Cali Style 'Q on the Kettle

"Hey Mikey"

Moderator: Mikey

mvscal
Blank

Cali Style 'Q on the Kettle

Post by mvscal »

After some positive encouragement from a couple people who I think might know what the fuck they're talking about, I decided to see what my Weber Kettle grill can do as a half-assed smoker. Fortunately, California style BBQ is well suited. Cali style originated on the cattle ranches of central coast California around the town of Santa Maria in the mid 1800s. The signature grub was top block sirloin cut about three inches thick and spit roasted or grilled over red oak fires. Later the tri tip cut from the bottom sirloin became popular. It's tasty as all fuck and doesn't require a long cook or fancy seasoning/marinade bullshit. This is a 3.25 lbs tri tip.

Just carpet bomb it with kosher salt, granulated or powdered garlic and coarse ground black pepper (use Telicherry peppercorns, yes you'll notice the difference as soon as you open it).

Set up the grill for indirect heat and a hot burn. I used a full chimney of mesquite lump (probably overkill) and a water pan heat sink. Cooked for about 45 minutes or so and then turned it and went for another 30 minutes until internal temp was 135. Then sear for a few minutes each side over direct heat.

Let rest for ten minutes and carve. I don't wash the platter after seasoning and use it to carve the steak after it's done. The juices are perfect that way on top of the sliced meat.

Served with Santa Maria style salsa, creamy white beans w/ garlic and onions, a green salad and garlic bread. I gotta be honest here, porterhouse steaks can suck my ass and balls. This is the better steak by far. Purchased at Stater Bros. for $4.99 lbs.

Screw_Michigan wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:39 pmUnlike you tards, I actually have functioning tastebuds and a refined pallet.
R-Jack
Non Sequitur Legend

Re: Cali Style 'Q on the Kettle

Post by R-Jack »

Nice healthy cap of fat you left on there. If you want those smoke rings through the whole roast, you gotta trim that.

Looked like a nice warm juicy pink middle. That's never a bad thing. :mrgreen:
Mikey
Carbon Neutral since 1955

Post by Mikey »

Nice. Is this your first foray into tri tip?

Like you said, the traditional Santa Maria bbq uses red oak, but you don't need to be 100% traditional to get a good result. I find tri tip to be about the juiciest cut of beef available if done right. I usually use Scott's Santa Maria seasoning, but I may give your mixture a try.

My grill isn't a Weber, it's an offset smoker that can also be used with the fire directly under the grill. The fire tray (or whatever you call the grate you put the coals on) can be raised or lowered to 4 or 5 positions from right under the grill to maybe 10 inches down. I use a full chimney of regular briquettes. When completely engulfed I dump it out and lower the fire to the lowest level. At that point I add a couple chunks of unburned oak (or mesquite) at the edge of the coals to generate smoke. Cook directly over the coals (not the wood) for 5 minutes or so on each side to sear, then move to the side and cook indirect at around 300 deg until 130 - 135 deg in the center. It takes maybe 30 - 35 minutes total cooking time. Then cover with foil to rest. You could do it this way with a Webber too.

Mine comes out looking a lot like yours on the outside, medium rare on the inside. More variation from outside to the center than yours, kind of like a very thick steak or a small roast, from the hotter temperature and shorter cooking time.

Got a recipe for those beans?
mvscal
Blank

Post by mvscal »

Mikey wrote:Nice. Is this your first foray into tri tip?
Well, I've eaten my fair share before, but this was the first time I've done one on the Weber. As truman pointed out, I have been under-utilizing my grill. The biggest reason I have avoided using it for an extended indirect cook has been the top grill. It's all one piece so it could be problematic if I had to add more briquettes or wood chunks. I saw these and put a not so subtle hint out for my birthday. I believe these will perfect an already brilliantly designed grill.

I usually use Scott's Santa Maria seasoning, but I may give your mixture a try.
I think my mixture pretty much is their blend. That is the traditional Santa Maria rub. I think they might add some granulated onion to theirs. I use it on all beef roasts regardless. I don't use blended seasonings anymore mostly because none of them use Tellicherry peppercorns. I got that tip from Hazan in the fundamentals section at the beginning or her book.
Cook directly over the coals (not the wood) for 5 minutes or so on each side to sear, then move to the side and cook indirect at around 300 deg until 130 - 135 deg in the center. It takes maybe 30 - 35 minutes total cooking time. Then cover with foil to rest. You could do it this way with a Webber too.

