Good win for Hawkeyes

The Madness isn't confined to March here!

Moderators: the_ouskull, helmet, Shine

Mace
Eternal Scobode

Re: Good win for Hawkeyes

Post by Mace »

Iowa's kickin' the shit out of the Gophers and will move into a 6th place tie in the B1G. NCAA hopes are still alive. Marble finally returned to form last weekend and has continued to play at a high level. Eric May is showing some senior leadership coming off the bench. They're putting it all together and need to beat Nebraska on the road this Thursday. Weather permitting, I'll be in Lincoln Thursday night to watch the Hawkeyes continue their quest for a tourney bid. Probably need to win at least one game at the B1G tournament in addition to beating Nebraska twice and a home game with Illinois. Still doubtful if they can beat the Hoosiers on the road.
Mace
Eternal Scobode

Post by Mace »

The Husker game being rescheduled to Saturday due to weather helped me score great tickets for the game at face value. Didn't realize Big Red fans could be so generous. Hawkeye fans will be there in force on Saturday and it will hopefully be a Carver-Hawkeye West atmosphere.

Road wins are tough to come by, even at Nebraska, so the Hawks will need their "A" game to prevail and continue on their quest to reach the Big Dance. A 5-1 finish to the conference season is attainable and would give them a better matchup in the B1G tournament to at least win their first round game. An unlikely win over the Hoosiers on the road would sel the deal and get Iowa back to the NCAA tournament. Fran McCaffery is getting it done and Iowa basketball is actually something to get excited about again. Long gone are the days of Todd Lickliter.
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Post by MgoBlue-LightSpecial »

Brutal loss today, Mace. Up by 16 at the half to Nebraska and you lose the game? Iowa can officially kiss their tournament hopes goodbye.
Mace
Eternal Scobode

Post by Mace »

I'm not sure how you blow a 19 point lead to a bad team but the Hawkeyes managed to do it. Brutal, it was. Iowa only made 7 FGs in the second half and, for whatever reason, went to a man defense when the matchup zone was shutting the Huskers down. A horrendous second half by the Hawkeyes and they're far more likely to be hosting a NIT game than making an appearance in the Big Dance. This is depressing.
M2
2005 Cryin' Ryan Winner

Post by M2 »

Should've had Roy's kid guard Talley... he would've never got the shot off.

MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Props to Ohio State today. They played the better 2nd half and deserved to win. This looks like a tired MSU team, especially Keith Appling. Big Ten title is out the window, it's all about playing for seeding now.
buckeye_in_sc
Eternal Scobode

Post by buckeye_in_sc »

tough to win in the B1G on the road as we all have talked about...

I am sure Cal would run roughshod over the B1G...
M Club
el capitán

Post by M Club »

Michigan looked a hell of a lot better with Jordan Morgan back on the court. I'll call them Final Four-caliber, though by Final Four I mean the BTT semis.
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

WOLVIE NOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Losing to 0-14 Penn State. Ouch.
M Club
el capitán

Post by M Club »

MgoBlue-LightSpecial wrote:WOLVIE NOOOOOOOOOOOO!

Losing to 0-14 Penn State. Ouch.
They only lost because PSU played like a 1-14 team.

Michigan supposedly doesn't have an elite defender, which is code for no one wants to put in that effort. WTF, isn't there some scrappy white boy on the team dying for PT?
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

Wasn't like Michigan wasn't hitting their shots (51.7% from the floor) and they beat them on the glass but Penn State was over 50% from the outside. Should've seen this coming since they gave them a test in Ann Arbor over a week ago.

A growing concern is shaky shooting from the line...only 65% last night and they're just a touch over 70% as a team. None of the bigs can shoot from the stripe worth a lick. I hope this is a wakeup call...they've got to avenge that 23-point spanking from Sparty.
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

M Club wrote:Michigan supposedly doesn't have an elite defender, which is code for no one wants to put in that effort. WTF, isn't there some scrappy white boy on the team dying for PT?

