Baked Fish Genoese Style

"Hey Mikey"

Moderator: Mikey

mvscal
Blank

Baked Fish Genoese Style

Post by mvscal »

All that Copper River salmon talk got me hungry to "ruin" some non-U&L fish that probably wasn't edible anyway. This is a riff off of a recipe in Marcella Hazan's book. I added an onion and some thyme and prepared the potatoes a little different but it is substantially similar in technique and ingredients.

2 lbs firm fleshed fish. (I used cod)*
~1 1/2 - 2 lbs red new potatoes (halved)
1 small onion (diced)
2tbs garlic (minced)
1/2 cup evoo
Italian parsley
fresh thyme
S&P

Preheat oven to 450

Line the bottom of a roaster with the potatoes, onion, half of the garlic, half of the parsley and some sprigs of thyme. Season well with S&P and add 1/4 cup of the evoo and toss well. Roast for about 15 to 20 minutes. You only want them partially cooked at this point. You want to time it so that the potatoes are done when the fish is done. In the meantime reserve the other 1/4 cup evoo and mix in the remaining parsley, garlic and some thyme leaves.

Remove the potatoes from the oven, mix them up a bit and lay the fish on top of them. Season the fish and top it with the reserved evoo-herb mixture.

Pop the fish in the oven and bake until done removing it mid way through cooking to baste with the oil from the pan.

I served it with steamed green beans and a Riesling.

*I think I probably used too much fish in this case. I was hoping to get the potatoes a little bit crispy and that didn't happen. They were cooked just fine and tasted quite delicious as they were, though. It was a surprisingly rich dish considering the only cooking fat used was olive oil. Overall very tasty, very easy and healthy.
Screw_Michigan wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:39 pmUnlike you tards, I actually have functioning tastebuds and a refined pallet.
Mikey
Carbon Neutral since 1955

Re: Baked Fish Genoese Style

Post by Mikey »

That sounds like a winner. I could imagine doing it with some sea bass or halibut as well.

I ruined some fresh local yellowtail last weekend on the grill. It was horrible but I somehow choked it down.
Carson
2012 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by Carson »

Would that be ill-tempered sea bass with frikken' laser beams on their heads?

Cod is pretty versatile. Looks good.
Mikey
Carbon Neutral since 1955

Post by Mikey »

Carson wrote:Would that be ill-tempered sea bass with frikken' laser beams on their heads?
Yeah, they're not perfect but might be a good start.