Steak

"Hey Mikey"

Moderator: Mikey

Goober McTuber
World Renowned Last Word Whore

Steak

Post by Goober McTuber »

Just curious as to how many of you still cook your steaks on a grill? I suppose anything’s possible in a cooking forum modded by some fuck-knuckle who uses mock bacon.

This recipe is from Alton Brown. It is money.

Bring steak(s) to room temperature. (Steak should be about 1½-inch thick).

Place 10 to 12-inch cast iron skillet in oven and heat oven to 500 degrees.

When oven reaches temperature, remove pan and place on range over high heat. Coat steak lightly with oil (something with a high smokepoint like peanut oil or grapeseed oil) and season both sides with a generous pinch of salt. Grind on black pepper to taste.

Immediately place steak in the middle of hot, dry pan. Cook 30 seconds without moving. Turn with tongs and cook another 30 seconds, then put the pan straight into the oven for 2 minutes. Flip steak and cook for another 2 minutes. (This time is for medium rare steaks. If you prefer medium, add a minute to both of the oven turns.)

Remove steak from pan, cover loosely with foil, and rest for 2 minutes.

The grill is fine for chicken and brats, but this is the only way to do steak at home.
Joe in PB wrote: Yeah I'm the dumbass
schmick, speaking about Larry Nassar's pubescent and prepubescent victims wrote: They couldn't even kick that doctors ass

Seems they rather just lay there, get fucked and play victim
Mikey
Carbon Neutral since 1955

Re: Steak

Post by Mikey »

Goober McTuber wrote:
The grill is fine for chicken and brats, but this is the only way to do steak at home.
You're a fucking idiot.
Goober McTuber

Post by Goober McTuber »

Mikey wrote:
Goober McTuber wrote:
You're a fucking idiot.
Have you ever cooked a steak in this manner Mikey? How else are you going to get a steak-house type steak at home? You think Ruth’s Chris cooks steaks on a grill?
schmick, speaking about Larry Nassar's pubescent and prepubescent victims wrote: They couldn't even kick that doctors ass

Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Goober McTuber wrote:
Mikey wrote:
Goober McTuber wrote:
You're a fucking idiot.
Have you ever cooked a steak in this manner Mikey? How else are you going to get a steak-house type steak at home? You think Ruth’s Chris cooks steaks on a grill?
I'm not saying that pan searing your steak is wrong, but the only way? Just because Ruth's Chris does it that way? I don't think so.

Peter Luger's, voted the best steak house in NYC for the past 28 years broils their steaks (supposedly under 1800 deg heat). While that's not grilling, it's also not pan searing and roasting.

A lot of steakhouses grill or broil their steaks. You think you can't cook a great steak on the grill? Then you must not know how to use a grill.
Goober McTuber

Post by Goober McTuber »

You cannot possibly maintain all of the juices in the steak on a grill. The only advantage to grilling the steak is that the juices fall onto the heat source below and create smoke that adds a layer of flavor, but at the the cost of some of the juices.

Why am I arguing with you? When you want steak I'm sure you just pull a Costco pre-cooked cube steak out of your freezer and nuke it, you culinary hack.

R-Jack
Non Sequitur Legend

Post by R-Jack »

So by your own admissions, you are sacraficing more flavor for more juice?

Pan searing is great, but that doesn't change the obvious admission that you absolutely suck at grilling.
Goober McTuber

Post by Goober McTuber »

R-Jack wrote: So by your own admissions, you are sacraficing more flavor for more juice?
Pan searing is great, but that doesn't change the obvious admission that you absolutely suck at grilling.
Most good steakhouses agree, as they typically cook steaks on a flat-top and finish them in the oven.
I grilled seaks for a good portion of my adult life. It's not that difficult. But searing and roasting will bring out the best flavor in the meat, even if it doesn't satisfy your macho master of fire psychological needs.

Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Goober McTuber wrote: Most good steakhouses agree, as they typically cook steaks on a flat-top and finish them in the oven.
And you know this...how? Have you done a poll? Been to most of them?

I grilled steaks for a good portion of my adult life

Impressive. Just because you couldn't do it right doesn't mean that millions of others can't.

It's not that difficult.
You're right, it's not. Obviously you have problems with it though.

