Tri-tips Steaks?

"Hey Mikey"

Moderator: Mikey

trev
New Sheriff in Town

Tri-tips Steaks?

Post by trev »

WTH? I bought some today. It looks like a good steak. No idea how to cook it. I know Tri-tip is usually sold as like a chuck of meat. These are steak like. Anyone ever bought, cooked this? Half price at Ralphs.
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Re: Tri-tips Steaks?

Post by Screw_Michigan »

Tri-tips are fucking AWESOME. Simple to make. Just buy a roasting pan and one of the tri-tips from Trader Joe's and you are set.
kcdave wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 8:05 am
I was actually going to to join in the best bets activity here at good ole T1B...The guy that runs that contest is a fucking prick
Derron wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 3:07 pm
You are truly one of the worst pieces of shit to ever post on this board. Start giving up your paycheck for reparations now and then you can shut the fuck up about your racist blasts.
R-Jack
Non Sequitur Legend

Post by R-Jack »

I think you guys are missing the fact that trev didn't buy a tri-tip roast. I don't know if they do this outside the west coast, but what she bought was a tri-tip cut into strip steaks and sold at a bigger profit than the roast, even at half off.

They aren't bad. I prefer buying the whole roast as the steaks are just a little tougher. Cook it like you would a sirloin or top round(london broil) and it'll get the job done.

If you like to make chili, cut them into chunks and use that instead of chuck. I had a friend ground them for burgers and said they came out like shit though.
Mikey
Carbon Neutral since 1955

Post by Mikey »

^^^^^
What he said.

Tri-tip roasts are a better bet because you can cook them medium rare to rare and then slice thin on the bias (i.e. diagonally across the grain). It's a little tough otherwise, but they come out extremely juicy if done right.

Cook the steaks just like any other steaks. Season it, cook it over a hot fire until medium rare to rare, let it sit for a few minutes. Don't overcook it or you'll end up with shoe leather. It's going to be tougher than a sirloin or a good NY but it will still taste fine.
trev
New Sheriff in Town

Post by trev »

Would you marinade it?
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

trev wrote:Would you marinade it?
Not a bad idea.

Acid based marinades, along with some types of natural enzymes, will help to tenderize the meat. Try a marninade that has vinegar, citrus or pineapple. If you're using an acid based marinade, though, be sure not to store it in aluminum. Use a plastic zip lock bag. Also, don't leave the marinade on it for too long or the meat will lose some if its natural juices and come out dry or mushy.

When I cook a tri-tip roast I just use this stuff. Great flavor on all meats and fish, but it doesn't tenderize:

If you like a carne asada spin on it I highly recommend Sam the Cooking Guy's recipe. This makes the best carne asada anywhere. It says flank steak but it would work fine on your tri tips.

•1 bunch cilantro (no stems) chopped
•3 large cloves of garlic, minced
•1 tablespoon cumin
•1 teaspoon each Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
•1/3 cup olive oil
•Zest & juice of one lime
•One flank steak - about 1.5 pounds

Steps
1.Combine cilantro, garlic, cumin, salt & pepper, olive oil, lime juice and zest - mix well
2.Put flank and marinade into a large Ziploc bag, zip shut and squish around to make sure flank is well covered
3.Refrigerate 1-4 hours
4.Heat grill to high and grill flank about 5 minutes each side
5.Remove from grill, cover with foil and let rest about 10 minutes before serving

http://www.thecookingguy.com/cookbook/recipe.php?id=617

Matter of fact, I'm going to be making a bunch of this on Saturday.
Goober McTuber
World Renowned Last Word Whore

Post by Goober McTuber »

Would you wrap some canned bacon around it?
Joe in PB wrote: Yeah I'm the dumbass
schmick, speaking about Larry Nassar's pubescent and prepubescent victims wrote: They couldn't even kick that doctors ass

Seems they rather just lay there, get fucked and play victim
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Goober McTuber wrote:Would you wrap some canned bacon around it?
Is that how you soothe your razor burned scrote?
Truman
Eternal Scobode

Post by Truman »

Tri-tip steak?

This boot would be more palatable. :meds:
Goober McTuber
World Renowned Last Word Whore

Post by Goober McTuber »

Mikey wrote:
Goober McTuber wrote:Would you wrap some canned bacon around it?
Is that how you soothe your razor burned scrote?
You really are fucking dense. :lol:
Joe in PB wrote: Yeah I'm the dumbass
schmick, speaking about Larry Nassar's pubescent and prepubescent victims wrote: They couldn't even kick that doctors ass

Seems they rather just lay there, get fucked and play victim
trev
New Sheriff in Town

Post by trev »

I marinaded it in olive oil and soy sauce, grilled it, let it rest. It was good. I'd say it had the tenderness of a top sirloin with a little more flavor. For the price, I would buy it again.