is it okay to talk football here?

Fuck Jim Delany

Moderators: 88BuckeyeGrad, Left Seater, buckeye_in_sc

MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

is it okay to talk football here?

Post by MgoBlue-LightSpecial »

Seems this forum is only an outlet anymore for talk of realignment/sanctions/graduation rates/kiddo diddling. Yeah, yeah I know it's the off-season, but still.

We are getting closer and closer to actual football. Use this thread to break down/preview your team. What do you expect from them? What are some things I may not know? I would especially like to hear from the Boise fans.

Michigan State

Schedule:

8/31 vs Boise State
9/8 @ Central Michigan (<----not a typo. AT Central Michigan)
9/15 vs Notre Dame
9/22 vs Eastern Michigan
9/29 vs Ohio State
10/6 @ Indiana
10/13 vs Iowa
10/20 @ Michigan
10/27 @ Wisconsin
11/3 vs Nebraska
11/17 vs Northwestern
11/24 @ Minnesota

Expected preseason rank: low to mid teens

Key losses: QB Kirk Cousins, WR B.J. Cunningham, WR Keshawn Martin, OG Joel Foreman, DT Jerel Worthy, FS Trenton Robinson

Offense: MSU brings in a lot of fresh faces on O. They must replace their starting QB, all starting WRs and starting TE. Fortunately, QB Andrew Maxwell has been groomed to be the starter for three years, and he can lean on a solid running game led by bruiser, Le'Veon Bell, and an experienced offensive line, while he gets his feet wet under center.

Defense: MSU returns 9 out of 11 starters on a defense that ranked #1 in the Big Ten in 2011, and top 10 nationally. It all starts up front with the bookend DE combo of William Gholston (6'7", 280) and Marcus Rush, who's more of a DE/LB hybrid -- quick and savvy as hell. Gholston really came into his own at the end of last year. I forget how many tackles for loss he had against Georgia, but dude enjoyed a timeshare in their backfield. Big time playmakers in the LB corps and secondary as well. CB Johnny Adams is a potential 1st round draft pick, along with Gholston.

Special teams: Solid across the board. Return punter, kicker, good return man, deece coverage units.

In summary, everything will come down to the passing game. If they never get that going, they will have to rely on stout defense, ball control offense and field position battles, and lots of 14-10ish type games. If they can move the ball through the air, the sky is the limit for this team.

Regular season prediction: 10-2 (6-2) with losses to Wisconsin and one from the following: Ohio State, Nebraska, Michigan

Winner of "Legends" division, and will play Wisconsin again in the BTCCG.
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Re: is it okay to talk football here?

Post by Screw_Michigan »

MgoBlue-LightSpecial wrote: 9/8 @ Central Michigan (<----not a typo. AT Central Michigan)
Lotta respect for MSU for taking on the Michigan MAC schools in their own cribs. That's something we will NEVER see those pussies 70 miles SE of East Lansing ever do.

Please beat Central by 50. TIA.
kcdave wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 8:05 am
I was actually going to to join in the best bets activity here at good ole T1B...The guy that runs that contest is a fucking prick
Derron wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 3:07 pm
You are truly one of the worst pieces of shit to ever post on this board. Start giving up your paycheck for reparations now and then you can shut the fuck up about your racist blasts.
Van
2012 CFB Bowl Pick Champ

Post by Van »

USC Trojans

9/1/12 Hawaii
9/08/12 @Syracuse (sort of...Met Life Stadium, NJ)
9/15/12 @Stanford
9/22/22 Cal
10/4/12 @Utah (Thursday Night ESPN game)
10/13/12 @Washington
10/20/12 Colorado
10/27/12 @Arizona
11/03/12 Oregon
11/10/12 Arizona St
11/17/12 @UCLA
11/24/12 Notre Dame
11/30/12 Pac 12 Championship Game (Friday night)

Expected preseason rank: #1 or #2, depending on how deep the drawl of the pollster.

Key losses: Matt Kalil, Nick Perry

Offense: Unstoppable, provided their lack of depth at TB and FB doesn't make them too one-dimensional. Also, Robert Woods must finally overcome his year-plus issue with his ankle, which hampered him all last season and kept him entirely out of spring practice. Supposedly he'll be fine by the time this season starts and if he is then he'll team with Marqise Lee to form the most dominating WR duo in the nation. It comes down to health. Curtis McNeil needs to be able to stay on the field and provide balance with the rushing game. The offensive line including the TEs return intact, except for the enormous loss of junior LT Matt Kalil. Reports of progress of his replacement have mostly been positive, but a blindside anchor of that magnitude for Barkley cannot be fully replaced.

