Anyone here familiar with Texas?

It's the 17th Anniversary for T1B - Fuckin' A

Moderator: Jesus H Christ

Ana Ng
Typhoid Mary

Anyone here familiar with Texas?

Post by Ana Ng »

The San Antonio area, to be exact.

We're looking for a place to buy a home and actually STAY after the husband retires in 2015, and I've been told that San Antonio/Austin are deece places to be. With the exception of Southern San Antonio. (I'm assuming it's because it's closer to Mexico)

Anyhow, any info would be helpful. I've done some research on my own, but it'd be cool to read from people, or in this case...YOU guys, that might've actually lived there.

K, thanks.

War Wagon wrote:There is a God and my tomato garden is proof of that.
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Re: Anyone here familiar with Texas?

Post by smackaholic »

You mean to tell me you haven't fallen in love with NH/Maine yet?

Weather pussy.
mvscal wrote:The only precious metals in a SHTF scenario are lead and brass.
Goober McTuber
World Renowned Last Word Whore

Post by Goober McTuber »

I’ve heard that Austin, TX is somewhat similar to Madison, WI, so that’s definitely a huge plus.

I’ve also heard that the only things that come out of Texas are steers and queers.

Glad I could help.
Joe in PB wrote: Yeah I'm the dumbass
schmick, speaking about Larry Nassar's pubescent and prepubescent victims wrote: They couldn't even kick that doctors ass

Seems they rather just lay there, get fucked and play victim
Mikey
Carbon Neutral since 1955

Post by Mikey »

If I had a choice between living in Texas and shoving knitting needles through both eyes, it would be a hard choice.
Ana Ng
Typhoid Mary

Post by Ana Ng »

smackaholic wrote:You mean to tell me you haven't fallen in love with NH/Maine yet?

Weather pussy.
I was hoping for more snow, actually. Kinda disappointing.

Not a fan of the humidity here, though.

Oh, and if people driving like utter shiitake isn't bad enough, the condition of the roads here are fuxxing horrendous.
Ana Ng
Typhoid Mary

Post by Ana Ng »

See, I heard that Austin is nice too, but that it's saturated with college kids.

I was thinking maybe Northern SA? I dunno.

Texas is supposed to be military friendly, I hear?
Ana Ng
Typhoid Mary

Post by Ana Ng »

Mikey wrote:If I had a choice between living in Texas and shoving knitting needles through both eyes, it would be a hard choice.
Let's hope that "tossing your keyboard into a wood-chipper" is your 3rd option, then.
BSmack
2005 and 2010 JFFL Champion

Post by BSmack »

I have been to all of the major Texas cities and a few of the smaller ones, and Austin is by far the most livable area that I have seen in Texas. It is by far the music capitol of Texas, you have great college sports, major league teams in all 4 major sports are within a drivable distance and the folks there are a tad more moderate than the rest of Texas socially and politically.

But if you are not a fan of humidity, you might want to cross Texas off your list entirely. Some of the most humid weather I ever saw in my life was in the San Antonio-Austin-College Station area of Texas. Well, that is to say other than every second I have ever spent in Houston it was the most humid and hot I have ever seen.

If you want a dry heat, look into Albuquerque, Santa Fe, Flagstaff, Tuscon or Sedona. You could try Las Vegas too. You would probably find some killer deals on foreclosed homes there.
"Once upon a time, dinosaurs didn't have families. They lived in the woods and ate their children. It was a golden age."

—Earl Sinclair

"I do have respect for authority even though I throw jelly dicks at them.

- Antonio Brown
Ana Ng
Typhoid Mary

Post by Ana Ng »

Ya, I heard about the humidity in Texas. I'm relying on a gang of central air piped directly up my ass.
BSmack

Post by BSmack »

Ana Ng wrote:Ya, I heard about the humidity in Texas. I'm relying on a gang of central air piped directly up my ass.
You will need it. Mos def you will need it. You might want to get ear muffs made out of ice too.
"Once upon a time, dinosaurs didn't have families. They lived in the woods and ate their children. It was a golden age."

