Why Chat/Radio?

It's the 19th Anniversary for T1B - Fuckin' A

Moderator: Jesus H Christ

Smackie Chan
Eternal Scobode

Why Chat/Radio?

Post by Smackie Chan »

I’ve been hosting shows in chat/radio here for a couple years now, pretty much relying on regular listeners and word-of-mouth as the sources to build an audience base. I’m really not one to toot my own horn, so I don’t “advertise” on the board as a means of recruiting listeners. I’ll play on Friday nights whether I have one listener or 30, although I’ve never even approached having a full house. I’d be lying if I said I’m just as satisfied with small audiences as I am with larger ones – the more, the merrier. I’d like to think I provide a quality service at a fair price – what could be more fair than…nothing? But I leave it up to the listeners to determine the level of quality, and from the feedback I’ve received, I’d say the satisfaction level is pretty high.

Will every listener like every song I play? Of course not. Some tunes I play suck balls (hopefully not too many), and some shows are not as good as others. Some folks may determine that every song and every show is crap. So be it. Can’t make everyone happy all the time. But it’s fun to try to strike that delicate balance of keeping an audience of listeners with diverse musical tastes pleased over the course of a show several hours long, week in and week out. Maybe I’d be better off getting a life, but for me, doing this is as much fun as most of the other options I have, and I’m not overdoing it by taking to the interweb’s airwaves once a week.

I’ve been posting on smack boards since around ’98 or so, have met a fair amount of posters, and therefore realize that even though this isn’t real life or anything vaguely resembling it, relationships among the participants are nonetheless established. Given the nature of the forums, those relationships would typically be considered, at least to most outsiders, as being far more dysfunctional than nurturing. This is as it should be, and few (‘sup, Dan Vogel?) would argue otherwise. We come here to smack and be smacked, to inform and be informed, to argue, and to entertain and be entertained. Otherwise, there’d be no reason to drop into this sordid clambake.

What I find interesting, though, is how long-established “adversarial” relationships among posters on the board change when those same posters interact with each other in the chat room. We tend to let down our guards, drop the board personas, and almost become real people. Sure, we still run smack, but it’s somehow different. We talk about many of the same things (sports, music, wx, etc.), but glaringly (and thankfully) absent from most of the discussions are politics and religion. It’s a lighter, more relaxed, atmosphere. And there’s music.

Online chat rooms have been around for a while, and I’ve never been a fan. I participated in a few before doing this radio dealio, and never found them to be my cup of tea. If it weren’t for the music feature, I wouldn’t use the one here at all, and it seems I’m not alone in that sentiment, since it appears to get little or no use unless someone is spinnin’ tunes. But when there’s good music being played, something (dare I say) almost magical happens. It becomes…FUN!

I believe BSmack, Mgo, Screwy, Papa Willie, Marty, Coogs, Katy, R_t_S, and anyone else who has hosted shows will share the sentiment that those who tune into the shows regularly are greatly appreciated. On Friday nights, I can almost always count on Van, War Wagon, Wolfman, Diego, smackaholic, poptart, and a few others to drop in and stay for awhile. Truman, Carson, 88, trev, KC Scott, Mgo, shutyomouth, Screwy, Ken, ppanther, M2, R-Jack, Coogs, Indy, Y2K, Mikey, Toddowen, R_t_S, Sudden Sam, Jsc, Marty, Political Operative, and occasionally even Biggie and Bace, among others, will make cameo appearances. Special thanks goes out to IF for providing the server and paying for the subscription.

I don’t fault anyone who chooses not to join us – your reasons for doing something else on a Friday night are many and completely valid. I sometimes wonder why anyone would want to waste their time in there. Dins has said that if he wants to listen to music, he can play whatever he wants to listen to whenever he wants to, and doesn’t have to rely on some schmuck to play crap he doesn’t want to hear. This is, of course, true for all of us. Some posters may consider it to be beneath them to enter a chat room. Others are just too cool for school and wouldn’t wanna be caught dead with the losers in chat. I don’t have a problem with any of that. I pretty much feel or have felt the same way.

