Ruth Chris Steakhouse

It's the 17th Anniversary for T1B - Fuckin' A

Moderator: Jesus H Christ

trev
New Sheriff in Town

Ruth Chris Steakhouse

Post by trev »

I've never been there and am thinking of taking my parents there for their 50th anniversary. The Ruth Chris in Nashville. Any of you that have been there, I would appreciate your reviews! Or, if you have been to Nashville and can think of another place to take them, feel free to chime in. There will be about 8 of us, so how much can I expect the $$$ to be?? I know it will be expensive and I have planned for that.
Diego in Seattle
Rouser Of Rabble

Re: Ruth Chris Steakhouse

Post by Diego in Seattle »

Roughly guessing the total tab sans booze would be about $6-700. Throw in another couple hundred for the bar tab......$300 if anyone besides you drinks.
“Left Seater” wrote:So charges are around the corner?
9/27/22
mvscal
Blank

Post by mvscal »

There is nothing even remotely unique or unusual about Ruth's Chris. You could do a backyard grill more cheaply with better steak, better wine and have a better time doing it.

A dinner like you're talking about should be out of the ordinary and beyond your skill set.
Screw_Michigan wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:39 pmUnlike you tards, I actually have functioning tastebuds and a refined pallet.
trev
New Sheriff in Town

Post by trev »

I know. I want it special. Really special. I appreciate the input. I have until July to figure this out.
Carson
2012 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by Carson »

Ruth Chris' whole schtick is cooking steaks at 700 degrees.

Big deal. Not worth the money.

Hell, Outback is better to me.
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Post by MgoBlue-LightSpecial »

trev wrote:I want it special. Really special.
Is that right?
Y2K
Internet Overlord

Post by Y2K »

At least $75.00 per person...It's OK nothing to brag about. Not worth the money if you ask me.
Mikey
Carbon Neutral since 1955

Post by Mikey »

Better off going to Applebee's.
Van
2012 CFB Bowl Pick Champ

Post by Van »

trev, you had to know these guys were going to pile on with their badass uppercrust selves. As if there was ever any doubt.

Yes, Ruth's Chris is overpriced. That cannot be denied. Putting that aside—and what restaurant isn't overpriced?—RC is still an excellent choice for this occasion. If you plan on enjoying drinks, appetizers, sides and dessert you're definitely looking at $100+ per person, but for someone who's never been to such a place it's a fun evening and well worth it.

Anyway, a little backstory...

Ever since my radiation treatments I've been unable to taste much of anything. Steak happens to be one thing I can taste at probably 60-70% of 'normal.' As a result, I've been eating way more steak than I ever used to, which has led me to try every damn steak place I can find.

Ruth's Chris has the best steak I've found so far, with only one other place coming close. Certainly places such as Outback and the like do not compare. The point of RC's for steak lovers is a contentions one: their copious use of butter on otherwise excellent cuts of meat. Steak aficionados often decry this practice, saying it's sacriligious and defeats the whole point of having a fine steak. Proponents of RC simply respond with, "Who cares? It tastes goooooood."

Yes, they serve the thing at something like 500 degrees on a plate that's too hot to touch. Some people love this practice, agreeing with RC that it keeps the steak warm from the first bite to last. The steak snobs say it can turn their medium rare cut to medium by the time they're two-thirds of the way through their meal.

Having been apprised of that concern going in, I checked for myself. It's bullshit. Your steak will not noticeably change over the course of your dinner. It will stay warmer, though, which is good.

I cannot tell you about their drinks, since I don't drink. I haven't tried their desserts, because my appetite wasn't up to such things. Their Caesar salad was very good, but nothing exceptional. Their sides are exceptional. I've tried five, and all were well above your standard restaurant fare.

The other thing that everyone is failing to mention is RC's service, which is so excellent as to nearly be unique. Part of the high price for dining at RC has to do with their service, which is outstanding. Barely will your water glass become half empty before the waitstaff is there to refill it. Have even the slightest complaint about any of your dishes? They will graciously replace the item, no questions asked. They're very knowledgeable, and treat you very well.

For your parent's 50th anniversary, it's money well spent.
Last edited by Van on Sat May 19, 2012 2:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Joe Satriani is a mime, right? - 88

Show me your dicks. - trev
Wolfman
Dumpater Artist

Post by Wolfman »

Took MrsO on Mother;s Day to the store near me in Bonita Springs. Been there a few times before for special dinners like Valentine's Day. They usually have specials which include salad/soup, entree, and dessert for anywhere from $35 to $45 per person. Drinks beside water of course will add to the bill. The food is good, steaks melt in your mouth, and the service is very good. Open up your wallet and treat the folks.
"It''s not dark yet--but it's getting there". -- Bob Dylan

Carbon Dating, the number one dating app for senior citizens.

"Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teaches my hands to the war, and my fingers to fight."
Shlomart Ben Yisrael
Insha'Allah

Post by Shlomart Ben Yisrael »

There's a Ruth's Chris here in Toronto...

Take your parents somewhere special...like...Canada.
rock rock to the planet rock ... don't stop
Felix wrote:you've become very bitter since you became jewish......
Kierland drop-kicking Wolftard wrote: Aren’t you part of the silent generation?
Why don’t you just STFU.
trev
New Sheriff in Town

Post by trev »

I'm not new to the internet. Or Yelp. Or Tripadvisor. I just want and enjoy your superb opinions here.
Wolfman
Dumpater Artist

Post by Wolfman »

On special times like Mother's Day and Valentine's Day this store opens at 2 PM. It's so we don't have to deal with assholes like you later in the day.

"Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teaches my hands to the war, and my fingers to fight."
Van
2012 CFB Bowl Pick Champ

Post by Van »

KC, do you have any point whatsoever to make, or did Zy already steal your RC onanistic thunder?

mvscal
Blank

Post by mvscal »

trev wrote:I'm not new to the internet. Or Yelp. Or Tripadvisor. I just want and enjoy your superb opinions here.
You would probably be better off finding a Japanese teppanyaki place. At least there would be some sort of showmanship and fun involved in serving you average food.
Screw_Michigan wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:39 pmUnlike you tards, I actually have functioning tastebuds and a refined pallet.
Mikey
Carbon Neutral since 1955

Post by Mikey »

Ruth's Chis caters to businessmen on travel with big expense accounts and people who want to impress by dropping big $$. It's a chain. If you want a good steak you probably can't go wrong, but like mvscal said you can fix a good steak at home.

Find out where the locals go if they want to do a special, memorable meal. I don't know anything about Nashville but for my in-laws' 50th we took them and the extended family to the Hotel del Coronado. I'm sure that there are comparable places in Nashville with some history and with a great local reputation.

Here are some examples of places I might go in SoCal for a special meal. There are plenty of others you can pick that aren't chains or steakhouses. These are just places that I know. There have to be plenty in Nashville, you just have to find them.

Downtown San Diego
http://www.buonappetito.signonsandiego.com/
http://www.cohnrestaurants.com/menu-res ... igo-grill/

Oceanside
http://www.cohnrestaurants.com/menu-res ... 3-pacific/

Escondido (this place is amazing...)
http://vincentsongrand.com/

Within 15 minutes from home (Bonsall) or Carlsbad
http://frescorestaurants.com/

Los Angeles
http://www.watergrill.com/

Santa Monica
http://www.oceanave.com/

San Francisco
http://etuttoqua.com/
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

Wolfman wrote:this store
They're restaurants, not stores, you mongoloid.
kcdave wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 8:05 am
I was actually going to to join in the best bets activity here at good ole T1B...The guy that runs that contest is a fucking prick
Derron wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 3:07 pm
You are truly one of the worst pieces of shit to ever post on this board. Start giving up your paycheck for reparations now and then you can shut the fuck up about your racist blasts.
mvscal
Blank

Post by mvscal »

Screw_Michigan wrote:
Wolfman wrote:this store
They're restaurants, not stores, you mongoloid.
Chain restaurants are refered to as stores, you jizzmopping cretin.
bradhusker
Certified Cockologist

Post by bradhusker »

trev wrote:I've never been there and am thinking of taking my parents there for their 50th anniversary. The Ruth Chris in Nashville. Any of you that have been there, I would appreciate your reviews! Or, if you have been to Nashville and can think of another place to take them, feel free to chime in. There will be about 8 of us, so how much can I expect the $$$ to be?? I know it will be expensive and I have planned for that.
First of all, its Ruth's not Ruth. The fuckin name is plural. GET it RIGHT, or dont go there.

That being said, its prime beef, meaning the marbling is throughout, providing you with a more flavorful and tender cut of beef.

I also reccomend Flemings and Del Friscos. Nashville is a great town, and a great music town as well.

USDA Prime is the way to go, the more marble, the better the flavor. Its all about PRIME steaks.

And remember, its promounced RUTH'S not RUTH. get it right.
I'll pull you out of that one bunk hilton and cast you down with the sodomites. The warden, shawshank redemption.
Van
2012 CFB Bowl Pick Champ

Post by Van »

bradhusker wrote:The fuckin name is plural. GET it RIGHT, or dont go there.
No, it's not, you moron. It's possessive, not plural. If it were plural, it would mean it's owned by multiple women named Ruth. The apostrophe would follow the 's,' resulting in a real clusterfuck of a name. Ruth Udstad is the woman who purchased the original Chris Steak House in New Orleans. She kept the "Chris" part of the name, making it Ruth's Chris Steak House.

