Post by Mikey »

Electoral College?

Is this LSU's next OOC game?

I'll say LSU 9, Electoral College 7
Wolfman
Dumpater Artist

Re: electoral college, call it

Post by Wolfman »

I think they play Oberlin this Saturday. I'll take Oberlin and give you 3 1/2 points.

On a serious note, if that is possible on this board, I admire your spunk for going out on the limb you are on. After next Tuesday you might want to avoid this place.
"It''s not dark yet--but it's getting there". -- Bob Dylan

Carbon Dating, the number one dating app for senior citizens.

"Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teaches my hands to the war, and my fingers to fight."
Wolfman
Dumpater Artist

Post by Wolfman »

What would be hilarious if there was an electoral college tie. The President would be elected by the House of Representatives with each of the 50 states getting ONE (yes one) vote. Chances are Romney would win. What's really wild is that the VP is elected by the Senate. Because it is controlled by the Dems,we would end up with a Romney-Biden combination. And that would even be more wild if there was a tie Senate vote and Biden got to vote for himself. All highly unlikely, but could happen under the law.

"Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teaches my hands to the war, and my fingers to fight."
Mikey
Carbon Neutral since 1955

Post by Mikey »

Wolfman wrote:What would be hilarious if there was an electoral college tie. The President would be elected by the House of Representatives with each of the 50 states getting ONE (yes one) vote. Chances are Romney would win. What's really wild is that the VP is elected by the Senate. Because it is controlled by the Dems,we would end up with a Romney-Biden combination. And that would even be more wild if there was a tie Senate vote and Biden got to vote for himself. All highly unlikely, but could happen under the law.

A nice summary, but there's more...

A Romney-Biden White House? It could happen

What happens if there's an electoral college tie of 269 votes apiece? The House elects the president and the Senate elects the veep. And what if there's a tie there? Can you say President Boehner?
October 28, 2012|By John Klotsche
"Congress to pick the president." — headline, Nov. 7, 2012.

Sound ridiculous? Daft? Not at all.

The magic number is 270 — electoral college votes that is — to win the big prize. According to 270towin.com, there are now 11 "battleground" states and, statistically, 32 permutations from these up-for-grab states that could produce a 269-vote electoral college tie in the presidential election.

Based on the site's simulated polls, the mathematical probability of a tie increased almost fourfold in recent weeks — from 0.3% to 1.1%. And both political camps concede the race is tightening each day. Is there more gridlock ahead? It's a small but scary possibility.

So what if one of these 32 combos comes to pass? No, unlike Gore vs. Bush in 2000, the issue doesn't go to the Supreme Court for resolution, at least not right away. It turns out the Constitution has a nifty, two-step solution.

First, the 435 House members convene to elect the president. But only 50 votes are cast, one per state, so the delegates from each state first vote to determine how their state will cast its one vote. The current House GOP majority (240 to 190) has Romney likely getting the nod. But that could quickly change because it's the newly elected House that casts the critical vote.

Next, the 100 senators convene to elect the vice president. The current Senate makeup favors the Democrats 51 to 47, with two independents, so Joe Biden would keep his No. 2 gig. Again, that razor-thin margin could move on election day.

And if there's a tie vote in either the Senate or House? We'll get to that.

Instinctively, a 269-vote tie would be an urgent call to action to amend the Constitution to scrap the archaic procedure and stipulate that a simple majority of the total popular vote takes the prize. Surely we'll never get a tie with 132 million or so votes being cast.

But there are a few more bumps on this presidential road.

Could electors cast their vote for someone other than the popular vote winner in their state? Twenty-six states have feckless laws prohibiting that, and in most states, it doesn't usually happen. Yet there are always the "faithless" electors — those who flip their vote. It has happened 156 times in our history, though about half of those were votes involving candidates who died between the election and the electoral college vote. But 82 votes did involve a change of allegiance. And it has been reported that three GOP electors who support libertarian Ron Paul are making noise about refusing to vote for Mitt Romney. Remember, it may take only one switcheroo.