Code for they've replaced Novak and Douglass from a shooting perspective with Stauskas but not on the defensive end. Their perimeter defense has been suspect most of the season...Penn State couldn't miss from the outside yesterday. They better fix it quick because Harris will rain threes on them on Sunday.
Mace
Eternal Scobode

Post by Mace »

Hawkeyes travel to Indiana tomorrow night and, if that weren't enough of a challenge, they'll be without freshman point guard, Mike Gesell, who is now out for the remainder of the season with a foot injury. The offense was out of sync without him in the Purdue game but hopefully they'll be more prepared tomorrow. Not expecting a miracle in Bloomington...just hoping for one. I expect the Hawks to struggle against Illinois next week too, but at least it's in Carver, as is the finale against the fucking Huskers.
M Club
el capitán

Post by M Club »

Shoalzie wrote: I hope this is a wakeup call...they've got to avenge that 23-point spanking from Sparty.
I don't see how Michigan wins this one unless all of 40 things happen. Basically:

- Questionable calls against MSU put Payne and Nix on the bench for most of the game

- Stauskus stops being the same headcase Hardaway was last year

- Appling continues turning the ball over 19 times a game

- MSU shoots poorly from the line

- Robinson finds some testicles in his dorm room

I feel like MSU should run away with this game but a big run halfway through the 2nd half will get Michigan back into it. That and some extreme stat (MSU turnovers, UM 3-pt shooting) will make the game seem more competitive than it actually is.
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Michigan may have some matchup problems with MSU, but I think they'll get this one at home. Conference roadies against good teams is a death knell this year for people not named Indiana.
M Club
el capitán

Post by M Club »

I certainly hope you're right, but Michigan's been a bit of a paper tiger this year. Their success feels similar to watching Dickrod-era Denard tear up UConn and Indiana then disappear against OSU, so until they actually beat a "tough" team I'll just assume they're going to lose. Is actually okay, I suppose, compared to the last 20 years.
Mace
Eternal Scobode

Post by Mace »

Some of the pundits are saying Iowa still has a chance to make the Big Dance with home wins over Illinois and Nebraska....neither being locks, especially with Mike Gesell being out for the season. I'm not particularly comfortable with McCafferey moving Marble to the point and Josh Oglesby as the 2 guard, and would prefer Anthony Clemmons at the point, but that's why Fran makes the big bucks and I don't.

I think the NIT would be more likely and that the Hawks could make a run there, giving them more practice time and games with a young team than a one and done scenario in the NCAA's.
M Club
el capitán

Post by M Club »

M Club wrote: I feel like MSU should run away with this game but a big run halfway through the 2nd half will get Michigan back into it. That and some extreme stat (MSU turnovers, UM 3-pt shooting) will make the game seem more competitive than it actually is.
Er, good call on my part, even if it was the opposite of what I meant?

I hate the Big Ten and its inability to determine a champion, ever*. Assuming everyone wins the games they should (a precarious assumption, I know) and Michigan beats Indiana, that means I have to root for MSU against Wisconsin, otherwise I have to root for OSU to beat Indiana since Wisco would win all tie-breakers in a Wisco-IU-Umich co-championship, whereas including either MSU or OSU in that mix would make it far too convoluted to tease out. Sigh.