Mine comes out looking a lot like yours on the outside, medium rare on the inside. More variation from outside to the center than yours, kind of like a very thick steak or a small roast, from the hotter temperature and shorter cooking time.
That is what I did except that I started indirect and seared at the end. The order probably doesn't matter much. My girls prefer medium so that was the overall target and I got a couple slices of med-rare at the center ranging out to well at the ends. They were all tender enough. I had my concerns with a low price point cut from a regular grocery store.
Got a recipe for those beans?
You bet. It's pretty quick and tasty. From Food and Wine:

1/4 cup plus 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
2 large onions, thinly sliced
10 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
1 scant tablespoon chopped rosemary
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
Two 15-ounce cans cannellini (or any white) beans, drained and rinsed
2 tablespoons chopped flat-leaf parsley
1 cup water (or chicken stock)
1/4 cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano

In a large saucepan, heat the olive oil until shimmering. Add the onions, garlic, rosemary and crushed red pepper and season with salt and pepper. Cover and cook over moderately high heat, stirring occasionally, until just softened, about 5 minutes. Uncover and cook over moderately low heat, stirring occasionally, until the onions are very soft and lightly caramelized, about 15 minutes longer. Stir in the beans, parsley and water and simmer until stewy, about 5 minutes. Stir in the cheese and season with salt and pepper. Serve warm or at room temperature.

It goes great with roasted meats and garlic bread.
Screw_Michigan wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:39 pmUnlike you tards, I actually have functioning tastebuds and a refined pallet.
trev
New Sheriff in Town

Post by trev »

I love the blue and white plate!
Truman
Eternal Scobode

Post by Truman »

'Bout, time, you fuckin' weenie-hugger. Now try it on a real piece of meat.

BTW...

I'd eat that, and fight you for seconds...
mvscal wrote:I had my concerns with a low price point cut from a regular grocery store.
Two schools of thought on that. You drop the cash, buy the best cut bovine-ably or porcine-ably possible, and most-likely serve your efforts to rave reviews and catcalls to open a restaurant.

The tradition of barbecue, however, is to take a cheap-ass cut of meat and turn it into a feast worthy of royalty. Not sayin' there's a "right" way one-way-or-another, but the brothers workin' the pits in Kansas City and Memphis didn't have access to Kobe-style briskets ('sup Gaysc) or Berkshire babybacks. To each his own.

BTW, nice to see you got over on the fam for a grate that cost more than Dinsdale's smoker. Other folks might mix-in a couple of hot pads and a 5 gallon bucket to support the cooking grate while they re-fired their Weber, but that's just other folks.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Truman wrote:BTW, nice to see you got over on the fam for a grate that cost more than Dinsdale's smoker. Other folks might mix-in a couple of hot pads and a 5 gallon bucket to support the cooking grate while they re-fired their Weber, but that's just other folks.

Hehehehe. Bucket/whatever setup works for me.

I think I would have invested the dough in an ECB, but call me crazy.

When they have the Oregon BBQ Chsmpionships (right on the freaking beach in Lincoln City), the mandatory dish is tri-tip, and a choice of one other cut. The BBQ Championship brings in bigwigs from the KC BBQ Association (or whatever they're called) to judge. Tri-tip is "traditional BBQ" on the Left Coast.

Your TT looks good, mv. Only thing I think I'd do differently would be a much lower-temp, longer cook -- more moist meat. Searing afterwards (if you even sear) is definitely done at the end, to utilize the chemical reactions of the smoke. If it's warm out, a dozen briquettes and a chunk of wood should be plenty of indirect heat (I've done plenty of smoking on a Weber kettle). Build the fire on one side of the botton grate, and open the two closest vents on the bottom (if it has the individual vents). Put the meat on the opposite side of the kettle (your water pan idea is excellent), and put the top vent over the meat... and the slower the better... don't be afraid to spend 3-4 hours cooking a chunk that size.

Not saying it's the only way... plenty of ways to skin a cat, and plenty of good ones), just sayin it's how I'd do it. The slower, the more moist... fairly universal rule.
I got 99 problems but the 'vid ain't one
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

I'll be fixing one tonight using a higher temp method. I'll take some pics and post them if I remember.

It's not smoking in the low and slow sort of way, but with a lot of smoke from the get go it comes out with a nice smoky flavor. And, I've NEVER had a problem with it not being moist.
mvscal
Blank

Post by mvscal »

Dinsdale wrote:Your TT looks good, mv. Only thing I think I'd do differently would be a much lower-temp, longer cook -- more moist meat. Searing afterwards (if you even sear) is definitely done at the end, to utilize the chemical reactions of the smoke. If it's warm out, a dozen briquettes and a chunk of wood should be plenty of indirect heat (I've done plenty of smoking on a Weber kettle). Build the fire on one side of the botton grate, and open the two closest vents on the bottom (if it has the individual vents). Put the meat on the opposite side of the kettle (your water pan idea is excellent), and put the top vent over the meat... and the slower the better... don't be afraid to spend 3-4 hours cooking a chunk that size.