Defense: They return ten starters, with junior NFL-entrant Nick Perry (their sack leader) being the big loss on the DL. They've recently transitioned to more of a speed-based defense to combat all the spread offenses running amok throughout BTPCF and particularly up in Autzen, and supposedly Monte Kiffin's complex schemes are finally being grasped by his extremely young charges. Their secondary will be among the best in the nation, with safety TJ McDonald projected to be a 1st team All American. The main thing is their freakish speed at LB, with the one question having to do with their ability to generate enough of a conventional pass rush.

Special teams: They return a remarkably solid PK, who will only be a sophomore. Lot of speed in the return game, and they seem to have shored up their punt/kickoff return coverage. The special teams should not pose a problem.

In summary: Depth, that's the issue. They can ill afford injuries on the DL and at TB, where they barely go two-deep. Barkley will be his usual efficient self, but I don't expect to see quite the same prodigious numbers this season as Lane Kiffin looks to keep things as balanced as possible.

This is an all-or-nothing season, with no in-between. Either they run the table and win the national title or this season will be deemed a failure, and it will likely depend on the luck of the draw in terms of injuries. This is the season where the NCAA sanctions will really begin to take their effect on USC's depth, and it will only become more pronounced over the next two years, so they need to make hay while the sun is shining.

I don't see it happening. Too few things would have to go wrong. Besides avoiding key injuries in areas where there are limited backups, they also have to find a way to avoid the natural tendency to overlook someone and stub their toe somewhere along the way. Looking at their schedule, I really don't like that roadie to Stanford following a cross-country trip the previous week to New Jersey, and that Utah roadie looms as a classic Thursday night ESPN conference trap game. Washington in Seattle has always proven to be a tough spot for USC, then there's Oregon, who aren't going anywhere. Even Arizona in Tucson will be no picnic, as those Arizona roadies traditionally pose serious problems in conference play.

Whole lotta road games early in the season will severely test their mettle, and the season concludes with the traditional rivalry games @UCLA and at home against Notre Dame.

I know it sounds like a cop out, but I'd feel a helluva lot better about USC's chances of pulling this off had Nick Perry and especially Matt Kalil stuck around. Since they didn't, I see a 10-2 season and a close victory over Oregon in the CCG, followed by a victory over...Michigan?...in the Rose Bowl. Worst-case scenario, they find a third loss somewhere before snoring their way through a blah win in the Holiday Bowl. 13-1 with a Rose Bowl victory is a distinct possibility, and a perfect 14-0 season capped by the ending of the SEC's stranglehold on the national title is well within their grasp.

Perfect season concluding with a BCS national title: 25% chance.
13-1 with a Rose Bowl victory: 30% chance.
12-2 with a Rose Bowl victory: 35% chance.
10-3 with Van hanging from a shower rod: 10% chance.
Joe Satriani is a mime, right? - 88

Show me your dicks. - trev
M Club
el capitán

Post by M Club »

Michigan will be better than last year's team but lose twice as many games. They will probably only wear four different uniform combinations, up from the traditional two but down from the 42 last year. Oregon is our new rival.
The Seer
Just the Facts

Post by The Seer »

With the passage of the Duhrell & Skippy eras combined with my "glass half empty" pessimistic approach to life, it is difficult to summon much enthusiasm as the new season nears....

However, we now have a totally new regime & culture brewing. Mora has defined himself as the hard-ass coaching type as evidenced by the volume of spring injuries and dropped scholies.

Some key positions would appear to be well manned - QB, RB, DL, LB, DB. The O-line has lost some due to career ending injuries and or concussions.

Seems Mora's intent was to attract recruits by hiring a bunch of Assts with NFL pedigree; and it worked...nice if it turns out they can coach, too.

Mora projecting that vibe of failure is not an option...and the AD is hoping so because HIS career is dependent on this hire....

Still, it's another regime and there is that learning curve; but at least it will be refreshing to see the players leaving it out on the field and again being taught that it IS a contact sport.

With finally a reasonably favorable schedule, I'd be disappointed with less than 8 wins.