—Earl Sinclair

- Antonio Brown
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

Ana Ng wrote:
smackaholic wrote:You mean to tell me you haven't fallen in love with NH/Maine yet?

Weather pussy.
I was hoping for more snow, actually. Kinda disappointing.

Not a fan of the humidity here, though.

Oh, and if people driving like utter shiitake isn't bad enough, the condition of the roads here are fuxxing horrendous.
If you ignore that little halloween blizzard nonsense we had, last winter was extremely mild. You should have shown up for the prior winter. It would have cured you of wanting snow, trust me.

As for "not a fan of humidity" being a reason to leave coastal northern New England for "fill in the blank", TX, well, that's just bradhusker like dumbfukkery. SA may be far enough west that it starts taking on a little desert type lack of humidity, but, it's still close enough to that little humidity factory, the gulf of meheeeeco, to get it's share. I guess you could sasy the humidity is low there, compared to houston. If Houston had anymore humidity, you'd need gills.

People drive like shiitake, or any other type of 'shroom, pretty much anywhere in the US. If you want a place where people can drive, go to Germany, where they actually demand it of their drivers as opposed to the US where you can pretty much do as you please, so long as you are near the speed limit and seatbelted.
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

Goober McTuber wrote:I’ve heard that Austin, TX is somewhat similar to Madison, WI, so that’s definitely a huge plus.
The women in Austin are 10x as hot while the women in Madison are 10x as fat. That's where the similarities end, tardling.

There is college hockey in Madison, though. Even if it is third-tier.
kcdave wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 8:05 am
I was actually going to to join in the best bets activity here at good ole T1B...The guy that runs that contest is a fucking prick
Derron wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 3:07 pm
You are truly one of the worst pieces of shit to ever post on this board. Start giving up your paycheck for reparations now and then you can shut the fuck up about your racist blasts.
Goober McTuber

Post by Goober McTuber »

Screw_Michigan wrote:
Goober McTuber wrote:I’ve heard that Austin, TX is somewhat similar to Madison, WI, so that’s definitely a huge plus.
The women in Austin are 10x as hot while the women in Madison are 10x as fat. That's where the similarities end, tardling.

There is college hockey in Madison, though. Even if it is third-tier.
You have obviously never been to Madison. We should probably have a holiday to celebrate that fact.
schmick, speaking about Larry Nassar's pubescent and prepubescent victims wrote: They couldn't even kick that doctors ass

MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Post by MgoBlue-LightSpecial »

Goober McTuber wrote:I’ve heard that Austin, TX is somewhat similar to Madison, WI
Let's see. One is a cultural destination spot with a nationally renowned music scene, warm weather, hot chicks and a college town. The other is a college town.
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

Goober McTuber wrote:You have obviously never been to Madison. We should probably have a holiday to celebrate that fact.
There are hot chicks in Madison, I give you that, just like all college towns worth a shit. But these chicks don't stick around after college, numbnuts.
kcdave wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 8:05 am
I was actually going to to join in the best bets activity here at good ole T1B...The guy that runs that contest is a fucking prick
Derron wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 3:07 pm
You are truly one of the worst pieces of shit to ever post on this board. Start giving up your paycheck for reparations now and then you can shut the fuck up about your racist blasts.
BSmack

Post by BSmack »

Ana Ng wrote:Texas is supposed to be military friendly, I hear?
The whole country is pretty "military friendly" these days. You will find just as many military enclaves in AZ or CA. Don't let NoCal fool you. Down where Mikey lives, they have all sorts of bases and the population leans to the right of Mussolini.

—Earl Sinclair

- Antonio Brown
Van
2012 CFB Bowl Pick Champ

Post by Van »

During the housing boom of '05 I tried to convince my wife that we should sell our place and go pay cash for another house somewhere else and have, you know, a fully-paid-for house and stuff. So, one week I spent a a helluva lot of time scouring real estate ads using this hand-dandy internet search thingie which asked me to input all sorts of specific data that was supposed to be important to me: housing type, price, weather preferences, neighborhood, etc.