Let's assume the college affirms the 269-tie vote so the gridlocked issue moves to Congress. In the House, what happens if the states deadlock at 25-25? The vice president takes charge as acting president until the House breaks the stalemate. But wait, that's true only if the veep "qualifies," which Biden wouldn't until the Senate elects him. So the House speaker — currently John A. Boehner (R-Ohio) — would serve as acting president. But wait again. Boehner is required to resign as both speaker and House member to serve in his new role, something he may not fancy. If Boehner declines to serve, the acting president gig defaults to none other than the venerable Sen. Daniel K. Inouye (D-Hawaii), the 88-year-old Senate president pro tempore.

Then there is the tricky political dynamic of House members' loyalties to their party versus their constituents. It often happens that a House member wins the congressional election but the same district goes for the other party's presidential candidate. The conundrum for the House member: Should party loyalty trump a clear electoral mandate of the district's voters, and, by the by, how will my shameless partisanship affect my reelection in two years?

In the Senate, the Constitution generally provides that a 50-50 vote allows the vice president in his capacity as president of the Senate to break the stalemate. That means Joe Biden would vote for Joe Biden and, voila, elect Joe Biden — surely a troublesome result. The better procedure is the one described above for the House: Boehner or Inouye take charge until the Senate gerrymanders 51 votes for a vice president.

And speaking of gerrymandering, for the House or the Senate to cast a tie-breaking vote for either president or vice president, the Constitution stipulates a two-thirds quorum requirement. What happens if the putative losing party (likely Democrats in the House, the GOP in the Senate) decides to go AWOL? Recall just last year the Democratic caucuses in Wisconsin and Indiana high-tailed it across their respective state lines for weeks, successfully thwarting a legislative quorum on controversial anti-union legislation. The political shenanigans in our nation's capitol during a lawmakers' exodus would be breathtaking.

If the hanging, dimpled and pregnant chads in Bush vs. Gore made you scoff, then just wait until the Supreme Court tackles the election of the odd couple — Mitt and Joe. Or maybe Barack and Paul.

But wait one final time. What's wrong with a White House served by both parties? Isn't it time for our politicians to lead by example and kick-start genuine bipartisanship right from the top?
Wolfman
Dumpater Artist

Post by Wolfman »

The more I think about it, that scenario would be great for the country. Paul Ryan could stay in the house and get the economic recovery plan moving. AND------ Romney could send Biden around to state funerals and all AND to provide comic relief like he did here:

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/ ... KxA.tumblr

dingus
Jake

Post by dingus »

If it wasn't for the fact that he would become POTUS if the real POTUS took a dirt nap, we ought to make Biden VP for life just for the comic relief. What a douche bag.
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

Jsc810 wrote: Obama 303
Romney 235
Assumes facts that aren't the least bit evident. You're just pulling those numbers from your ass, like most of your takes.

Math and the electoral college aren't your strong suit. Stick to tailgating, you may be better at that.
Truman
Eternal Scobode

Post by Truman »

Jsc810 wrote:538 votes in the electoral college, 270 votes are needed to win the presidency.

While I might change these numbers slightly in the next week, right now I'm calling it:

Obama 303
Romney 235
Nope. Not even close. May an irate Cajun rend your stupid, crippled, lard-ass into cracklins'.

Come Wednesday next, you better check six for the Mitt Police as you most-likely will have to answer to serial infanticide charges. And that fag sister of yours? Gas chamber Gulag. Better PM Marty to see if he has a spare room to let...
Y2K
Internet Overlord

Post by Y2K »

The hurricane ruined it all, we'll need a recount.
Van
2012 CFB Bowl Pick Champ

Post by Van »

The bitch of it all? bradhusker vanished a few months ago and still I'll have to bail on this place in a couple of weeks if 88's prediction turns out to be correct.
Joe Satriani is a mime, right? - 88

Show me your dicks. - trev
Truman
Eternal Scobode

Post by Truman »

I'm trying to decide which is more laughable...

Entering into a hungus bet with a certified troll; or

Even entertaining the thought of honoring said bet once the troll has long ejected.

Board cred and $3.50 will get you a latte venti at Starbucks, Van. :meds:
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

No, Van, I won't have that.

The statute of limitations runs out after after a troll has been run.

