PGA pick em

Oh Billy Billy Billy...

Moderator: Dinsdale

BSmack
2005 and 2010 JFFL Champion

PGA pick em

Post by BSmack »

Glory's Last Gasp is this week. Final picks, as always, due no later than Monday.

Winner: Eldrick Tont Woods

Dark Horse: Randolph Junah
"Once upon a time, dinosaurs didn't have families. They lived in the woods and ate their children. It was a golden age."

—Earl Sinclair

"I do have respect for authority even though I throw jelly dicks at them.

- Antonio Brown
Ken
Most epic roll-call thread starter EVER

Re: PGA pick em

Post by Ken »

Jsc810 wrote: Dark horse: Jason Dufner
Unless you thought ‘dark horse’ = ‘one of the favorites’, try paying attention to the general golf landscape of 2012 before trying to grace us with another outstanding take.

As for the Championship, I’ll go with Dufner as one of the favorites.
Dark horse: Sean O’Hair, for no other reason other than I like the guy’s perseverance given all the shit he’s been through with his dad.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Thanks for picking up my slack, Bri -- I've been away (as per usualm these days).

First... you earned the smack you're taking/going to take here, JSC... that was pretty fuggin dumb.

I'll take Tont... he's freaking due. On a longer course, short game becomes key to saves on missed greens (or if I'm playing, it's key on short courses too). He is still the best.

But really, we all know full-well ROBERT FUCKING GARRIGUS is going to take his 1st of many. And that's who we're ALL taking... don't make me use these edit functions for the first time.

How about a Big Easy twofer? That would be mighty cool.
I got 99 problems but the 'vid ain't one
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Uhhh... maybe someone that the general population nor the oddsmakers think has much of a chance?

And if you've never heard of Jason Dufner, what in the living fuck are you doing offering picks in a PGA pick'em?

He's #2 on the moneylist, and #8 in the freaking world rankings, dumbass.

Does anyone else find it odd that JSTroll just managed to pick a player he's "never heard of"?
Ken

Re: PGA pick emji

Post by Ken »

Jsc810 wrote:He's a dark horse to me, I've never heard of him.
Then I guess everyone other than Eldrick would be a dark horse to you, apparently.
What is considered a dark horse then? Beyond certain odds? If so, what?
According to you, this does (in 17 tournaments entered in 2012):
2: wins (only El Tigre has more this year)
1: 2nd place finish
7: Top 10 finishes
11: Top 25 finishes
16: Cuts made
2nd: Money leader

Ranked 3rd in the FedEx cup standings (look it up if you haven’t a clue what that is, but to save you a bit of time, the winner receives the measly sum of $10,000,000.)

Ranked 8th in the WORLD.

There’s your ‘dark horse’.
Ken

Post by Ken »

Jsc810 wrote:Again, what is a dark horse? Is there a list of them? Is it beyond certain odds to win, and if so, what are those odds?
When you can supply the definitive list of who the dark horses to win the BTPCF MNC are, perhaps we can supply the Definitive List of Dark Horses to Win the PGA Championship.

Listen, no one cares if you pick a marginal dark horse. However, if you step on your dick and pick a favorite…
BSmack

Post by BSmack »

Jsc810 wrote:Again, what is a dark horse? Is there a list of them? Is it beyond certain odds to win, and if so, what are those odds?
Start with these two simple concepts. Guys in the top 20 of the world rankings are generally not dark horses. Guys who have won more than one event this calender year are not dark horses. Follow those two simple rules and you'll never suffer this kind of embarrassment ever... oh hell, who am I kidding. You'll find some other way to face plant.
"Once upon a time, dinosaurs didn't have families. They lived in the woods and ate their children. It was a golden age."

—Earl Sinclair

- Antonio Brown
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

ROBERT FUCKING GARRIGUS is a great dark horse -- no Majors under his belt, few Tour wins, but often finds himself on the first page or two of the leaderboard (getting to be a regular thing lately).

We can even get into details, like he's the longest hitter on tour, and is playing a long course.

