Why don't we talk about good health for a change?

It's the 19th Anniversary for T1B - Fuckin' A

Moderator: Jesus H Christ

R-Jack
Non Sequitur Legend

Why don't we talk about good health for a change?

Post by R-Jack »

Like mine for example. I just figure with you folks reading stories as depressing as Wags angry pancreas or Screw's collapsed asshole leading to his death, it would be nice little pick me up to read about people in perfect health.

I participate in these biometric screenings at work to get a discount on my health insurance. All you have to do to qualify for the savings is total cholesterol under 240 and a blood pressure of 140/90. In simple terms, as long as you are not a walking stroke risk with clogged arteries, you’re eligible. With the bloodwork they do, they include a list of other results for you to forward to your doctor and develop strategies to fix.

Got my results. Let's just say I don't need to call my doctor to work towards improvement.

Total cholesterol. Expected range 125-200. Mine : 149
HDL cholesterol (the good one). Expected: over 40mg/dl. Mine: 66
Triglycerides. Expected: under 150mg/dl. Mine : 33
LDL cholesterol (the bad one). Expected: under 130mg/dl. Mine : 76
Cholesterol/HDL ratio: Expeced: 5 or under. Mine : 2.3
Glucose: Too low:65. Too high:99. Mine: 84
BMI: 24.0
Blood Pressure: normal goal 120/80. Mine: 118/60

Needless to say that last weeks bloodwork was the best test I ever took in my life. Now I know this isn't the definitive statement of total body health. I have minor things like a creaky knee after back to back three hour games of basketball and I doubt that it's normal for one testicle to itch so much more than the other two. However I was very happy with reading these results yesterday. It goes without saying that I celebrated with a six pack of Pyramid.

Get used to it. This shithole is going to have me for a long, long, time. :hfal:
R-Jack
Non Sequitur Legend

Re: Why don't we talk about good health for a change?

Post by R-Jack »

Rack your good health Sam.

I know how you feel about being in pain. On Monday I ran two miles on the treadmill, did 30 minutes of plyometrics, got my leg press up to 400 lbs. and finished off with running another mile.

I was a little sore.
Mikey
Carbon Neutral since 1955

Post by Mikey »

RACK everybody's good health. Appreciate it while it lasts.

My BP was 140/81 last check. Not great but it's been worse.

Can't remember all my blood work but total cholesterol was 190 - HDL and LDL were good, triglycerides were a little high. This is a big improvement over what it was when I first had it checked about 30 years ago. My total cholesterol was over 400. It's an inherited condition where the triglycerides are through the roof. Controlled with Lipitor, exercise and lots of internet usage.

So, other than the fact that I have two new bionic hips (strength and ROM are like 20 years ago, BTW) and the fact that my right arm is starting to go numb, I'm doing OK. Getting old sucks, though.
Go Coogs'
Eternal Scobode

Post by Go Coogs' »

I have to get a full blown physical every year.

I don't have my paperwork either but all my numbers were within range. I also have 20/15 vision.

I could stand to lose a couple pounds in the belly area, but other than that, its good to see I'm living right.

Rack all of you.
88 wrote:Go Coogs' (Regular Season Total Points Champ)
Goober McTuber
World Renowned Last Word Whore

Post by Goober McTuber »

I get a physical every year, last one was in February. My numbers are all well within the acceptable ranges. Several years ago my cholesterol was climbing so I made changes to my diet (including Crestor) and everything came back down.

I don’t have the numbers in front of me either, but my HDL cholesterol consistently shows up in the 80s, undoubtedly due to my red wine consumption.
Joe in PB wrote: Yeah I'm the dumbass
schmick, speaking about Larry Nassar's pubescent and prepubescent victims wrote: They couldn't even kick that doctors ass

Seems they rather just lay there, get fucked and play victim
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Sudden Sam wrote:
I used ot make fun of people with carpal tunnel probs. What a pussy problem. But man, is it a bitch when it happens.

My health is outstanding, except the carpal tunnelS. And the whatchamajigit other nerve that goes through the wrist. Both wrists. When that shit fires off, my middle and forefinger clamp tight to my palm, and it's excruciating, and renders the hand useless. Sometimes, the other one goes, and it's the forefinger and pinky -- hurts slightly less.

