Drinks for the discerning palate AKA Mikey was bored

"Hey Mikey"

Moderator: Mikey

Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Re: Drinks for the discerning palate AKA Mikey was bored

Post by Screw_Michigan »

Had a delicious Jai Alai IPA from Cigar City Brewing last night. I prefer Two Hearted but Jai Alai is a close second. Just a smooth, high quality, high ABV I PA. Don't mess with a good thing.

https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/17981/46363/
kcdave wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 8:05 am
I was actually going to to join in the best bets activity here at good ole T1B...The guy that runs that contest is a fucking prick
Derron wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 3:07 pm
You are truly one of the worst pieces of shit to ever post on this board. Start giving up your paycheck for reparations now and then you can shut the fuck up about your racist blasts.
Mikey
Carbon Neutral since 1955

Post by Mikey »

I seem to change brands pretty frequently, there are so many great beers out there. Lately I’ve been drinking:

Latitude 33 Blood Orange IPA. A very good San Diego style (brewed in Vista) IPA, with a slight hint of citrus. Not sweet at all. Plenty of hops without being overbearing.

Firestone Walker 805 Blond Ale. When I want something a little lighter. Just a very drinkable blonde ale, ABV not too high. Great to quaff ice cold while in the spa after a few hours of sweating in the yard. Brewed in San Luis Obispo.

I don’t mind drinking Modelo, either the blonde or negra, especially at a Mexican restaurant.
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

Mikey wrote: Sun Oct 29, 2023 11:41 pm I seem to change brands pretty frequently, there are so many great beers out there. Lately I’ve been drinking:

Latitude 33 Blood Orange IPA. A very good San Diego style (brewed in Vista) IPA, with a slight hint of citrus. Not sweet at all. Plenty of hops without being overbearing.

Firestone Walker 805 Blond Ale. When I want something a little lighter. Just a very drinkable blonde ale, ABV not too high. Great to quaff ice cold while in the spa after a few hours of sweating in the yard. Brewed in San Luis Obispo.

I don’t mind drinking Modelo, either the blonde or negra, especially at a Mexican restaurant.
I prefer traditional IPAs over Hazy/West Coast IPAs but they're not bad. I'm assuming you are familiar with Ballast Point? I know they're not craft anymore, but I went out to their brewery when I was in San Diego years ago and was blown away with the crazy stuff they had. The Habanero Sculpin was absolutely incredible.
kcdave wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 8:05 am
I was actually going to to join in the best bets activity here at good ole T1B...The guy that runs that contest is a fucking prick
Derron wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 3:07 pm
You are truly one of the worst pieces of shit to ever post on this board. Start giving up your paycheck for reparations now and then you can shut the fuck up about your racist blasts.
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Of course. Longtime fan of Sculpin, it’s sort of the pinnacle of IPAs IMO. They make a grapefruit Sculpin that’s pretty decent as well. Never tried the habanero. Maybe they only have it at th brewery?

Several years ago, when Ballast Point announced that they were going public, I was about to dump some money into the IPO when they suddenly announced they were being bought out by Constellation Brands for something like $2 billion. So that opportunity didn’t quite pan out.
The Whistle Is Screaming
Left-handed monkey wrench

Post by The Whistle Is Screaming »

If you are an IPA fan, you need to score some of this, not sure if it makes it that far west Mikey.

https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/46317/16814/
Ingse Bodil wrote:rich jews aren't the same as real jews, though, right?
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Thanks TWIS. I’ll be on the lookout for that. From the description it sounds like maybe it doesn’t ship too well so it could be that it doesn’t get this far.
The Whistle Is Screaming

I'm 5 hours from the brewery and have trouble getting it. They only produce in cans, no kegs.
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

We have some excellent local IPAs but I’m always on the lookout for something really good and different. That what’s so great about the beer situation these days. No matter where you are it seems that there are dedicated brewers producing great beers and you’re not stuck with the national brands. Unless that’s what you want.
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

The Whistle Is Screaming wrote: Mon Nov 20, 2023 9:34 pm If you are an IPA fan, you need to score some of this, not sure if it makes it that far west Mikey.

https://www.beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/46317/16814/
8 years ago you had to go to a package store in upper VT on the day it was delivered to score this stuff. Today, I can buy it at my local supermarket.

It was THE IPA back in the day. It is still awesome but many others are in its class nowadays.

A few local favorites....

Anything from Treehouse Brewery, Headway from Counter Weight brewery, Two Juicy from Two Roads, Sip of Sunshine from Lawson's Liquids.

Haven't seen him around lately, but Mgo and I have swapped local brews. One that he sent me was M43. It was out-fukking-standing. Right up there with Heady Topper.
mvscal wrote:The only precious metals in a SHTF scenario are lead and brass.
The Whistle Is Screaming

Heaven's Door - Straight Bourbon Whiskey

Very good, similar to Bibb & Tucker.

Had the High West Cask Strength a couple Fridays ago, a little rough around the edges, but a satisfying drink.

Tell me about your go to bourbon....