At least he's not Tiger Woods

Oh Billy Billy Billy...

Moderator: Dinsdale

Goober McTuber
World Renowned Last Word Whore

At least he's not Tiger Woods

Post by Goober McTuber »

No, Phil Mickelson is a truly decent human being.
On March 23, 2003, a son and a larger purpose were born to Phil Mickelson. His boy, Evan, didn't take a breath during his first seven minutes outside the womb, and Phil stood over him in the delivery room pleading, "Breathe, Evan, breathe."

On the other side of the room Phil's college sweetheart, Amy, had ruptured an artery in her uterus during the delivery and was in danger of bleeding to death. While his wife and son fought for their lives, Phil was swept into a hallway by the medical staff. He sat alone on a bench, his head in his hands, praying. Then he made a covenant that if his loved ones were saved, he would lead a more purposeful life.

Evan and Amy rallied -- she would later beat breast cancer -- and Phil has made good on his promise. On Monday night, he will be inducted into the World Golf Hall of Fame, in recognition of his four major championships and 40 career PGA Tour victories (ninth all time), but if there was a hall dedicated to good deeds he would have been enshrined long ago. He has touched people's lives through random acts of kindness and bold philanthropic initiatives, all of it done quietly, which is the way Mickelson prefers. "He does a lot of stuff I know nothing about," says Jim Mackay, his close friend and careerlong caddie.

Mickelson, 41, has always enjoyed a deeply personal connection with his fans, thanks to his interaction on the course and the endless autographs he signs when the round is over. (He is also beloved in the service industry because of a penchant for dispensing $100 tips.) In the wake of Evan's harrowing delivery, Mickelson has become an agent of change, beginning with an eponymous foundation that does not solicit outside contributions. Mickelson is a science nerd and the son of an Air Force pilot, so supporting education and providing for military veterans have become twin passions. In recent years he has found other creative ways to give back. "I'm lucky to be in a position to help," Mickelson says, and he'd like to leave it at that. It is up to others to tell of his impact outside of golf.

THE FAN

David Finn was born in the wrong body. The 19-year-old from River Edge, N.J., suffers from a mitochondrial disorder that has left his limbs shriveled and his mouth unable to form words. But a broken body can't suppress the powerful spirit within. David's bright blue eyes convey intelligence and an eagerness to connect. He has a beatific smile and a honking laugh that supports a sophisticated sense of humor. "One of his teachers liked to say that David was the only kid who ever got his jokes," says his father, John.

Attached to David's wheelchair is a piece of paper printed with a grid of the alphabet, allowing him to communicate by tapping out words with his crooked fingers. He was a determined enough student to make it through River Dell High, and on graduation day last June he was rewarded with a rousing standing ovation.

He has continued his education at Horizon School, which offers specialized curriculum for students with disabilities, as well as Bergen Community College. A point of emphasis for David is improving his ability to communicate. At Horizon he uses a touch-screen computer with a speaker that articulates whatever David is typing. Recently he was offering a demonstration for a visiting reporter. Asked how he was feeling, David patiently tapped out the perfect answer: "On the spot."

Later he was asked by his speech therapist, Brittany Arrington, "If you could do anything in the world, what would it be?" David could have chosen to dunk a basketball or slow-dance with Kate Upton or sing at Carnegie Hall. Instead he tapped, "Go to the Masters."

Pound for pound, David Finn might be the world's biggest golf fan. "He starts watching with the pregame show on Thursday and doesn't stop until there's a winner on Sunday night," says his mother, Vanessa.

David's love affair with the game began at the 2005 PGA Championship at Baltusrol Golf Club, a 45-minute drive from the family's house. During a Tuesday practice round David was parked in his wheelchair behind the 14th green when Mickelson came through. After putting out he walked over to David and said, "Hi, buddy, thanks for coming. Here's a souvenir for you." He laid an autographed glove in David's lap.

