Can someone explain the near universal hatred for Duke?

The Madness isn't confined to March here!

Moderators: the_ouskull, helmet, Shine

MiketheangrydrunkenCUfan
Baby Bitch

Can someone explain the near universal hatred for Duke?

Post by MiketheangrydrunkenCUfan »

This has always baffled me a little. I mean, I get that people hate/envy successful programs, hence the vitriol for the Yankees, Cowboys, Lakers, et al. But there are plenty of CBB programs on a comparable level as Duke (Kentucky, UConn, Kansas, UNC, MSU) that don't inspire nearly as much hate.

As far as I can tell, Duke is a pretty classy program. They're not in an inherently hatable market, like NY or LA. Coach K is a brilliant mind and a seemingly decent human being. A solid majority of their kids actually stick around for a degree. And outside of the Laettner head stomping incident 20 years ago, they're not a particularly thuggish team.

So what is it? Is it just that they're a hoity-toity private school? That's the only real difference I can see between them and the rest of CBB's elite programs. Well, that and the fact that they're one of the only teams in the country that can have 3-4 white guys on the floor at any given time without making you wonder WTF the coach is thinking...
"Keys, woman!"
M Club
el capitán

Re: Can someone explain the near universal hatred for Duke?

Post by M Club »

uncle toms, even the white guys.
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Post by MgoBlue-LightSpecial »

It's the Tebow effect. Nobody hates Duke itself, just the excessive dick sucking they receive from the media.
Arch Angel
Elwood

Post by Arch Angel »

MgoBlue-LightSpecial wrote:It's the Tebow effect. Nobody hates Duke itself, just the excessive dick sucking they receive from the media.
This

ESPN and especially Vitale ram them down our throats for the last 15 years.
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

15 years? Seems like a lot longer than that, but yeah.
King Crimson
Eternal Scobode

Post by King Crimson »

Notre Dame, but hoops.

i spent a year at Duke in grad school, and everyone in Durham hated Duke in favor of UNC..............it's just like that. and Duke is considered a yankee haven. prep school kids from New England, etc.

blue collar townies v. prep school kids from Atlanta, yankees. UNC serves the state of North Carolina. Chapel Hill is just 15 miles just down the road.

the area around Duke in Durham was cool for Duke people, but Durham was pretty hostile to Duke in general. that's where it starts.

i realize Mike is talking about a wider, national thing....but i think that's where it starts. the resentment.

now, i never became a Duke fan. so, fuck em.
""On a lonely planet spinning its way toward damnation amid the fear and despair of a broken human race, who is left to fight for all that is good and pure and gets you smashed for under a fiver? Yes, it's the surprising adventures of me, Sir Digby Chicken-Caesar!"
"
buckeye_in_sc
Eternal Scobode

Post by buckeye_in_sc »

plus living down here you get to hear two inbred fan bases go at it...

i could give two shits about either...there is just as much Carolina butt fucking as Duke if you ask me...but I still hate Duke more in reality...
Terry in Crapchester
2012 March Madness Champ

Post by Terry in Crapchester »

Arch Angel wrote:
MgoBlue-LightSpecial wrote:It's the Tebow effect. Nobody hates Duke itself, just the excessive dick sucking they receive from the media.
This

True, but they do the same thing with Carolina, so this isn't the full answer.
War Wagon wrote:The first time I click on one of your youtube links will be the first time.
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

The excessive media fellatio of anything in sports generally produces major pushback by the viewing public. Fans would rather get just news and information from sports media and not be told what teams, coaches or players should be revered. There is too much media in general and instead of covering all teams, they stick to the teams and players THEY consider "buzzworthy".

Anyone that follows college hoops knows who Duke is and what they're about...we just don't like being beaten over the head with the obvious everyday. Instead of hating teams and players because of the media, I've just listened less and less to the media. Coach K has become as more of a celebrity than just a coach but I'd put a lot of the blame on how he's covered. There's definitely an aura of arrogance and elitism with that program so that will turn most people off and fans revel in watching them go down...especially to team like Lehigh. The other turnoff is the idea that K can't do any wrong when so many top coaches are shown to be crooks...he's "too good to be true".
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

MgoBlue-LightSpecial wrote:Nobody hates Duke itself
You haven't met too many Puke grads, have you? Puke grads believe Puke is the center of the universe.
kcdave wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 8:05 am
I was actually going to to join in the best bets activity here at good ole T1B...The guy that runs that contest is a fucking prick
Derron wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 3:07 pm
You are truly one of the worst pieces of shit to ever post on this board. Start giving up your paycheck for reparations now and then you can shut the fuck up about your racist blasts.
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

