Sweet 16 Thread

The Madness isn't confined to March here!

Moderators: the_ouskull, helmet, Shine

buckeye_in_sc
Eternal Scobode

Sweet 16 Thread

Post by buckeye_in_sc »

I'll start it...

some very good matchups here and I am one that follows the adage I want to see the higher seeds (Ohio U and NCSU not withstanding)...some interesting matchups thoughts:

4 teams from Ohio made it...first time I believe that has ever happened (huge John Groce fan so good for the Bobcats)
IU v Kentucky again...
Ohio grudge match...OSU v Cincy...Cincy people hate that they are basically 2nd fiddle in Ohio
Syracuse v Wisconsin...wow...the 2/3 against Wisconsin's bombers...could that be a first to 50 wins type of game?
MSU v Louisville...gosh...the Spartans can play a couple of different ways...so I'll be interested to see what izzo has planned

I think my favorite matchup up is Marquette v UF...UF is shooting lights out so far...can they keep it up...but dang if Marquette isn't so fucking athletic...

thoughts?
M2
2005 Cryin' Ryan Winner

Re: Sweet 16 Thread

Post by M2 »

Butch Lee (a New York City kid) and Jerome Whitehead... played at Marquette back in the day for old man Al Maguire and was one of my favorite teams ever.

I still think Butch Lee was the best point guard in College Basketball history... with Phil Ford from North Carolina and Jason Kidd from Cal coming in as a close 2nd.

A classic last second shot by Jerome Whitehead from Butch Lee... over "Cornbread" Maxwell" will be one of my all time favorites.

But, my favorite College Basketball player ever... was David "Skywalker" Thompson and his kick ass vertical leap. When a 42 inch vertical leap was really... a 42 inch vertical leap.

Best play EVER... in College Basketball history

6 foot 3 inch David Thompson going to school on 7 foot Bill Walton and the fUCLA bruins during their dynasty.

My bad... Bill Walton spent over 1 million dollars to have the audio and ability to embed this video over the INTERNET.

Old school... David Thompson

Goober McTuber
World Renowned Last Word Whore

Post by Goober McTuber »

M2 wrote:Butch Lee (a New York City kid) and Jerome Whitehead... played at Marquette back in the day for old man Al Maguire and was one of my favorite teams ever.
Yet you don't even know how to spell the coach's name. Idiot.
Joe in PB wrote: Yeah I'm the dumbass
schmick, speaking about Larry Nassar's pubescent and prepubescent victims wrote: They couldn't even kick that doctors ass

Seems they rather just lay there, get fucked and play victim
M2
2005 Cryin' Ryan Winner

Post by M2 »

Looks like someone's care-giver had the day off...
Terry in Crapchester
2012 March Madness Champ

Post by Terry in Crapchester »

buckeye_in_sc wrote:Syracuse v Wisconsin...wow...the 2/3 against Wisconsin's bombers...could that be a first to 50 wins type of game?
If SU can shut down Wisconsin to that point, I think Boeheim will have them in fast breaks in transition.
War Wagon wrote:The first time I click on one of your youtube links will be the first time.
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Post by MgoBlue-LightSpecial »

Terry in Crapchester wrote:If SU can shut down Wisconsin to that point, I think Boeheim will have them in fast breaks in transition.
That wouldn't be SU "shutting down" Wisconsin. That would simply be yet another case of Wisky dictating the tempo of the game. When you drain the shot clock on every possession it's going to be a low scoring affair for both teams. My bracket went to shit a long time ago but I have Wisky beating Syracuse in this game, so a W here would be helpful.
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

Sudden Sam wrote:I had NC beating UK to win it all, but with the injury to their PG, I'm seeing either UK or Michigan State winning this thing.

Michigan State is a lot better than I thought they were and I think the Kentucky freshmen are bound to break down and play like the kids they are at some point. They're ridiculously talented, but the pressure is amping up. The one-and-dones break every year so far.