Says John, "So many people don't know how to act around the severely disabled. Pity is the worst possible emotion. The glove was a wonderful gesture, but what made that moment so meaningful was that Phil treated Dave like a normal kid, which is all he wants. Phil gets it. The ease and the grace he displayed says a lot about who he is."

Despite the challenges of navigating a rain-softened course, David insisted on following Mickelson for the rest of the week. Mickelson continued to acknowledge the presence of his newest fan with an occasional smile, a nod or a thumbs-up. He won that PGA with a 72nd-hole birdie, as David cheered him on from a ¬handicapped seating area behind the green. It was a hugely important moment in Mickelson's career, as the victory validated his breakthrough at the previous year's Masters. Yet in the heady minutes immediately after his triumph Mickelson thought of a kid he barely knew.

Mackay hustled over to say his boss was wondering if David would like to have a picture taken with the Wanamaker Trophy. The moment was recorded by the Newark Star-Ledger: Phil has the trophy in one hand, and the other is placed tenderly on the left shoulder of David, whose head is thrown back in ecstasy.

Thus began a friendship that endures to this day. Every year David and his parents attend the Barclays and the Deutsche Bank Championship to root for Mickelson, and he invariably finds them in the gallery. David, in turn, has transformed his bedroom into a shrine to golf in general and Mickelson in particular. The signed glove is preserved behind glass. Above his bed is a 2007 Presidents Cup flag autographed by the U.S. team, while another wall displays a windbreaker from the 2010 Ryder Cup. (Mackay has been instrumental in procuring these souvenirs.) David loves to look through a tattered photo album of his PGA Tour adventures, which his three older sisters call The Book of Phil. The book also contains a picture from 2008, when Mackay came to the house for dinner.

For the upcoming summer vacation David is advocating that the family rent an RV and follow the Tour from town to town, a fanciful idea that his parents are considering. "We don't know what the future holds for Dave," says John. "It would be a great experience for all of us. The world is a nicer place when you're traveling with Dave. He brings out the best in people."

Still, the Finns are not immune to golf's cruelty. This year's Easter dinner was a little glum after Mickelson's triple bogey at the 4th hole cost him a shot at a fourth Masters victory. But David is very much looking forward to watching the telecast of the Hall of Fame ceremonies. Asked why he thought Mickelson was deserving of the honor, David spelled out an impressive response: "Phil is the Arnold Palmer of today." David's father gently chastised him for parroting something they had heard on Golf Channel. David thought a bit longer. With great determination, he tapped, "Phil was the first person to make me feel special."

More here.
Joe in PB wrote: Yeah I'm the dumbass
schmick, speaking about Larry Nassar's pubescent and prepubescent victims wrote: They couldn't even kick that doctors ass

Seems they rather just lay there, get fucked and play victim
BSmack
2005 and 2010 JFFL Champion

Re: At least he's not Tiger Woods

Post by BSmack »

Phil is a classic extrovert. Therefore he excels in reaching out to people. Tiger is an introvert. Maybe that's why nobody ever heard to the hundreds of times Tiger visited US troops until Hank Haney wrote about it.
"Once upon a time, dinosaurs didn't have families. They lived in the woods and ate their children. It was a golden age."

—Earl Sinclair

"I do have respect for authority even though I throw jelly dicks at them.

- Antonio Brown
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

BSmack wrote:Tiger is an introvert.
Yeah, that's it. He's a despicable human being because he's an introvert.

Your constant taint licking of Tiger will never not be pathetic.
kcdave wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 8:05 am
I was actually going to to join in the best bets activity here at good ole T1B...The guy that runs that contest is a fucking prick
Derron wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 3:07 pm
You are truly one of the worst pieces of shit to ever post on this board. Start giving up your paycheck for reparations now and then you can shut the fuck up about your racist blasts.
Felix
2012 JAFFL Champ

Post by Felix »

Screw_Michigan wrote:
Yeah, that's it. He's a despicable human being because he's an introvert.
I don't get all the hatred you have for this guy....what did he refuse to give you an autograph or something? To dislike the guy is one thing, but to call him a "despicable human being" is something else altogether.....