A fine "dark horse" pick.
Goober McTuber
World Renowned Last Word Whore

Post by Goober McTuber »

Steve Stricker as the dark horse. Whatever top 20 player hasn't won a major as my favorite.
Joe in PB wrote: Yeah I'm the dumbass
schmick, speaking about Larry Nassar's pubescent and prepubescent victims wrote: They couldn't even kick that doctors ass

Seems they rather just lay there, get fucked and play victim
Ken

Post by Ken »

Goober McTuber wrote:Steve Stricker as the dark horse. Whatever top 20 player hasn't won a major as my favorite.
Hey, but no worries, JSC. Take solace… you’ve got some company nipping at your heels in the ‘I know jack shit about golf’ category. While you picked the 8th ranked golfer in the world, a certain someone picked the 11th.
Felix
2012 JAFFL Champ

Post by Felix »

winner winner chicken dinner: I'm going with Graeme McDowell, because the ocean course is essentially a links course....

dark horse: Matt Dobyns (he's a club pro from Lake Success, N.Y.-that should be worth 2 a side)

most difficult hole for the week: 10 (a fucking beast of a hole)
hole most likely to generate big numbers: 13
hole most likely to jangle nerves: 17

with a slope rating of 155 it's no wonder the ocean course is considered the most difficult course in the US.....this will be a war of attrition, with the course most likely to come out on top
get out, get out while there's still time
buckeye_in_sc
Eternal Scobode

Post by buckeye_in_sc »

I'll go with Eldrick to take it down...mebbe he should wear red every round

others to watch...G MAC (good call Felix), I like Rickie Fowler actually...no fear and sometimes that is what you need...Shrek (OOSthiuzen or whatever the fuck) can fucking play...sets up well for him

Dark Horse...I'll go with Bryce Molder or Mark Brooks (fucker hasn't been the same since he lost in that Open playoff I believe at Southern Hills)
BSmack

Post by BSmack »

Felix wrote:Lake Success, N.Y.
He should move upstate and find a real lake. Only on Lond Island do people who live next to an Ocean call puddles "lakes."

—Earl Sinclair

- Antonio Brown
Goober McTuber

Post by Goober McTuber »

Ken wrote:
Goober McTuber wrote:Steve Stricker as the dark horse. Whatever top 20 player hasn't won a major as my favorite.
Hey, but no worries, JSC. Take solace… you’ve got some company nipping at your heels in the ‘I know jack shit about golf’ category. While you picked the 8th ranked golfer in the world, a certain someone picked the 11th.
I know where Stricker is ranked. He's a homeboy. His best finish in a major was 2nd in the PGA 14 years ago. He's a consistently good golfer who'll never win anything big. Martin Kaymer, Charl Schwartzel, Jason Day, Brandt Snedeker, Jim Furyk, Paul Lawrie, K.J. Choi, Carl Pettersson and Geoff Ogilvy are all outside of the top 20 and all are as good a bet (if not a better bet) than Stricker to win. When it comes to majors, Stricker will always be a dark horse.
schmick, speaking about Larry Nassar's pubescent and prepubescent victims wrote: They couldn't even kick that doctors ass

Felix
2012 JAFFL Champ

Post by Felix »

Goober McTuber wrote: He's a consistently good golfer who'll never win anything big. Martin Kaymer, Charl Schwartzel, Jason Day, Brandt Snedeker, Jim Furyk, Paul Lawrie, K.J. Choi, Carl Pettersson and Geoff Ogilvy are all outside of the top 20 and all are as good a bet (if not a better bet) than Stricker to win. When it comes to majors, Stricker will always be a dark horse.

true dat....don't know why either, the guy is a great player just doesn't do well in majors
Felix
2012 JAFFL Champ

Post by Felix »

Felix wrote:dark horse: Matt Dobyns (he's a club pro from Lake Success, N.Y.-that should be worth 2 a side)
Dobyns is the leader in the clubhouse, tied with charly hoffman for worst round at 9 over.....I'm hoping nobody will pass him
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Uh-oh... the Haytahs better turn off the TV.
Goober McTuber

Post by Goober McTuber »

Dinsdale wrote:Uh-oh... the Haytahs better turn off the TV.
Certainly. Because most major tournaments are won on Friday.

Felix
2012 JAFFL Champ

Post by Felix »

looks like Kiawah is winning today...no wind=docile (well, as docile as a 7,600+yd course can be)
22 mph crosswind=teeth of the dog....it's a battle for survival
Carson
2012 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by Carson »

You were saying?
Goober McTuber

Post by Goober McTuber »

Goober McTuber wrote:
Certainly. Because most major tournaments are won on Friday.
Another major, another failure. Damn.

And did I hear that Rory got his second major a couple of months younger that Tigger did?

BTW, I'm not a hater. A despiser, maybe. A loather, sure.

Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

So Garrigus won, right?