When it began shitting out its results, everything was coming up Boise, Idaho and...Austin. Little bit of San Antonio, as well. Digging a little deeper, I quickly ruled out San Antonio. Because of the chance of snow and cold weather, Susan ruled out Boise. That left us with Austin as our search engine's main suggestion, and there were just loads of nice-looking houses in decent areas for $150K.

The only real downside? The supposed heat and, especially, the humidity. Coming from Sacramento, we knew the heat would be no biggie. It does't get as hot in Austin as it does in Sacramento. The humidity? I've never experienced it. She grew up in Savannah, Georgia and in Bermuda, and she told me I would fucking hate that sort of humidity; the kind where you take a shower and you're already sweating again by the time you're finished getting dressed.

I still wish we'd made the move, though. Bet I would've loved Austin.
Joe Satriani is a mime, right? - 88

Show me your dicks. - trev
Derron
Eternal Scobode

Post by Derron »

Ana Ng wrote: I'm relying on a gang of central air piped directly up my ass.
Guess that means you won't be getting it up the ass anytime soon. Pity.
Derron
Screw_Michigan wrote: Democrats are the REAL racists.
Softball Bat wrote: Is your anus quivering?
Goober McTuber

Post by Goober McTuber »

Screw_Michigan wrote:
Goober McTuber wrote:You have obviously never been to Madison. We should probably have a holiday to celebrate that fact.
There are hot chicks in Madison, I give you that, just like all college towns worth a shit. But these chicks don't stick around after college, numbnuts.
Continue showcasing your stupidity, shitdick.

campinfool
2009 PET Champion

Post by campinfool »

While Texas, as a whole, has a low cost of living, Austin is definitely the priciest in terms of real estate prices, rents, and property taxes. As for humidity, it can change in Austin. Sometimes it feels like Houston or Corpus Christi, but right now it is oppressive dry heat. Not much difference between 108 and dry and 95 with 80% humidity. Austin tries to over play the whole "weird" vibe and it does get old, but most of us boring normal folk reside in the suburbs of Williamson County any way.
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

Van wrote:During the housing boom of '05 I tried to convince my wife that we should sell our place and go pay cash for another house somewhere else and have, you know, a fully-paid-for house and stuff. So, one week I spent a a helluva lot of time scouring real estate ads using this hand-dandy internet search thingie which asked me to input all sorts of specific data that was supposed to be important to me: housing type, price, weather preferences, neighborhood, etc.

When it began shitting out its results, everything was coming up Boise, Idaho and...Austin. Little bit of San Antonio, as well. Digging a little deeper, I quickly ruled out San Antonio. Because of the chance of snow and cold weather, Susan ruled out Boise. That left us with Austin as our search engine's main suggestion, and there were just loads of nice-looking houses in decent areas for $150K.

The only real downside? The supposed heat and, especially, the humidity. Coming from Sacramento, we knew the heat would be no biggie. It does't get as hot in Austin as it does in Sacramento. The humidity? I've never experienced it. She grew up in Savannah, Georgia and in Bermuda, and she told me I would fucking hate that sort of humidity; the kind where you take a shower and you're already sweating again by the time you're finished getting dressed.

I still wish we'd made the move, though. Bet I would've loved Austin.
Yup, if you were thinking of dropping your horrifically overvalued home on some sap in '05 and didn't, you missed out, bigtime. Our company has a site in El Dorado Hills and we had a few dudes from there out here doing some training. One of them, a douchebag, btw, was going on about how his "ranch" (small 3 bdrm ranch on 5 acres) was worth a little over a mil. He had an offer to transfer here and it was a promotion. I told him if he didn't jump on the opportunity to turn that fake money into real $$$$ and move out here, he was a dumbfukk.

Well, in addition to being a douche, he was, in fact, a dumbfukk. Stayed put on his "Ranch" and from what I understand, got divorced and lost the Ranch in foreclosure a coupla years ago.