please elaborate
get out, get out while there's still time
Goober McTuber

Post by Goober McTuber »

Oh please. An introvert? He’s an arrogant, selfish, narcissistic piece of shit who lacks respect for the game that made him rich.
schmick, speaking about Larry Nassar's pubescent and prepubescent victims wrote: They couldn't even kick that doctors ass

Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

Goober McTuber wrote: Oh please. An introvert? He’s an arrogant, selfish, narcissistic piece of shit who lacks respect for the game that made him rich.
BUT BUT BUT Gobbles! Did he refuse you an autograph or something? -Feeldix
I was actually going to to join in the best bets activity here at good ole T1B...The guy that runs that contest is a fucking prick
You are truly one of the worst pieces of shit to ever post on this board. Start giving up your paycheck for reparations now and then you can shut the fuck up about your racist blasts.
BSmack

Post by BSmack »

Goober McTuber wrote:
Oh please. An introvert? He’s an arrogant, selfish, narcissistic piece of shit who lacks respect for the game that made him rich.
Tiger hosts not one, but two tournaments a year. All the proceeds of those tournaments go to charities.

Obviously he has no respect for the game.

:meds:
"Once upon a time, dinosaurs didn't have families. They lived in the woods and ate their children. It was a golden age."

—Earl Sinclair

- Antonio Brown
Goober McTuber

Post by Goober McTuber »

BSmack wrote:
Goober McTuber wrote:
Tiger hosts not one, but two tournaments a year. All the proceeds of those tournaments go to charities.

His behavior at any number of tournaments shows disrespect for the game. Yes, his daddy/managers taught him that he has to do some charitable things. It’s important for his image (or what’s left of it). Just my opinion, but I don’t believe his motivations are anything like Phil’s.

Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

BSmack wrote:Tiger hosts not one, but two tournaments a year. All the proceeds of those tournaments go to charities.
Link? He's not hosting the AT&T National anymore. Plus, which Tour even doesn't give almost all proceeds to charity? Specific examples, please. And take your time.
BSmack

Post by BSmack »

Goober McTuber wrote:His behavior at any number of tournaments shows disrespect for the game. Yes, his daddy/managers taught him that he has to do some charitable things. It’s important for his image (or what’s left of it). Just my opinion, but I don’t believe his motivations are anything like Phil’s.
So you're either a mind reader or you're talking out of your ass. Got it.

—Earl Sinclair

- Antonio Brown
BSmack

Post by BSmack »

Screw_Michigan wrote:
BSmack wrote:Tiger hosts not one, but two tournaments a year. All the proceeds of those tournaments go to charities.
Link? He's not hosting the AT&T National anymore. Plus, which Tour even doesn't give almost all proceeds to charity? Specific examples, please. And take your time.
You are a fucking retard. Mix in a Google before you embarrass yourself further.

http://web.tigerwoodsfoundation.org/eve ... onal/index

—Earl Sinclair

- Antonio Brown
Goober McTuber

Post by Goober McTuber »

BSmack wrote:
Goober McTuber wrote:His behavior at any number of tournaments shows disrespect for the game. Yes, his daddy/managers taught him that he has to do some charitable things. It’s important for his image (or what’s left of it). Just my opinion, but I don’t believe his motivations are anything like Phil’s.
So you're either a mind reader or you're talking out of your ass. Got it.
I did say it was my OPINION, you simple-minded twit. But his boorish behavior is a fact.

Felix
2012 JAFFL Champ

Post by Felix »

Screw_Michigan wrote:
Goober McTuber wrote: Oh please. An introvert? He’s an arrogant, selfish, narcissistic piece of shit who lacks respect for the game that made him rich.
BUT BUT BUT Gobbles! Did he refuse you an autograph or something? -Feeldix
neither of you morons knows the first thing about woods other than what you've read, heard, or been told by someone else.....if swearing on a golf course makes you a despicable human, then I'm definitely guilty....if banging a variety of skeezers makes him despicable, then I guess I would have been guilty of that prior to being married.....

the game that made him rich? fukkin A bub, and he had to earn it...it wasn't handed to him
look, I don't give a shit whether you like the guy or not but to call him "despicable" implies you have some intimate knowledge the rest of us aren't privy to....
Goober McTuber

Post by Goober McTuber »

Felix wrote:neither of you morons knows the first thing about woods other than what you've read, heard, or been told by someone else
That’s true about most everyone I read about in the news. Genius take.