You're good.
H4ever
Eternal Scobode

Post by H4ever »

88 wrote:
Jsc810 wrote:It is my humble prediction, nothing more. If I'm wrong, it won't be the first or last time.
I sincerely hope you are as accurate in your electroral college prediction in 2012 as you were in 2008...

Here is mine:

There's no way Shit Romney will pick up all those swing states listed on your map. Romney winning Florida, Ohio, Wisconsin, Virginia? all of them? yea...he will need a miracle like that.

He needs to have his boys step up the voter suppression maneuvers, hang some chads, and order some ballots thrown in a few dumpsters. Ya know...to keep this plutocracy shit real yo!
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

Jsc810 wrote: Well, insofar as the votes haven't been counted yet, yeah it is just my guess. That's kinda the point of this thread. You're welcome and invited to put your guess here as well.
No, it's your fervent wish, just like 88's wish (and mine) is for a different result.

But you want me to sit here and project exactly which states will go Blue and which Red, like we're playing the CFB pick'em game? No thanks.

My guess it that it will fall somewhere in between your and 88's extremely prejudiced projection, but that Romney will win.
BSmack
2005 and 2010 JFFL Champion

Post by BSmack »

You dittochumps are talking battleground states while Mitt Romney spend all of yesterday in Florida. If you want to know what the real internals are, look where the candidates go. With 6 days before the election, Romney spend a whole day in a state that, until last week, was leaning to him. Now if he went to Michigan or Minnesota, then you guys would have an argument for Obama collapsing. But Romney is spending time in states he was already supposed to have won. That doesn't bode well for the GOP.

As for my pick, I'll got with...

Obama 303
Romnesia 235

And it would be bigger if there weren't so many bitter racist fucks around.
"Once upon a time, dinosaurs didn't have families. They lived in the woods and ate their children. It was a golden age."

—Earl Sinclair

"I do have respect for authority even though I throw jelly dicks at them.

- Antonio Brown
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

88, the flaw in your logic is using Rasmussen polls. You might as well be using NewsMax.

I'll say again, it comes down to Ohio. If your feel for it, living there, is that Romney wins, I'm going to ride that for all it's worth.
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

BSmack wrote:And it would be bigger if there weren't so many bitter racist fucks around.
yeah, there's more now than there were in 2008. :meds:

idiot.
BSmack
2005 and 2010 JFFL Champion

Post by BSmack »

Jsc810 wrote:AP’s polling unit
Now there's a horrid visual.
"Once upon a time, dinosaurs didn't have families. They lived in the woods and ate their children. It was a golden age."

—Earl Sinclair

"I do have respect for authority even though I throw jelly dicks at them.

- Antonio Brown
Van
2012 CFB Bowl Pick Champ

Post by Van »

Truman, Wags, the fact of the matter is that bradhusker is not banned. He's free to come back and resume posting here whenever he wants. With this being the case, our bet is still in effect. If Obama wins, dude can never post here again. If Romney wins, I'm gonzo.

The only way this thing can be cancelled is if bradhusker comes in here before the election and calls off the bet.
Joe Satriani is a mime, right? - 88

Show me your dicks. - trev
H4ever
Eternal Scobode

Post by H4ever »

War Wagon wrote:88, the flaw in your logic is using Rasmussen polls. You might as well be using NewsMax.

I'll say again, it comes down to Ohio. If your feel for it, living there, is that Romney wins, I'm going to ride that for all it's worth.

According to this: http://fivethirtyeight.blogs.nytimes.com/ Ohio has about a 50/50 chance of deciding the election. That doesn't bode well for Shit Mitt if you consider how a win in Ohio has historically meant a GOP presidency. It seems that if he pulls Ohio out of his ass (I don't think he will), he still has a 50% chance of losing.

There's lots of other good info on that link.
mvscal
Blank

Post by mvscal »

BSmack wrote:And it would be bigger if there weren't so many bitter racist fucks around.
Yes, of course. Race is the only possible reason for opposing BathHouse Barry.

Stupid jerkoff...