You can probably say the same thing about any hoity-toity east coast private school.
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

MgoBlue-LightSpecial wrote:You can probably say the same thing about any hoity-toity east coast private school.
No, not really.
kcdave wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 8:05 am
I was actually going to to join in the best bets activity here at good ole T1B...The guy that runs that contest is a fucking prick
Derron wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 3:07 pm
You are truly one of the worst pieces of shit to ever post on this board. Start giving up your paycheck for reparations now and then you can shut the fuck up about your racist blasts.
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Really? I find it hard to believe Duke has a monopoly on annoying, entitled rich kids. In any event, we're talking about a basketball team here.
Bizzarofelice
I wanna be a bear

Post by Bizzarofelice »

Arch Angel wrote:
This

3st. Time was a San Diego St. v Colordo St. game would include 40% discussion of the teams on the floor and 60% discussion of Duke.
why is my neighborhood on fire
SunCoastSooner
Reported Bible Thumper

Post by SunCoastSooner »

King Crimson wrote:Notre Dame, but hoops.

i spent a year at Duke in grad school, and everyone in Durham hated Duke in favor of UNC..............it's just like that. and Duke is considered a yankee haven. prep school kids from New England, etc.

blue collar townies v. prep school kids from Atlanta, yankees. UNC serves the state of North Carolina. Chapel Hill is just 15 miles just down the road.

the area around Duke in Durham was cool for Duke people, but Durham was pretty hostile to Duke in general. that's where it starts.

i realize Mike is talking about a wider, national thing....but i think that's where it starts. the resentment.

now, i never became a Duke fan. so, fuck em.
My youngest sister goes to Duke. She is originally from Jacksonville/Camp Lejune before she came to live with me for her last two years of high school after her mother passed away.

I always liked Duke growing up and living for a time at Fort Bragg. I think it was more my developed hatred for UNC that caused me to like Duke.
BSmack wrote:I can certainly infer from that blurb alone that you are self righteous, bible believing, likely a Baptist or Presbyterian...
Miryam wrote:but other than that, it's cool, man. you're a christer.
LTS TRN 2 wrote:Okay, Sunny, yer cards are on table as a flat-out Christer.
ucantdoitdoggieSTyle2
Eternal Scobode

Post by ucantdoitdoggieSTyle2 »

Screw_Michigan wrote:
MgoBlue-LightSpecial wrote:Nobody hates Duke itself
You haven't met too many Puke grads, have you? Puke grads believe Puke is the center of the universe.
Lots of alumni think the same way about their respective schools. See also, the shitload of people with whom I work that graduated from Yale, Harvard, MIT, BU, BC, Brown, and Dartmouth.

UConn, Baby!
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

UConnfan's hatred of duke goes back to them and chrissy laettner in particular, always being the roadblock to the final four. And later on being their doormat to the title.

As for the rest of the country, I think it is partly because they have had the greatest success over the past quarter century and partly because they are arch enemies of UNC who had a huge following because of MJ.

I was one of the dukkie haytas, being from Ct, but, that is subsiding with time and because coach K runs the classiest program in the country. If more coaches followed his lead, college ball would be better and the average college playing career for top level tlent might extend past a year.
mvscal wrote:The only precious metals in a SHTF scenario are lead and brass.
Terry in Crapchester
2012 March Madness Champ

Papa Willie wrote:my penis is blue.
Since you can't see it, I guess I'm somewhat curious as to how you know that. Or maybe not.

In any event, you might want to get to a doctor to get it checked out.
War Wagon wrote:The first time I click on one of your youtube links will be the first time.
ucantdoitdoggieSTyle2
Eternal Scobode

smackaholic wrote:UConnfan's hatred of duke goes back to them and chrissy laettner in particular, always being the roadblock to the final four.
Couple of things, douche.

If by always being a roadblock, you mean 1990 and 1991, then yes. Always. We haven't lost to Duke since 1991, winning the last two regular season and last two post season match-ups.

I was at the Meadowlands the day Chris Smith dribbled the ball of his leg and UConn didn't guard the man inbounding the ball. It was pretty much a give and go between Laetner and Hurley. That pain of that loss stung for 9 long years. That loss alone is why I hated Duke. Okay, maybe it had something to do with them going to the Final Four every year. But still. It was 1990. It was the Dream Season, for Chrissakes. A dream cut way too short.