[img]2012 SCHEDULE

Date Opponent / Event Location Time / Result

08/30/12 at Rice Houston, TX 4:30 p.m. PT
09/08/12 vs. Nebraska Rose Bowl 4:30 p.m. PT
09/15/12 vs. Houston Rose Bowl 7:30 p.m. PT
09/22/12 vs. Oregon State Rose Bowl TBA
09/29/12 at Colorado Boulder, CO TBA
10/06/12 at California Berkeley, CA TBA
10/13/12 vs. Utah Rose Bowl TBA
10/27/12 at Arizona State Tempe, AZ TBA
11/03/12 vs. Arizona Rose Bowl TBA
11/10/12 at Washington State Pullman, WA TBA
11/17/12 vs. USC Rose Bowl TBA
11/24/12 vs. Stanford
[/img]

The losses being Nebraska, Usc, Stanford.
E UNUM PLURIBUS
WolverineSteve
2012 CFB Bowl Jeopardy Champ

Post by WolverineSteve »

Screw_Michigan wrote:
MgoBlue-LightSpecial wrote: 9/8 @ Central Michigan (<----not a typo. AT Central Michigan)
Lotta respect for MSU for taking on the Michigan MAC schools in their own cribs. That's something we will NEVER see those pussies 70 miles SE of East Lansing ever do.

Please beat Central by 50. TIA.
:meds: yeah, takes huge balls to roll into Mt Pleasant, Ypsilanti, or Kzoo, and play in front of hundreds in a hostile MAC crowds. Shut your cock garage. Any MAC school would rather get a Big House pay day than host Sparty.....it's simple math.

GO CHIPS!
"Gentlemen, it is better to have died as a small boy than to fumble this football."
-John Heisman

"Any street urchin can shout applause in victory, but it takes character to stand fast in defeat. One is noise --- the other, loyalty." Fielding Yost

Go Blue!
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

WolverineSteve wrote:
:meds: yeah, takes huge balls to roll into Mt Pleasant, Ypsilanti, or Kzoo
It does, that's why your pussy school won't do it and would rather buy wins.

Nice attitude you have there, Steve.
I was actually going to to join in the best bets activity here at good ole T1B...The guy that runs that contest is a fucking prick
You are truly one of the worst pieces of shit to ever post on this board. Start giving up your paycheck for reparations now and then you can shut the fuck up about your racist blasts.
Goober McTuber
World Renowned Last Word Whore

Post by Goober McTuber »

Wisconsin Badgers

09/01/12 vs. Northern Iowa Camp Randall Stadium 2:30 p.m. CT
09/08/12 at Oregon State Corvallis, Ore. 3:00 p.m. CT
09/15/12 vs. Utah State Camp Randall Stadium 7:00 p.m. CT
09/22/12 vs. UTEP Camp Randall Stadium TBA
09/29/12 at Nebraska * Lincoln, Neb. 7:00 p.m. CT
10/06/12 vs. Illinois * Camp Randall Stadium 2:30 p.m. CT
10/13/12 at Purdue * West Lafayette, Ind. 11:00 a.m. CT
10/20/12 vs. Minnesota * Camp Randall Stadium TBA
10/27/12 vs. Michigan State * Camp Randall Stadium 2:30 p.m. CT
11/10/12 at Indiana * Bloomington, Ind. TBA
11/17/12 vs. Ohio State * Camp Randall Stadium TBA
11/24/12 at Penn State * University Park, Pa. TBA
12/01/12 Big Ten Football Championship Game * Indianapolis, Ind. TBA

Badgers are good enough to beat anyone on their schedule, but they always lose a game they shouldn't. At Nebraska's probably their toughest game. They probably should split again against MSU, if so, hopefully losing the first and winning the second. I'd say 11-2 heading to the Rose Bowl and beating Toejam's cheating Bastards.

OOC schedule is embarrassing, though Alvarez and Bielema have suggested that they will be looking to upgrade with the new 4-team playoff looking at strength of schedule. Va Tech is alerady scheduled, and Alvarez wants to play home-and-home against Notre Dame when Michigan falls off their schedule. ESPN wants to match up Wisky and Alabama at a neutral site, but the Badgers prefer a home-and-home.

P.S. to Mgo - We will play UW-Whitewater. Anytime. Anywhere.
Joe in PB wrote: Yeah I'm the dumbass
schmick, speaking about Larry Nassar's pubescent and prepubescent victims wrote: They couldn't even kick that doctors ass

Seems they rather just lay there, get fucked and play victim
FLW Buckeye
2014 T1B FBBL Champ

Post by FLW Buckeye »

Goober McTuber wrote:Badgers are good enough to beat anyone on their schedule...