But I’d at least ask that you take it for a test drive one of these evenings. Like tonight, for example. It may live down to all your expectations and completely suck out loud. But at least you couldn’t be accused of knocking it w/o trying it. And maybe – just maybe – you might actually enjoy it, if even just a little. It’s not like we’re not talking about you anyway, but now you’ll know what we’re saying about you, and it won’t be behind your back.

I’d like to think I have a fairly wide variety of music I can play. My library isn’t huge – it’s something > 18K songs and growing, but it includes jazz, swing, country, disco, oldies, one-hit wonders, soul, R&B, funk, rap, alternative, punk, ska, reggae, novelty, comedy, and large doses of rock and blues. Most of those who tune in regularly will attest that I try to stay away from songs that get regular airplay on FM radio. I like to play songs with which most people are unfamiliar, or seldom-heard versions of tunes with which they may be familiar, such as live versions or covers. I’ll get into themed sets, play requests, and occasionally open the mic and talk a little. I try to make every show different, and provide a few surprises. My goal is to provide quality entertainment, and sometimes I might even succeed in doing so.

So c’mon, Dins, mvscal, husker, AP, Smackmaster, Goobs, missjo, TVO, and the rest of you who haven’t given it a chance. Pour yourself a refreshing beverage, smoke ‘em if you got ‘em, listen in, chat a little, and tell me to die in a fire if that’ll make you feel better. You may come away regretting that you’ll never get those precious moments back, but there’s always a chance that you might actually have a little fun.

Friday nights in TuneTown – at least it’s not…
"They say that I have no hits and that I’m difficult to work with. And they say that like it’s a bad thing!”

Tom Waits
poptart
Quitty McQuitface

Re: Why Chat/Radio?

Post by poptart »

Great post, Smackie.

RACK it - and RACK you for the good show you do.

My only regret is that I am normally not able to hang around as long as I'd like to.

You're right that the feel is a little different than the general feel of the board.

Just a somewhat more friendly atmosphere - but surely not too Vogeled-down.

Even still, I usually tend to fuck a few folks up pretty badly. :grin: :wink:

If you haven't gone IN to chat, yeah, give it a shot.

I could point out a few specific posters I'd like to see in there, but... I know someone would end up butt-hurt that I left 'em off my precious list.

On the radio...

- Donna Summer RIP
Smackie Chan
Eternal Scobode

Post by Smackie Chan »

Thanks, Sam & 'tart.
poptart wrote:I usually tend to fuck a few folks up pretty badly.
Yeah, you still maintain your rep for getting folks runn3d.
I wrote:I believe BSmack, Mgo, Screwy, Papa Willie, Marty, Coogs, Katy, R_t_S, and anyone else who has hosted shows will share the sentiment that those who tune into the shows regularly are greatly appreciated.
Shoulda included wolfie, since he was the one who convinced me to upgrade my gear, thus enabling me to provide higher quality service.
"They say that I have no hits and that I’m difficult to work with. And they say that like it’s a bad thing!”

Tom Waits
trev
New Sheriff in Town

Post by trev »

Don't be askert. It's fun. And Smackie's tunes are so enjoyable.
Wolfman
Dumpater Artist

Post by Wolfman »

Rack that. I try to listen in for a couple hours when I'm home. For the most part others who join in leave their guns outside the door and chat about the music, the artists, and any sports going on at the time.
Smackie has a way of finding obscure tunes and versions of tunes like no one else. He came up with several versions of "Ca plane pour moi" that I never heard. He sent me a couple of Fr.Guido Sarducci clips I wanted. I'm still waiting for Laurie Anderson's "Oh Superman" which I was surprised to hear in the background of a TV ad down here.
With my Kenmore stocked up with cold Beast Light, count me in on Friday nights
"It''s not dark yet--but it's getting there". -- Bob Dylan

Carbon Dating, the number one dating app for senior citizens.

"Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teaches my hands to the war, and my fingers to fight."
Smackie Chan
Eternal Scobode

Post by Smackie Chan »

Wolfman wrote:I'm still waiting for Laurie Anderson's "Oh Superman"
Did you ask me for that? I'll look when I get home.