Singular possessive, not plural. Next time, follow your own advice.

bradhusker
Certified Cockologist

Post by bradhusker »

Van wrote:
bradhusker wrote:The fuckin name is plural. GET it RIGHT, or dont go there.
No, it's not, you moron. It's possessive, not plural. If it were plural, it would mean it's owned by multiple women named Ruth. The apostrophe would follow the 's,' resulting in a real clusterfuck of a name. Ruth Udstad is the woman who purchased the original Chris Steak House in New Orleans. She kept the "Chris" part of the name, making it Ruth's Chris Steak House.

Singular possessive, not plural. Next time, follow your own advice.
Thanks for correcting me Van, im so embarrassed. Ruth's meaning its hers. Hence, Ruth's, its her place.
I'll pull you out of that one bunk hilton and cast you down with the sodomites. The warden, shawshank redemption.
bradhusker
Certified Cockologist

Post by bradhusker »

Toddowen wrote:
mvscal wrote:
trev wrote:I'm not new to the internet. Or Yelp. Or Tripadvisor. I just want and enjoy your superb opinions here.
You would probably be better off finding a Japanese teppanyaki place. At least there would be some sort of showmanship and fun involved in serving you average food.

Wrong.

My brother and his wife lugged me along to Benihana in Torrance a few years ago. Way too many darkies. We were seated at a table with a family straight out of East Ghana. They ordered rice and a shrimp for each person, and then sat for the next hour and watched as we downed soft shell crab, lobster, steak, a boatload of shrimp, buckets of fried rice, dessert, drinks, etc...

Them just sitting there watching us ruined an otherwise extravagent dining experience.
It would have ruined my dining experience as well. Why didnt they just go to Dennys or McDonalds?
I hope they didnt "stiff" the waiter. If they did, its within your legal right to ask them to pony up more money for a tip. If they still refuse? You are within your legal right to force them to leave a tip.

I did this once. I was with a party of businessmen, and I noticed a pretty waitress sobbing. She said that her last table had not only stiffed her, BUT, they actually left the bill short by a few bucks.
My blood BOILED, so I asked her to point out the table which did this to her. I walked over and acted like the OLD MAN from "Reservoir Dogs". With a scary voice full of angry gravel, I asked them if they tipped their waitress. This thug who looked like Trayvon Martin got in my face. I quickly picked him up and held him upsidedown, rattled him until all his change and crumpled up dollars fell to the ground.
YOU TIP YOUR WAITRESS you fuckin MOOLIE!! OR, YOU GO TO McDonalds, those are your two choices. YA GOT IT?
Wolfman
Dumpater Artist

Post by Wolfman »

Speaking of Ruth's Chris, anyone remember Jim's Mario's ?
At least Screw_Michigan may have learned something here. You really should get out more.

Mr T
Riverboat Gambler

Post by Mr T »

RC is expensive but if you are just going for the ambiance then it should be fine and the steaks are decent.

While you are in nashville, stop in at Porter road butcher fri-sun for some fresh local beef, pork or chicken. The concourse at Vandy hospital also has a good farmers market on thursday with meats, cheeses, bread, ect.
TheJON wrote:What does the winner get? Because if it's a handjob from Frisco, I'd like to campaign for my victory.
Smackie Chan
Eternal Scobode

Post by Smackie Chan »

bradhusker wrote:I quickly picked him up and held him upsidedown, rattled him until all his change and crumpled up dollars fell to the ground.
YOU TIP YOUR WAITRESS you fuckin MOOLIE!! OR, YOU GO TO McDonalds, those are your two choices. YA GOT IT?
While this is, of course, bullshit, it still made me laugh a little.
"I see everything twice!"
Felix
2012 JAFFL Champ

Post by Felix »

I've eaten a couple of times at Ruth's Chris, and it was good, not great...
Mikey wrote:Find out where the locals go if they want to do a special, memorable meal. I don't know anything about Nashville but for my in-laws' 50th we took them and the extended family to the Hotel del Coronado.
in bigger cities there's almost always a better local place than places like RC....looking at the Yelp page, local reviews favor Kayne Prime, while on Trip Advisor Capitol Grille gets a lot of love from nashville residents...seems like you probably couldn't go wrong with either of those choices....
get out, get out while there's still time
BSmack
2005 and 2010 JFFL Champion

Post by BSmack »

Felix wrote:Kayne Prime
This place got 69 stars from Stanley Pickle.
"Once upon a time, dinosaurs didn't have families. They lived in the woods and ate their children. It was a golden age."

—Earl Sinclair

"I do have respect for authority even though I throw jelly dicks at them.