Yeah, laugh away -- that shit is unbelievably painful.
I got 99 problems but the 'vid ain't one
Wolfman
Dumpater Artist

Post by Wolfman »

Guess you youngsters don't have any concern for your PSA.
"It''s not dark yet--but it's getting there". -- Bob Dylan

Carbon Dating, the number one dating app for senior citizens.

"Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teaches my hands to the war, and my fingers to fight."
Goober McTuber

Post by Goober McTuber »

Wolfman wrote:Guess you youngsters don't have any concern for your PSA.
Guess you old-timers don't keep up with current events. Do a google search on "psa test no longer recommended" and see what you find.
schmick, speaking about Larry Nassar's pubescent and prepubescent victims wrote: They couldn't even kick that doctors ass

Goober McTuber

Post by Goober McTuber »

Sudden Sam wrote:
Wolfman wrote:Guess you youngsters don't have any concern for your PSA.
They did a biopsy on the ol' prostate end of last year. 12 snips off that bastard.
Lucky you.
8.Why is the PSA test controversial in screening?

Using the PSA test to screen men for prostate cancer is controversial because it is not yet known for certain whether this test actually saves lives. Moreover, it is not clear that the benefits of PSA screening outweigh the risks of follow-up diagnostic tests and cancer treatments. For example, the PSA test may detect small cancers that would never become life threatening. This situation, called overdiagnosis, puts men at risk of complications from unnecessary treatment.

The procedure used to diagnose prostate cancer (prostate biopsy) may cause harmful side effects, including bleeding and infection. Prostate cancer treatments, such as surgery and radiation therapy, may cause incontinence (inability to control urine flow), erectile dysfunction (erections inadequate for intercourse), and other complications. For these reasons, it is important that the benefits and risks of diagnostic procedures and treatment be taken into account when considering whether to undertake prostate cancer screening.

BSmack
2005 and 2010 JFFL Champion

Post by BSmack »

R-Jack wrote:I doubt that it's normal for one testicle to itch so much more than the other two.
:shock:
"Once upon a time, dinosaurs didn't have families. They lived in the woods and ate their children. It was a golden age."

—Earl Sinclair

"I do have respect for authority even though I throw jelly dicks at them.

- Antonio Brown
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Sudden Sam wrote: So what's up with your arm, Mikey?
Cervical radiculopathy (C5 and C6).

It comes with a long story, maybe I'll post it later.
Or maybe not.

(cueing Marty in 3...2...1...)
jiminphilly
2014 JFFL Champion

Post by jiminphilly »

Running my first 5k of the year (and frankly ever) on Saturday. Been running well the past few weeks (including Lady Bird trail in Austin while I was traveling there for business) and got my average mile pace down to about 7:40, though I did a 6:40 mile on Monday when I ran 3.2 miles. Today I went out much slower and had a 7:50 pace for about 2.5 miles. Saturday should be fun.

Rack the Nike GPS app.
Left Seater
36,000 ft above the chaos

Post by Left Seater »

jiminphilly wrote:(including Lady Bird trail in Austin while I was traveling there for business)
There might not be a better place to run, what with all the scenery.
Moving Sale wrote:I really are a fucking POS.
Softball Bat wrote: I am the dumbest motherfucker ever to post on the board.
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Post by MgoBlue-LightSpecial »

Jsc810 wrote:Image
Geddy Lee is a lot shorter than I thought.
Van
2012 CFB Bowl Pick Champ

Post by Van »

And Jsc looks like Michael Phelps compared to those (typical) fat fucks sitting behind him.

Jsc, perhaps those two could stand to put a little less South in their mouths.
Joe Satriani is a mime, right? - 88

Show me your dicks. - trev
jiminphilly
2014 JFFL Champion

Post by jiminphilly »

Left Seater wrote:
jiminphilly wrote:(including Lady Bird trail in Austin while I was traveling there for business)
all the scenery.
rack.
Austin has some of the best looking women.

Oh were you talking about the lake?
Left Seater
36,000 ft above the chaos

Post by Left Seater »

jiminphilly wrote:
Oh were you talking about the lake?

Hell, NO!
Moving Sale wrote:I really are a fucking POS.
Softball Bat wrote: I am the dumbest motherfucker ever to post on the board.
Wolfman
Dumpater Artist

Post by Wolfman »

Did the whole prostate routine last year: tactile exam, sonogram/CAT scan or whatever it was, biopsy (wasn't that fun Sam ?) to find two small tumors. Urologist said I'll die of something else first. That was good enough for me. See ya ! I'm going to be 73 in May and I'm not signing on to a bunch of treatments and meds for that. Would it help me to drop about 50 pounds--hell yes, but I'm not sweating that----yet.
"It''s not dark yet--but it's getting there". -- Bob Dylan

Carbon Dating, the number one dating app for senior citizens.

"Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teaches my hands to the war, and my fingers to fight."
jiminphilly
2014 JFFL Champion

Post by jiminphilly »

Wolfman wrote:Would it help me to drop about 50 pounds--hell yes, but I'm not sweating that----yet.
I imagine carrying around an extra 50 lbs is causing you to sweat excessively anyway.
Python
Elwood

Post by Python »

A couple of years ago I said I was in the best shape of my life, then it all started going downhill fast. In order:

Torn cartilage in my elbow.
Strained bicep.
Strained muscle in my chest/ribs.
Degenerative torn meniscus in left knee. Supartz injection allowed me to keep running.
Degenerative torn meniscus in right knee. Just finished second Supartz injection.
Some kind of strain in my neck for the last month, making it impossible to turn my head to the right.
Add all of that to my high cholesterol and high BP, along with an under producing (I think. I forget.) thyroid and off and on anemia.

It seems like even the slightest injury now takes a month to heal without exception. Just as soon as I get back into my routine of running and lifting, something happens and I have to stop for weeks at a time. Right now I have all of two body parts I can workout. OK, make that 3 but mini-me doesn't really count.

For some reason I had it in my mind that it would be ok for my body to start breaking down at 50 years old, but no sooner than that. This crap started happening at 44. If the knee injections ever stop working, I pretty much won't be able to walk. I get pissed looking at all the fatties in my office that don't give a crap about anything, but I have to literally workout through pain just to try and stay healthy. It just ain't fair. I hate this crap. Even so, I'm still fit and trim, but my body hurts like heck.

Oh, and it's been almost five years since I had a cigarette or a drink. I gave them both up on the same day. I don't recommend that to anyone.

Call me Chip jr.
The Seer
Just the Facts

Post by The Seer »

Nobody gets out alive.
E UNUM PLURIBUS
Python
Elwood

Post by Python »

The elbow was caused by poor form. No question about it. The others were probably because of too much weight, but one time I pulled something from doing freaking pull ups, for cryin' out loud. The same things I've been doing forever suddenly seem to cause injuries. Guess I need to just back off from everything a little. No more lifting to failure. High reps doesn't help build muscle but I guess I should count myself lucky I don't have any serious health issues. You know, death type stuff.
ucantdoitdoggieSTyle2
Eternal Scobode

Post by ucantdoitdoggieSTyle2 »

KC Scott wrote:I fucked up a shoulder when i was 42 trying to do the same routine I did in my 30s. It's a reality we all have to face.
The Hell you say. I am 43... and I

a.)work out harder
b.)am much stronger

...than 10-15 years ago. It's harder for me to keep my body fat low. That I will grant you. Way harder. :brad:
Van
2012 CFB Bowl Pick Champ

Post by Van »

Fuck all you people. Seriously.
Joe Satriani is a mime, right? - 88

Show me your dicks. - trev
Python
Elwood

Post by Python »

Weight isn't an isue with me. I'm really thin, thanks to good genes and a lot of running as I've gotten older. I guess the knees wearing out so early is just genetic, like my cholesterol and BP. My entire skinny family has it, much like my good looks.
ucantdoitdoggieSTyle2
Eternal Scobode

Scott -- I first joined a gym when I was 20 and I trained hardcore for the first 5-7 years. I took in 200+ grams of protein/day <--- insert you favorite homosmack here.

Now I eat pretty much what my family is eating. I think it has a lot to do with less drinking, drugs, partying. As in, I don't do any of those things anymore, except for an occasional beer. Maybe once/twice a month.
Shlomart Ben Yisrael
Insha'Allah

Post by Shlomart Ben Yisrael »

ucantdoitdoggieSTyle2 wrote:...a gym...
KC Scott wrote:...muscle...

Oh great. Here we go again...

:meds:
rock rock to the planet rock ... don't stop
Felix wrote:you've become very bitter since you became jewish......
Kierland drop-kicking Wolftard wrote: Aren’t you part of the silent generation?
Why don’t you just STFU.
Shlomart Ben Yisrael
Insha'Allah

Don't pull me into that vortex, Scott.