Izzo gets the ring. That's my somewhat tentative nod to MSU.
you can't really ever doubt Izzo in the tournament. the worst draw of all time is MSU on yer side of the bracket. Colorado had a very good team in 01 or 02. Ricardo Patton was always an iffy game coach but they had a complete team. they beat eventual Final Four teams Kansas (Heinrich, Collison) and Texas (TJ Ford) in Boulder that year. However, a couple missed FT's on the road at Nebraska early in the season had them 10-6 i think instead of 11-5 in a Big XII that also sent OU to the Elite Eight (Hollis Price) and solid ATM (Gillespie) and Tech (RMK) teams....and they draw an underachieving Izzo team in the first round. and get smoked by a renewed, Izzo up their ass for a week, D-ing up, rebounding and hustling Sparty team.
""On a lonely planet spinning its way toward damnation amid the fear and despair of a broken human race, who is left to fight for all that is good and pure and gets you smashed for under a fiver? Yes, it's the surprising adventures of me, Sir Digby Chicken-Caesar!"
"
Truman
Eternal Scobode

Post by Truman »

Jayzus, would somebody PLEEZE put a slug in Wisconsin?

Fucks play basketball the same way they play on the gridiron: Slow, white, and boring.

Oh, and slow.

And boring.

C'mon, Syracuse!
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

are you kidding me Tru, I'm loving Wisky right about now.

Go Badgers!
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Highlights of the first half of MSU/Louisville:

Truman
Eternal Scobode

Post by Truman »

Thank you, Orange.

Wisconsin is singurarly the slowest, most boring, plodding basketball program in D1. They win 20+ games a season because their opponents are simply too disinterested to care about the outcome. Even Ivy League motion offenses move better than Wisky. Christ-in-the-paint, at least the Hickory Hoosiers scored after six passes....

I can already imagine my version of the Afterlife: Lucifer will welcome me to Eternity by sending me to Wisconsin to watch endless loops of Badger football AND basketball. Sweet Christ, what a freaking abomination to the game of basketball....
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

Truman wrote:I can already imagine my version of the Afterlife: Lucifer will welcome me to Eternity by sending me to Wisconsin to watch endless loops of Badger football AND basketball.
:lol:

still wanted those boys to win, though.
BSmack
2005 and 2010 JFFL Champion

Post by BSmack »

The Big East is pwning the B1G.

SU > Wisky
Louisville > Sparty

And now for Cincinnati to complete the trifecta.
"Once upon a time, dinosaurs didn't have families. They lived in the woods and ate their children. It was a golden age."

—Earl Sinclair

"I do have respect for authority even though I throw jelly dicks at them.

- Antonio Brown
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

My condolences to Sparty fan.

I know how you feel.
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

King Crimson wrote:you can't really ever doubt Izzo in the tournament.
Is that right?

Sin,

2006, 2012
kcdave wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 8:05 am
I was actually going to to join in the best bets activity here at good ole T1B...The guy that runs that contest is a fucking prick
Derron wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 3:07 pm
You are truly one of the worst pieces of shit to ever post on this board. Start giving up your paycheck for reparations now and then you can shut the fuck up about your racist blasts.
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

Big East sucks

Sin,

MgoTardTimeSpecial
kcdave wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 8:05 am
I was actually going to to join in the best bets activity here at good ole T1B...The guy that runs that contest is a fucking prick
Derron wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 3:07 pm
You are truly one of the worst pieces of shit to ever post on this board. Start giving up your paycheck for reparations now and then you can shut the fuck up about your racist blasts.
MuchoBulls
Tremendous Slouch

Post by MuchoBulls »

I was very surprised at how poorly Marquette played. Would have been nice to see them play Louisville again.
Dreams......Temporary Madness
BSmack
2005 and 2010 JFFL Champion

Post by BSmack »

Looks like tOSU is going to be a tough out. Unrack the Bearcats for being my first Final 4 team to get bounced out of my bracket.
"Once upon a time, dinosaurs didn't have families. They lived in the woods and ate their children. It was a golden age."

—Earl Sinclair

"I do have respect for authority even though I throw jelly dicks at them.

- Antonio Brown
buckeye_in_sc
Eternal Scobode

Post by buckeye_in_sc »

OSU is a Big East wrecking crew...
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Props to Louisville. Didn't see that coming in a million years. I knew it was a game MSU could lose, but didn't see it going down that way. Got out-hustled, out-toughed and out-rebounded. On top of that, couldn't make any open shots. On top of that, Louisville was one of the worst 3 point shooting teams in the country and was nailing everything. It was just one of those nights.
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Screw_Michigan wrote:Big East sucks

Sin,

MgoTardTimeSpecial
Izzo is still 5-1 against the Big East in the tourney, pal.
Truman
Eternal Scobode

Post by Truman »

Not gonna lie: The last team I wanted to see Mizzou play out of the West was Sparty. Not only was the thought of overcoming an Izzo-led team daunting, my Tigers simply did not match up at all with the Spartans. Big, tough, physical, and fast. They were K-State with talent AND tournament experience. The rest of the West? Meh. Mizzou woulda run 'em off the court. 'Course, there was that little thing about getting by an unconscious Middle Valley Polytechnical State at Norfolk squad in the Round of 64... :brad:

ABK - Anybody but Kansas
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

T'was the match-up I was hoping for, Tru.