- Antonio Brown
mvscal
Blank

Post by mvscal »

Toddowen wrote:My brother and his wife lugged me along to Benihana in Torrance a few years ago. Way too many darkies. We were seated at a table with a family straight out of East Ghana. They ordered rice and a shrimp for each person, and then sat for the next hour and watched as we downed soft shell crab, lobster, steak, a boatload of shrimp, buckets of fried rice, dessert, drinks, etc...

Them just sitting there watching us ruined an otherwise extravagent dining experience.
That's why you go with a large party. That way you aren't sharing a griddle with impoverished noggles.
Van
2012 CFB Bowl Pick Champ

Post by Van »

mvscal wrote:impoverished noggles.
Jesus...

:lol:

Seriously, dude, not even Dante imagined a ring that was suitable for you. :waz:

Rich Fader
Eternal Scobode

Post by Rich Fader »

Noggles? Great local fast-food Mexican chain back when I was a kid. Started right in downtown Rivertucky. Avery Schreiber and Roger Carmel (aka Harry Mudd from Star Trek) both played their commercial mascot. Don't bother looking for one, they sold out to Del Taco in the late Eighties.
Jihad is hump of Islam...and Islam wants to hump us very much.
Van
2012 CFB Bowl Pick Champ

Post by Van »

It was spelled 'Naugles,' and yep, when I was a kid I loved their truly scary-bad nachos. That place and Tommy's Burgers were the go-to choices for late-night gastronomic awfulness.

(Edit: Doh! AP beat me to it.)
Last edited by Van on Sun May 20, 2012 12:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Atomic Punk
antagonist

Post by Atomic Punk »

Van wrote:It was spelled 'Naugles,' and yep, when I was a kid I loved their truly scary-bad nachos. That place and Tommie's Burgers were the go-to choices for late-night gastronomic awfulness.
Live by spelling/grammar smack, die by it.

http://www.originaltommys.com/

There is, however a fake version in shitty areas of California that go by the name Tommie's. :wink:
BSmack wrote:Best. AP take. Ever.

Seriously. I don't disagree with a word of it.
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

There was a Naugles in lovely (not really) North Chicago, right outside the Great Lakes Naval Training Center. Used to go there all the time while I was in school there. They had a horse cock sized burrito that was pretty awesome.

Not really sure how a socal messican fast food chain ends up in the midwest. I suppose it had to do with the Navy base and the fact there were lots of people there who had been stationed in SD and were familiar with the place.
mvscal wrote:The only precious metals in a SHTF scenario are lead and brass.
mvscal
Blank

Post by mvscal »

Toddowen wrote:And what is it about jigsters failure to call ahead and reserve a table? I've been to that same Benihana twice. And each time we have to step through a crowd of the darkest Zulu's as the hostess calls our party forward at opening time.
Sounds more like a problem with the location.
mvscal
Blank

Post by mvscal »

Toddowen wrote:...wanting to see if we offered them any food out of pity.
Hopefully you didn't. It only encourages them.
Smackie Chan
Eternal Scobode

Post by Smackie Chan »

mvscal wrote:
Toddowen wrote:...wanting to see if we offered them any food out of pity.
Hopefully you didn't. It only encourages them.
:lol: :mrgreen:
bradhusker
Certified Cockologist

Post by bradhusker »

smackaholic wrote:There was a Naugles in lovely (not really) North Chicago, right outside the Great Lakes Naval Training Center. Used to go there all the time while I was in school there. They had a horse cock sized burrito that was pretty awesome.

Not really sure how a socal messican fast food chain ends up in the midwest. I suppose it had to do with the Navy base and the fact there were lots of people there who had been stationed in SD and were familiar with the place.
horse-cock sized? that could feed an entire family. are you sure? maybe they just seemed that large to you as a youngster, BUT, now as a grown ass man, they'd be the size of a thimble.
childhood trauma.
Smackie Chan
Eternal Scobode

Post by Smackie Chan »

bradhusker wrote:
smackaholic wrote:They had a horse cock sized burrito that was pretty awesome.
horse-cock sized? that could feed an entire family. are you sure?
Stay down, 'holic. No sense in fighting this battle. You're dealing with a subject matter expert.
bradhusker
Certified Cockologist

Post by bradhusker »

Jsc810 wrote::lol:
Dont laugh Jsc, I hear that your no stranger to the cock either. Shit, as I type this, your enjoying a fine boars head cockmeat sandwich on pumpernickel. The mere fact that you can get ur mouth around it is cause for celebration.
Van
2012 CFB Bowl Pick Champ

Post by Van »

bradhusker wrote:Dont laugh Jsc, I hear that your no stranger to the cock either.
8)