*Except last year when we were clearly the third-best of the three co-champions, but still, BANNER!
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

When they lost to Penn State, they lost the priviledge to win the conference title (yet, they still might get a share of the title)...they're playing for seeding in the conference tourney right now. To be fair, it would be cool to see them run the table at Crisler...
Mace
Eternal Scobode

Post by Mace »

Good home win last night for the Hawkeyes to keep their NCAA hopes on life support. They've got Nebraska at home on Saturday and then wait to see how the other conference games play out before seedings for the B1G tournament. Beating Nebraska on Saturday would likely mean facing them in the first round in Chicago. Hawks need to win at least two games in the tourney to have any chance for the NCAA but will likely face Sparty in the second round. NIT is more likely and would probably do more for this young team than a one and done in the NCAA's.
M Club
el capitán

Post by M Club »

Shoalzie wrote:When they lost to Penn State, they lost the priviledge to win the conference title (yet, they still might get a share of the title)...they're playing for seeding in the conference tourney right now. To be fair, it would be cool to see them run the table at Crisler...
Do you just type words to see what they look like on screen? I bet you love your mother because she's your mother.

Iowa could end up 6th in the conference. That should get them in, non?
Mace
Eternal Scobode

Post by Mace »

Facing the Huskers today in the regular season finale and Senior Day. Eric May has had a great senior season and I'm hoping that he'll get the opportunity to play in his first NCAA Tournament. Conference Tourney next week will likely decide Iowa's tourney fate, so for now, Nebraska is the task at hand.

Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

Minnesota throwing up a stinker in their bid to finish .500 but I'd still lean towards putting them in the tournament over Iowa right now. That win over Indiana for the Gophers has to count for something. Out of conference, the Gophers best win is against Memphis...Iowa has their in-state win over the Cyclones. They've each beaten Illinois...the Gophers won in Champaign. Both split with Wisconsin. Iowa hasn't gotten too hot or too cold in league...no worse than a 3-game streak either way.

If Iowa takes care of business, the conference probably is looking at 8 teams unless some wacky stuff happens in the 2-or-less bid conference tourneys. Illinois is limping to the finish line but a win in Columbus would do them well. They've got wins over Butler and Gonzaga (and a close win over Indiana)...I think they can still get in even with a sub-.500 record in the conference. For Illinois and Minnesota, they could use a couple of wins to essentially even their record in the B1G.

Indiana (and maybe Michigan if they win Sunday) are playing for #1 seeds. Michigan winning tomorrow would give them 5 of their last 6 and they would've avenged two of their earlier losses and they'd have the perfect home record. In the case of a shared conference title, you have to think the team with the better showing in the tourney will break any ties for a #1. Michigan State looks like a good candidate for a #2 (or #3 at worst). Ohio State winning Sunday to finish the regular season on a 5-game streak including wins over Minnesota, Indiana, State and (potentially) Illinois could put them up at a #2. Wisconsin getting smoked in Breslin drops them down a few notches...maybe a #5 at this point.
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

I wouldn't count out MSU on that 1 line just yet. Due to their RPI and SOS (which the committee gets a boner over), they would be in pretty good shape for a 1 seed IF they can nab a share of the Big Ten title, and run the table in the Big Ten tourney. I mean, if doing those two things in the toughest conference doesn't get you a 1 then the system is fucked. That said...1, 2 or 3, I don't care. It's all about the draw and matchups. Ask me how valuable a 1 seed was last year (although losing Dawson to an ACL didn't help matters). It's definitely possible they could have an easier path as a 2 than a 1 and still get to play at the Palace.

I don't see Iowa getting in unless they make a deep run in the conf tourney as well as getting some help from some of the smaller conference teams not stealing bids. Their RPI is the suck and have maybe 2-3 quality wins.

Sorry Mace. Just telling it like it is.
Mace
Eternal Scobode

Post by Mace »