Felix wrote: if swearing on a golf course makes you a despicable human, then I'm definitely guilty
And how often do you do that on national television? Another genius take.

Felix wrote: look, I don't give a shit whether you like the guy or not but to call him "despicable" implies you have some intimate knowledge the rest of us aren't privy to
I never said he was despicable. Just arrogant, selfish and narcissistic. Now, if he ever misused the word “palatable” in a sentence, that would be despicable. :wink:

MuchoBulls
Tremendous Slouch

Post by MuchoBulls »

BSmack wrote:
Goober McTuber wrote:

His act on 16 at Augusta this year do validate Goober's point about the lack of respect for the game.
Dreams......Temporary Madness
BSmack

Post by BSmack »

MuchoBulls wrote:His act on 16 at Augusta this year do validate Goober's point about the lack of respect for the game.
I prefer to think of it as an homage to Robert Tyre Jones Jr.

—Earl Sinclair

- Antonio Brown
Felix
2012 JAFFL Champ

Post by Felix »

Goober McTuber wrote: That’s true about most everyone I read about in the news. Genius take.
thanks
And how often do you do that on national television? Another genius take.
don't know, I've never played golf on national television....but you make it sound like he's the only professional player that swears, kicks clubs, acts the fool, etc. if you'd ever attended a professional tournament, you'd know that's definitely not the case...you just don't hear about them because they're not the focus of the spotlight....
I never said he was despicable. Just arrogant, selfish and narcissistic.
yeah, that's a much better characterization....look hoss, you might think you know something about the professional game and you might think you know something about woods, but I can assure you you don't....do you even play?

have you ever played with a PGA player? I've played with about a half dozen of them, and I'm not talking just Nationwide guys, I'm talking guys that played on the PGA tour......have you ever walked inside the ropes at a professional golf tournament? do you know anything about the game other than the insights you receive at the local muny? the stuff you see off camera is the stuff that's jaw dropping....alot of them are nice guys, but a lot of them are total fucking pricks....you just don't hear about them unless they do something really off the hook.....

bubba watson

Sergio

sergio two more times

Charley Hoffman

believe me, I can provide you a thousand more

so what has woods done that's worse than this?
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

Have any of those dudes assaulted paying fans and media members like Dicklick Eldrick and his enabled and totally out of control caddies?
Goober McTuber

Post by Goober McTuber »

Felix wrote:but you make it sound like he's the only professional player that swears, kicks clubs, acts the fool, etc. if you'd ever attended a professional tournament, you'd know that's definitely not the case...you just don't hear about them because they're not the focus of the spotlight....
But Tiger is. And he knows it. I've never seen any of the clips you posted. But I've seen enough of Tiger to know that I'll enjoy watching his career slide into the shitter. Nice round at the Players today. :lol:

Felix
2012 JAFFL Champ

Post by Felix »

Goober McTuber wrote:

But Tiger is. And he knows it. I've never seen any of the clips you posted.
of course you haven't, because you don't jack shit about the game....if you play at all, you're a weekend hack that no doubt takes 3 or 4 mulligans a round, bumps the ball to give yourself a better lie, gives yourself four foot putts because you made one once, then tell everybody you shot a 90 and actually convince yourself that's what you shot, when in reality it was probably more like a 115......
But I've seen enough of Tiger to know that I'll enjoy watching his career slide into the shitter. Nice round at the Players today. :lol:
so, you really have no appreciation for the game....you simply relish in the misery of others.....don't be surprised when people laugh their asses off at your failings.....
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