:meds: :meds: :meds:
Screw_Michigan wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:39 pmUnlike you tards, I actually have functioning tastebuds and a refined pallet.
mvscal
Blank

Post by mvscal »

Papa Willie wrote:
Jsc810 wrote:Now that you mention it ...
Poll finds fresh increase in US racism

Racial attitudes have not improved in the four years since the US elected its first black president, an Associated Press poll has found.

Released on Saturday, the AP poll used a combination of explicit and implicit questions about race and found that prejudice has increased slightly since 2008.

The study, conducted online by GfK Custom Research under the supervision of AP’s polling unit, included interviews with 1,071 adults between August and September 2012.

In all, 51 per cent of those polled expressed explicit anti-black attitudes, compared with 48 percent in a similar 2008 survey.
When measured by an implicit racial attitudes test, the number of Americans with anti-black sentiments jumped to 56 per cent, up from 49 per cent during the last presidential election.

In both tests, the share of Americans expressing pro-black attitudes fell.

"As much as we'd hope the impact of race would decline over time ... it appears the impact of anti-black sentiment on voting is about the same as it was four years ago,'' said Jon Krosnick, a Stanford University professor who worked with AP to develop the survey. ...
Any reason you posted an article that came from Aljazeera?

Regardless - this is nothing more than a ploy to make those on the fence feel sorry for King Coon.
Of course it's all total nonsense. The Erection Of Barry has stemmed the rise of the seas, healed the planet, restored America's beloved role on the world stage and given 'hope and change' to millions everywhere.

The purchase power of 'hope and change' remains unclear but it is believed to be a value add to five dollars for a cup of coffee. Enjoy it with pride, you "tolerant," militantly non-homophobic assgoblins.
Screw_Michigan wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:39 pmUnlike you tards, I actually have functioning tastebuds and a refined pallet.
Smackie Chan
Eternal Scobode

Post by Smackie Chan »

Obama - 290
Romney - 248
"I see everything twice!"
Goober McTuber
World Renowned Last Word Whore

Post by Goober McTuber »

88 wrote:In Wisconsin, most of the polls show Obama with a slight lead. Rasmussen has it tied. I think the Republican ground game, which defeated the Democrat ground game twice in recent elections, comes away with a narrow victory here.
I wouldn’t use the two Walker elections as a barometer here. We’ve elected Republican governors while choosing Democrat presidents before. Nonetheless, I’ll do my bit, and vote for Mitt.
Joe in PB wrote: Yeah I'm the dumbass
schmick, speaking about Larry Nassar's pubescent and prepubescent victims wrote: They couldn't even kick that doctors ass

Seems they rather just lay there, get fucked and play victim
Felix
2012 JAFFL Champ

Post by Felix »

Van wrote:The bitch of it all? bradhusker vanished a few months ago and still I'll have to bail on this place in a couple of weeks if 88's prediction turns out to be correct.
ditto
get out, get out while there's still time
Goober McTuber
World Renowned Last Word Whore

Post by Goober McTuber »

88 wrote:
Felix wrote:
Van wrote:The bitch of it all? bradhusker vanished a few months ago and still I'll have to bail on this place in a couple of weeks if 88's prediction turns out to be correct.
ditto
It looks like TiC is the third member of the potentially "hungused by bradhusker trio"

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=40538&hilit=bet&start=520
That’s our 88. Always looking for the silver lining.
Joe in PB wrote: Yeah I'm the dumbass
schmick, speaking about Larry Nassar's pubescent and prepubescent victims wrote: They couldn't even kick that doctors ass

Seems they rather just lay there, get fucked and play victim
Derron
Eternal Scobode

Post by Derron »

Jsc810 wrote: and created my own electoral college map.
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

I am sure it is highly accurate too.....
Derron
Screw_Michigan wrote: Democrats are the REAL racists.
Softball Bat wrote: Is your anus quivering?
Cuda
IKYABWAI

Post by Cuda »

Jsc810 wrote:
88 wrote:Ohio is tied in most polls, with Rasmussen giving Romney a slight edge. I live here, and I have not seen the groundswell that lifted Obama to 52% here in 2008. I think he loses here by 4% or more.
all that means is Nate Silver is a bigger Obama dong huffer than you

Willard has 293 locked up. Obamy has already lost CO, OH, IA & WI. If Willard takes PA, the ass-raping is on. It's inevitabe, so just lay back & enjoy it

http://www.270towin.com/2012_election_p ... mapid=bclc
WacoFan wrote:Flying any airplane that you can hear the radio over the roaring radial engine is just ghey anyway.... Of course, Cirri are the Miata of airplanes..
Derron
Eternal Scobode

Post by Derron »

Jsc810 wrote:Derron, make your picks and we'll see who was most accurate next week.
Fuck you Jerkoff810.