Tom Waits
lovebuzz
Still thinking about a new title

Post by lovebuzz »

Smackie wrote:Others are just too cool for school and wouldn’t wanna be caught dead with the losers in chat. I don’t have a problem with any of that. I pretty much feel or have felt the same way.
See you tonight :mrgreen:
Smackie Chan
Eternal Scobode

Post by Smackie Chan »

!zzubevol wrote:See you tonight :mrgreen:
How could I have neglected to mention you in my post?!? Was GREAT having you in last week, and glad you'll be joining us again!

Tom Waits
Derron
Eternal Scobode

Post by Derron »

Smackie Chan wrote: We come here to smack and be smacked, to inform and be informed, to argue, and to entertain and be entertained. Otherwise, there’d be no reason to drop into this sordid clambake.

What I find interesting, though, is how long-established “adversarial” relationships among posters on the board change when those same posters interact with each other in the chat room. We tend to let down our guards, drop the board personas, and almost become real people. Sure, we still run smack, but it’s somehow different. We talk about many of the same things (sports, music, wx, etc.), but glaringly (and thankfully) absent from most of the discussions are politics and religion. It’s a lighter, more relaxed, atmosphere. And there’s music.
Pretty much word there...all though most on here are complete assholes, including myself, there probably is not one of you I would not sit down and have a beer with given the chance. BSuck and I go back and forth, but I would break bread with him anytime for the fellowship value.

On one of the old incarnations of these boards, there was a chat room on one of them.Don't know if any of you remember Strider or Rick in SLC, but I logged into chat one time, saw Strider in there and my opening comment was of course " Fuck you Strider". Mace a few seconds after and drops the same bomb on Strider...and a couple of others did too..great laff and what chat boards are all about.

I will try and get in tonight, but by the time I get home from one of my part time gigs, I am going to fire up the GT Mustang and go to a cruise in on Friday nights.
Derron
Screw_Michigan wrote: Democrats are the REAL racists.
Softball Bat wrote: Is your anus quivering?
Smackie Chan
Eternal Scobode

Post by Smackie Chan »

Derron wrote:On one of the old incarnations of these boards, there was a chat room on one of them.Don't know if any of you remember Strider or Rick in SLC, but I logged into chat one time, saw Strider in there and my opening comment was of course " Fuck you Strider". Mace a few seconds after and drops the same bomb on Strider...and a couple of others did too..great laff and what chat boards are all about.
Forgot to mention you & Mace, too. I'm sure I left out others who drop in from time to time. Hope to see you in there this evening.
Papa Willie wrote:Play a Spray tune for me. I'll feel it, bro!
You got it, Slim! Spray tunes are always fan favorites.

Tom Waits
Van
2012 CFB Bowl Pick Champ

Post by Van »

Jsc810 wrote:I'll be in tonight, if I can get it to work via my cell phone. I'm staying a week here in Houston at the Texas Children's Hospital sitting with the 9 month old son of a friend, who has yet to go home. He's a fighter, rack him and all of the doctors and nurses here. I've already seen too many sick children around here, it is heartbreaking.

Rack Smackie and all the radio DJs.
I've said it a thousand times, and I'll say it again...

Jsc is one of the most decent, classy people on this or any other board. Anyone who has a problem with this guy on any level needs to have their soul examined.

And as always, Smackie's post is nails. Yes, I'm sure we who show up for his and B Smack's shows often feel the same thing: What the fuck am I doing here? I don't even like half the songs, and I like less than half of these people half as much as they deserve.

Nonetheless...why not? I think most of us are doing pretty much the same thing, in that we're doing other things while also maintaining the occasional eye on the Chat. My method for dealing with songs I don't like? Duh. I turn the sound down. There's a scroll at the top of the page telling me what song's on, so I'm good to go.