We had zero chance to win in 1991. Unlike the year before, Duke was a far superior team that year. That's probably why Rod Sellers dribbled Laetner's head on the floor. He knew he wasn't going to win the war, so the battle it had to be. We weren't winning the game.

Duke hatred has nothing to do with Michael Jordan. Jordan wasn't even Jordan at Carolina. Good to see you took your stupid pills while being away.

The hatred going away has nothing to do with time or "being classy" and everything to do with 1999. We paid those cuntbags back that day. Don't you get that? I assume you didn't go to UConn because you're utterly clueless about the waning hatred. There was no more reason to hate. And when we cunt-punted them on the way to another title 5 years later, I cared even less. We had already slayed the dragon. We had come into our own. We were an elite program, much like the people we used to hate on when Calhoun first started righting the ship.

Now... we're at the top of the heap. We are Duke, you moron. But again, you're a clueless fuck so I don't expect you to "get this."
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

^^^

ouch. that's going to leave a mark.
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

ucantdoitdoggieSTyle2 wrote:
smackaholic wrote:UConnfan's hatred of duke goes back to them and chrissy laettner in particular, always being the roadblock to the final four.
Couple of things, douche.

If by always being a roadblock, you mean 1990 and 1991, then yes. Always. We haven't lost to Duke since 1991, winning the last two regular season and last two post season match-ups.

I was at the Meadowlands the day Chris Smith dribbled the ball of his leg and UConn didn't guard the man inbounding the ball. It was pretty much a give and go between Laetner and Hurley. That pain of that loss stung for 9 long years. That loss alone is why I hated Duke. Okay, maybe it had something to do with them going to the Final Four every year. But still. It was 1990. It was the Dream Season, for Chrissakes. A dream cut way too short.

We had zero chance to win in 1991. Unlike the year before, Duke was a far superior team that year. That's probably why Rod Sellers dribbled Laetner's head on the floor. He knew he wasn't going to win the war, so the battle it had to be. We weren't winning the game.

Duke hatred has nothing to do with Michael Jordan. Jordan wasn't even Jordan at Carolina. Good to see you took your stupid pills while being away.

The hatred going away has nothing to do with time or "being classy" and everything to do with 1999. We paid those cuntbags back that day. Don't you get that? I assume you didn't go to UConn because you're utterly clueless about the waning hatred. There was no more reason to hate. And when we cunt-punted them on the way to another title 5 years later, I cared even less. We had already slayed the dragon. We had come into our own. We were an elite program, much like the people we used to hate on when Calhoun first started righting the ship.

Now... we're at the top of the heap. We are Duke, you moron. But again, you're a clueless fuck so I don't expect you to "get this."
you have pretty much echoed what i said, ucunt.

i said early on, they were the roadblock, later on, the doormat.

and i do believe their being a rival of the 'heels does figure into the picture. i was not the biggest college hoop fan as a kid in the 70s, but, i do remember that they were a power with national following and that the dean was already a mythical figure. and i do believe that when jordan became god, sometime in the late 80s early 90s, UNC stock rose a few points just due to association.

as for why our hatred of duke wanes today, it is part time, part our getting payback on the way to two titles, but, for me anyway, it is partly because coach K runs a program the way it should be run. he goes after good smart kids. he doesn't go after the lottery pick hood rats.

you might hate coach K, but, you have to respect him and would be happy to have him coaching your team.
ucantdoitdoggieSTyle2
Eternal Scobode

smackaholic wrote:as for why our hatred of duke wanes today, it is part time, part our getting payback on the way to two titles, but, for me anyway, it is partly because coach K runs a program the way it should be run. he goes after good smart kids. he doesn't go after the lottery pick hood rats.
He's been the coach at Duke for over 30 years. And just recently this whole 'clean program thingie' started to sink in with you? You hated him in the 80s/90s when his program was just as clean, but now, yeah... it's different.

Makes total sense.
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

smackaholic wrote:as for why our hatred of duke wanes today, it is part time, part our getting payback on the way to two titles, but, for me anyway, it is partly because coach K runs a program the way it should be run. he goes after good smart kids. he doesn't go after the lottery pick hood rats.
He's been the coach at Duke for over 30 years. And just recently this whole 'clean program thingie' started to sink in with you? You hated him in the 80s/90s when his program was just as clean, but now, yeah... it's different.

