Rules quiz...

Fuck Jim Delany

Moderators: 88BuckeyeGrad, Left Seater, buckeye_in_sc

Left Seater
36,000 ft above the chaos

Rules quiz...

Post by Left Seater »

So the season is just around the corner and as officials we are taking test after test of the rules. I figured I would post a few of them here for you guys to discuss/argue/bitch about. Frozen Sooner used to be the clear champ at these but since he isn't around anymore someone else can claim the title. Smackie?

Situation:

Kal is kicking to Oregon State to open the second half. The scoreboard reads Kal 0 Oregon State 35, but we all know that Kal is winning.

Kal kicks the ball deep near the sideline where the Oregon State player catches the kick at the 5 yard line. The Oregon State player's right foot is touching the sideline as he makes the catch of the kickoff. Where is the ball next put in play? What is the clock status?
Moving Sale wrote:I really are a fucking POS.
Softball Bat wrote: I am the dumbest motherfucker ever to post on the board.
Terry in Crapchester
2012 March Madness Champ

Re: Rules quiz...

Post by Terry in Crapchester »

Ball is put in play at the 5-yard line. No time off the clock.

I think.
War Wagon wrote:The first time I click on one of your youtube links will be the first time.
Left Seater

Post by Left Seater »

Terry in Crapchester wrote: I think.
Not picking on you here Terry, just that that quote made me chuckle.

Back when I was a rookie official one of our trainers said something that still stays with me to this day. "The game is far to fast for you to try to think your way around the field. If you think you saw something, you didn't. If you pause to think something over, too late, just move on. If you know you saw something then your flag isn't in your belt anyway, it is already laying on the field."
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

I know this has never happened before, but I concur with Terry.
Goober McTuber wrote:One last post...
Killian
Good crossing pattern target

Post by Killian »

Oregon State gets the ball at the 35 yardline (kick was technically out of bounds) and no time off the clock.
"Well, my wife assassinated my sexual identity, and my children are eating my dreams." -Louis CK
Left Seater

Post by Left Seater »

Killian is correct, but left out one of Oregon State's options. The covering official would have dropped a flag for the kick out of bounds and sounded his whistle as soon as the Oregon State player touched the ball. Option 1 would be the one Killian listed which is to take the ball 30 yards from where it was kicked. Option 2 is to move Kal back 5 yards and have them rekick. Technically there is a third option, but the crew wouldn't even present it because it doesn't make sense, OSU ball five yards from where the kick went out of bounds.
Killian

Post by Killian »

Gah, forgot about the rekick because almost everyone elects to take the ball at the 35. Damnit!

-edit-

Why the fuck is that last option even an option?
"Well, my wife assassinated my sexual identity, and my children are eating my dreams." -Louis CK
Left Seater

Post by Left Seater »

It is an option because it would make sense in some cases.

Take for example the same situation described above (time and score) but Kal tried an Onsides kick to start the half. The ball was caugh by an Oregon State player at the 50 while touching the sideline. The only real option here is for OSU to take the ball at the Kal 45. They aren't going to rekick and they aren't going to take it back at their own 35.
Killian

Post by Killian »

Makes sense. I just assumed that in that instance, OSU would just elect to take the ball where it went out of bounds.

So theoretically, if Kal's kicker just shanked the shit out of it, going out of bounds at the 40, OSU would get the ball at the 45?
Left Seater

Post by Left Seater »

Killian wrote: So theoretically, if Kal's kicker just shanked the shit out of it, going out of bounds at the 40, OSU would get the ball at the 45?

So here is an example of where rules questions can get dicey. Above you say out of bounds at the 40. Problem is there are two 40s. We also didnt establish were the free kick restraining line was. I am going to assume you meant the kicker shanked it and it went out of bounds after traveling 25 yards from the 35 yard line of Kal. In that case you are correct that OSU would get it at their 45. However, if it only traveled 5 yards to the Kal 40, then OSU would get it at the Kal 35, or same spot where it was kicked.