Farmers Market Report

"Hey Mikey"

Moderator: Mikey

Mikey
Carbon Neutral since 1955

Farmers Market Report

Post by Mikey »

I head to the Vista farmers market every Saturday morning unless I have something else that keeps me away. It's one of the oldest of the California Certified Farmers Markets and usually has pretty good showing by vendors with all sorts of seasonal fruits and veggies, grown mostly locally. Some vendors come from as far away as the Fresneck and Suckramento areas. Prolly not as much variety as some in the LA area, but there's always good stuff to buy.

Today's haul (no pictures...maybe next week):

This hot weather is great for tomatoes. Seems like 75% of the vendors are selling tomatoes, mostly heirloom varieties. I must have picked up 2 or 3 pounds of regular to large heirlooms plus a couple of baskets of heirloom cherry tomatoes.

Also,
Sweet corn
Two kinds of beets
Baby lettuce
Pickling cukes
Grapefruit, red and white
Reed avocados - the best variety around, extra large and buttery, but they're only available for a month or so and mostly just local
Strawberries
Raspberries
Blackberries
Peaches
Two kinds of figs
Pluots

Tomato and avocado sammies are going to rock this week.
mvscal
Blank

Re: Farmers Market Report

Post by mvscal »

Sweet white corn is really good this summer. Pluots are good, too. The last few years have been kind of meh for stone fruits.
Screw_Michigan wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:39 pmUnlike you tards, I actually have functioning tastebuds and a refined pallet.
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

mvscal wrote:Sweet white corn is really good this summer. Pluots are good, too. The last few years have been kind of meh for stone fruits.
The pluots have been excellent. There are still some good peaches too.

There used to be a guy that came down to the Vista market every Saturday from Littlerock with peaches when in season (4 to 6 weeks in the summer). Best peaches ever. Didn't show up last year or this year. Damn I miss those peaches. Nothing better than a really good peach.

And yes there is a Littlerock in California. It's in the Antelope Valley, along the 138 on the way to fucking Palmdale (if you're going from here).
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Baby lettuce, cantaloupes, strawberries, tomatoes of various sizes and colors, peaches, reed avocados, pluots grapes, figs, cukes.
Goober McTuber
World Renowned Last Word Whore

Post by Goober McTuber »

Toddowen wrote:Was at a supermarket Friday Night during my lunch break from work and saw some PR {Puerto Rican} standing in the fruit and veg section looking around cautiously and then stuffing a handful of grapes into his maw.

I couldn't help but say:

"There's some fried chicken right over there in the deli section. Why don't you go over there and help yourself to some of that too, huh?"

He gives me this "What you say dat shit for, man?" look and then goes and hides somewhere in the store, as I didn't see him again. Probably off somewhere munching some cheetos or other ethnic bullshit.

Just one of the peeves I have- to see people wolfing down food in the supermarket. All types of people do it. I confronted a woman who must have been in her 60's about two years ago {grapes again} by barking at her a judgemental confrontation of "What the FUCK?!", that everyone in the area turned around and stared at me, while paying no attention to this old heeb looking yenta who was busily gulping down the remnants of one of the ten commandments she had just chewed up. People are looking at ME as the obnoxious one. But it was HER.
This sounds like one of those G-Pete fairytales from .Net. I ain't buyin' it, tough guy.
Joe in PB wrote: Yeah I'm the dumbass
schmick, speaking about Larry Nassar's pubescent and prepubescent victims wrote: They couldn't even kick that doctors ass

Seems they rather just lay there, get fucked and play victim
Goober McTuber

Post by Goober McTuber »

Toddowen wrote:Being tough has got nothing to do with it. It's all about being a bitch.
OK. I can picture you being a bitch.
schmick, speaking about Larry Nassar's pubescent and prepubescent victims wrote: They couldn't even kick that doctors ass

Goober McTuber

Post by Goober McTuber »

Toddowen wrote:
Goober McTuber wrote:
Toddowen wrote:Being tough has got nothing to do with it. It's all about being a bitch.
OK. I can picture you being a bitch.

Don't resort to KC tactics, Boobs. You're better than that.
It certainly sounded like you were calling yourself a bitch. Not sure what KC has to do with that.

Goober McTuber

Post by Goober McTuber »

Pretty early in the day for this level of intoxication, Tardd.