But MSU got exposed. Fortunately Izzo brings in a boat load of length and athleticism in the next couple classes, something he hasn't had much of in the past out of his guards. Hope those guys bring more mental toughness as well.
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

MgoBlue-LightSpecial wrote:T'was the match-up I was hoping for, Tru.

But MSU got exposed. Fortunately Izzo brings in a boat load of length and athleticism in the next couple classes, something he hasn't had much of in the past out of his guards. Hope those guys bring more mental toughness as well.

You guys will miss Green's leadership. I don't know if you've got a guy like that on your team...might have to be more of a lead by committee.

Michigan may lose Burke and Smotrycz on top of Novak and Douglass. Burke would be foolish to leave now to be a late 1st rounder at best. Smotrycz and a couple other scrubs are leaving because of PT. Well earn it, you candyass...
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Shoalzie wrote:You guys will miss Green's leadership. I don't know if you've got a guy like that on your team...might have to be more of a lead by committee.
They don't have another Green, but other guys emerge. Just part of the evolution. They also need size and talent, which is on the way.
Michigan may lose Burke and Smotrycz on top of Novak and Douglass. Burke would be foolish to leave now to be a late 1st rounder at best. Smotrycz and a couple other scrubs are leaving because of PT. Well earn it, you candyass...
Yeah, what the hell is going on in AA? Smotrycz seemed like a perfect fit for Beilein's system.
M Club
el capitán

Post by M Club »

smotrcyz was the perfect fit as a 4. problem was the injury to horford this year meant he spent far too much time at the 5 piling up the sort of fouls you'd expect of someone outside his defensive comfort zone. actually, any sort of defense is out of his comfort zone, which is why beilein felt more comfortable sliding novak down there instead. the 5 next year is covered with horford coming back off his redshirt but then mcgary's coming in and will probably start at the 4, which means playing time's still going to be an issue for smotrycz. there are also reports that he just wasn't happy in aa. this is all speculation, of course. not like homeboy's come out and said anything definitive.

the feeling inside michigan basketball is that burke will be back for one more year. that's from the sid.
Goober McTuber

Post by Goober McTuber »

Truman wrote:Not gonna lie: The last team I wanted to see Mizzou play out of the West was Sparty. Not only was the thought of overcoming an Izzo-led team daunting, my Tigers simply did not match up at all with the Spartans.
Your team didn't even match up with a 15-seed. Nice season. :lol:
schmick, speaking about Larry Nassar's pubescent and prepubescent victims wrote: They couldn't even kick that doctors ass

FLW Buckeye
2014 T1B FBBL Champ

Post by FLW Buckeye »

Goober McTuber wrote:
Truman wrote:Not gonna lie: The last team I wanted to see Mizzou play out of the West was Sparty. Not only was the thought of overcoming an Izzo-led team daunting, my Tigers simply did not match up at all with the Spartans.
Your team didn't even match up with a 15-seed. Nice season. :lol:
They ran into the Mizzou version of Appy State...
Truman
Eternal Scobode

Post by Truman »

Goober McTuber wrote:Nice season.
As opposed to the three-yards-and-a-cloud-of-free-throws style of basketball they play in Wisconsin?

Yes it was. It takes a heroic effort and two full games for Wisky to equal Mizzou's season scoring average.

What did you guys win again this season? I missed the t-shirts...
Truman
Eternal Scobode

Post by Truman »

FLW Buckeye wrote:They ran into the Mizzou version of Appy State...
Naw, just add 'em (Norfolk) to the list, tOSU.

It's been awhile, but Mizzou Happens when it comes to this damn Tournament...

*Edit: Best line of the day: "Chuck Norris wears Frank Martin jammies."

South Cack-a-lacky got themselves one helluva coach.
Goober McTuber

Post by Goober McTuber »

Truman wrote:
Goober McTuber wrote:Nice season.
As opposed to the three-yards-and-a-cloud-of-free-throws style of basketball they play in Wisconsin?