Not saying it's the only way... plenty of ways to skin a cat, and plenty of good ones), just sayin it's how I'd do it. The slower, the more moist... fairly universal rule.
I did consider doing it low and slow but didn't really think it was necessary with this cut of meat. There is no tough connective tissue to break down so it's just a matter of getting it to the target internal reading with a cook temp equivalent to an oven roast. It still picks up a pretty good smoke flavor in a 90 minute cook but it isn't overwhelming either. The best tri tip I've eaten was always something between a grilled steak/roast beef and smoked meat.

I've got another one in the freezer I might do low and slow if I can get something other than mesquite to do it.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

The folks in Southern Oregon have been ranting and raving how madrona (madrone) is the ultimate smoking wood.

I'll have to grab some next time I'm there. Grows aplenty around here, especially in North Portland near the rivers, but not in places where I'd pull out a saw and start chopping.
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Picked up a tri-tip at Costco yesterday and cooked it on the smoker grill. Prolly has more total grill area than the Weber kettle so it gives you some more options. Plus, the grate that the coals sit on can be adjusted to four or five heights, which is nice. For fish and thin cuts of meat (like flank steak for carne asada) I pretty much use the highest height. For the tri-tip I put it all the way down so there's maybe eight to ten inches of space underneath the grill.

Full chimney of standard briquettes

At this point I've spread the coals, added a couple of chunks of mesquite (I added two more later) and lowered the grate all the way

The meat has been sitting out in its package for over an hour to bring it to room temperature (a very important step). Then I applied a liberal coating of Scott's to both sides.

I put the meat on the grill over the coals but not over the wood chunks, because it gets too hot there and being on top of the coals they are closer to the grill. This is about 10 minutes in, after turning it for the first time. Nicely seared on side one.

Hard to tell, but the mesquite is making a large amount of smoke by this time. Notice that wood is on the right, near the air intake (which you can't see), and the meat is between the wood and the vent on top.

Twenty minutes in. Both sides are nicely grilled so I moved it just away from the coals, and added my corn. The wood always flames up when I open the lid but quickly subsides when I close it. How do I know that if I can't see it? You figure it out.

Thirty minutes total cooking time, and 10 minutes under foil in the kitchen. I took it off when the thermometer read 130 in the thickes part. I actually like it a little more rare, but this was really good. The thermometer in the smoker read about 350 degrees for most of the time.

Mikey

Post by Mikey »

I almost forgot...the wine pairing.

This is a 2007 Rioja Reserve Tempranillo that I also picked up at Costco, for $9.99. I've always liked this type of wine and it seemed like a good deal. Looked it up on the iPhone while perusing Costco and apparently this is an amazing deal. Rated #18 of top 100 wines of 2011 by Wine Enthusiast, or some mag. Can't always trust ratings but it got some good individual reviews as well, so I bought 6 bottles and was not disappointed. It was great with the tri-tip. I might go back and get some more to save for later.

Carson
2012 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by Carson »

This reminds me: Char Grillers like Mikey's (and mine) are on sale at the g-store now for $99.99, hard to beat just no smoke box on the side.

cal: You have room for a Webber, do you have room for an ECB? That way you could water smoke.
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Carson wrote:This reminds me: Char Grillers like Mikey's (and mine) are on sale at the g-store now for $99.99, hard to beat just no smoke box on the side.
Are they set up so you can add the box?
Carson
2012 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by Carson »

You'd have to drill the bolt holes but the air vent is in the same place.
missjo
I'm a Fucking Princess

Post by missjo »

Out of Curiosity where is the Tri tip cut from on the cow?
It's not a cut of meat we have here in Oz
You just can't fix stupid...trust me I've tried
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Also called "bottom sirloin butt" or "triangle roast".

http://www.iwing.org/tritip.htm

Ten years ago it was almost considered a throw-away cut and could be had for $1.99 - $2.99 per lb. People have since discovered that, when cooked right, it's one of the tastiest, juiciest cuts you can get. Commonly sells now for $5.99 - $7.99 out here.
mvscal
Blank

Post by mvscal »

missjo wrote: It's not a cut of meat we have here in Oz
Or in most of the US for that matter. It's mostly a West Coast thing.
Goober McTuber
World Renowned Last Word Whore

Post by Goober McTuber »

mvscal wrote:
missjo wrote: It's not a cut of meat we have here in Oz
Or in most of the US for that matter. It's mostly a West Coast thing.
I've never seen it in a store here.
Joe in PB wrote: Yeah I'm the dumbass
schmick, speaking about Larry Nassar's pubescent and prepubescent victims wrote: They couldn't even kick that doctors ass

Seems they rather just lay there, get fucked and play victim
R-Jack
Non Sequitur Legend

Post by R-Jack »

You'd fuck it up trying to pan sear it anyway.
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

R-Jack wrote:You'd fuck it up trying to pan sear it anyway.
:lol:
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Been cooking tritips outdoors for over 20 years. I guess it's a West Coast thing.