I agree with you, MGO, and think they'll be hosting an NIT game or two....barring, as you said, a deep run in the B1G Tourney, which I don't see happening either. A win today will give them the #6 seed and a game with Northwestern in the first round, and likely Michigan in the second. I don't like their chances of making it to the 3rd round but they'll have to if they want to dance. As a Cub fan I'm used to saying "wait 'til next year."
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Mace wrote:I agree with you, MGO, and think they'll be hosting an NIT game or two....barring, as you said, a deep run in the B1G Tourney, which I don't see happening either. A win today will give them the #6 seed and a game with Northwestern in the first round, and likely Michigan in the second. I don't like their chances of making it to the 3rd round but they'll have to if they want to dance. As a Cub fan I'm used to saying "wait 'til next year."
Iowa is a strange team. They're the type that's good enough to beat Indiana and simultaneously bad enough to lose to Nebraska four days later. They have some talent but no consistency. I think Fran's a solid coach though and will have them tournament bound next year. I still remember the chair slam from the game at the Breslin last year. :lol: He's kind of the unassuming accountant looking dude but has some real fire to him.
Mace
Eternal Scobode

Post by Mace »

Yeah, Fran can get a little fired up. I sat behind the bench in Lincoln and he was dropping F-bombs at the officials during the Husker's second half run. As for next season, they only lose May, and will get the Uthoff kid who transferred in from Wisky and Peter Jok, who will be a freshman from West Des Moines. Jok was considered one of the top HS players in the country and getting compared to Harrison Barnes prior to blowing out his knee and having surgery, which scared off Roy Williams and others. From what I've seen of him this year, he's fully recovered, is pretty physical, and can shoot lights out. Time will tell.
M Club
el capitán

Post by M Club »

D day. Calling my shots:

Michigan wins by 10+.
Northwestern stuns Sparty at the buzzer.
Illinois beats OSU by I don't know how many points but who really cares.

Sorry, this trophy is an honorable lady. Will do a three-way but is insulted that you'd even mention an orgy.

If OSU stuns the world Iowa will be 100% in the tourney assuming they win their opening BTT game. 6th place in the best conference in the universe > RPI
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

It's more a product of the imbalance in the schedules in that you don't play everyone the same number of games but the knock against Iowa's 9-9 record is that they played the top 5 teams in the conference just 7 times and went 1-6. Illinois has the game with Ohio State today and went 2-5 so far against the top 5. Minnesota finished a solid 4-5 against the top 5.

Iowa went 2-1 against Illinois and Minnesota but a lot of their wins are against the rump teams in the conference...Purdue, Nebraska, Northwestern and Penn State. 6-2 against those bottom 4 teams. They don't have as many quality wins in conference as a team like Minnesota if it came down to who had the better overall season. Illlinois beating Ohio State today would give them a sweep of the Buckeyes and a 3rd win against the top 5 in the conference.

I wouldn't put Iowa in over Illinois and Minnesota but the fact they went .500 should get them in with those other teams. Given the strength of the league this year...an 8-10 can carry some weight over a .500 record in any other major conference. I wouldn't put a .500 team in the A-10 over a team in the B1G that went 8-10. I really don't see a team from any other major conference with a below .500 record getting in.
Mace
Eternal Scobode

Post by Mace »

Props to the Hoosiers for winning the B1G outright.....and seriously dodging a bullet at the end of the game.
M Club
el capitán

Post by M Club »

Dodging bullets is easier than dodging whatever Michigan was throwing from the free throw line.
Mace
Eternal Scobode

Post by Mace »

Yep, Michigan had chances to put them away and didn't do it.

Iowa faces NW, MSU, and probably OSU....assuming the Hawks can win the first two. Looking forward to Thursday and the beginning of March Madness.
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

On the bright side, the Wolverines get a rubber match with Penn State...I can stop beating them up over that loss come Thursday. Plus, they can avenge the loss in Madison in the second round. A couple wins should get them back in the discussion for a #2 seed.
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

Mace wrote:Iowa faces NW, MSU, and probably OSU....assuming the Hawks can win the first two. Looking forward to Thursday and the beginning of March Madness.

I think you're in for sure if you can knock off Sparty...
M Club
el capitán

Post by M Club »

Shoalzie wrote:On the bright side, the Wolverines get a rubber match with Penn State...I can stop beating them up over that loss come Thursday. Plus, they can avenge the loss in Madison in the second round. A couple wins should get them back in the discussion for a #2 seed.
People have mentioned the trail of revenge Michigan can lay waste to, but who the ffffff finds solace in getting one back against Penn State or Wisco? I might be able to buy that story line were we actually capable of making a run in any sort of tourney, but what's the use in accidentally beating IU only to get our asses handed to us by State?