Makes total sense.
no one gave a fukk about him in the 80s.

we hated him in the 90s for reasons pretty well discussed already'.

today, i have to give the guy credit for not only running a clean program, but, for doing something no one else in CB seems to be capable of. he hangs onto his kids longer than anyone. and , i don't know about you, but, i am kind of tired of 1 and done college hoop players. when calhoun was able to do this with hamilton and oakafore, it resulted in titles. i fukkin' wish he was as good at retaining players at coach k was. might be another trophy or two in the case if he was.
ucantdoitdoggieSTyle2
Eternal Scobode

smackaholic wrote:no one gave a fukk about him in the 80s.
Yes, they did. Do you not recall who the fuck Danny Ferry is? Johnny Dawkins? The hatred for Duke and Coach K started in the 80s, asshat. Final Fours in 86, 88, and 89.

Do you ever tire of being pummelled?
Terry in Crapchester
2012 March Madness Champ

smackaholic wrote:today, i have to give the guy credit . . . for doing something no one else in CB seems to be capable of. he hangs onto his kids longer than anyone. and , i don't know about you, but, i am kind of tired of 1 and done college hoop players. when calhoun was able to do this with hamilton and oakafore, it resulted in titles. i fukkin' wish he was as good at retaining players at coach k was. might be another trophy or two in the case if he was.
Ever heard of Elton Brand? Luol Deng? Kyrie Irving? Austin Rivers? All one-and-dones from Duke (well, Rivers will be).

Not saying that blame for the whole one-and-done thing should be placed at Coach K's feet, but he's as willing to use the rent-a-players as anyone else.
ucantdoitdoggieSTyle2
Eternal Scobode

Brand left after his sophomore year. Maggette was a freshman when he entered the 1999 draft.
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

smackaholic wrote:no one gave a fukk about him in the 80s.
Yes, they did. Do you not recall who the fuck Danny Ferry is? Johnny Dawkins? The hatred for Duke and Coach K started in the 80s, asshat. Final Fours in 86, 88, and 89.

Do you ever tire of being pummelled?
Do you get tired of being a moron?

Since when does FF appearances put anyone on the hated list, dumbshit?

It doesn't. If anything it gets them sympathy, sort of like UConn got when Duke was knocking them off.

Nobody gave two fukks about them one way or another until they started WINNING final fours, not just making them.
ucantdoitdoggieSTyle2
Eternal Scobode

You are so fucking wrong it's not even funny. I can't possibly the only person who hated Duke the moment he was introduced to that faggot, Danny Ferry. To this day, I'll punch him in the fucking face the next time I see him. Eat a dick. You know nothing about college hoops....

And for the record, there's been at least 9 Duke players who have left early for the draft. There may be more. How many does UConn have, moron? Less than that I am sure.
Last edited by ucantdoitdoggieSTyle2 on Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

ucantdoitdoggieSTyle2 wrote:You are so fucking wrong it's not even funny. I can't possibly the only person who hated Duke the moment he was introduced to that faggot, Danny Ferry. To this day, I'll punch him in the fucking face the next time I see him. Eat a dick. You know nothing about college hoops....
I won't pretend to be anything close to an expert. Just a very casual fan. I'm sure you know more. That doesn't change the fact that you are a bitter idiot more interested in flinging shit than discussing topics like a normal person.

Maybe it's the 'roids.

So, you are saying that there was some sort of widespread animosity towards duke years before they started collecting jewelry?

I doubt it.

Outside of the state of NC, I doubt anyone gave even the smallest fukk.
ucantdoitdoggieSTyle2
Eternal Scobode

smackaholic wrote:I won't pretend to be anything close to an expert. Just a very casual fan. I'm sure you know more. That doesn't change the fact that you are a bitter idiot more interested in flinging shit than discussing topics like a normal person.
It's painfully obvious you're a bandwagon bitch of a fan with limited knowledge of the sport. I am arguing your topics, one dumbassed take at a time. I just dismantled your latest steaming pile of rhino dung. I can count 9 Duke players who entered the draft early. Is that more, less, or the same as UConn? The way you're talking, UConn's number must be around 15. Get back to me on that one, bitch. Or don't.
smackaholic wrote:So, you are saying that there was some sort of widespread animosity towards duke years before they started collecting jewelry?
Nobody likes rich entitled white boys whose shit doesn't stink and a rat-faced douche for a coach.
SunCoastSooner
Reported Bible Thumper

Post by SunCoastSooner »

Nobody likes rich entitled white boys whose shit doesn't stink and a rat-faced douche for a coach.

