NCAA tournament games thread

The Madness isn't confined to March here!

Moderators: the_ouskull, helmet, Shine

MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

NCAA tournament games thread

Post by MgoBlue-LightSpecial »

So far the theme is no lead is safe. MSVS blows a lead in historical fashion in a basketball game that was worse than watching old people fucking while playing basketball. Too bad I took a power nap during this comeback, but woke up right before WKU's go-ahead basket. Then the MVSU dude squares up for a wide open 3 to win the game and promptly air balls it. A fitting way to end the game. At least we get to see more of that 7 foot Sudanese dude with enough real estate on his forehead for an amusement park.

And then here's BYU clanking 3s and getting run out of the gym against what looked to be a very formidable Iona squad. Too bad I went to bed and missed that comeback as well.

Oh, and UNWAR getting TRUtv in regular def, but not HD.
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Re: NCAA tournament games thread

Post by Screw_Michigan »

MgoBlue-LightSpecial wrote:And then here's BYU clanking 3s and getting run out of the gym against what looked to be a very formidable Iona squad. 2oo bad I went to bed and missed that comeback as well.
Nice bedtime you got there, grandpa.
kcdave wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 8:05 am
I was actually going to to join in the best bets activity here at good ole T1B...The guy that runs that contest is a fucking prick
Derron wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 3:07 pm
You are truly one of the worst pieces of shit to ever post on this board. Start giving up your paycheck for reparations now and then you can shut the fuck up about your racist blasts.
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Thank you for your contribution. :meds:
Shine
Leads all Lists

Post by Shine »

Murray St looked good today. I think they'll match-up well in a presumptive game with Marquette.
"Our staff is going to ensure that anyone who attends this University and wears the Indiana uniform will make this privilege among their highest priorities and not treat the opportunity as an entitlement,'' Crean said in a statement. "We fully expect our student-athletes to accept the responsibilities academically, athletically and socially that come with representing one of the top programs in college basketball history."
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

I'm rarely one to complain about officiating, but UNC Asheville is getting fucked hard by the refs. No lube. Christ, this is ridiculous.
Shine
Leads all Lists

Post by Shine »

Certainly some suspect calls/no-calls down the stretch but the refs aren't why UNC-A couldn't close the deal. This is just another in a somewhat long list of 1-16 games where the 1 seed looks ugly but wins. Survive and advance.

As a favored seed playing late in the day I do NOT like how chalky the tournament has been thus far. Bound to be a few upsets.
"Our staff is going to ensure that anyone who attends this University and wears the Indiana uniform will make this privilege among their highest priorities and not treat the opportunity as an entitlement,'' Crean said in a statement. "We fully expect our student-athletes to accept the responsibilities academically, athletically and socially that come with representing one of the top programs in college basketball history."
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

There's no guarantee they would've won, but the game would've at least come down to the wire had they not gotten consistently fucked in the last 5 minutes.
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

Chalk so far, boo...
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

The Big 12's Big 10 team (Iowa St) looking pretty good.
M2
2005 Cryin' Ryan Winner

Post by M2 »

Got a good one going on at "The Pit".

Colorado looks to be too much for a UNLV team that hammered North Carolina.
Truman
Eternal Scobode

Post by Truman »

MgoBlue-LightSpecial wrote:The Big 12's Big 10 team (Iowa St) looking pretty good.
The Pac 12's Big XII team (Colorado) doesn't look so bad either, Mgo.

Good start for the XII. Let's see if Mizzou, Tejas, and the Beakers can hold their end of the stick tomorrow.
M2
2005 Cryin' Ryan Winner

Post by M2 »

A wild one out West... The Bison are starting to choke on some Cactus.

20 point lead down to 5 with 5 to go.
Shine
Leads all Lists

Post by Shine »

Shoalzie wrote:Chalk so far, boo...
Never understood this sentiment. I want to watch good basketball. Typically that means better teams, which typically means better seeded teams. I could care less about a Cinderella story. The title game last year was dreadful because Butler was severely outclassed in the talent department. I'll take a bunch of 1,2,3 seeded teams advancing, thank you very much.

But Kentucky and Duke can get fucked of course!
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Shine, I would've liked to see the committee put UNC and IU in the same region for a Zeller/Zeller battle. That would've been sweet...though I suppose they would've had to swap some seeds. An IU/UK rematch is still pretty good.
Shine
Leads all Lists

Post by Shine »

Honestly that's what I was expecting, to be in UNC's region. And all they would have had to do is swap us and Michigan, both 4 seeds from the B1G. Could've been done easily.

VCU is gonna be tough. A rematch with UK is far from a certainty!
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Thank god FSU pulled that shit out. Final Four team for me.

Norfolk State giving Mizzou all they can handle in one half of basketball.
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

MgoBlue-LightSpecial wrote: Norfolk State giving Mizzou all they can handle in one half of basketball.
one and a half and I am seriously freaking out. I left work early for this shit.
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Clean block. Let 'em play, Showtime Eddie.
M2
2005 Cryin' Ryan Winner

Post by M2 »

Some nice "home cooking" going on for Misery. That's the third clean block I've seen that's called a foul on
Norfolk St.