You see I am one of those people who really don't give a fuck. This country is completely screwed no matter who wins. I voted for Romney, and hope he wins. Pity for the big urban centers, since if he does win, O's boys are going to burn the cities down. If Obongo wins, we are just accelerating our eventual drive off the fiscal cliff, and increasing the populations dependence on a corrupt federal government, but until this country is not controlled by the big financial companies, the lobbyist's, the public employee unions, and returns to a constitutional form of governance, we are fucked.

When then the populace in large cities affected by a storm are so concerned about charging their cell phones and I pads, and whining that " Nobody came to help us", we as a country are truly fucked. With decision makers party liners like you pulling the handle for Obongo, we are clearly headed faster down the road to anarchy.

Citing "facts" posted on Twitter shows that you just took a full load of Kool Aid jizz right square in your pie hole, then swallowed it whole and licked it clean. Good job honk....your jaws getting tired fellating Obongo much ?
Derron
Screw_Michigan wrote: Democrats are the REAL racists.
Softball Bat wrote: Is your anus quivering?
H4ever
Eternal Scobode

Post by H4ever »

Cuda wrote:
Jsc810 wrote:
88 wrote:Ohio is tied in most polls, with Rasmussen giving Romney a slight edge. I live here, and I have not seen the groundswell that lifted Obama to 52% here in 2008. I think he loses here by 4% or more.
all that means is Nate Silver is a bigger Obama dong huffer than you

Willard has 293 locked up. Obamy has already lost CO, OH, IA & WI. If Willard takes PA, the ass-raping is on. It's inevitabe, so just lay back & enjoy it

http://www.270towin.com/2012_election_p ... mapid=bclc

The election was simulated 10,000 times using latest state by state trends here: http://www.270towin.com/simulation/visualizer_2012.php, with Obama winning nearly 80% of the time. Sounds like you better stock up on lube....slut.
Moving Sale

Post by Moving Sale »

mvscal wrote:
Of course it's all total nonsense.
You are a self loathing racist fuck who loves black cock in his ass. You are way too fucked up in the head to make a rational decision in this case.
Cuda
IKYABWAI

Post by Cuda »

Jsc810 wrote:
Cuda wrote:all that means is Nate Silver is a bigger Obama dong huffer than you
You do understand that Nate Silver doesn't take polls, right? He takes the results of polls that other people do, and then puts them into his election model. Evidently he has quite a track record, we'll see soon enough if that continues.
I never said Silver was a pollster-unless by pollster, you mean dong huffer- Silver uses the most tortured gymnastics imaginable to get to the result he desires. For one thing, he assumes a far bigger democRat voter turnout than the record turnout Ojigaboo had in 2008. Historically, the Crooked Party gets the bulk of their voter participation in the early/absentee ballots (where it's much easier to cheat) and the Stupid Party gets the bulk of their participation on election day. Early voting & absentee ballot requests nationwide show democRat participation is WAY DOWN, and republican participation is WAY UP.
Make your call, and prove you know better than Nate and others. Here is your chance.
I already did, dumbass
WacoFan wrote:Flying any airplane that you can hear the radio over the roaring radial engine is just ghey anyway.... Of course, Cirri are the Miata of airplanes..
mvscal
Blank

Post by mvscal »

I've got it scored 275-263 Romney. My difference with Gaysc is Ohio, Colorado and Virginia.

http://www.270towin.com/2012_election_p ... mapid=bcOf
Truman
Eternal Scobode

Post by Truman »

Jsc810 wrote:538 votes in the electoral college, 270 votes are needed to win the presidency.