The only truly frustrating thing about Chat is the very thing pop mentioned. That bastard always bails seemingly ten seconds after logging in! :lol:
Last edited by Van on Fri May 18, 2012 5:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Joe Satriani is a mime, right? - 88

Show me your dicks. - trev
Van
2012 CFB Bowl Pick Champ

Post by Van »

Smackie Chan wrote:
!zzubevol wrote:See you tonight :mrgreen:
How could I have neglected to mention you in my post?!? Was GREAT having you in last week, and glad you'll be joining us again!
Absolutely. It's particularly cool to see her there, and M2 too. I was genuinely surprised that M2 started showing up, and it's good to catch a glimpse of the guy behind the troll. He's been a welcome addition.

Mikey
Carbon Neutral since 1955

Post by Mikey »

I haven't been in for quite a while.

What time do the festivities usually get started?

I may have to request some Climax Blues Band as my intro.
Last edited by Mikey on Fri May 18, 2012 5:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Smackie Chan
Eternal Scobode

Post by Smackie Chan »

Mikey wrote:I haven't been in for quite a while.

What time do the festivities usually get started?
Usually around 9:00 Eastern.

Tom Waits
indyfrisco
Pro Bonfire

Post by indyfrisco »

Thanks for the shout-out.

Might join later as long as you play Happy B-Day for me.

+1 on Smackie's show being top notch. Without it, I would probably pull the plug on the damn thing.
Goober McTuber wrote:One last post...
Smackie Chan
Eternal Scobode

Post by Smackie Chan »

Toddowen wrote:I doubt I'll be in tonight.
Too bad, cuz I have a special set lined up just for you.

Tom Waits
Van
2012 CFB Bowl Pick Champ

Post by Van »

:twisted:

Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

Smackie, I'm not reading all that. You clanked that out at 9 am...weren't you supposed to be at work?
kcdave wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 8:05 am
I was actually going to to join in the best bets activity here at good ole T1B...The guy that runs that contest is a fucking prick
Derron wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 3:07 pm
You are truly one of the worst pieces of shit to ever post on this board. Start giving up your paycheck for reparations now and then you can shut the fuck up about your racist blasts.
Van
2012 CFB Bowl Pick Champ

Post by Van »

Michelle typed it. Smackie simply approved that message.

Smackie Chan
Eternal Scobode

Post by Smackie Chan »

Screw_Michigan wrote:Smackie, I'm not reading all that. You clanked that out at 9 am...weren't you supposed to be at work?
I was at work. Just because I posted it then doesn't meant I wrote it then. As far as you know, anyway. :wink:

Tom Waits
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Post by MgoBlue-LightSpecial »

Actually, Dinsdale logged into my show once. I think he said the music was gay and he called me a homo. Great moment in T1B history.

Nice post, Smackie. You say you don't like to advertise but that was one hell of an advertisement.
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Sudden Sam wrote:And I second what he mentioned first: the fact that everyone gets along and enjoys one another's company is a nice change from the usual behavior in here.
Get fucked.
Bizzarofelice
I wanna be a bear

Post by Bizzarofelice »

you totally melted down, smackie.
why is my neighborhood on fire
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

Would like to echo all the other opinions. Smackie has an amazing ability to play shit you've never heard and does not suck. That is quite a feat.

Smackie, I think you need to try a call in show. Have us cretins call you and put us on the air. I am sure that would be good for a few laughs. Of course, it would require you giving out a phone number and given this crew, i would understand your having reservations about that.
mvscal wrote:The only precious metals in a SHTF scenario are lead and brass.
Bizzarofelice
I wanna be a bear

Post by Bizzarofelice »

what time are the friday shows?
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Bizzarofelice wrote:what time are the friday shows?
9:07
Bizzarofelice
I wanna be a bear

Post by Bizzarofelice »

MgoBlue-LightSpecial wrote:
Bizzarofelice wrote:what time are the friday shows?
9:07

central? mountain?
Van
2012 CFB Bowl Pick Champ

Post by Van »

MgoBlue-LightSpecial wrote:Actually, Dinsdale logged into my show once. I think he said the music was gay and he called me a homo.
Hey, a .500 batting average ain't half bad.