Does Mizzou know that they're playing a #15 seed and the tourney started ?
M2
2005 Cryin' Ryan Winner

Post by M2 »

Biggest choke job EVER ???
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

I figured the Spartans would beat Mizzou, I just didn't think it would happen in the first round.
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

I don't know what to say, except... nice job Norfolk St.
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

now, where did I put that shower rod?
War Wagon
2010 CFB Pickem Champ

Post by War Wagon »

Jsc810 wrote:Damnit. Yeah I like upsets, but this one doesn't feel as good as I would like. Sorry War Wagon and other Mizzou guys.
wow... as much hell as I've given you....

Thanks.

You sir, are a class act and as low as I feel right now, that made me feel better.
M2
2005 Cryin' Ryan Winner

Post by M2 »

What is with these Virginia teams ... George Mason, Norfolk St, Va Commonwealth.
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

I hate losing money but that's why they call it gambling...love those kind of upsets though.
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

Shine wrote:
Shoalzie wrote:Chalk so far, boo...
Never understood this sentiment. I want to watch good basketball. Typically that means better teams, which typically means better seeded teams. I could care less about a Cinderella story. The title game last year was dreadful because Butler was severely outclassed in the talent department. I'll take a bunch of 1,2,3 seeded teams advancing, thank you very much.

But Kentucky and Duke can get fucked of course!

Usually, the cream will rise to the top in the end once all the craziness ends in the first weekend. We've had the wild finishes and upsets in this opening weekend and I was actually bored with yesterday's games. Today has picked up the pace. Sparty is definitely in the driver's seat in their region now. Once we get to the second weekend, I'm not so big on worrying about seeing upsets...that's usually when the real basketball starts.
M2
2005 Cryin' Ryan Winner

Post by M2 »

Duke and Michigan are going down.

Nothing better than watching Duke go down.
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

This was a flawed Michigan team that overachieved...they'll be better next year.

At least Duke's in trouble though... :hfal:
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Wolvie Nooo!!!
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

I think we're seeing the death of the perimeter teams tonight. Michigan, Missouri and Duke...heavily reliant of threes and weak on the glass. I don't think we'll see Kansas and Michigan State stub their toe tonight but who knows at this point.
M2
2005 Cryin' Ryan Winner

Post by M2 »

The San Francisco Bay Area boys are making a huge comeback in Omaha...
M Club
el capitán

Post by M Club »

ohio just played well. i got the impression from the michigan sites that cooper was a chucker, which normally i'd be all "awwwwwwww yeah," but homeboy played a smart game and didn't take many bad shots at all. tore our "oh hey we're unreasonably known for the 1-3-1 but we're not going to play any zone at all" defense apart, for sure.

michigan, i don't know. i want to be optimistic about next year considering the size, athleticism, and actual talent coming in (not to mention never again having to throw smotrycz in at the 5), but i just can't shake the feeling burke's going to go through the whole "just getting an evaluation - declared for the draft but didn't hire and agent - fuck it i'm gone" thing.
M2
2005 Cryin' Ryan Winner

Post by M2 »

Long Island is going to give State some trouble tonight...

Could State and Michigan both go down tonight ???
M2
2005 Cryin' Ryan Winner

Post by M2 »

Long Island needs to have one of their boosters buy 3 or 5 "Happy Meals" for Nix at halftime.

Mariucci's mini-me... is one of the best at making halftime adjustments.

... and why in the hell did south Florida go back to being south Florida... and not knocking down 99% of their shots like they did a couple of days ago ?

That's right... Monty didn't go to the zone until halfway through the 2nd half where Cal knocked off 20 points of a 30 point lead.
Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

Just stopping by to say Hail to the Victors and fuck Puke.
kcdave wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 8:05 am
I was actually going to to join in the best bets activity here at good ole T1B...The guy that runs that contest is a fucking prick
Derron wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 3:07 pm
You are truly one of the worst pieces of shit to ever post on this board. Start giving up your paycheck for reparations now and then you can shut the fuck up about your racist blasts.
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Draymond Green with the triple double. Nice effort by LIU. Hung tough for a while there.
MuchoBulls
Tremendous Slouch

Post by MuchoBulls »

YEAH BABY!!!

Terrible first half, but our D keeps us in games.
Dreams......Temporary Madness
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

Well, since Michigan is out of the way...I'm all for USF stomping a mud hole in OH-IO-U on Sunday.
Shine
Leads all Lists

Post by Shine »

Really glad now I took Xavier to knock off Duke in the second round and had MSU beating Mizzou in every bracket.

Other than IU, for me these are the must watch games of round 2:

- New Mexico and Louisville
- Murray St and Marquette
- Cincy and F$U

I'll watch every game of course though!