

Actually, it has even been hinted to in this thread.
Deal with it, twerp.

You're the masochist of the BTPCFB forum.

...and Cal is the masochist of CFB.
M2
2005 Cryin' Ryan Winner

Post by M2 »

Papa Willie wrote:Seriously - what's the first word that comes to your mind when you hear the word "Berkeley"?

I would imagine that 90% of the country would say "GAY".

That's funny...

Cal football players are well known for pulling the hottest chicks on the planet.

Hell, brother Asomugha just recently got married to one.

Brains and beauty to match his brains and brawn. Kerry apparently graduated Phi Beta Kappa from GWU double-majoring in anthropology and sociology.
Left Seater

Post by Left Seater »

M2 wrote: Aaron Rodgers had a 3.9 GPA in HS and scored 1300+ on his SATs.
Link?

Further, you missed the point yet again. This isn't about Aaron, rather it is a statement on Cal and the types of classes football players take.

For two seconds let's assume you are correct on his HS transcript, what you are then saying is his HS was more academically challenging than Cal. :lol:
M2
2005 Cryin' Ryan Winner

Post by M2 »

Left Seater wrote:Further, you missed the point yet again.

No. You have actually missed the point of this thread

Left Seater wrote: This isn't about Aaron, rather it is a statement on Cal and the types of classes football players take.

Really ?

Then the post right above yours must have splattered your brains all over the pavement.

The Cal "football player" (Nnamdi Asomugha)... graduated with a Degree in Corporate finance.

But don't let the facts get in the way of your reality.
Left Seater

Post by Left Seater »

He damn well should have, when food appreciation is a for credit class.
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

She's "moderately" attractive.
Harvdog
Eternal Scobode

Post by Harvdog »

Milton.....don't run Education smack against a Rice grad. You will lose every time.

And since Cal has 44 players in the NFL, shouldn't they have a Conference title to show for it? But the Emerald Bowl and the Armed Forces Bowl trophies show the dominance of not developing talent and winning games when it matters. Nice job.
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

M2 wrote: Kerry apparently graduated Phi Beta Kappa from GWU double-majoring in anthropology and sociology.
Did she play for Kal?
The Seer
Just the Facts

Post by The Seer »

R-Jack wrote:
Left Seater wrote: American InterContinental University
The Art Institutes
Capella University
DeVry University
Heald College
ITT Technical Institute
Kaplan College
Kaplan University
Post University
Strayer University
University of Phoenix
We're laughing at toolio in this thread Lefty, not discussing the SEC's OOC schedule.

:bode:
E UNUM PLURIBUS
FLW Buckeye
2014 T1B FBBL Champ

Post by FLW Buckeye »

^
^

Lol...that'll rack! Fuck you, Grammar Nazis!