Not until they learn how to defend against the "Hail Mary" pass... :lol:
The Seer
Just the Facts

Post by The Seer »

Sudden Sam wrote:Sept. 1 vs. Michigan Arlington, Tex. (Cowboys Stadium)
Sept. 8 Western Kentucky Bryant-Denny Stadium
Sept. 15 at Arkansas TBD
Sept. 22 Florida Atlantic Bryant-Denny Stadium
Sept. 29 Mississippi Bryant-Denny Stadium
Oct. 6 Open Date
Oct. 13 at Missouri Columbia, Mo.
Oct. 20 at Tennessee Knoxville, Tenn.
Oct. 27 Mississippi State Bryant-Denny Stadium
Nov. 3 at LSU Baton Rouge, La.
Nov. 10 Texas A&M Bryant-Denny Stadium
Nov. 17 Western Carolina Bryant-Denny Stadium
Nov. 24 Auburn Bryant-Denny Stadium
And goobs stated HIS OOC was embarrassing......
E UNUM PLURIBUS
WolverineSteve

Post by WolverineSteve »

Screw_Michigan wrote:
WolverineSteve wrote:
:meds: yeah, takes huge balls to roll into Mt Pleasant, Ypsilanti, or Kzoo
It does, that's why your pussy school won't do it and would rather buy wins.

Nice attitude you have there, Steve.
Newsflash....CFB is Big Time business these days. It makes no sense to take on cupcakes at the bakery when playing in the Big House makes more loot, therefore more sense. Michigan has an athletic budget bigger than many countries, therefore giving money away is a stupid waste of time. the home games need to cover the vast majority of non revenue programs (newsflash #2). I'm all for going south, west, or east to play on big stages, the MAC doesn't offer that.....well, maybe big for lil bro.

Brandon is pissed that he inherited a road game to UCONN. That makes no financial sense, nor does it make for an intriging matchup.....just like games at MAC yards.
"Gentlemen, it is better to have died as a small boy than to fumble this football."
-John Heisman

"Any street urchin can shout applause in victory, but it takes character to stand fast in defeat. One is noise --- the other, loyalty." Fielding Yost

Go Blue!
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Too bad Big Money Michigan couldn't swing a home-and-home with Alabama. "Little Bro" did.

Mark Hollis (recently named AD of the year) knows what he's doing. A ballgame at Central doesn't jack me up, but I trust he found a way to play that game without bankrupting the program.
Van
2012 CFB Bowl Pick Champ

Post by Van »

Sam, on what planet where football is played will AJ McCarron and his six dink-and-dunk passes per game ever be considered a Heisman candidate?

You'll have Barkley and his monster numbers leading a national title contender. You'll have Mister 92,000 yards and 714 rushing TDs up at Camp Randall. You may even have Lightswitch filling up the highlight reels in Autzen.

McCarron? He'll win a Heisman for...? I got it! For not sounding like an ADD-afflicted bullfrog every time someone shoves a mic in his grill!

Oh, and Goobs...
I'd say 11-2 heading to the Rose Bowl and beating Toejam's cheating Bastards.
Nice thought and all, but not gonna happen. If USC gets there, they don't lose, not to a B1G squad. They are the very last team you want to see coming out of the tunnel at the Rose Bowl. Matt Barkley is not going to lose his final game as a Trojan in a Rose Bowl. You can count on that. They may trainwreck and not even get there, but if they keep their shit together well enough to make it to a BCS bowl, they're winning that bowl. Bank on it.

Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

MgoBlue-LightSpecial wrote:Too bad Big Money Michigan couldn't swing a home-and-home with Alabama. "Little Bro" did.

Mark Hollis (recently named AD of the year) knows what he's doing. A ballgame at Central doesn't jack me up, but I trust he found a way to play that game without bankrupting the program.
What is admirable about MSU playing in the MAC barns is that it is a larger reinvestment in the MAC schools (and their communities) than Steve's pussy school paying $750k for a body bag game at the Big Hole. Not only will MSU at Central be an instant sellout and a TV game but it will have overall tremendous media exposure than CMU at MSU would be. Plus its an even larger community windfall than having BC or Indiana come play in Mt. P. And it's not like MSU is doing this out of the goodness of their hearts, I believe it's a 3-for-1 deal, so MSU still makes plenty of money in the end.