But searing and roasting will bring out the best flavor in the meat.
Maybe so, but you apparently can't tell the difference because Ruth's Chris, your standard of excellence, doesn't to it that way. They broil their steaks at 1800 degrees.

even if it doesn't satisfy your macho master of fire psychological needs.
Your latent (or not so latent) homosexual insecurity is really coming out here. Maybe you should just embrace it.
Goober McTuber

Post by Goober McTuber »

Mikey,

Sorry, I mis-spoke on Ruth’s Chris. They use an 1800° infrared broiler, probably like the one you have at home. Which accomplishes the searing pretty nicely, I’m sure. I’m a bit more familiar with high quality local steakhouses, a couple of which I worked in during my younger days. They always cooked steaks on flat-tops, finished them in the oven.

BTW, here’s how the Vice President of Culinary and Purchasing for Ruth's Chris Steak House suggests cooking a steak at home (if you don’t happen to have an 1800° infrared broiler):

http://www.chefscatalog.com/recipe/deta ... house.aspx

Suck it, Nancy-boy.

mvscal
Blank

Post by mvscal »

Goober McTuber wrote:Just curious as to how many of you still cook your steaks on a grill? I suppose anything’s possible in a cooking forum modded by some fuck-knuckle who uses mock bacon.

This recipe is from Alton Brown. It is money.
You must live alone.

I will, on rare occasions, pan fry a steak but I grill them for the most part. Pan searing just isn't a very practical method when cooking for more than two people which, in my case, is almost never.

As far as not being able to produce a juicy steak on the grill, it's been my experience that the only time a steak isn't juicy is when it has been left on the grill for too long or hasn't been allowed to rest before serving. Oh, you can spare me the thoughts of Ruth's Chris "culinary vice president." I couldn't care less what he thinks. I've been there and they can't come close to what I can do on a grill.

Steakhouses in general are a joke, as far as I'm concerned. They're wildly overpriced and the product is most usually inferior to what I can do at home for half the price or less. I'll go if you're buying, but that's about it.

The bottom line is that heat is heat and the source really doesn't make any difference.
Screw_Michigan wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:39 pmUnlike you tards, I actually have functioning tastebuds and a refined pallet.
R-Jack
Non Sequitur Legend

Post by R-Jack »

Goobs,

From your link.............
To create the perfect meal of steak and fries indoors this winter:
Why would he specify a season for indoor cooking? :lol:
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

R-Jack wrote:Goobs,

From your link.............
To create the perfect meal of steak and fries indoors this winter:
Why would he specify a season for indoor cooking? :lol:

Remember, Goobs has been cooking indoors for the past 6 or 7 months. He probably doesn't remember what a grill looks like.

My grills (yes more than one) don't get to 1800 deg but they get plenty hot and they sear a steak just fine. They come out plenty juicy if you:

1. Start with good quality meat
2. Bring it to room temperature before cooking.
3. Get your grill really hot before throwing the meat on.
4. Don't cut into it to see if it's done (this takes a certain amount of competence and self-confidence, of which Goobs obviously has plenty of the latter but not much of the former).
5. Let it rest before serving.

Mvscal's point about cooking for multiple peeps is a good one. I can just see the old fart with three or four cast iron skillets simultaneously on his Viking and then throwing them all in his 500 deg oven at the same time.

I normally (i.e. weeknights) cook on a gas grill, if I'm grilling, because it's quick and easy (yeah, just like pre-cooked bacon :meds: ) but when I want a really tasty steak I'll put it on the charcoal grill with a couple of chunks of wood off to the side. Everybody in the family likes the slightly smokey flavor, but I end up smelling like smoke afterwards.

I'm sure the last word whore will come back again with something about it's not the right way to cook a steak. He just can't get it through his thick dome that his way, though it may be fine, isn't necessarily the only "right" way.

We also will rarely go out and order a steak. Why pay $30 for something I can do as well or better at home for 1/3 the cost. When we go out we go for something I can't or don't cook at home...high end Italian, Japanese, etc.
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

mvscal wrote: The bottom line is that heat is heat and the source really doesn't make any difference.

I was with you until this bit of stupidity.

If it's a less than high-end steak (like grocery store dreck), I have no qualms putting it in the smoker. And I'll bet it retains more juice than any technique mentioned yet...

but I guess "heat is heat."
I got 99 problems but the 'vid ain't one
Goober McTuber

Post by Goober McTuber »

Hey Mikey, do you wrap your tenderloins with that tasty pre-cooked bacon?

Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Mikey wrote:when I want a really tasty steak I'll put it on the charcoal grill with a couple of chunks of wood off to the side. Everybody in the family likes the slightly smokey flavor, but I end up smelling like smoke afterwards.

