Maryland off to B1G...

Fuck Jim Delany

Moderators: 88BuckeyeGrad, Left Seater, buckeye_in_sc

Left Seater
36,000 ft above the chaos

Maryland off to B1G...

Post by Left Seater »

Board voted today to move to the B1G. Looks like Rutgers will follow tomorrow and make the B1G 14 teams.

Not much of a loss for the ACC but a pretty big one for the Big East. Not sure this brings much to the B1G but television markets.

The part that is unsure is the date of Maryland's move. The Terps recently cut sports due to budget issues while at the same time the ACC just raised the exit fee to $50 Million. To pay this fee Maryland might need a loan from the B1G or elsewhere. They will try to negotiate it down but I don't see the ACC moving much since the Terps just agreed to it earlier this season.

One thing that is being discussed this morning is what these moves mean for UConn. Two unnamed sources on ESPN radio are saying that UConn had discussions about their future if Rutgers were to leave. Now that Rutgers is likely out I would think UConn will soon announce they will join the ACC. I can also see the ACC agreeing to lower the exit fee if Maryland pays UConn's Big East exit fee and UConn slides into Maryland's slot.

This then brings up the Louisville to Big XII talk and future Big East uncertainty. If UConn does leave the oldest football playing Big East member goes back as far as 2005. Add to that there would be no NYC football footprint and e Big East is further devalued.

I also understand this was being kicked around in another thread, but with the vote today I figured this deserved it's own thread.
Moving Sale wrote:I really are a fucking POS.
Softball Bat wrote: I am the dumbest motherfucker ever to post on the board.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Re: Maryland off to B1G...

Post by Dinsdale »

The next step in the "super conferences."

Not sure how I feel about that.

Louisville and maybe Cincinatti seem naturals for the B12, or the B1G. But to get to 16 teams, the B12 needs 4 more -- not sure who.

5 16-team conferences, maybe?

It's going to be a mess for a while. Will the PAC change their academic requirements and try to scoop up Boise St.? Nevada? I don't even know who else fits.
I got 99 problems but the 'vid ain't one
M Club
el capitán

Post by M Club »

Brilliant move by Delany. Can't be the 5th best BCS conference anymore if there are only 4.
Left Seater

Post by Left Seater »

:shock: :? :lol: :lol: :lol:
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

This begs the eternal question...is Maryland a Leader or a Legend?
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Post by MgoBlue-LightSpecial »

Does this mean ESPN will stop fellating Rutgers sports 24/7?

-Spray
Terry in Crapchester
2012 March Madness Champ

Post by Terry in Crapchester »

Lefty, one minor nit. Maryland voted against raising the exit fee, along with Florida State. Of course, they're still bound by it.

At least one source has said that the B1G is willing to pay at least part of Maryland's exit fee. http://washington.cbslocal.com/2012/11/ ... -vs-money/

I'll probably get hammered for saying this, but I think this is motivated, at least in part, by sour grapes over ND's decision not to join the B1G. They attempted to weaken (at least nominally) the new home for ND's non-football sports, and this move together with the expected fallout (ACC likely will add Louisville, UConn or both) weakens the Big East, which helped ND maintain its football independence so long as it was/is viable.
War Wagon wrote:The first time I click on one of your youtube links will be the first time.
Left Seater

Post by Left Seater »

If this is some sort of revenge on ND it hurts the Big East far more than the ACC. Seems strange to punish the Big East instead of the ACC for ND declining the invite. I think this is more a TV play to include larger markets. It can even be argued that UConn brings more to the ACC than does Maryland.

If this helps UConn and Louisville or Cincy depart the Big East, break out the life support systems.

Temple
South Florida
Houston
Central Florida
SMU
Memphis
Boise St
San Diego St
Navy

Not much of a draw for anyone outside of those schools. Just imagine the excitement SMU San Diego State will generate.
Goober McTuber
World Renowned Last Word Whore

Post by Goober McTuber »

Terry in Crapchester wrote:Lefty, one minor nit. Maryland voted against raising the exit fee, along with Florida State. Of course, they're still bound by it.

