Oh to be back home in Indiana

Oh Billy Billy Billy...

Moderator: Dinsdale

Felix
2012 JAFFL Champ

Oh to be back home in Indiana

Post by Felix »

Headed for Indianapolis for a week on a Saturday, and plan on taking on two monsters back there

The Fort Course (which I've played before)
Purgatory (which Indy tells me is an absolute beast)
would like to slide in a round at Brickyard, but I don't think it's in the cards....fuggin neat course though

should be an asskicking of bibllical proportions....
get out, get out while there's still time
Felix
2012 JAFFL Champ

Re: Oh to be back home in Indiana

Post by Felix »

soooooooo....Indy wasn't kidding...Purgatory is without a doubt one of the most difficult golf courses I've ever played....started off from the black tees, which measure about 7,300 yds ("purgatory" tees are the longest at almost 7,800 yds long), and within three holes had moved up to the blue tees, which still play about 6,800 yards with a course rating of almost 74, and a slope rating of about 130....the ball doesn't fly nearly as far (humidity and all), but the rock hard fairways provided lots of roll....usually into some terrible lie...the course is just toasted from all the heat, but overall in pretty decent shape....just beat the shit out of me, and now I know why it's not all that popular with average quality players.....a 15 handicapper will get eaten alive by that course....by the time the 18 ended, I felt like I'd gone 15 rounds with Mike Tyson....never mind the heat issues....it is not a course I'll ever play again, just too difficult for me to enjoy...when I'm hitting 3 and 4 utilities as second shots into par 4's, it's just not a lot of fun....greens were tough, but very nice condition....

as customary with courses I've never played before, I always play the #1 handicap hole from the very back tees...in this case, it was the 16th a 470 yard behemoth with sand traps running down both sides of the fairway.....I got a 6 and felt fortunate to have double bogeyed the hole.....

couldn't make it to the Fort Course, so instead played Legends Golf Course, which I've played before.....really nice course...only bad thing, booked a tee time for 7:18 on Friday morning, and by 10:00, it was over 90 with a humidity level near 40%...just brutal....played much better, but still didn't score well....just couldn't adjust to the difference in distance with that much humidity in the air....

my advice, if you ever make it to Indy, avoid the Purgatory course, unless you really want the weaknesses of your game exposed...
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

faggot. :)
mvscal wrote:The only precious metals in a SHTF scenario are lead and brass.
Felix
2012 JAFFL Champ

Post by Felix »

smackaholic wrote:faggot. :)
yeah I felt pretty bad moving up to the blue tees (not really, if most people played it they'd be looking for the ladies front tees), until I saw that most of the dudes out playing were going from the white or green tees....weird thing, when we first started playing, the holes were playing about a club longer than they do here....I was continually dropping my Pro-Vs on the ground to make sure they weren't dead....a hard 7 iron required a smooth 5 iron or a hard 6....by the time it heated up, all of a sudden the ball started flying further, and next thing you know I'm airmailing everything....and long on that course is dead.....I barely broke 90 (89) and felt good about it
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

why come the black tees gotta be at the back?

racist muthafukkers.

and yes, i used to work with a brotha who used the phrase "why come" when most english speakers might go with "how come"?
mvscal wrote:The only precious metals in a SHTF scenario are lead and brass.