Too bad Steve can't see past the end of his crank for the wisdom in MSU's business decision. He'll just have to accept his AD can't negotiate his way out of a wet paper bag and will have to settle for being buttfucked in the mouf by Jerry Jones.
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

WolverineSteve wrote:Any MAC school would rather get a Big House pay day than host Sparty.....it's simple math.
That just might be the dumbest take ever posted on this board.
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Van wrote:Sam, on what planet where football is played will AJ McCarron and his six dink-and-dunk passes per game ever be considered a Heisman candidate?
Being a QB or RB with at least one year of starting experience for a top 5 SEC team is all it takes to crack the ESPN September Heisman Watch. That, or be Denard Robinson.

But really, AJ McCarron? Would anybody know this guy if he played, for say, Virginia? Would Virginia fans know who he is if he played for Virginia?
Van
2012 CFB Bowl Pick Champ

Post by Van »

Quit it. Seriously.

:mrgreen:

Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

USC = 11-2, still make it to the Granddaddy.
I got 99 problems but the 'vid ain't one
Van
2012 CFB Bowl Pick Champ

Post by Van »

Dinsdale wrote:USC = 11-2, still make it to the Granddaddy.
Van wrote:Perfect season concluding with a BCS national title: 25% chance.
13-1 with a Rose Bowl victory: 30% chance.
12-2 with a Rose Bowl victory: 35% chance.
10-3 with Van hanging from a shower rod: 10% chance.
We agree.

Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

I'm not sure we agree about the team that will hand out the two losses.
Van
2012 CFB Bowl Pick Champ

Post by Van »

I'm thinking Utah and either Oregon or Stanford. You? Oh, wait a second. Since you said "team" and not "teams," are you thinking Oregon beats them twice? Oregon goes to the BCS title game and USC still goes to the Rose Bowl despite not winning the conference?

Truman
Eternal Scobode

Post by Truman »

Jsc810 wrote:Sep 1 North Texas
Sat, Sep 8 Washington
Sat, Sep 15 Idaho
Sat, Sep 22 at Auburn
Sat, Sep 29 Towson
Sat, Oct 6 at Florida
Sat, Oct 13 South Carolina
Sat, Oct 20 at Texas A&M
Sat, Nov 3 Alabama
Sat, Nov 10 Mississippi State
Sat, Nov 17 Mississippi
Fri, Nov 23 at Arkansas

There are three games on there that should not be there, although I won't bitch too much about North Texas. But Idaho and especially Towson?? WTF??

In any event, as I said above, this year's team is better than last year's team, and an undefeated season is expected, by me at least. There will be an ass kicking on November 3.
EIGHT home games?! 'the hell, Jsc? Couldn't you guys buy out A&M for a ninth? Slackers....
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Van wrote:I'm thinking Utah and either Oregon or Stanford. You? Oh, wait a second. Since you said "team" and not "teams," are you thinking Oregon beats them twice? Oregon goes to the BCS title game and USC still goes to the Rose Bowl despite not winning the conference?
Yup.

Although our SECesque schedule won't help.

Sat, Sep 01 Arkansas State Eugene, Ore. 7:30 p.m.
ESPN

Sat, Sep 08 Fresno State Eugene, Ore. 3:30 p.m.
Pac-12 Networks

Sat, Sep 15 Tennessee Tech Eugene, Ore. 12:00 p.m.
Pac-12 Networks

Sat, Sep 22 Arizona * Eugene, Ore. TBA
ESPN/ESPN2/ABC

Sat, Sep 29 Washington State * at Seattle, Wash. (CenturyLink Field) TBA

Sat, Oct 06 Washington * Eugene, Ore. TBA

Thu, Oct 18 Arizona State * at Tempe, Ariz. 6:00 p.m.
ESPN

Sat, Oct 27 Colorado * Eugene, Ore. TBA

Sat, Nov 03 USC * at Los Angeles, Calif. TBA

Sat, Nov 10 California * at Berkeley, Calif. TBA

Sat, Nov 17 Stanford * Eugene, Ore. TBA

Sat, Nov 24 Oregon State * at Corvallis, Ore. TBA
WolverineSteve

Post by WolverineSteve »

Screw_Michigan wrote:Not only will MSU at Central be an instant sellout and a TV game but it will have overall tremendous media exposure than CMU at MSU would be..
Is this you bragging about selling out a MAC venue?!?! Congrats pumpkin!