At least one source has said that the B1G is willing to pay at least part of Maryland's exit fee. http://washington.cbslocal.com/2012/11/ ... -vs-money/

I'll probably get hammered for saying this, but I think this is motivated, at least in part, by sour grapes over ND's decision not to join the B1G. They attempted to weaken (at least nominally) the new home for ND's non-football sports, and this move together with the expected fallout (ACC likely will add Louisville, UConn or both) weakens the Big East, which helped ND maintain its football independence so long as it was/is viable.
Yes, as always, it's all about Notre Dame. Now run along, and go fuck yourself.
Joe in PB wrote: Yeah I'm the dumbass
schmick, speaking about Larry Nassar's pubescent and prepubescent victims wrote: They couldn't even kick that doctors ass

Seems they rather just lay there, get fucked and play victim
MuchoBulls
Tremendous Slouch

Post by MuchoBulls »

The door is open for FSU/Clemson to the Big XII now, especially if Maryland is not paying $50 million to get out.
Dreams......Temporary Madness
Roger_the_Shrubber
Back-o-Matic

Post by Roger_the_Shrubber »

Mucho,

I like weed as much as the next guy. But please..............

FSU and Clemson will NEVER leave the ACC.

Put the pipe down.
What were we just talking about?
FLW Buckeye
2014 T1B FBBL Champ

Post by FLW Buckeye »

Goober McTuber wrote:
Terry in Crapchester wrote:Lefty, one minor nit. Maryland voted against raising the exit fee, along with Florida State. Of course, they're still bound by it.

Someone get Terry some new batteries for his tinfoil hat.

Sometimes, tardlet, it is about nothing more than the benjamins.
Bizzarofelice
I wanna be a bear

Post by Bizzarofelice »

is the notre dame still pissed because the big ten spurned their advances in the 30s because they weren't interested in some Catholics
why is my neighborhood on fire
MiketheangrydrunkenCUfan
Baby Bitch

Post by MiketheangrydrunkenCUfan »

Dinsdale wrote:But to get to 16 teams, the B12 needs 4 more -- not sure who.
They'd need six, actually. You must've made the ludicrous assumption that the conference name indicated the actual number of teams in the conference.

Funny thing is, I think the Big 12 actually owns the rights to the name "Big 14" as well. Too bad they seem to be headed in the opposite direction...
"Keys, woman!"
The Seer
Just the Facts

Post by The Seer »

Dinsdale wrote:The next step in the "super conferences."

It's going to be a mess for a while. Will the PAC change their academic requirements and try to scoop up Boise St.? Nevada? I don't even know who else fits.

Probably a BYU & Colorado St....that would give the newest members a geographical rival that the rest of the league enjoys...
E UNUM PLURIBUS
MiketheangrydrunkenCUfan
Baby Bitch

Post by MiketheangrydrunkenCUfan »

The Seer wrote:
Dinsdale wrote:The next step in the "super conferences."

Probably a BYU & Colorado St....that would give the newest members a geographical rival that the rest of the league enjoys...
I'd love to see the Rams come to the Pac, but I doubt it'll happen. They don't really bring anything to the table that CU doesn't (except maybe one more football win). I seem to remember BYU being resistant to joining the Pac because of the basketball scheduling. Apparently those wacky Mormons don't play sports on Sundays.