I heard somewhere that during the bubble, the Sacramento area had the most overvalued property in the country. When the bubble burst, sactown was ground zero. What could you have sold for, Van? What is it worth today?
Shlomart Ben Yisrael
Insha'Allah

Post by Shlomart Ben Yisrael »

Ana, don't rule out Canada.

You can't spell "Canada" without "ana" and...uhhh...uhhh..."dac".
rock rock to the planet rock ... don't stop
Felix wrote:you've become very bitter since you became jewish......
Kierland drop-kicking Wolftard wrote: Aren’t you part of the silent generation?
Why don’t you just STFU.
BSmack

Post by BSmack »

smackaholic wrote:Well, in addition to being a douche, he was, in fact, a dumbfukk. Stayed put on his "Ranch" and from what I understand, got divorced and lost the Ranch in foreclosure a coupla years ago.
Was his name Bushice?

—Earl Sinclair

- Antonio Brown
Goober McTuber

Post by Goober McTuber »

BSmack wrote:
smackaholic wrote:Well, in addition to being a douche, he was, in fact, a dumbfukk. Stayed put on his "Ranch" and from what I understand, got divorced and lost the Ranch in foreclosure a coupla years ago.
Was his name Bushice?
I would seriously question whether that dude is still among the living.

Van
2012 CFB Bowl Pick Champ

Post by Van »

smackie...$370K in '05 vs $160K now. In '05 we would've netted something like $160K, which is why I was looking at $150K houses elsewhere. She didn't want to do it. We stayed put and got killed. Simple as that.

smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

Van wrote:smackie...$370K in '05 vs $160K now. In '05 we would've netted something like $160K, which is why I was looking at $150K houses elsewhere. She didn't want to do it. We stayed put and got killed. Simple as that.
Ouch. Sucks lissing away 200K, don't it?

If I am ever in a place where I own property as overvalued as that was, I would seriously think about bailing. Even if you like the area, ain't nothing wrong with renting for awhile.
Van
2012 CFB Bowl Pick Champ

Post by Van »

I wanted to do it. I welcomed the idea of moving to another state and trying a new life in a paid-for house. She didn't feel up to a move.

C'est la vie.

Goober McTuber

Post by Goober McTuber »

smackaholic wrote:
Van wrote:smackie...$370K in '05 vs $160K now. In '05 we would've netted something like $160K, which is why I was looking at $150K houses elsewhere. She didn't want to do it. We stayed put and got killed. Simple as that.

If I am ever in a place where I own property as overvalued as that was, I would seriously think about bailing. Even if you like the area, ain't nothing wrong with renting for awhile.
And just how would you know that it was overvalued?

smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

Goober McTuber wrote:
smackaholic wrote:

And just how would you know that it was overvalued?
No real estate appraisal expert, but, when you are in a pad that has been work X dollars and over a space of a few years it is now worth 2.5X or more, it's a pretty safe bet that things are overvalued. There are places that are extremely expensive, but, not overvalued because for whatever reason they command ridiculous prices over long periods of time. Fortunately, my area didn't see such ridiculous price run ups, so when the bubble popped we weren't hurt as badly. Not too far away, in the Boston area and NYC areas, they got whacked pretty bad, but not as bad as some markets in the west or FLA.
Wolfman
Dumpater Artist

Post by Wolfman »

You are wise to not include SW Florida in your search. Unbearable heat and humidity, horrible bugs, gators, and Gator fans. Crappy beaches with nothing but old wrinkled women. No sports or entertainment. No universities. Crushing property taxes. A state that does not allow dead folks or illegal immigrants to vote. Housing costs through the roof. Hurricanes and tropical storms destroy everything every year. Terrible place to live.
"It''s not dark yet--but it's getting there". -- Bob Dylan

Carbon Dating, the number one dating app for senior citizens.

"Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teaches my hands to the war, and my fingers to fight."
Goober McTuber

Post by Goober McTuber »

Wolfman wrote:You are wise to not include SW Florida in your search. Unbearable heat and humidity, horrible bugs, gators, and Gator fans. Crappy beaches with nothing but old wrinkled women. No sports or entertainment. No universities. Crushing property taxes. A state that does not allow dead folks or illegal immigrants to vote. Housing costs through the roof. Hurricanes and tropical storms destroy everything every year. Terrible place to live.
You forgot to include preponderance of grumpy old fucks.

mvscal
Blank

Post by mvscal »

Ana Ng wrote:We're looking for a place to buy a home and actually STAY after the husband retires in 2015, and I've been told that San Antonio/Austin are deece places to be.
I lived in Austin for eleven years, Houston for five years and have been to San Antone many times. Austin is, by far, the best place to live in Texas. SA isn't a bad town and I'm sure there are nice places to live there, but it doesn't hold a candle to Austin.
Screw_Michigan wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:39 pmUnlike you tards, I actually have functioning tastebuds and a refined pallet.
mvscal
Blank

Post by mvscal »

BSmack wrote: major league teams in all 4 major sports are within a drivable distance
Uh, not really. It's about 90 miles to SA (doable...barely), 170 miles to Houston and 200 miles to Dallas.
Screw_Michigan wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:39 pmUnlike you tards, I actually have functioning tastebuds and a refined pallet.
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

mvscal wrote:
Ana Ng wrote:We're looking for a place to buy a home and actually STAY after the husband retires in 2015, and I've been told that San Antonio/Austin are deece places to be.
I lived in Austin for eleven years, Houston for five years and have been to San Antone many times. Austin is, by far, the best place to live in Texas. SA isn't a bad town and I'm sure there are nice places to live there, but it doesn't hold a candle to Austin.
So, WTF ever possessed you to move to Kalifornia?
mvscal
Blank

Post by mvscal »

I pretty much grew up in California and have family here. I moved to Houston when my Dad worked for Pennzoil. They moved back to California after five years and I moved to Austin instead of going with them. I moved back to socal in 95 or 96.
Ana Ng
Typhoid Mary

Post by Ana Ng »

Thank you for all the useful info. Srsly.

The reason we were taking a closer look at SA was because that's where the Navy Recruiting depot is, I believe? Since the husband isn't sure he'll be wanting to extend for another 3 yrs., or even IF they'll let him change rates to go....I suppose Austin is a viable option.

A fellow Navy Chief on his boat just secured a supervisory position on an oil rig in Houston, and told him to look into it as well. I guess the pay is pretty good, and a 28 on, 28 off work schedule isn't bad....coming from the sub schedules that we're used to.

Do any of you know anything about these oil rigs, or have worked on one before?
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Post by MgoBlue-LightSpecial »

Be patient. Dinsdale will be along shortly.
Shlomart Ben Yisrael
Insha'Allah

Post by Shlomart Ben Yisrael »

Ana Ng wrote:
Do any of you know anything about these oil rigs, or have worked on one before?
It's what guys tell their OL's when they split town to lay it to some strange.

28 days on...yeah, right. :meds:

If he comes home smelling like seafood, it ain't from deep water drilling.
rock rock to the planet rock ... don't stop
Felix wrote:you've become very bitter since you became jewish......
Kierland drop-kicking Wolftard wrote: Aren’t you part of the silent generation?
Why don’t you just STFU.
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

Ana Ng wrote: Do any of you know anything about these oil rigs, or have worked on one before?
I'm sure AP does, just wait.

What I know about San Antonio:

They have Lackland AFB there, where scrubs like me go for basic training and learn how to march, make a bed, and pack a duffel bag.

The river walk is really nice, even 32 years ago.

The Alamo is over rated.

Mexicans. Lots of Mexicans.
Ana Ng
Typhoid Mary

Post by Ana Ng »

Martyred wrote:Ana, don't rule out Canada.

You can't spell "Canada" without "ana" and...uhhh...uhhh..."dac".
I played in a NARCh tournament in Vancouver in '97.

On our 2nd day there, a gang of Asians broke into one of our team's vans and stole a bunch of our gear.

Mean little rice people.