Crab & Shrimp Boil

"Hey Mikey"

Moderator: Mikey

Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Re: Crab & Shrimp Boil

Post by Screw_Michigan »

Great PET, Scrote. I would love to do that sometime out here (you know where I live) when blue crab season hits peak (Sept/Oct).
kcdave wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 8:05 am
I was actually going to to join in the best bets activity here at good ole T1B...The guy that runs that contest is a fucking prick
Derron wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 3:07 pm
You are truly one of the worst pieces of shit to ever post on this board. Start giving up your paycheck for reparations now and then you can shut the fuck up about your racist blasts.
Carson
2012 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by Carson »

Zartans
If you mean Zatarain's, that is the ONLY boil mix to use, bar none.

I've never had Cajun Boil with crab legs but it looks good. Mudbugs are the standard.
Mikey
Carbon Neutral since 1955

Post by Mikey »

Toddowen wrote: But don't feel so clueless. Lots of people from California are the same way from what I remember. Some of my neighbors would be horrified at me cleaning fish or preparing some baked-stuffed lobsters. A McD's fillet-o-fish sandwich is all a great many of them know of seafood.

Yeah, we don't get much seafood in California, being all land-locked and stuff.

Maybe if you had ventured outside of Compton or South Central or Bakersfield, or wherever it was that you found you could afford, you might have had a different experience.
Goober McTuber
World Renowned Last Word Whore

Post by Goober McTuber »

Screw_Michigan wrote:(you know where I live)

:?
Joe in PB wrote: Yeah I'm the dumbass
schmick, speaking about Larry Nassar's pubescent and prepubescent victims wrote: They couldn't even kick that doctors ass

Seems they rather just lay there, get fucked and play victim
Dr_Phibes
P.H.D - M.B.E. - O.B.E.

Post by Dr_Phibes »

Toddowen wrote: Too scared of seafood? :lol:
:meds:

mvscal
Blank

Post by mvscal »

Mikey wrote:
Toddowen wrote: But don't feel so clueless. Lots of people from California are the same way from what I remember. Some of my neighbors would be horrified at me cleaning fish or preparing some baked-stuffed lobsters. A McD's fillet-o-fish sandwich is all a great many of them know of seafood.

Yeah, we don't get much seafood in California, being all land-locked and stuff.

Maybe if you had ventured outside of Compton or South Central or Bakersfield, or wherever it was that you found you could afford, you might have had a different experience.
Actually he has a point. There are assloads of transplants from flyover country who are pretty well ignorant of seafood.
Screw_Michigan wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:39 pmUnlike you tards, I actually have functioning tastebuds and a refined pallet.
mvscal
Blank

Post by mvscal »

Toddowen wrote:Here's what I'm talking about.

Two things I do differently: I don't remove the claws {only a pussy would} and I make one large cut over the entire length of the lobster starting at the head.
So you split them live? What are you? Some kind of sociopath? It doesn't take but a second to kill them properly and humanely before you split them.
Screw_Michigan wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:39 pmUnlike you tards, I actually have functioning tastebuds and a refined pallet.
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

KC Scott wrote:^^^ ? When we've bought live lobsters we dropped 'em right in the boiling pot
Yeah, I think that's pretty standard among normal, civilized human beings. This is Tarddowen we're talkinga bout here.
I was actually going to to join in the best bets activity here at good ole T1B...The guy that runs that contest is a fucking prick
You are truly one of the worst pieces of shit to ever post on this board. Start giving up your paycheck for reparations now and then you can shut the fuck up about your racist blasts.
mvscal
Blank

Post by mvscal »

KC Scott wrote:^^^ ? When we've bought live lobsters we dropped 'em right in the boiling pot
That's not the only way to cook lobster.
mvscal
Blank

Post by mvscal »

Toddowen wrote: I mean...c'mon. You want me to pet the thing and talk to it too?

It's a crustacean, for crust sakes. A sea critter. Not a sea guinea pig.
You can't take one second out of your busy day to stab him right between his beady little eye stalks before you dismember the poor blighter?
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

mvscal wrote:
Toddowen wrote: I mean...c'mon. You want me to pet the thing and talk to it too?

It's a crustacean, for crust sakes. A sea critter. Not a sea guinea pig.
You can't take one second out of your busy day to stab him right between his beady little eye stalks before you dismember the poor blighter?

He's thinking about his ex-neighbor when he does that. The more pain the better.
mvscal
Blank

Post by mvscal »

Toddowen wrote:
mvscal wrote:
That is EXACTLY what I do. I start at the head {unlike the guy in the vid who slices down the tail first and then turns the lobster around and makes the kill cut}
Ah, well...carry on.
Truman
Eternal Scobode

Post by Truman »

Jsc810 wrote:
Ever tried this stuff? Check it out.