While I might change these numbers slightly in the next week, right now I'm calling it:

Obama 303
Romney 235
Not so fast, you brain-dead, Baby Huey-looking fuck:

http://www.rasmussenreports.com/public_ ... scoreboard

Sorry, Dems +7 sampling does not impress. BTW, Rasmussen has a tendency to get these things right....

Oh, I'm sure you've got a Huff-Po map wedged somewhere up your ass, but of all the toss-ups, Romney trails only in Nevada, and is presently tied in Wisconsin. All other states report a 1-5 point Romney lead. Add those 80 electoral votes to the 206 Romney already has in the bag, and the President-Elect cruises. You mind taking Van's seat in the hungus bet? TIA.
Shlomart Ben Yisrael
Insha'Allah

Post by Shlomart Ben Yisrael »

Truman wrote:...you brain-dead, Baby Huey-looking fuck:

wow

:o
rock rock to the planet rock ... don't stop
Felix wrote:you've become very bitter since you became jewish......
Kierland drop-kicking Wolftard wrote: Aren’t you part of the silent generation?
Why don’t you just STFU.
Truman
Eternal Scobode

Post by Truman »

Jsc needs to die on an operating table.
trev
New Sheriff in Town

Post by trev »

Someone is grumpy.
Terry in Crapchester
2012 March Madness Champ

Post by Terry in Crapchester »

Fwiw, www.electoral-vote.com has Obama leading 299-206, with 33 electoral votes (notably including Florida) a tie.

I think that site may have the best algorithm as to multiple polls:
Here is the algorithm for combining polls to make the map.

The most recent poll in every state is always used.
If no other polls were taken within a week of the most recent one, only the most recent poll counts.
If one or more other polls were taken within a week of the most recent, all of them are averaged, weighted equally.
This algorithm smoothes out fluctations better and produces fewer wild swings and gives a better overall result. You can see which polls were used by putting the mouse on a state. The Source field tells which polls are used and gives the final date of the final poll used. If multiple polls were used, the first nine characters of each pollster are listed and the pollsters are separated by a "+" sign.

The EVP average page uses these scores.

A consequence of this algorithm is that in the "News from the Votemaster" section, a new poll may be reported but the map gives a different result. This effect is always due to multiple recent polls being averaged. You will see that this is the case by looking for the "+" sign used to separate multiple pollsters in the Source field of the pop-up box. Another consequence of this algorithm, is that this site may give slightly different results from other polling sites, each of which uses its own algorithm, sometimes a far more complex one.

Why a look-back window of 1 week? It is admittedly arbitrary. If the window is too short, the results gyrate wildly as different polls use different methodologies . If the window is too long, genuine shifts in public opinion take too long to show up. The choice of 1 week is based on my now-extensive experience with examining polling data. Public reaction to news events often takes several days to take effect as people often change their opinions after talking to friends, coworkers, and relatives.

It is worth emphasizing that the margin of error in most state polls is at least 3% for each candidate. Thus if a poll says Smith is beating Jones 52% to 48%, Smith might be as low as 49% and Jones might be as high as 51%. When the difference between two candidates is less than 2x the margin of error, the race is a statistical tie. On the map, the states with a white center are those where the candidates differ by less than 5% and are certainly statistical ties. Even some of the ones in the solid light color may technically be statistical ties, but a lead of 5% or more most likely means the candidate is actually ahead.
88 wrote:Virginia is in Romney's column in most of the polls. I'm following the mainstream here.
I haven't looked at every site, but the one I cited has Obama ahead here, albeit close enough to be a statistical tie.
The fact that New Hampshire is in play should give any Obama supporter chills.
Not really. Bush carried New Hampshire in 2000. Romney has a vacation home in New Hampshire, and claims it as one of his many home states, along with Massachusetts, Michigan, California, Utah (all of which he'll lose, save the last one).
War Wagon wrote:The first time I click on one of your youtube links will be the first time.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Sudden Sam wrote:WTF is wrong with you people?!

Do you not realize that Alabama plays LSU and Oregon plays USC tomorrow night?

Exactly. Who cares what the polls say before that?
I got 99 problems but the 'vid ain't one
dingus
Jake

Post by dingus »

271-269 for the Kenyan.