This is also an excellent technique-btw.
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Goober McTuber wrote:Hey Mikey, do you wrap your tenderloins with that tasty pre-cooked bacon?
Nope, and I rarely cook tenderloin steaks because they're pretty flavorless compared to a good NY strip or ribeye (or even a prime grade sirloin for that matter). I'll bet you buy them and wrap them up in gourmet bacon to give them some flavor, just because they cost more. I can imagine that most of the great steak houses do this before pan frying them, right? So it must be the only way to do it. My experience is that it's mostly women who like tenderloin steaks because they're easier to chew. I guess your choppers are pretty delicate at your age, though.

I wouldn't be at all surprised if you wrapped your tender loins in that tasty uncooked gourmet bacon before letting your dogs in the house.
mvscal
Blank

Post by mvscal »

Dinsdale wrote:
mvscal wrote: The bottom line is that heat is heat and the source really doesn't make any difference.

I was with you until this bit of stupidity.

If it's a less than high-end steak (like grocery store dreck), I have no qualms putting it in the smoker. And I'll bet it retains more juice than any technique mentioned yet...

but I guess "heat is heat."
Yes, it is. Last time I checked smokers use heat as well. Good job offering further confirmation of my point and kicking your own ass in the process.

The source of heat doesn't matter. You can make a tasty steak with cast iron skillet, a flat top grill, a broiler, a gas/charcoal grill and a smoker. Some even use sous vide to cook a steak and then quickly sear it after it comes out of the water bath. That would probably be the perfect way to cook a steak.
Screw_Michigan wrote: Fri Apr 05, 2019 4:39 pmUnlike you tards, I actually have functioning tastebuds and a refined pallet.
Goober McTuber

Post by Goober McTuber »

Mikey wrote:
Goober McTuber wrote:Hey Mikey, do you wrap your tenderloins with that tasty pre-cooked bacon?
Nope, and I rarely cook tenderloin steaks because they're pretty flavorless compared to a good NY strip or ribeye (or even a prime grade sirloin for that matter). I'll bet you buy them and wrap them up in gourmet bacon to give them some flavor, just because they cost more. I can imagine that most of the great steak houses do this before pan frying them, right? So it must be the only way to do it. My experience is that it's mostly women who like tenderloin steaks because they're easier to chew. I guess your choppers are pretty delicate at your age, though.
Nice IKYABWAI, Cuda.

Screw_Michigan
Angry Snowflake

Post by Screw_Michigan »

Dude, you really did a great job KYOA in this thread. What kind of pussy goes out of his way to not do a steak on the grill? Faggot.
kcdave wrote: Sat Sep 09, 2023 8:05 am
I was actually going to to join in the best bets activity here at good ole T1B...The guy that runs that contest is a fucking prick
Derron wrote: Sat Oct 03, 2020 3:07 pm
You are truly one of the worst pieces of shit to ever post on this board. Start giving up your paycheck for reparations now and then you can shut the fuck up about your racist blasts.
Goober McTuber

Post by Goober McTuber »

We're talking about steaks here, Screwball. Not the preferred techniques for gathering up another man's DNA. When we need your expertise, we'll let you know.

Truman
Eternal Scobode

Post by Truman »

Goober McTuber wrote:The grill is fine for chicken and brats, but this is the only way to do steak at home.

Served swimming, no doubt, in a vat of Jsc's pan gravy. :meds:

Just because you never believed Henry Ford's new-fangled charcoal briquet invention would ever catch on...
Mikey

Post by Mikey »

Never was much into grilling chicken myself. Takes too long, and it seems to usually come out either burned on the outside or raw on the inside, or both. Unless you're using boneless pieces.

Yeah I know you can cook it over indirect heat but then that's not really grilling, is it?
Truman
Eternal Scobode

Post by Truman »

Mikey wrote:Yeah I know you can cook it over indirect heat but then that's not really grilling, is it?
I've always referred to this method of "grilling" chicken as 'turbo-cue" or "Iron Chef barbecue". Not really low-and-slow, but you're golden in 45 minutes to an hour. Bone-in chicken does not play nice on direct fire...
Dinsdale
Lord Google

Post by Dinsdale »

Maybe I'm an alcoholic pyromaniac, but I like to do chicken in the smoker, as well. Alcohol and fire have gone hand in hand since man first discovered alcohol and fire.

Generally takes oiling the skin and some sort of Q sauce to keep the skin from getting gamey, but I'll sacrifice crisp skin for slow cooked, falling-off-the-bone bird.