Michigan, Big Ten Champions

The Madness isn't confined to March here!

Moderators: the_ouskull, helmet, Shine

M Club
el capitán

Michigan, Big Ten Champions

Post by M Club »

Just wanted to throw that out there. Thanks...Ohio State?
Shoalzie
WingNut

Re: Michigan, Big Ten Champions

Post by Shoalzie »

Makes me more pissed off with that loss against Purdue last weekend...could've won that bitch outright. Buford was money for the Bucks when Sullinger got into foul trouble.

Helluva nice year for big blue but they're going out once they run into a team that can rebound and defend the perimeter. Sparty and tOSU are bad matchups for them...they've got skilled bigs and they rebound the ball at both ends of the floor. Michigan is too small and like Duke, they depend on the outside shot. A cold shooting night will knock them out of the tourney.
MgoBlue-LightSpecial
Eternal Scobode

Post by MgoBlue-LightSpecial »

Losing sucked, but Dawson's injury sucks more. Need that guy big time.
M Club
el capitán

Post by M Club »

Shoalzie wrote:Makes me more pissed off with that loss against Purdue last weekend...could've won that bitch outright. Buford was money for the Bucks when Sullinger got into foul trouble.
Eh, Purdue dominated that game to the point I wouldn't label it a missed opportunity. More like a predictable fifth loss for a team playing 70% ball in conference.

Helluva nice year for big blue but they're going out once they run into a team that can rebound and defend the perimeter. Sparty and tOSU are bad matchups for them...they've got skilled bigs and they rebound the ball at both ends of the floor. Michigan is too small and like Duke, they depend on the outside shot. A cold shooting night will knock them out of the tourney.
Haha, like running into every other team that can suddenly rebound because they're playing Michigan.

But damn, I'ma start smoking whatever juju Beilein used on Michigan this year. Aside from the talent discrepancy and Hardaway/Smotrcyz going awol all year, we have zero post presence this year. Morgan may shoot 65% or whatever it is, but only because he runs the floor well. Imagine next year when it goes from just him to a better version of him, McGary, and Horford. Hopefully Hardaway learns how to stop being a bitch in between now and then.

Suppose we should lay much of this title at OSU and MSU's feet. Thanks for being mediocre. Not often five losses will net you the league title.
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

State got back to one of their strengths and that was the ability to bang with bigs like Green, Nix and Payne. There aren't a lot of teams in America with that kind of beef in the front court. The return match in East Lansing illustrated my worst fears with this Michigan team...they shoot sub-40% and damn near lose the rebounding edge 3:1. What drove me nuts during the season was during long stretches when the outside shots wouldn't fall and they'd end with a lot of 1-and-done trips. I can see them getting into the second weekend without a problem but they'll go down to a team that can bang down low and just outshoot them from the outside. They're a Sweet 16 team at worst.
M Club
el capitán

Post by M Club »

Ja, will be nice to finally have favorable matchups that first weekend, from a seeding perspective. Assuming they get through they have a reasonable shot at the Final Four, reasonable meaning 8% and predicated wholly on Smotrcyz making good use of his time on the court since he's responsible for just about the only favorable lineup we have w/r/t mismatches. Otherwise we're left to praying Hardaway stops being such a turnover-prone mopey bitch.
buckeye_in_sc
Eternal Scobode

Post by buckeye_in_sc »

fuck...

1st time scUM has won that bitch...since what?

scUM is a good team with great outside shooters...be interesting in the dance who their matchups are...again it's all about matchups...

and please for the love of god...NO Hess, Valentine or Hightower for any B1G team in the tourney...those guys are fucking aweful

MGO...HUGE D. Green fan here...dude is fucking badass...plus NIX has gotten light years better from beginning of the year...

that said I hope both of your squads go out in the 1st round of the dance :hfal:
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

Well that game was ass...hope it doesn't drop them to a 4 seed. If they can hang around a 3 so they won't get fed in the Sweet 16 to one of the 1 seeds with length and athleticism which has kicked their ass all year.
M Club
el capitán

Post by M Club »

that was less an indictment against michigan than osu making their case for a one seed. right? right? right?
M2
2005 Cryin' Ryan Winner

Post by M2 »

Michigan... is a mess.
Shoalzie
WingNut

Post by Shoalzie »

M Club wrote:that was less an indictment against michigan than osu making their case for a one seed. right? right? right?
I think whoever wins today should get a #1...those two were the best teams in the conference this year.

M2 wrote:Michigan... is a mess.
They're wildly inconsistent. I'll like this team better next year when they have some size. They're literally Sparty and OSU's little brother right now.