In Ann Arbor we're used to leading the nation in attendance year in and year out, so you'll excuse me if selling out Kelly/Shorts stadium doesn't register on my taint. No matter who UM brings in we're looking at 110k plus, in the worst of RRod's years UM led the country in attendance. Figure it out scooter, money runs this thing, you have it or you don't. Michigan has it....junior?, not so much. Congrats on the AD of the year....let me know how that translates in dollars, Olympians, or BCS games.
-John Heisman

Go Blue!
WolverineSteve

Post by WolverineSteve »

Sam, for sure! That's what I'm talking about! Roadies vs. mid majors are useless. Games vs top tier SEC etc....great tv, great atmosphere, great exposure, great impact on the CFB landscape...I'm in.
-John Heisman

Go Blue!
Van
2012 CFB Bowl Pick Champ

Post by Van »

Sam, I'm not stunned at all about it, principally because it's a thoroughly meaningless stat when comparing the two offenses. USC throws a lot. Bama barely throws at all, and when they do it's to wide-open receivers who are so wide-open because the defenses they face are typically stacked against the run.

Think Tim Tebow throwing for the Broncos. Same deal.

McCarron will not amass enough yards, attempts, completions or TDs to get within shouting distance of the SEC's top QBs, never mind Matt Barkley. Unless all the top candidates get hit by meteorites, McCarron has zero chance of being a serious Heisman candidate while playing in that system for Nick Saban.

The Seer
Just the Facts

Post by The Seer »

Dinsdale wrote: Although our SECesque schedule won't help.
Sat, Sep 01 Arkansas State Eugene, Ore. 7:30 p.m.
ESPN
Sat, Sep 15 Tennessee Tech Eugene, Ore. 12:00 p.m.
Pac-12 Networks
Is anybody being held accountable for that nonsense? I mean you can't even use the old "they were good when we scheduled them" routine....and this was done after you guys were on the map.....
E UNUM PLURIBUS
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

What's sad, Seer, is that it's just following the SEC model of getting to the championship game.

If they don't have to play real OOCs, why should we?
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

Sudden Sam wrote:Steve,

Can you imagine a home-and-home with Alabama?
Dave Brandon can only imagine.
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

WolverineSteve wrote:In Ann Arbor we're used to leading the nation in attendance year in and year out, so you'll excuse me if selling out Kelly/Shorts stadium doesn't register on my taint. No matter who UM brings in we're looking at 110k plus, in the worst of RRod's years UM led the country in attendance. Figure it out scooter, money runs this thing, you have it or you don't. Michigan has it....junior?, not so much. Congrats on the AD of the year....let me know how that translates in dollars, Olympians, or BCS games.
Read this article and you might understand some of the reasons why MSU is doing this:

http://www.lansingstatejournal.com/arti ... -MAC-unite

As part of the deal, MSU will only have to pay about HALF of the normal cost of hosting these schools. Considering they are getting 2 home games for 1 away, that is a nice chunk of savings, and a creative way to go about it. And let's face it, it's only 3 away games over a 10 year span. Not a big deal. Meanwhile, your AD is cutting costs by announcing he can't afford to send the band to Arlington so that he can bilk the money out of his donors.

Additionally, as the article suggests, these games generate a lot of money for the state. Screw is right, MSU is not doing this out of the goodness of their hearts, nor out of necessity. The appeal is that it's a win-win-win-win for all four schools in the state of Michigan. But I understand you've got a stigma to keep to..."We're Michigan! We're ABOVE THAT!" :meds:
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Dinsdale wrote:If they don't have to play real OOCs, why should we?
Exactly. Oregon scheduled those games because they're on the map.

I hope the new post-season selection process will bring about change to OOC scheduling, but I kinda doubt it.
Van
2012 CFB Bowl Pick Champ

Post by Van »

Supposedly this new playoffs committee plans on strongly emphasizing SOS, so that's encouraging. Such an emphasis would clearly place a premium on improving one's OOC scheduling.

To Dins's and Mgo's point, though, put it this way: Had Oregon played Tennessee Tech last year instead of LSU, guess who likely ends up in the BCS title game against LSU? One-loss Oregon, who lost a squeaker to USC, or one-loss Bama, who lost at home to LSU? (For the sake of argument, let's remove Okie St from this hypothetical.)