Mikey wrote:Rated #18 of top 100 wines of 2011 by Wine Enthusiast, or some mag. Can't always trust ratings

When my buddy's winery (which I work for occasionally, and someday, I'll probably take a big pay cut to make it a lousy career to retire on) gets 90 or better, we trust them... otherwise it's obviously rigged.

I'm guesing a good temp with some good smokey cow was deece.
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Dinsdale wrote:Been cooking tritips outdoors for over 20 years. I guess it's a West Coast thing.

Mikey wrote:Rated #18 of top 100 wines of 2011 by Wine Enthusiast, or some mag. Can't always trust ratings

When my buddy's winery (which I work for occasionally, and someday, I'll probably take a big pay cut to make it a lousy career to retire on) gets 90 or better, we trust them... otherwise it's obviously rigged.

I'm guesing a good temp with some good smokey cow was deece.

What I'm wondering is who picked the 100 wines and did he drink a) each of the 100 in the ranking and b) all of the others that were left out. I'd prolly be pretty drunk after the first, oh, 20 or so.

I read a few pretty positive reviews from people who actually tried this one and from what I hear Spain has pretty good quality controls on their appellations (Denominación de Origen). A 2007 Rioja Reserve is bound to be a decent wine and at $9.99 probably a good buy.

[MA]In the end it all comes down to what you like[/MA]

Definitely went well with the cow.
mvscal
Blank

Post by mvscal »

Mikey wrote:...and from what I hear Spain has pretty good quality controls on their appellations (Denominación de Origen). A 2007 Rioja Reserve is bound to be a decent wine and at $9.99 probably a good buy.

[MA]In the end it all comes down to what you like[/MA]

Definitely went well with the cow.
I definitely enjoy Spanish wines. There are lots of great bargains.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Mikey wrote: What I'm wondering is who picked the 100 wines and did he drink a) each of the 100 in the ranking and b) all of the others that were left out. I'd prolly be pretty drunk after the first, oh, 20 or so.

It's done by panels, over several days, tasting groups of a given varietals in what they call "flights."

The wines are submitted by the winery. Takes a whole buncha tasters to sift through the thousands they get (which are mostly crap).

On a sidenote -- don't know how Cali is doing, but Mother Nature is making up for the last 2 years of crappy grape weather in the U&L -- could be a great year for Oregon and Washington wines.
Goober McTuber
World Renowned Last Word Whore

Post by Goober McTuber »

I stopped by one of the better local meat counters last week. Asked the butcher if he knew what a tri-tip was. He said that yes, he did. I asked if they ever got them in there. He said that no, they didn’t. Apparently they’ve bread them out of the local livestock.
Joe in PB wrote: Yeah I'm the dumbass
schmick, speaking about Larry Nassar's pubescent and prepubescent victims wrote: They couldn't even kick that doctors ass

Seems they rather just lay there, get fucked and play victim
mvscal
Blank

Post by mvscal »

Toddowen wrote:
mvscal wrote:

I've been meaning to grab a hinged cooking grate for my Weber, but those cast iron grates are a serious game changer.

I'm sure the $70 bucks for the 18.5 would be worth it. Think I'll spring for one.
I got mine today. It looks exactly like it does in the pic. I'm getting fired up. It looks great.
mvscal
Blank

Post by mvscal »

Mikey wrote:At this point I've spread the coals, added a couple of chunks of mesquite (I added two more later) and lowered the grate all the way

I'm done with mesquite. Mesquite lump is fine for heat, but I'll never smoke with mesquite wood again. Go to Home Depot, they should have a decent assortment of woods that aren't common in SoCal. I found pecan, cherry, apple, hickory and alder chunks at the local HD.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

mvscal wrote:I found cherry, apple, and alder chunks at the local HD.

I find those in my neighborhood.

Got this oak chunk charcoal (since on a saturday afternoon, the big store in the ghetto was out of everything else except the crime against man and nature known as "match light"). Works pretty darn well, lots of heat, just a tolerable bit of smoke... can't remember the name for the life of me... pretty sure it was actually from Mexico.
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

I've got a bunch of oak logs in my back yard from a tree we removed last year. Not red oak, but still oak and white oak works well too. Just need to chunk it up. I've also got some wood from a wild orange tree we took down and may experiment with that a little too.