Staple.
trev
New Sheriff in Town

Post by trev »

This makes me sad. I don't really like lobster all that much, and killing them by boiling them live is cruel in my opinion. And Todd's way, even worse.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Ever seen how they do chickens, cows, and pigs?
I got 99 problems but the 'vid ain't one
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

And carrots. They rip them right from the ground.
trev
New Sheriff in Town

Post by trev »

I would prefer not to know how they do chickens, pigs and cows. I think we should take better care of our animals.
mvscal
Blank

Post by mvscal »

trev wrote: And Todd's way, even worse.
Stabbing them in the "brain" kills them almost instantly. It's the most humane way of dispatching a tasty dinner.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

What few realize, and serves as yet more fuel for my "you've never had fresh salmon" schtick, is the distress on an animal if it dies slowly, which fish/seafood is much more prone to...

Lactic acid buildup.

Lactic acid has a huge negative effect on meat flavor, and the more an animal suffers, the more they build.

And frankly, a commercial salmon ship couldn't care less (or about bacteria, either). Quickly and humanely dispatching a fish/animal is not only morally proper, it's a matter of practicality/quality as well.

When a real salmon angler banks/boats a fish, it's immediately bonked on the head, then the gills slit so it bleeds out, since the blood carries the lactic acid. Plenty of people around here fish inappropriately heavy gear for salmon, to reduce the time of the fight, to mitigate the lactic acid (I believe their theory is flawed, but whatever).

Commercial outfits do no such thing, and the difference is quite notable.
mvscal
Blank

Post by mvscal »

Interesting but I don't think lobsters build up much lactic acid. They get brought up in baskets and then jabbed in the dome or dumped in a pot of boiling water.

For fish, though, I've never considered that. I've always given them a fishbat shampoo as soon they got they reeled in assuming it was for eating. That was just how my grandpappy did it.

How do you reckon that with a sport fish like tuna or swordfish? You aren't going to reel in one of those without a fight.
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

mvscal wrote:
How do you reckon that with a sport fish like tuna or swordfish?
Do they live in the U&L?
Goober McTuber
World Renowned Last Word Whore

Post by Goober McTuber »

mvscal wrote:Stabbing them in the "brain" kills them almost instantly. It's the most humane way of dispatching a tasty dinner.
Would probably also work well on a fat, drunken pedophile.
Joe in PB wrote: Yeah I'm the dumbass
schmick, speaking about Larry Nassar's pubescent and prepubescent victims wrote: They couldn't even kick that doctors ass

Seems they rather just lay there, get fucked and play victim
trev
New Sheriff in Town

Post by trev »

I'm not a seafood fan at all. I don't eat it. Maybe a tuna sandwich once in ahile, from a can. I walked into a seafood shop in Morro Bay recently and it was beautiful and did not smell fishy. And the prices were phenominal.
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

How the hell do you put that thing down? .45 Desert Eagle semi-automatic?

Mikey

Post by Mikey »

trev
New Sheriff in Town

Post by trev »

I was there because someone I was with wanted some smoked salmon.

Mikey

Post by Mikey »

trev wrote:I was there because someone I was with wanted some smoked salmon.
You didn't do that by yourself.

Very nice price for the swordfish, BTW. I'd jump all over that if I found it at my store.
The sole and cod are a little pricey.
trev
New Sheriff in Town

Post by trev »

Didn't do what?

I thought the prices were great, it didn't smell fishy and the cuts were excellent looking. I would love to live up on the central coast for the good beef and if I could get seafood like this. Plus it's so clean and uncrowded up there.
mvscal
Blank

Post by mvscal »

Mikey wrote: Very nice price for the swordfish, BTW. I'd jump all over that if I found it at my store.
The sole and cod are a little pricey.
Definitely. $15 a pound for albacore is also pretty ridiculous. OTOH, $15 for halibut isn't bad at all. The swordfish does look pretty damn good and a great buy.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Jsc -- halibut is not the same dealio... bring one on board alive (even with a gaff), and people get dead... oddly enough, that's why they do it that way.

But a redneck telling an Alaskan fisherman his job is nothing short of hilarious.

$15 for albacore? In a banner year, when the boats bring in more than the brokers can handle, I've seen whole fish as low as $1... about $0.25 a pound.
Ken
Most epic roll-call thread starter EVER

Post by Ken »

Jsc810 wrote:Get a gaff in it, then shoot it or kill it however you want. But having a fish next to a boat with only a fishing line and hook in it is a lost fish waiting to happen.
Bingo. And from what I saw, they did bring it in dead. What gets me is that it took 3-4 rounds, damn near point blank, to do so. Dude would not have stood a chance if he was armed in Aurora.
mvscal
Blank

Post by mvscal »

Toddowen wrote:I have never had hailbut. It's right near the top of the list of things I need to try.
That's surprising. It's good chit. I'd eat it a couple times a week if it wasn't so damn expensive. It's definitely worth a splurge for a special occassion, though.