Pretty sure we would've gotten LSU-Oregon rather than an LSU-Bama rematch. Oregon scheduled themselves right out of a title game appearance.

Then again, they could've just won the fucking LSU game and that would've solved everything, but I digress....

Truman
Eternal Scobode

Post by Truman »

Van wrote:Supposedly this new playoffs committee plans on strongly emphasizing SOS, so that's encouraging. Such an emphasis would clearly place a premium on improving one's OOC scheduling.

To Dins's and Mgo's point, though, put it this way: Had Oregon played Tennessee Tech last year instead of LSU, guess who likely ends up in the BCS title game against LSU? One-loss Oregon, who lost a squeaker to USC, or one-loss Bama, who lost at home to LSU? (For the sake of argument, let's remove Okie St from this hypothetical.)

Pretty sure we would've gotten LSU-Oregon rather than an LSU-Bama rematch. Oregon scheduled themselves right out of a title game appearance.

Then again, they could've just won the fucking LSU game and that would've solved everything, but I digress....
You most certainly digress. WHY would you remove Oke State from the discussion?

The PAC is an inferior league. Three trips to the MNC in 15 years out front shoulda told you. And the ONLY title you brought home in that span was vacated because your champion cheated.

Automatic Qualifier to the Football 4? I'm thinking the ACC and Big East might have a legitimate bitch to dispute that, be that the case. Rack the PAC for displacing the old WAC and bringing late-night entertainment to America's Saturday nights. But to be taken seriously as a MNC-caliber contender? Not so much.

*Edit - SOS only weakens your argument. You're the PAC after all...
Van
2012 CFB Bowl Pick Champ

Post by Van »

I removed Okie St for the reason stated: for the sake of argument. It makes for a simpler comparison. The point was simply to show what Oregon's decision to schedule LSU did to their national title chances. Take away that loss to LSU and they very likely get the nod over a one-loss Bama team who'd already lost to LSU.

Anyway, since you feel like trolling me again with this Big XII-Pac 12 nonsense, a one-loss Oregon may have very well gotten in over Okie St too, since Oregon's lone loss would've been to USC, not to fucktastically awful Iowa St. Also, the Pac 12 has just as many national titles (2) over the past fifteen seasons as the Big XII while also producing more NFL players despite having 20% fewer teams for most of those fifteen years. Beside, since you're a Mizzou fan what the fuck do you even care about the Pac 12 vs the Big XII? You've had no skin in the game...ever. You're nothing but cannon fodder in either league, and now you've traded Husker/Sooner/Longhorn cock for Tide/Tiger cock. Mizzouri fan doesn't even know what real football looks like, other than for longing glances from afar.

*Edit: SOS has always benefitted the Pac more than any other league, and it's not even close.

Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Van wrote:Had Oregon played Tennessee Tech last year instead of LSU, guess who likely ends up in the BCS title game against LSU?

Funny how playing really well and winning games tends to take care of the external factors.
MiketheangrydrunkenCUfan
Baby Bitch

Post by MiketheangrydrunkenCUfan »

Colorado will be better than they were last year, and anything less than a crystal football will be a.disappointment.
"Keys, woman!"
M Club
el capitán

Post by M Club »

MgoBlue-LightSpecial wrote:
Read this article and you might understand some of the reasons why MSU is doing this:

http://www.lansingstatejournal.com/arti ... -MAC-unite

As part of the deal, MSU will only have to pay about HALF of the normal cost of hosting these schools. Considering they are getting 2 home games for 1 away, that is a nice chunk of savings, and a creative way to go about it. And let's face it, it's only 3 away games over a 10 year span. Not a big deal. Meanwhile, your AD is cutting costs by announcing he can't afford to send the band to Arlington so that he can bilk the money out of his donors.

Additionally, as the article suggests, these games generate a lot of money for the state. Screw is right, MSU is not doing this out of the goodness of their hearts, nor out of necessity. The appeal is that it's a win-win-win-win for all four schools in the state of Michigan. But I understand you've got a stigma to keep to..."We're Michigan! We're ABOVE THAT!" :meds:
You guys are bragging about a 3-for-1 when you can just schedule 900 home games against those teams without even considering giving them a return?