You didn't answer my question, tard.
Felix
2012 JAFFL Champ

Post by Felix »

Screw_Michigan wrote:You didn't answer my question
Woods attacked a fan? when was this?
you must be talking about Steve Williams kicking a news guys camera, and grabbing another guys camera a few years back at the US Open....but I don't remember woods attacking anybody.....

first off, cameras (other than those with press credentials) are strictly forbidden at PGA tournaments...you knew that right? setting that aside, it seems that morons that decide to bring cameras to the course anyway choose to take photos in the middle of his Tigers back swing....don't know about you, but any noise during the middle of a swing is very distracting to me....talk as much as you want when I'm lining up to take a shot and keep talking, but don't start talking when I'm halfway through the swing....

as far as other pro golfers as douchbags

Colin Montgomery once threw a tee at a teenager during a tournament for some unknown reason...routinely blows off fans and press alike....a real douchebag but doesn't hold a candle to....vvvvvv

Rory Sabbatini has threatened spectators before, picked fights with other golfers and called his caddy a fucking dumbass in front of a group of spectators...berated a teenage kid who was trying to help find an errant shot Sabbatini had hit....has very few friends on tour and the press avoids this guy like the plague

Craig Stadler was a colossal douchebag, good with fans after a tournament, but as temperamental on a course as anyone I've ever seen....

Lee Trevino was great when he was winning, but a giant ass when he wasn't....routinely ignores fans and seldom does unscripted interviews....

Angel Cabrera-have heard from a buddy that was following a group Cabrera was playing in during a tournament that Cabrera is pretty much of a douchebag...maybe a language thing, but don't know....

Curtis Strange-met him at a golf show in Las Vegas once I attended with a buddy of mine that reps a line of golf accessories, and Strange was a total asshole...wouldn't look anyone in the eye while extending out a dead fish handshake....halfway through the evening it became apparent that he was pretty much shitfaced at which time he morphed into an even bigger douchebag....loud and obnoxious....
BSmack

Post by BSmack »

Felix is just going yard on the weekend hackers.

:bode:

—Earl Sinclair

- Antonio Brown
MuchoBulls
Tremendous Slouch

Post by MuchoBulls »

Felix, thanks for the videos of Wagglepuss.
Dreams......Temporary Madness
Goober McTuber

Post by Goober McTuber »

BSmack wrote:Felix is just going yard on the weekend hackers.

Oh, come on. You can't really consider Rory Sabbatini a weekend hacker.

buckeye_in_sc
Eternal Scobode

Post by buckeye_in_sc »

Hey I am a Eldrick fan...always have been and that is tough seeing as I grew up idolizing Jack and the fact Jack went to OSU...don't think for one second that guys like Jack, ARnie, etc back in the old days couldn't be pricks as well...

I think Tiger gets too much heat for when he does something that people don't like...but not enough credit when he does the good things...I mean I caught some of Feherety's show the other day when he had Miller on and they showed a clip of Tiger meeting Feherety in Philly and riding around a course where Feherty has a charity deal and talking to wounded Vets, etc who play golf...guess that still make him despicable and what such...

I watch golf to watch amazing shots and guys who can hit different shots...while I HATE PHIL...I respect his game (and don't think Phil is this clean cut dude either)...I have heard some stories and he can be a pompous ass as well...but the thing is Tiger and Phil can hit so many different shots that you like watching them play...some of the current crop hit boring shots (well with the exception of Bubba) and quite honestly they are boring to watch...

just my $.02...but Tiger is like any other alpha dog in sports you either love them or hate them no matter what they do on or off the field...
BSmack

Post by BSmack »

Goober McTuber wrote:

You really can be a stupid twat when you put your mind to it.

—Earl Sinclair

- Antonio Brown
Goober McTuber

Post by Goober McTuber »

BSmack wrote:
Goober McTuber wrote:

You really can be a stupid twat when you put your mind to it.
And you can be a humorless cunt with no effort whatsoever.