Yes it was. It takes a heroic effort and two full games for Wisky to equal Mizzou's season scoring average.
Well, we did make it to the Sweet 16. Where we lost to a 1-seed, not a 15. Of course, that was a significant achievement for this Wisky team, which was picked to finish between 7th and 9th in the conference. Your team, in your other hand, grossly underachieved. Too bad they don't award championships for scoring average, eh? :lol:

M Club
el capitán

Post by M Club »

when did "we were supposed to finish last but didn't" begin to count as shit talking?
Goober McTuber

Post by Goober McTuber »

Around 7:53 AM in the Central Time Zone.

It was a juxtaposition of overachieving vs. underachieving.

Truman
Eternal Scobode

Post by Truman »

Goober McTuber wrote:Well, we did make it to the Sweet 16. Where we lost to a 1-seed, not a 15. Of course, that was a significant achievement for this Wisky team, which was picked to finish between 7th and 9th in the conference. Your team, in your other hand, grossly underachieved. Too bad they don't award championships for scoring average, eh? :lol:
Sweet 16, eh? What kind of trophy do they give you for that?

Lemme get this straight: A team picked by the league’s coaches to finish fourth in its conference wins a school record 30 games, a conference tournament championship, and rises to #3 in the country in both final polls “grossly underachied"?

Hmm. Wonder which is higher? Wisky’s in-conference scoring average or Goober’s IQ? Both comfortably below room temperature, of course...
Goober McTuber

Post by Goober McTuber »

Truman wrote:
Goober McTuber wrote:Well, we did make it to the Sweet 16. Where we lost to a 1-seed, not a 15. Of course, that was a significant achievement for this Wisky team, which was picked to finish between 7th and 9th in the conference. Your team, in your other hand, grossly underachieved. Too bad they don't award championships for scoring average, eh? :lol:
Sweet 16, eh? What kind of trophy do they give you for that?

Lemme get this straight: A team picked by the league’s coaches to finish fourth in its conference wins a school record 30 games, a conference tournament championship, and rises to #3 in the country in both final polls “grossly underachied"?

Hmm. Wonder which is higher? Wisky’s in-conference scoring average or Goober’s IQ? Both comfortably below room temperature, of course...
Based on your tournament performance, you "underachied", Mr. IQ-smack. But it was better than you’ve typically done in recent years, right?

Truman
Eternal Scobode

Post by Truman »

Drat. Burned by a sentence edit...

Where are you going with this Goobs?

They lost to Cincy, a higher seed, in the Round of 64 last year.
They lost to West Virginia, a higher seed, In the Round of 32 in 2010.
And they lost to UCONN, a higher seed, in the Elite Eight back in '09.

So, no, losing to a lower seed (and a 15 at that) is not "better than you’ve typically done in recent years."

Disappointing finish? You bet. An "underchieing" team? Re-read the correctly spelled words in my previous post and get back to me. Every team, save one, finishes its season with an "L".
Goober McTuber

Post by Goober McTuber »

Truman wrote:Drat. Burned by a sentence edit...

Where are you going with this Goobs?

They lost to Cincy, a higher seed, in the Round of 64 last year.
They lost to West Virginia, a higher seed, In the Round of 32 in 2010.
And they lost to UCONN, a higher seed, in the Elite Eight back in '09.

So, no, losing to a lower seed (and a 15 at that) is not "better than you’ve typically done in recent years."

Disappointing finish? You bet. An "underchieing" team? Re-read the correctly spelled words in my previous post and get back to me. Every team, save one, finishes its season with an "L".

Recent years goes back to 2003-2004. :mrgreen:

BTW, I run a bracket pool for my local sports bar. We had 176 entries this year. A significant number had Mizzou ending with a “W”. Yeah, that's "underchieing" (how many different spellings do you have for that word?)

Truman
Eternal Scobode

Post by Truman »

I could see where "recent" might be defined as "almost ten years ago" when you've been around since dirt was invented...

For the rest of us, four straight tournament appearances suffice. 'Specially when such performance (or lack thereof) is relevent to the team's current crop of outgoing seniors. BTW, I missed the link to the guy with a perfect bracket. Be sure to hook us up with it when you peck out your retort. TIA.

Oh, and sorry you missed the quotes and itallics in the last post denoting the irony of my misspelling. I'll be sure to include [/word-misspelled-solely-for-the-pupose-of-entertaining-Goober] tags next time just so you can keep up.
Goober McTuber

Post by Goober McTuber »

My bad. It's just so hard to tell whether you're trying to look stupid on purpose.

Truman
Eternal Scobode

Post by Truman »

You mean like categorizing a 30-5 team with a new coach that was picked to finish fourth in its conference as underachieving? That kind of puposeful stupid?