21st, 1st, what's the difference?

Rory McDouchelroy gets #2. A couple of months ahead of Tigre's pace... except fields have gotten a lot deeper in the last 10 years. Just more top-notch players these days, which makes it tough for both Eldrick and Rory to amass gaudy Major numbers anymore.

Vijay was clumsy with the gearshift, and hit "Reverse" instead of "Overdrive."
Felix
2012 JAFFL Champ

Post by Felix »

Dinsdale wrote:fields have gotten a lot deeper in the last 10 years. Just more top-notch players these days, which makes it tough for both Eldrick and Rory to amass gaudy Major numbers anymore.
wtf are you talking about

/s/
16 different winners in last 17 majors
Goober McTuber

Post by Goober McTuber »

The fields may be deeper, but Tigger’s had no real formidable opponents. Jack went up against guys that won 6, 7, 8 and 9 majors (Trevino, Palmer, Watson and Player). The most anyone in the current era not named Woods has is 4.

And don’t forget that Jack had 19 second place finishes. I think Tigger has 6. And if Tigger got his second faster than Nicklaus, and Rory just got his second even faster, well maybe it isn’t any tougher to win majors these days. Time will tell.

Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Goober McTuber wrote:The fields may be deeper, but Tigger’s had no real formidable opponents. Jack went up against guys that won 6, 7, 8 and 9 majors (Trevino, Palmer, Watson and Player). The most anyone in the current era not named Woods has is 4.

When you go to bed tonight, you should leave a chunk of your brain under your pillow, and see if the Logic Fairy leaves you a little sumpm.

I had to read that twice before it even made enough sense to make me shake my head and chuckle.
Felix
2012 JAFFL Champ

Post by Felix »

Goober McTuber wrote:The fields may be deeper, but Tigger’s had no real formidable opponents.

really? no formidible opponents out there?
fuck, I'm going to the range today becaue I think with enough work I could become not a formidible player......

thanks for the tip
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Eldrick certainly hasn't had to contend with Phildo, Vijay, Big Easy, David Duvall, Paddy, or any other non-formidable opponents (who would all kill Trevino, Watson, and certainly Player... I know, it's quite subjective).
Goober McTuber

Post by Goober McTuber »

Dinsdale wrote:Eldrick certainly hasn't had to contend with Phildo, Vijay, Big Easy, David Duvall, Paddy, or any other non-formidable opponents (who would all kill Trevino, Watson, and certainly Player... I know, it's quite subjective).
Remind which one of those is likely to get to 7 or 8 majors. You really have to judge golfers in the context of the era they played in. In the grand history of golf, is Vijay > Watson? Padraig > Player? David FUCKING Duvall? And you want to talk about logic fairies?

Goober McTuber

Post by Goober McTuber »

Dinsdale wrote:Rory McDouchelroy gets #2. A couple of months ahead of Tigre's pace... except fields have gotten a lot deeper in the last 10 years. Just more top-notch players these days, which makes it tough for both Eldrick and Rory to amass gaudy Major numbers anymore.
Really? Tigger was easily on pace to pass Jack until he decided to steer his career and his life off a cliff. And if McIlroy is acquiring major titles at a slightly faster clip that Tigger did (yes, I know it’s only his second), there’s no reason to believe that gaudy numbers can’t still be had. And if indeed it’s Rory and not Tigger that passes Jack, tears will flow from the TWBWC™.

Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Goober McTuber wrote: Remind which one of those is likely to get to 7 or 8 majors.

OK, let's see if I can help...

Those players faced deeper fields that the Watsons and Trevinos.

The 90's/early 2000s had deeper fields than Watson/Palmer/Player ever faced... by far.

Ther players of today are facing even deeper yet fields.

Your logic fails, in that the legends you mentioned were able to win more Majors for the very reason that the fields weren't as deep. There was only a handful of guys who even had a shot when they showed up. Today, Rory bucked the trend of 16 in a row, which speaks well to Rory's ability to win Majors.
Goober McTuber

Post by Goober McTuber »

Dinsdale wrote:
Goober McTuber wrote: Remind which one of those is likely to get to 7 or 8 majors.

OK, let's see if I can help...

Those players faced deeper fields that the Watsons and Trevinos.

The 90's/early 2000s had deeper fields than Watson/Palmer/Player ever faced... by far.

Ther players of today are facing even deeper yet fields.