This team is horribly deficient against quality competition. I don't know what it is about team-wide ADHD, but if they focus at all on playing actual defense then they forget how to rebound, and vice versa. Figure fundamentals would become subconscious eventually. Feel free, any three players at one time, to have a decent game as well.

I'm a little curious as to why Michigan's revolving door of warm-bodied bigs were trying to cut Zeller off from the key. "By all means, 7 ft guy with ball-handling skills, take the baseline; there's no help there."

Not often we have a player as good as Burke, but I think it may be a bit of addition by subtraction next year. I actually liked seeing Albrecht out there when the offense would stall and Burke was the only one hitting shots, so don't mind him running the point while Walton gets acclimated. Plus, imagine the sophomore jump Stauskus (headcase), McGary (ritalin), and LaVert (protein bars) should make. Guess a lot depends on whether Hardaway or Robinson decide to leave. THJ's definitely not NBA caliber, but you can never tell what these fucks think about their game; and Robinson will get drafted on pure potential even though he obviously could use the seasoning.

Best team we've had before I could legally drink and it got us...a 5 seed.
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

Part of it probably had to do with playing on home court but having a healthy Morgan helped in the Sparty and Hoosier matchups the 2nd time around.

Their frantic pace doesn't do them any favors...see the first 5 or so minutes of yesterday. They don't look like a team that can play half-court either since none of the bigs have a low post game that resembles Payne or Zeller. They can't just settle for open looks on the perimeter and put backs aren't always there since they're not the strongest team on the offensive glass.

If they can't force turnovers, score easy buckets in transition and hit enough 3s...they're very vulnerable heading into the tournament. They've got enough beef down low to handle some small conference upstarts but they'll have problems with any of the big conference elite. I've mentioned the issues from the free throw line before and missing the front half of a 1-and-1 when you're trying to seal up a win...that's another reason they can be bounced early. The game on before IU-Michigan...I see a team like Creighton that plays a structured style and can hit shots from the outside...I'd worry about a matchup like that.
M Club
el capitán

Post by M Club »

Shoalzie wrote: Their frantic pace doesn't do them any favors...see the first 5 or so minutes of yesterday. They don't look like a team that can play half-court either since none of the bigs have a low post game that resembles Payne or Zeller. They can't just settle for open looks on the perimeter and put backs aren't always there since they're not the strongest team on the offensive glass.
Aish, they should be fine with the drive and kick considering all Beilein recruits are lanky dudes who can put it on the floor as well as hit 35% from 3. That and the pick and roll. Someone should be exploiting a mismatch so don't need a freak big like Zeller, just one that can hit a couple bunnies. Or the weight room. McGary could be that dude if he ever stood still long enough to think anything other than FOULFOULFOUL. This Donnal guy we have coming in looks promising, though standard disclaimers about 6'9" freshmen who weigh 220 lbs. Seriously, these fuckers know they're signing up for B1G basketball; can't they get a Crossfit membership or something the year in between committing and actually showing up on campus just so we can spend another year saying how good they'll be once they get in the gym and lift weights?
Mace
Eternal Scobode

Post by Mace »

Good game with Wisky-Michigan but Michigan is finding themselves in trouble by allowing Wisconsin to dictate the pace of the game. Badgers are killing them inside.
FLW Buckeye
2014 T1B FBBL Champ

Post by FLW Buckeye »

Wisky choking on cock now...was up by 12, now only 2.
Mace
Eternal Scobode

Post by Mace »

And now they've won. Always nice to see the Wolverines go down in defeat.....although I feel the same about Bo and the Badgers. Good game to watch.