BSmack

Post by BSmack »

Goober McTuber wrote:
BSmack wrote:You really can be a stupid twat when you put your mind to it.
Have you moved to Kansas City?

—Earl Sinclair

- Antonio Brown
Goober McTuber

Post by Goober McTuber »

BSmack wrote:
Goober McTuber wrote:
BSmack wrote:You really can be a stupid twat when you put your mind to it.
Have you moved to Kansas City?
humorless = stupid?

put your mind to it = no effort whatsoever?

Nice effort, Corky.

BSmack

Post by BSmack »

Goober McTuber wrote:humorless = stupid?
Whatever you want to call your stupid and uninspired attempt at deflection, go right ahead. YOU are the weekend hacker who has no understanding of the game of golf whatsoever that I was speaking of. Sabbatini is a very talented douchebag.

See the difference?

—Earl Sinclair

- Antonio Brown
Goober McTuber

Post by Goober McTuber »

BSmack wrote:
Whatever you want to call your stupid and uninspired attempt at deflection, go right ahead. YOU are the weekend hacker who has no understanding of the game of golf whatsoever that I was speaking of. Sabbatini is a very talented douchebag.
Yeah, I got it right away. I see the humor still went over your misshapen head. No surprise there. Go back to pushing your IKYABWAI angle.

Goober McTuber

Post by Goober McTuber »

Felix wrote:believe me, I can provide you a thousand more
I finally took the time to watch some of your videos, Felix. It seems that 90% of them are fucking Euros, and most of them appear to be from some network other than NBC or any other network I might recognize. Sorry I haven't had time to record and watch every Thursday and Friday round. But at least I don't have to worry about my grandchild watching them.

BTW, I'm thinking Bubba's tantrum might have been warranted. And hardly on a level with most of Tiger's. Nice showing at the Players, Tiger.

BSmack

Post by BSmack »

Goober McTuber wrote:
BSmack wrote:
Yeah, I got it right away.
Then it was deflection, not ignorance. Now that you can see that Tiger is nowhere near the aberration you THOUGHT he was, what do you have to say for yourself?

—Earl Sinclair

- Antonio Brown
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

Goober McTuber wrote:Nice showing at the Players, Tiger.
I think that's called

Goober McTuber

Post by Goober McTuber »

BSmack wrote:
Goober McTuber wrote:Yeah, I got it right away.
Then it was deflection, not ignorance. Now that you can see that Tiger is nowhere near the aberration you THOUGHT he was, what do you have to say for yourself?
I never said he was an aberration. There are psychopaths in all walks of life. I'll stand behind my original assessment.

BSmack

Post by BSmack »

Goober McTuber wrote:I never said he was an aberration. There are psychopaths in all walks of life. I'll stand behind my original assessment.
Of course you will. You can never admit you're wrong. Even after mountains of evidence have been produced for you.

—Earl Sinclair

- Antonio Brown
Goober McTuber

Post by Goober McTuber »

BSmack wrote:
Goober McTuber wrote:I never said he was an aberration. There are psychopaths in all walks of life. I'll stand behind my original assessment.
Of course you will. You can never admit you're wrong. Even after mountains of evidence have been produced for you.
My original assessment:
Goober McTuber wrote:
Sorry, I'm still waiting on that evidence.

BSmack

Post by BSmack »

You might just as well stick your finger in your ass Goobs. It has been established that Tiger's behavior is no more or less dickish than any other player. It has also been established that Tiger's support of the Tour and charities is massive. Now where exactly is he bringing discredit to the game again?

—Earl Sinclair

- Antonio Brown
Goober McTuber

Post by Goober McTuber »

BSmack wrote:You might just as well stick your finger in your ass Goobs. It has been established that Tiger's behavior is no more or less dickish than any other player.
I never said he was, though he's probably more consistant at it. But I'm not talking about any other player.

My point still stands. He’s an arrogant, selfish, narcissistic piece of shit who lacks respect for the game that made him rich.

And he's probably a psychopath.

But his balls look really lovely on your double chin.