And oohhhhh, good job, arbitrary AD of the year (light years ahead of Brandon, a finalist for the same arbitrary award) for using a coupon he found in the Sunday paper to schedule Directional Michigan U's. I'll pretend Michigan made the same deal:

1st game at Michigan: 6 million gate - 750,000 payout
2nd game at directional school: 0
3rd game at Michigan: 6 million gate - 375,000 payout (A DISCOUNT!!!!)
4th game at Michigan: 6 million gate - 375,000 payout (A SECOND DISCOUNT!!!! FINALIST FOR AD OF THE YEAR!!!!!)

Srlsy, why bother with nearly 22 large when you can make a creative deal that rakes in 16.5? Oh right, the one day influx of cash into Ypsi, Kzoo, and Mt Pleasant-area McDonald's.

You may have noticed OOC game are starting to get a bit better. Hope you're still relevant by the time you roll into Ypsi so that EMU isn't much of a drag on your SOS.

And yes, Brandon's a douchebag who should've just scheduled a home-and-home with Bamar rather than pretended exposure for a team everyone's sick of is tantamount to getting paid.
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

M Club wrote:You guys are bragging about a 3-for-1 when you can just schedule 900 home games against those teams without even considering giving them a return?

And oohhhhh, good job, arbitrary AD of the year (light years ahead of Brandon, a finalist for the same arbitrary award) for using a coupon he found in the Sunday paper to schedule Directional Michigan U's. I'll pretend Michigan made the same deal:

1st game at Michigan: 6 million gate - 750,000 payout
2nd game at directional school: 0
3rd game at Michigan: 6 million gate - 375,000 payout (A DISCOUNT!!!!)
4th game at Michigan: 6 million gate - 375,000 payout (A SECOND DISCOUNT!!!! FINALIST FOR AD OF THE YEAR!!!!!)

Srlsy, why bother with nearly 22 large when you can make a creative deal that rakes in 16.5? Oh right, the one day influx of cash into Ypsi, Kzoo, and Mt Pleasant-area McDonald's.

You may have noticed OOC game are starting to get a bit better. Hope you're still relevant by the time you roll into Ypsi so that EMU isn't much of a drag on your SOS.

And yes, Brandon's a douchebag who should've just scheduled a home-and-home with Bamar rather than pretended exposure for a team everyone's sick of is tantamount to getting paid.
No, bragging is "Blah blah, we're Michigan, blah blah #1 in attendance rankings blah blah, we don't do that here cuz we're Michigan, blah blah we're so rich yet - oh hey, can you float us some cash for our band?" I wouldn't brag about playing a game at Rynearson; I'm justifying why it's being done. It's possible Hollis actually spent more than the 2 minutes it took you to craft your retort and came to the conclusion that it was lucrative for MSU to do this. I didn't run the tape, so I'll have to assume it was, otherwise...why do it?
Goober McTuber
World Renowned Last Word Whore

Post by Goober McTuber »

MgoBlue-LightSpecial wrote:
Dinsdale wrote:If they don't have to play real OOCs, why should we?
Exactly. Oregon scheduled those games because they're on the map.

I hope the new post-season selection process will bring about change to OOC scheduling, but I kinda doubt it.
If they've got Alvarez and Bielema looking to dump a cupcake or two, I think it's working.
Joe in PB wrote: Yeah I'm the dumbass
schmick, speaking about Larry Nassar's pubescent and prepubescent victims wrote: They couldn't even kick that doctors ass

Seems they rather just lay there, get fucked and play victim
M Club
el capitán

Post by M Club »

MgoBlue-LightSpecial wrote: No, bragging is "Blah blah, we're Michigan, blah blah #1 in attendance rankings blah blah, we don't do that here cuz we're Michigan, blah blah we're so rich yet - oh hey, can you float us some cash for our band?" I wouldn't brag about playing a game at Rynearson; I'm justifying why it's being done. It's possible Hollis actually spent more than the 2 minutes it took you to craft your retort and came to the conclusion that it was lucrative for MSU to do this. I didn't run the tape, so I'll have to assume it was, otherwise...why do it?
Michigan's #1 in attendance because it has the biggest stadium. Ja, obnoxious talking point but also practical when you consider 112,000 x $60ish average ticket price ÷ 0 incentive to use the OOC schedule for anything other than generating income = who knows why Hollis did it. Maybe he foresaw a period in BTCFB where you can only schedule one or two body bags a year and tried to lock up the obvious local choices before Brandon did. Otherwise, wouldn't put much faith in these people as "smarter than us," otherwise I'd be sitting here asking the same "why do it?" about half the shit Brandon does, like ask for money to bring the band to Arlington even though he has $14 billion in his checking account.