Boise would be awesome, but I know a lot of old-school Pac fans think they're not "big time" enough for the conference (both academically and facility-wise). I think that if Boise started making superconference money, you'd see their stadium capacity expand pretty quickly. UNLV seems more appealing than Nevada, due to the Las Vegas media market, but the stigma of being located in the sports gambling capital of the world probably still makes a lot of people wary...
"Keys, woman!"
Terry in Crapchester
2012 March Madness Champ

Left Seater wrote:If this is some sort of revenge on ND it hurts the Big East far more than the ACC.
True, but the Big East still has an impact on ND's future independence. A viable Big East provides more decentralization, which makes it easier for ND to remain independent.
War Wagon wrote:The first time I click on one of your youtube links will be the first time.
Terry in Crapchester
2012 March Madness Champ

FLW Buckeye wrote:
Goober McTuber wrote:

Keep thinking that. Unfortunately, your own bloggers disagree with you. http://hawkcentral.com/2012/11/19/harty ... o-suffice/
Harty blog: The Big Ten would prefer Notre Dame, but Maryland and Rutgers will have to suffice

With Maryland now on board and Rutgers reportedly set to follow on Tuesday, the Big Ten Conference is getting bigger, but not necessarily better.

The obvious answer for why Big Ten Commissioner Jim Delany went after those two East Coast schools is the potential money generated by the lucrative television markets from which they exist, and because Notre Dame keeps turning him down.
And considering Goober's own words earlier (this time in reference to this particular move) . . .
Goober McTuber wrote:Fuck Jim Delany.
. . . it would appear he's less than enthused over the prospect of Maryland and Rutgers joining his conference. But when called out on it, he gets defensive. Go figure.

It's your bed, Big Tenners. You made it. Now you have to sleep in it.
Bizzarofelice wrote:is the notre dame still pissed because the big ten spurned their advances in the 30s because they weren't interested in some Catholics
Actually, it was 1909 and 1924. And considering how that worked out for ND afterward, it was pretty much the textbook definition of a blessing in disguise. So no, at least I'm not pissed about it.

I do feel, however, that the Big Ten had its chance, and I'm a little pissed at the tards on ESPN who continuously spout off the "ND belongs in the Big Ten" drivel which the sheep lap up as gospel.
M Club
el capitán

Post by M Club »

Terry in Crapchester wrote: And considering Goober's own words earlier (this time in reference to this particular move) . . .
Goober McTuber wrote:Fuck Jim Delany.
. . . it would appear he's less than enthused over the prospect of Maryland and Rutgers joining his conference. But when called out on it, he gets defensive. Go figure.

It's your bed, Big Tenners. You made it. Now you have to sleep in it.
You know, it's entirely possible to think this has nothing to to with Notre Dame (because it doesn't) and everything to do with money (it does) while at the same time wishing for Jim Delany to die in the very same accident that takes out Screwy and Fatty McGeorgia. There are far better ways to tell ND to GFY.

No one's enthusiastic about this expansion. It brings absolutely nothing to the conference save even more Illinois-Indiana type matchups. I'm personally sooooooo excited that we will play Illinois every year but only go to Penn State once every decade or so. Whooo! I guess we get the DC and NYC markets, but whooo there as well since we already have the Chicago market and that's a rolleyes intimidating place to play...for the home team since the visitors end up accounting for at least half the fans in attendance.
Goober McTuber
World Renowned Last Word Whore

Post by Goober McTuber »

Terry in Crapchester wrote:
FLW Buckeye wrote:
Goober McTuber wrote:Yes, as always, it's all about Notre Dame. Now run along, and go fuck yourself.

Keep thinking that. Unfortunately, your own bloggers disagree with you. http://hawkcentral.com/2012/11/19/harty ... o-suffice/
Harty blog: The Big Ten would prefer Notre Dame, but Maryland and Rutgers will have to suffice

With Maryland now on board and Rutgers reportedly set to follow on Tuesday, the Big Ten Conference is getting bigger, but not necessarily better.