Isn't every black kid at UConn on the football or basketball team?
BSmack wrote:I can certainly infer from that blurb alone that you are self righteous, bible believing, likely a Baptist or Presbyterian...
Miryam wrote:but other than that, it's cool, man. you're a christer.
LTS TRN 2 wrote:Okay, Sunny, yer cards are on table as a flat-out Christer.
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

SunCoastSooner wrote:

Isn't every black kid at UConn on the football or basketball team?
no. plenty of balck students at UConn. they get in if they spell their name right on the SAT. white kids need to actually have fairly decent grades, these days.
smackaholic
Walrus Team 6

Post by smackaholic »

smackaholic wrote:I won't pretend to be anything close to an expert. Just a very casual fan. I'm sure you know more. That doesn't change the fact that you are a bitter idiot more interested in flinging shit than discussing topics like a normal person.
It's painfully obvious you're a bandwagon bitch of a fan with limited knowledge of the sport. I am arguing your topics, one dumbassed take at a time. I just dismantled your latest steaming pile of rhino dung. I can count 9 Duke players who entered the draft early. Is that more, less, or the same as UConn? The way you're talking, UConn's number must be around 15. Get back to me on that one, bitch. Or don't.
smackaholic wrote:So, you are saying that there was some sort of widespread animosity towards duke years before they started collecting jewelry?
Kids leave Duke early, just like any school, but, Kyyrzzzzkkssttszdfogierneireoebghski seems to have a knack for holding them longer than other top teir programs. Are you saying this is not the case?
ucantdoitdoggieSTyle2
Eternal Scobode

13 Duke players have have entered the draft early since 1999.

Elton Brand
Corey Maggette
Trajan Langdon

Jay Williams, junior — Round 1 (2) — Bulls
Mike Dunleavy, Jr., junior — Round 1 (3) — Warriors
Carlos Boozer, junior — Round 2 (35) — Cavaliers

Luol Deng, freshman — Round 1 (7) — Suns

*Shavlik Randolph, junior — Undrafted

Josh McRoberts, soph. — Round 2 (37) — Trail Blazers

Gerald Henderson, soph. — Round 1 (12) — Bobcats

Kyrie Irving, freshman — Round 1 (1) — Cavaliers

Austin Rivers, freshman — ???
Mason Plumlee, junior — ???

Meanwhile. 13 players have left early for the draft from UConn... total. This is just another case of you not knowing WTF you're talking about.

If you want to stop eating my fist, let me know. Or keep on posting one turd after another. Your choice....
Van
2012 CFB Bowl Pick Champ

Post by Van »

ucant wrote:Now... we're at the top of the heap. We are Duke, you moron.
Not even close. You're a Johnny-come-lately Michigan St, if that. One more title, but only half the Final Four appearances. No one views UConn's program in the same light as Duke's. You'll need another dozen Final Four appearances before there's even a discussion.

I can't stand Duke, but they're legitimate college hoops royalty.
Joe Satriani is a mime, right? - 88

Show me your dicks. - trev
ucantdoitdoggieSTyle2
Eternal Scobode

Van wrote:Not even close.
Okay. Let me amend that. We're better than Duke.

We own Duke. Duke is the shit on the bottom of our sneakers on the way to another National Championship.

We have more championships (including this year of course) in the last 20 seasons than Duke.

Duke aspires to be as good as UConn. Happy?

How do you like me now?
Van
2012 CFB Bowl Pick Champ

Post by Van »

ucantdoitdoggieSTyle2 wrote:How do you like me now?
About the same as before...a little less than Michigan St or Louisville.

ucantdoitdoggieSTyle2
Eternal Scobode

Zero titles in the last 25 years... that Louisville? Are you going to throw UCLA at me... because ya know, they were also pretty epic last century.

When you're ready to talk about the here and now, let me know. Until then, enjoy your trip down memory lane.
Van
2012 CFB Bowl Pick Champ

Post by Van »

Four appearances total in the Final Four does not a comparison to Duke make. EOS.

MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

When I think of college basketball "royalty" the names that immediately come to mind are Duke, North Carolina, Kansas, Kentucky, UCLA and Indiana. Overall history and tradition is enough to clinch a spot for those last two. In that next tier I would put UCONN, Louisville, Michigan State, Syracuse, Georgetown, Arizona. Maybe Florida for what they've done over the last 10 years or so. But that is not based on numbers, just how it "seems" to me.