:whistles idly:

poptart
Quitty McQuitface

Post by poptart »

Van wrote:The only truly frustrating thing about Chat is the very thing pop mentioned. That bastard always bails seemingly ten seconds after logging in!
Gotta get out before you start bombing me with theology questions. :)

Maybe I'll be able to hang a little longer today, dunno.
Smackie Chan
Eternal Scobode

Post by Smackie Chan »

Bizzarofelice wrote:you totally melted down, smackie.
totally

Tom Waits
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Highlights of chat/radio...

-if poptart logs in you WILL get run. there is no way around this.
-toolio showing up and shockingly acting like anything other than the 16 year old girl that he portrays.
-Toddowen logging in and melting at the mere sight of me.

"Fuck you, Mgo."
"Fuck off."
"I fucking hate you."
"Die."

~logs out~

Yeah, that's not weird or anything.

-Screw_Michigan getting the fuck kicked out of him, just in a different format.
-Van e-flirting with all the chicks.
-Barflie being high and quiet.
-mamamustanger saying "Hi Everyone!" to every poster that stops in, like a hostess at Applebee's.
-bace commenting on the tunes in cul de smack but won't log in. old school too cool for school hipster.
-Rumps' show. fucking GENIUS.
trev
New Sheriff in Town

Post by trev »

!zzubevol wrote:
Smackie wrote:Others are just too cool for school and wouldn’t wanna be caught dead with the losers in chat. I don’t have a problem with any of that. I pretty much feel or have felt the same way.
Is the library open that late, sweetie?
lovebuzz
Still thinking about a new title

Post by lovebuzz »

trev wrote:
!zzubevol wrote:
Is the library open that late, sweetie?
:mrgreen:

yeah and htehre;s even a bar in here
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

MGO, You a polack?

That would explain a few things.
mvscal wrote:The only precious metals in a SHTF scenario are lead and brass.
campinfool
2009 PET Champion

Post by campinfool »

I haven't been tuning in for a while. But it is good stuff. Even though I'm probably not smart enough to do it, I have threatened to host a punk rock radio show for all 2 members who would be interested.
Shlomart Ben Yisrael
Insha'Allah

Post by Shlomart Ben Yisrael »

Happy Birthday, trev.

Someone special should take you to Ruth's Chris on your special day. Someone who cares for you very deeply.
rock rock to the planet rock ... don't stop
Felix wrote:you've become very bitter since you became jewish......
Kierland drop-kicking Wolftard wrote: Aren’t you part of the silent generation?
Why don’t you just STFU.
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

If there's a better live song than Pinback's Tripoli, I've yet to hear it.
kcdave wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 8:05 am
I was actually going to to join in the best bets activity here at good ole T1B...The guy that runs that contest is a fucking prick
Derron wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 3:07 pm
You are truly one of the worst pieces of shit to ever post on this board. Start giving up your paycheck for reparations now and then you can shut the fuck up about your racist blasts.
mvscal
Blank

Post by mvscal »

I'm sure I could fart a better song.
Screw_Michigan wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:39 pmUnlike you tards, I actually have functioning tastebuds and a refined pallet.
Goober McTuber
World Renowned Last Word Whore

Post by Goober McTuber »

I currently spend most Friday evenings entertaining a 10-year-old. I don’t know if I could tolerate the step-down in IQ by entering Chat. (Save your pedophilic musings, Tarddowen – I’m not reading them.)

I did stop in on Smackie’s show a while back. It was quite enjoyable. How late does the show run?
Joe in PB wrote: Yeah I'm the dumbass
schmick, speaking about Larry Nassar's pubescent and prepubescent victims wrote: They couldn't even kick that doctors ass

Seems they rather just lay there, get fucked and play victim
Smackie Chan
Eternal Scobode

Post by Smackie Chan »

Goober McTuber wrote:I did stop in on Smackie’s show a while back. It was quite enjoyable. How late does the show run?
Depends. (No, that's not one of the show's sponsors.) I played til a little past 3 am Eastern last Friday. Had a great crowd in there. Having you & Screwy in there together would be a howl. Hope to see you there soon.

Tom Waits