The obvious answer for why Big Ten Commissioner Jim Delany went after those two East Coast schools is the potential money generated by the lucrative television markets from which they exist, and because Notre Dame keeps turning him down.
It seems that the blogger actually agrees that it’s all about the money. Of course your assertion was that this was just a way to get back at Notre Dame. But if we're submitting blogs as evidence, counselor, there's this:
...Notre Dame and Texas. These two football giants are the two Delany targeted at the outset of the expansion extravaganza; sorry, Nebraska, we like you in the B1G, but you were not the original target. Rutgers and Maryland are mere selling points for these two powers, not because they add anything of substance on the competitive playing field but rather because of increased access to critical east coast markets. No way Delany retires with his final accomplishment being the addition of Rutgers and Maryland. He retires because he accompished his original goal: add important recruiting grounds, increase network value, and compete against what is shaping up to be 7-straight national title winner SEC... in short, add Texas and Notre Dame to the B1G fold. This is Delany's end game. Rutgers and Maryland are part of that end game.
http://www.elevenwarriors.com/forum/foo ... -which-are
Joe in PB wrote: Yeah I'm the dumbass
schmick, speaking about Larry Nassar's pubescent and prepubescent victims wrote: They couldn't even kick that doctors ass

Seems they rather just lay there, get fucked and play victim
M Club
el capitán

Post by M Club »

Shoalzie wrote:This begs the eternal question...is Maryland a Leader or a Legend?
One DIvision
OSU
PSU
Wisconsin
Purdue
Indiana
Rutgers
Maryland

The Other
Nebraska
Michigan
Michigan State
Iowa
N'Western
Minnesota
Illinois

Fucking awesome as a Michigan fan. Every year we're staring down the barrel of OSU because of protected rivalries while a team like MSU is saddled with that tough game against Indiana. Can't wait for that one year when our crossover games are OSU and PSU and we end the season tied with Nebraska, who got away with Rutgers and Indiana that year.
MuchoBulls
Tremendous Slouch

Post by MuchoBulls »

Roger_the_Shrubber wrote:Mucho,

I like weed as much as the next guy. But please..............

FSU and Clemson will NEVER leave the ACC.

Put the pipe down.
FSU and Maryland were the only 2 programs who voted against the $50 million buyout. If Maryland is getting out without having to pay the $50 million, then look for FSU to do the same. FSU is still pissed about the tv rights (Tier 3) that the ACC has.

Pretty sure that Maryland would have been a program that would have never left the ACC. Loyalty and long standing rivalries died when all of this conference re-shuffling bullshit started.
BSmack
2005 and 2010 JFFL Champion

Post by BSmack »

MuchoBulls wrote:FSU and Maryland were the only 2 programs who voted against the $50 million buyout. If Maryland is getting out without having to pay the $50 million, then look for FSU to do the same. FSU is still pissed about the tv rights (Tier 3) that the ACC has.
Somebody is paying that 50 million.

http://www.dukechronicle.com/article/ac ... and-monday
"Once upon a time, dinosaurs didn't have families. They lived in the woods and ate their children. It was a golden age."

—Earl Sinclair

"I do have respect for authority even though I throw jelly dicks at them.

- Antonio Brown
MuchoBulls
Tremendous Slouch

Post by MuchoBulls »

Long battle left on that.
Cornhusker
2018/2019 and 2023/2024 Pick ‘em Champion

Post by Cornhusker »

M Club wrote:
Shoalzie wrote:This begs the eternal question...is Maryland a Leader or a Legend?
One DIvision
OSU
PSU
Wisconsin
Purdue
Indiana
Rutgers
Maryland

The Other
Nebraska
Michigan
Michigan State
Iowa
N'Western
Minnesota
Illinois

Fucking awesome as a Michigan fan. Every year we're staring down the barrel of OSU because of protected rivalries while a team like MSU is saddled with that tough game against Indiana. Can't wait for that one year when our crossover games are OSU and PSU and we end the season tied with Nebraska, who got away with Rutgers and Indiana that year.
Works both ways..... we get a steady dose of Penn St. the years you get Rutgers and Indiana. If they can hold on to O'Brien, they'll hit people in the mouth no matter the sanctions.

Nebraska is coming off the first two years in the conference lined up with what was supposed to be the heavyweights, playing Ohio St. Wisconsin and the protected rival Penn St. The addition of Maryland and Rutgers will no doubt screw up our cupcake Leader's Division run in '14. Better make hay next year.

Keep in mind you're staring down the barrel of OSU because the B1G hopes and prays you play them twice.