Just...don't.

:shock:
Why don’t you just STFU.
Shlomart Ben Yisrael
Insha'Allah

All is well, Scott.

Best wishes to you and your family, my dear friend.

Take care.
Why don’t you just STFU.
Cuda
IKYABWAI

Post by Cuda »

Python wrote:A couple of years ago I said I was in the best shape of my life, then it all started going downhill fast. In order:

Torn cartilage in my elbow.
Strained bicep.
Strained muscle in my chest/ribs.
Degenerative torn meniscus in left knee. Supartz injection allowed me to keep running.
Degenerative torn meniscus in right knee. Just finished second Supartz injection.
Some kind of strain in my neck for the last month, making it impossible to turn my head to the right.
Add all of that to my high cholesterol and high BP, along with an under producing (I think. I forget.) thyroid and off and on anemia.

It seems like even the slightest injury now takes a month to heal without exception. Just as soon as I get back into my routine of running and lifting, something happens and I have to stop for weeks at a time. Right now I have all of two body parts I can workout. OK, make that 3 but mini-me doesn't really count.

For some reason I had it in my mind that it would be ok for my body to start breaking down at 50 years old, but no sooner than that. This crap started happening at 44. If the knee injections ever stop working, I pretty much won't be able to walk. I get pissed looking at all the fatties in my office that don't give a crap about anything, but I have to literally workout through pain just to try and stay healthy. It just ain't fair. I hate this crap. Even so, I'm still fit and trim, but my body hurts like heck.

Oh, and it's been almost five years since I had a cigarette or a drink. I gave them both up on the same day. I don't recommend that to anyone.

Call me Chip jr.
Good thing you don't have any wasp nests to deal with.
WacoFan wrote:Flying any airplane that you can hear the radio over the roaring radial engine is just ghey anyway.... Of course, Cirri are the Miata of airplanes..
socal
Prepare to qualify!

Post by socal »

Finished LA Marathon in 4:10 this year. Last year did it in 3:34. Old, fat, slow, and pissed.
Van wrote:Kumbaya, asshats.
R-Jack wrote:
Atomic Punk wrote:So why did you post it?
Yes, that just happened.
Goober McTuber

Post by Goober McTuber »

KC Scott wrote:The Wife weighed 125 when we got married and she's still 125 - size 5
Is your wife Japanese? US doesn't have a size 5.

Python
Elwood

Post by Python »

Cuda, you ever try to spray a wasp nest and run for your life with 2 bad knees? Down goes Frazier.
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Python wrote:Cuda, you ever try to spray a wasp nest and run for your life with 2 bad knees? Down goes Frazier.
When I was 17 or so, working on a golf course, I found a bottle of insect repellant. Poured it down a yellowjacket nest in the ground and drove off as fast as I could in a golf cart.

Knees didn't come into play.

Those were good times, yo.
Python
Elwood

Post by Python »

You asked your wife what her dress size was? I couldn't run away fast enough, even with good knees.
Goober McTuber

Post by Goober McTuber »

KC Scott wrote:
Goober McTuber wrote:US doesn't have a size 5.
I just went to the source and she said you're wrong - It's a Juniors size and depending on who makes the garment she either wears a 5 or a 6

Well, yes, there is a US size 5. In children’s junior misses. You fucking pedophile.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clothing_sizes

Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

I'm guessing they don't sell any single-digits whatsoever in Wisconsin.
I got 99 problems but the 'vid ain't one
ucantdoitdoggieSTyle2
Eternal Scobode

Can we get an expert (like AP) in here to get a ruling on women's sizes?
Goober McTuber

Post by Goober McTuber »

KC Scott wrote:I go WI on business.

Based on the size of the average Wisconsin women I've seen, I understand why he would think size 5 is a kids size
Nice try. Check this out:

http://chartsbin.com/view/562

Fattest States Ranking - 2011
Missouri 11
Kansas 15
Wisconsin 25

How tall is your wife Scott? My wife is 5'7", under 120 lbs and wears a size 6.

Goober McTuber

Post by Goober McTuber »

KC Scott wrote:I'm not saying we don't have fat ass in Missouri - we do

But You're the one claiming to be a wiki expert on womens sizes
I've just bought clothes for my wife before. I've always seen the sizes on the rack 2, 4, 6, 8, etc. Never any odd numbers.