Your logic fails, in that the legends you mentioned were able to win more Majors for the very reason that the fields weren't as deep. There was only a handful of guys who even had a shot when they showed up. Today, Rory bucked the trend of 16 in a row, which speaks well to Rory's ability to win Majors.
Which puts him on a pace slightly ahead of Tigger. Who was well on his way to passing Jack. Which might seem to indicate that Rory might be able to put up some pretty gaudy numbers. Tiger already put up a pretty gaudy number, and it's not as if these fields suddenly got so incredibly deep just in the past 4 years.

Felix
2012 JAFFL Champ

Post by Felix »

Goober McTuber wrote:

Remind which one of those is likely to get to 7 or 8 majors. You really have to judge golfers in the context of the era they played in. In the grand history of golf, is Vijay > Watson? Padraig > Player? David FUCKING Duvall? And you want to talk about logic fairies?
none....and that makes them not "formidable Opponents"?
seriously, are you this fucking dense or are you just trolling
Felix
2012 JAFFL Champ

Post by Felix »

Goober McTuber wrote:

Which puts him on a pace slightly ahead of Tigger. Who was well on his way to passing Jack. Which might seem to indicate that Rory might be able to put up some pretty gaudy numbers. Tiger already put up a pretty gaudy number, and it's not as if these fields suddenly got so incredibly deep just in the past 4 years.
I'll bet McIlroy doesn't come within 10 majors of woods......
the fields are the deepest they've even been...in days of old Julius Boros used to go out and get drunk the night before Sunday tee off times....Jack use to relax....

woods (and the rest of them) put in 8 to 10 hour days doing nothing but playing golf, lifing weights, cardio exercise, running, playing a minimum of 18 holes a day, work for 2 hours on their putting game, another hour on their chipping games

tell me on old timer that used to put in that kind of work
Goober McTuber

Post by Goober McTuber »

Felix wrote:
Goober McTuber wrote:

I'll bet McIlroy doesn't come within 10 majors of woods......
How much would you like to wager on that? He's 23 years old, and he's already half way there.

MuchoBulls
Tremendous Slouch

Post by MuchoBulls »

Could it be that the fields are deeper today as a direct result of the technological improvements made in clubs and golf balls?
Dreams......Temporary Madness
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

I don't think so, Mucho.

Same as always, players all have access to the same equipment. Despite golf equipment marketing, better equipment doesn't make you play any better in comparison to others.

Frankly, I think the deeper fields of today are in no small part because of Tiger Woods, and several other likable, athletic guys playing in the 90's. It attracted more athletic kids to want to excel at golf.
Ken

Post by Ken »

Agreed that Tiger has something to do with it, as Dins said. But, I think one of the major reasons is due to the boatloads of cash that can be made on the tour these days. If you have a reasonable chance of making the tour, that is quite the carrot hangin’ out there. Golfers today will go to no ends to make the tour including strength and conditioning, working with expensive coaches, proper nutrition, and a helluva lot of practice which will lead to better players earning their card. Can’t say the golfers of yesteryears went to those lengths. Hell, today, even if you can’t make the tour, pretty good cash can be made on the Web.com tour.
Felix
2012 JAFFL Champ

Post by Felix »

Goober McTuber wrote: How much would you like to wager on that? He's 23 years old, and he's already half way there.
tell you what, I'll bet you whatever amount you want if you're willing to bet me the same amount that eldrick never wins another major....

deal?
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Ken wrote:Golfers today will go to no ends to make the tour including strength and conditioning, working with expensive coaches, proper nutrition, and a helluva lot of practice which will lead to better players earning their card. Can’t say the golfers of yesteryears went to those lengths.

You forgot the part about slamming massive amounts of PEDs.
BSmack

Post by BSmack »

Ken wrote:Agreed that Tiger has something to do with it, as Dins said. But, I think one of the major reasons is due to the boatloads of cash that can be made on the tour these days.
Funny how those boatloads of cash started appearing right after Eldrick's pro career launched.
If you have a reasonable chance of making the tour, that is quite the carrot hangin’ out there. Golfers today will go to no ends to make the tour including strength and conditioning, working with expensive coaches, proper nutrition, and a helluva lot of practice which will lead to better players earning their card. Can’t say the golfers of yesteryears went to those lengths. Hell, today, even if you can’t make the tour, pretty good cash can be made on the Web.com tour.
Also thanks to Tiger's hyper obsessive work habits.

Yea, Tiger has a LOT to do with it.

—Earl Sinclair

- Antonio Brown